Author Topic: Keith Moon vs Mitch Mitchell vs Neil Peart vs John Bonham  (Read 7202 times)

ganero76

Keith Moon vs Mitch Mitchell vs Neil Peart vs John Bonham
« on: November 15, 2013, 02:01:51 PM »
Neil Peart hands down. Rush is the greatest band in the history of rock n roll.

The Idol

Re: Keith Moon vs Mitch Mitchell vs Neil Peart vs John Bonham
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 02:05:03 PM »

Not is he the most technically accomplished drummer ever, he is also a compelling lyricist.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »
Bonham is my personal favorite.  The drum sound sound on zeppelin records is so fat and full.  It sounds like a cannot firing when bonham hits the bass drum.
A

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 02:27:51 PM »
Bonham is my personal favorite.  The drum sound sound on zeppelin records is so fat and full.  It sounds like a cannot firing when bonham hits the bass drum.

I second that.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »
All four are fantastic.

Personally, I think Bonham has influenced more drummers than Peart. Not to say he's better, but he's been more of a creative force that others have benchmarked off of. I might be short-sighted on this one, since I feel Bonham's presence in my playing more than Peart's. But I'll stand by what I say.

That said, Peart is more technically sound and proficient. He's the uber god amongst the gods you've listed. Drumming to drummers is a lot like bodybuilding in some ways. We all think Ronnie 2003 is a god, but he's not what makes most work out; the more achievable physique drives the day to day behaviors that lead to physique building.

Peart's proficiency is very much out of the reach of the average drummer - he's like 2003 Ronnie. Bonhman, on the other hand, is more aspirational. Zep's music is easier to relate to, Bonham's drumming is not as time-signature heavy and progressive, and though it is far from easy to master, trying to emulate Bonham after a few years leaves one with a feeling of satisfaction that you can at least hold your own; there's nothing satisfying about trying to sound like Peart and failing miserably. In bodybuilding terms, Peart is a 2003 Ronnie...probably will never be anything like him ever again, and try as you may, you won't even come close to him. Bonhman is like a late 60's Arnold. Not really within reach, but you hear him and think "I can do that". Just like a young dog sees a late 60s Arnold and thinks "I can do that". Even though, he probably can't, he can come somewhat close and feel better about himself doing it.

So for me, Bonham is way cooler. And more influential. But Peart is the best, just like Ronnie 2003 shits all over anything anyone else has ever done.

Keith Moon...I'm sorry. I don't get it. I keep listening to the Who looking for that feeling that's inspired so many drummers, and I don't get it. He's great, but I don't get it, personally. That said, I feel like an idiot by not voting him into the top 4 because I think I just don't get it, so that's my fault.

For what it's worth, if you were listing the best four drummers from the 60s/70s in modern rock, you would have listed Ginger Baker instead of Mitch Mitchell (who is awesome by the way, but not in Baker's league).

And that's my feeling on that.

TEMPER

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 03:26:13 PM »
Excellent display of dominant drumming capabilities here. Best I've personally ever seen, and I am a leading industry expert.

Wez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 04:23:48 PM »
The opening of Kashmir.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 06:14:17 PM »

Keith Moon...I'm sorry. I don't get it. I keep listening to the Who looking for that feeling that's inspired so many drummers, and I don't get it. He's great, but I don't get it, personally. That said, I feel like an idiot by not voting him into the top 4 because I think I just don't get it, so that's my fault.

I can't get into Moon's playing either. He's all over the place, all the time. Too busy.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 06:42:23 PM »
I can't get into Moon's playing either. He's all over the place, all the time. Too busy.

I agree.  Moon went crazy on the fills and hi-hat.  One advantage bonham had over other drummers was the people producing LZ albums(Page) took a lot of special care recording and mixing his drumming.  All kinds of tricks were employed to capture what became the signature Zeppelin back beat.
A

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 07:34:06 PM »
I agree.  Moon went crazy on the fills and hi-hat.  One advantage bonham had over other drummers was the people producing LZ albums(Page) took a lot of special care recording and mixing his drumming.  All kinds of tricks were employed to capture what became the signature Zeppelin back beat.

Bonham had soul.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 07:39:08 PM »
Bonham was the modern day Buddy Rich and I would have loved to see a face off between them.  I put up the short version which shows that only Rich could match his hand speed which was quicker than the eye.  Double base with a single Speed King pedal is no joke either.

This is worth watching if you love drumming. No one could ever match his ferocious groove.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 08:21:31 PM »
Bill Ward is a favorite of mine. 

Rush is for retards, Canadians(same difference), and fagg0ts.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 08:29:32 PM »
Bill Ward is a favorite of mine. 

Rush is for retards, Canadians(same difference), and fagg0ts.

Bill Ward is a legend. His approach to playing: "I just beat the hell out of jazz."

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Bill Ward is a legend. His approach to playing: "I just beat the hell out of jazz."

Exactly!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »
carl palmer vs phil collinsvs bill bruford vs alex van halen vs louis bellson vs alan white vs tommy aldridge vs jake 'the snake roberts'vs john stamos'beach boys drummer vs lars ulrich vs cozy powell vs little drummer boy.

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 11:52:59 PM »
Ian Paice.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 06:03:41 AM »
Ian Paice.

Another great drummer.

...for me it was always Bonham...he just had a groove/soul to him that the others didn't..add that to the power he played the drums and it was magic.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 06:28:45 AM »
Ian Paice.
perfect stranger's great sound.some good italian american drummers vinny/carmine appice,bobby rodenelli rainbow,frank banali quiet riot,drummer from anthrax sp?,peter criss to an extent ,not talking technucally like peart just big drum sound types.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 08:10:15 AM »
Me too!

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »
perfect stranger's great sound.some good italian american drummers vinny/carmine appice,bobby rodenelli rainbow,frank banali quiet riot,drummer from anthrax sp?,peter criss to an extent ,not talking technucally like peart just big drum sound types.
Yup! But the greatest of all a Jew Buddy Rich! ;D

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 12:04:41 PM »
Neil Peart hands down. Rush is the greatest band in the history of rock n roll.

This says it all: