Author Topic: Cold Weather Running  (Read 4641 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Cold Weather Running
« on: November 13, 2013, 05:24:39 AM »
Was 28 degrees this morn, in my neck of the woods. Went for a 5k scamper. Wasn't too bad.

I know we have some runners, here. How cold does it have to be for you to not run? This is a question for Northeasterners, not you soft Florida and Cali types. ;)

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
Re: Cold Weather Running
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 05:26:37 AM »
loved it a lot expecially in winter or on rainy days, too bad my knees left me alone
North of Italy

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 05:32:53 AM »
For me it's never to cold for a run. Just can't do it in the morning getting out of a warm bed. I run when it's raining hard too.  Just get your self one of those nylon type running jackets and pants. Cotton sweats don't keep the wind out. Wear layers underneath and you will be fine. Blow the snots out by turning your head to the side but give a courtesy look back before.

I live in NJ where you get both a true freezing winter and true hot summer. I have said for ages. What determines what you look like during the summer depends on what you do during the winter. I guess that doesn't apply to juicers who can get in shape in 6 weeks after being all sloppy in the winter.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 05:34:23 AM »
r

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 05:46:12 AM »
For me it's never to cold for a run. Just can't do it in the morning getting out of a warm bed. I run when it's raining hard too.  Just get your self one of those nylon type running jackets and pants. Cotton sweats don't keep the wind out. Wear layers underneath and you will be fine. Blow the snots out by turning your head to the side but give a courtesy look back before.

I live in NJ where you get both a true freezing winter and true hot summer. I have said for ages. What determines what you look like during the summer depends on what you do during the winter. I guess that doesn't apply to juicers who can get in shape in 6 weeks after being all sloppy in the winter.

I find it's the head and hands that get cold. Wore a hat, should've worn gloves.  What's nice is that you hardly sweat.

cannon_fodder

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 05:56:50 AM »
Coldest I have run in was 7 degrees, luckily it doesn't get that cold too often around here

Only time it sucks running in winter is when there is a lot of ice on the ground, sure does turn the motorists into even bigger fuckwads

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 06:09:55 AM »
I try to avoid cars by running on trails, ocean boardwalks, and parks. This way I can listen to music and not worry about cars hitting me. I just started listening to music two years ago. I swore I would never run with a ear buds but now I'm hooked.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 06:12:18 AM »
Never too cold to run. I ran in 4 inches of snow for a couple miles, that was f`n hard. I trail run, going into the woods this time of year with all the colors is the best.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 06:15:50 AM »
I try to avoid cars by running on trails, ocean boardwalks, and parks. This way I can listen to music and not worry about cars hitting me. I just started listening to music two years ago. I swore I would never run with a ear buds but now I'm hooked.

I listen to podcasts. Put on one that's about the length of time you run and you're good to go.

I recently downloaded a metronome app but haven't tried it, yet.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 06:35:18 AM »
Get some running tights for when it gets really cold, i find my legs struggle to warm up when it gets really cold. Also, a decent pair of trail shoes for when there's ice and snow. I find the salamon speedcross really good.

I'd definitely rather run in the extreme cold than the extreme heat and like hrspwr said the scenery when you go off road is amazing this time of year.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 06:49:03 AM »
Get some running tights for when it gets really cold, i find my legs struggle to warm up when it gets really cold. Also, a decent pair of trail shoes for when there's ice and snow. I find the salamon speedcross really good.

I'd definitely rather run in the extreme cold than the extreme heat and like hrspwr said the scenery when you go off road is amazing this time of year.

Any you recommend?
Y

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 07:03:03 AM »
I just wear track suits. I refuse to wear the panty hose type tights. Chicks look fantastic wearing them but guys? 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 07:05:48 AM »
Any you recommend?

Under Armour cold gear..I use them early in the softball season and when I run in the winter.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 07:06:05 AM »
Any you recommend?

What, running tights? Ive got some made by Ron Hill, but i dont know if they are available in the US. A lot of the lads at work wear Nike and Under Armour ones.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 07:08:11 AM »
I just wear track suits. I refuse to wear the panty hose type tights. Chicks look fantastic wearing them but guys? 

Ha, it's all about the tights in winter and the skimpy running shorts in the summer.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 07:13:49 AM »
I've been using these socks, super comfortable.

Anyone have a shoe recommendation?

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 07:14:53 AM »
ha, you guys are going to hate me, I love running...but only on a treadmill.  Set the time for 60 minutes, turn on the TV to ESPN sport center.  Turn the brain off and just let the legs do their thing.

Over the summer I got into road cycling but now that it is getting too cold for that I am back to my tread mill running.

I

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 07:19:01 AM »
ha, you guys are going to hate me, I love running...but only on a treadmill.  Set the time for 60 minutes, turn on the TV to ESPN sport center.  Turn the brain off and just let the legs do their thing.

Over the summer I got into road cycling but now that it is getting too cold for that I am back to my tread mill running.

I do not hate you.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »

Under Armour cold gear..I use them early in the softball season and when I run in the winter.

Thanks dude.  Hope you're wearing them under pants.
Y

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 07:20:42 AM »
I've been using these socks, super comfortable.

Anyone have a shoe recommendation?

I like brooks for road and salamon for trail/offroad.

Best thing is go to a running store and get gait analysis done. They'll recommend you a suitable pair based on how your feet strike the floor. Saves on injuries in the long term.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 07:39:08 AM »
"runners"  ::)

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 07:41:58 AM »

Jogging and Softball........you know how I know you're gay?   ;D

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 07:50:14 AM »
"runners"  ::)

Running is Manly, especially in the cold!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 07:50:44 AM »
Thanks dude.  Hope you're wearing them under pants.

Yeah.....lol still looks gay because I wear shorts over them :-[

Jogging and Softball........you know how I know you're gay?   ;D

:P

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 07:53:57 AM »
Running is Manly, especially in the cold!

Yeah Buddy!