Author Topic: Ben Johnson squatted 600 pounds for 6 reps  (Read 14882 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Ben Johnson squatted 600 pounds for 6 reps
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 05:52:38 AM »
doesn't look like it in the videos. If you take a look at him squatting his trainers legs are thicker than him. Saw pictures of him where he looked a good 20 pounds heavier though and upper body was very well developed.

It may not look like it in the video, perhaps because that video was taken 10 years AFTER the Seoul games.

I've seen some shots of Ben where the muscle definition was CRAAAZY!
I don't think I'd ever seen striations like that before. It was unreal!
w

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 05:58:30 AM »
Great Video Retrospective from the runners in that race, ...and a few others.

This sure brought back memories...

w

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 06:51:00 AM »
There's no doubt he was set up. How else does someone test positive for a substance they weren't even taking? It was all about money. There was a heckuva lot of money in endorsement deals on the line, and there were those willing to ensure at any cost that the money didn't elude their interest. PERIOD!
if i dont remember wrong but im 90% sure that according to his trainer in his book ben did cykle on winstrol. But hr knew to how many weeks b4 he should stop it. Thats the strange thing

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 07:10:53 AM »
There is a "little" difference between bench squats (or box squats) and an actual squat.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 07:39:51 AM »
They were box squats with his trainer literally pulling him up on every rep. No way can he even squat what he has on the bar there to below parallel on his own. So 5 plates which I would guess are 45s , so probably 495 box squats with a lot of assistance from spotter, no way can he get anywhere near 600 x 6 below parallel.

this.  I would put his one rep max to proper depth without his buddy buttfucking him at about 475......maybe.

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 08:11:07 AM »
If anyone could do 600 x 6, they'd look a little more like Jon Cole than Ben Johnson.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 08:19:27 AM »
There is a "little" difference between bench squats (or box squats) and an actual squat.

Depends what you call little. I don´t do those anymore, but when I did a few years back, from that height, I could easily squat 60 to 80 pounds more compared to full. I agree with conkers he probably deep squatted high 400´s. Which is still triple bodyweight.

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 08:46:08 AM »
Those figures seem a little inflated to me. I remember BBC commentator Ron Pickering saying that He saw Johnson benching 315 in the gym at 165Lbs bodyweight.

As for a 600 squat for 2...possible but more like 500-550 to parallel.

He was one of the most explosive athletes in any sport i have ever seen.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 09:00:55 AM »

It depends on the stance and if it's just a "touch and go" type of box squat or a sitting box squat.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 10:10:29 AM »
Charlie Francis? Charlie Francis?  Well if Charlie Francis said it, it must be true.  I would believe something Don King said before believing Charlie Francis.
a

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 10:17:04 AM »
Have you seen harry aikines-aryeetey?! Biggest sprinter ive ever seen, trains like an animal

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 11:01:53 AM »
The thing to remember is that the squat video is 10 years or so after a prime Johnson, so you'd have to take that into account. I do think he could grind out a #600 or so in prime shape at perhaps a slightly heavier training weight. I don't believe the rep count, and depth? Well depth, is something that spectacularly subjective.

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 11:08:40 AM »
Have you seen harry aikines-aryeetey?! Biggest sprinter ive ever seen, trains like an animal

fool's pretty jacked
l

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »
Maybe at the peak of his strength cycle.

I'm pretty sure that clip of him squatting was well after he was caught juicing and was planning a come back that never materialized.

They said in the Olympic village he was putting on a strength demonstration days prior to breaking the world record. He benched over 400 with a tee shirt after doing other sets for a couple of reps He weighed about 165lbs.

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
I'm pretty sure that clip of him squatting was well after he was caught juicing and was planning a come back that never materialized.

They said in the Olympic village he was putting on a strength demonstration days prior to breaking the world record. He benched over 400 with a tee shirt after doing other sets for a couple of reps He weighed about 165lbs.

Imagine if the guy didn't restrict calories to limit his weight gain and was walking around at 260 plus...
l

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »
Imagine if the guy didn't restrict calories to limit his weight gain and was walking around at 260 plus...
He never would have ran as fast as he did. Would have squatted a shitload.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »
Charlie Francis? Charlie Francis?  Well if Charlie Francis said it, it must be true.  I would believe something Don King said before believing Charlie Francis.
haha yes. No one is never going to know for sure if it doesnt come from brn himself....i think francis even said his sthletes took 2mg winny only per Day haha

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2013, 12:11:30 PM »
in charllie Francis book speed trap  he goes on whst his athletes took including ben. The dbol was 3w on 3weeks off  they cykled like that for months on 10-15mg. The took winny to at wery low doses (according to francis you never know if its the truth) and it was stanozolol they found in his test. But the strsnge thing is it was in so high concentrated thst he must have tsken a very high dose 1 hour before the finals and ben should  knew better. Victor conte said that carl lewis coach  was let in where ben johnson was when he was waiting to take the test and bem was drinking a beer, according to victor it is a bkg chamce that carl lewis coach spiked the beer with stanozol.
But no one will find out what really happen but ben johson knew how many weeks before he should stop to beat the test and that it would make no sense to take a big dose 1 hour before the finals
its not strange at all.
winny has no ester, and can be released very randomly over next 8 days after taking it.

this is what the company who produces it says, they will be right.

it has no half worth time like other steroids.its released into bloodstream differently.

very poor choice to use when being drug tested.

n

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2013, 02:02:05 PM »
its not strange at all.
winny has no ester, and can be released very randomly over next 8 days after taking it.

this is what the company who produces it says, they will be right.

it has no half worth time like other steroids.its released into bloodstream differently.

very poor choice to use when being drug tested.

ok havent heard that before but he should vave knlw to stop it sah 3 weeks before. You would think they knew exactly when to stop to be clean at that level..thats why there are conspiracy theories that someone spiked his drink

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2013, 02:15:11 PM »
PED

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
ok havent heard that before but he should vave knlw to stop it sah 3 weeks before. You would think they knew exactly when to stop to be clean at that level..thats why there are conspiracy theories that someone spiked his drink
yeah, he most likley listen to some steroid guru who assumed if winny is effective to take every day,then half waort time must be very short etc.

when infact the packaging of pharmacy winstrol tells you how long it takes to clear the system.

even more crazy are tennis players etc who were caught with deca,lol, everyone knows how long that can be traced.
n

razzle

• Getbig II
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »
Ben weighed anywhere from 173-180 between 87-88. I met him in 89 and he's about 5'11".

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2013, 04:58:45 AM »
if i dont remember wrong but im 90% sure that according to his trainer in his book ben did cykle on winstrol. But hr knew to how many weeks b4 he should stop it. Thats the strange thing

Charlie Francois said in the book that if Ben had taken Winny up to the race day, he would not have run that fast, staying on wouldn't have tightened his muscles or something.

People may knock Charlie Francois but he is the only one who came out and said everyone was using, then it was swept under the rug. Everyone else is a worse liar than anything he could say, at least he was telling the truth. It's like cycling now, all the commentators say the 90's was the drug era and they are now all clean, hahaha

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2013, 08:15:15 AM »
Great Video Retrospective from the runners in that race, ...and a few others.

This sure brought back memories...

Awesome vid!

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2013, 04:00:25 PM »
What a joke. The fact some believe this nonsense is further proof a majority of members haven't a clue about strength.

I lifted at a gym where Ben worked out, perhaps 20-odd years ago. He was muscular but slight (still in his best shape) and wasn't capable of squatting even 405 for several reps, unaided and to legal depth.

Six hundred for six?! Do some of you fools have ANY idea how strong this is?!! Johnson was a tremendous athlete but to suggest you believe such total and outrageous bullshit is unimagineable.

P.S. In that video, he's bouncing off a bench set above parallel with 495 (at the Variety Village community centre in Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada). He's got someone pulling on him, as well. And some wank in this thread says he is good for perhaps two at 600 because he does six or whatever reps with five plates in this style?!!!

I'm done with this shit, on this here board. If it's strength-related, it's guaranteed to be full of members who just have no idea.