Author Topic: Walmart Holding Canned Food Drive For Its Own Underpaid Employees  (Read 19028 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Walmart Holding Canned Food Drive For Its Own Underpaid Employees
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 07:37:46 PM »
and Im guessing Im not going to see a link from you stating that the majority of FULL TIME workers make less than $25K?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 07:40:11 PM »
not all but the majority of welfare recipients are single mothers under 30 with 2+ kids who have never been married and who have at most a high school diploma.

so lets focus on that for the moment, are you ok with these recipients continuing to have children if they need assitance?

no, lets stick to this topic which is about walmart,if you want to talk about welfare moms start you own topic

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 07:45:05 PM »
no, lets stick to this topic which is about walmart,if you want to talk about welfare moms start you own topic
hahah the issue at hand is walmart supposedly not paying enough and us having to foot the bill for the rest of the cost.

WELLL part of the reason we have to foot the bill is b/c many of these people have made HORRIBLE life decisions and continue to do so.

youre the one who brought up the tax payer having to pay the difference, not me so lets keep on that same topic ok champ?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »
hahah the issue at hand is walmart supposedly not paying enough and us having to foot the bill for the rest of the cost.

WELLL part of the reason we have to foot the bill is b/c many of these people have made HORRIBLE life decisions and continue to do so.

youre the one who brought up the tax payer having to pay the difference, not me so lets keep on that same topic ok champ?

really,are you just playing dumb or are you really this dumb,not everyone that works at walmart has made HORRIBLE life decisions,like I said before not everyone can be a doc or ceo or even in the technical field. for some people this is the only job they're able to do, so what's wrong with paying them a wage they can live on.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 08:02:59 PM »
Walmart in northeast Ohio is holding a holiday canned food drive — for its own underpaid employees. “Please Donate Food Items Here, so Associates in Need Can Enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner,” a sign reads in the employee lounge of a Canton-area Walmart.

Kory Lundberg, a Walmart spokesman, says the drive is a positive thing. “This is part of the company’s culture to rally around associates and take care of them when they face extreme hardships,” he said. Indeed, Lundberg is correct that it’s commendable to make an effort to help out those who are in need, especially during the holidays.

But the need for a food drive illustrates how difficult it is for Walmart workers to get by on its notoriously low pay. The company has long been plagued by charges that it doesn’t pay its employees a real living wage. In fact, Walmart’s President and CEO, Bill Simon, recently estimated that the majority of its one million associates make less than $25,000 per year, just above the federal poverty line of $23,550 for a family of four. When the Washington DC city council passed a living wage bill requiring Walmart to pay workers a minimum of $12.50 per hour, the chain threatened to shut down its new stores if Mayor Vincent Gray didn’t veto the bill. Gray vetoed the bill.

Walmart’s low wages come at a public cost. Because low-income workers still need housing and health care, taxpayers end up doling out millions in benefits to bridge the gap faced by many of the store’s retail workers. They have also led to strikes at Walmart stores from Seattle to Chicago to Los Angeles in recent weeks.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/11/18/2960371/walmart-food-drive/

When a liberal on cut and pastes and article, I've learned to look at the link that it came from first. Since "Think Progress" is about as reliable as Obama and MSNBC I will ignore it. BTW, how is that progressive thing working? Thought so!

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 08:06:36 PM »
really,are you just playing dumb or are you really this dumb,not everyone that works at walmart has made HORRIBLE life decisions,like I said before not everyone can be a doc or ceo or even in the technical field. for some people this is the only job they're able to do, so what's wrong with paying them a wage they can live on.

Allow me to answer.  He is THAT dumb.  Along with the rest of his tea bag crew.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 08:17:09 PM »
then guess what prime, those workers need to find better jobs...

if they cant they need to obtain skills, education and experience to inable them to do so. Employees get paid what they are worth on the market. If you have few skills, little education and little experience in anything other than menial tasks why do you think you deserve money that those people who do get?

I completely agree with you. People should do the right thing, get an education, get a decent paying job with benefits and then get married and have children only when they can afford them. Unfortunately, this is not the real world. The real world is the one we live in where a small portion of the population has the bulk of the resources, while the bulk of the population, for a variety of reasons, lives near or in poverty. The proof of this is that employers, like Walmart have no trouble finding employees who will work for minimum wage or less, part-time irregular hours and without benefits. I mention irregular hours which are common in the retail business because this makes working a second job much more difficult.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2013, 08:28:19 PM »
so youre arguing that we have child limits on welfare recipients?

and for limiting the amount of money they can spend on frivolous spending like smart phone plans, booze, shoes and name brand clothing?

-Yet another brilliant idea (and I am being serious here). Let's do sterilize welfare women who exceed childbearing limits. Better yet, since so few welfare people ever get off welfare, how about we sterilize them before they ever have that first child which will probably grow up and go on public assistance too. Statistics bear this out.

Limiting how people spend their meager incomes and the money they get when on welfare is genius. In fact, with the recent reduction in the Federal food stamp allowance, this has already begun.

I do have some questions of you. How do you propose to make these changes? Government can pass laws to do the things you suggest, of course. Just who is going to enforce them and how will they do this?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2013, 08:40:36 PM »
and Im guessing Im not going to see a link from you stating that the majority of FULL TIME workers make less than $25K?

There are a couple of things about your statement which should be explored. One is that for 2013, the Federal poverty guideline is an annual income of $23,550 for a family of four. Only 47% of Americans have a full-time job. The U.S. poverty rate was at 15 percent in 2012, as roughly 46.5 million people were stuck living at or below the poverty line. There has essentially been no change for 2013.

http://www.familiesusa.org/resources/tools-for-advocates/guides/federal-poverty-guidelines.html
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/07/05/only-47-americans-have-full-time-job
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/17/poverty-america-census_n_3940812.html

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2013, 01:29:19 AM »
no what i'm saying is walmart can pay a decent wage so I don't have to cover the rest

It's not Walmart's job to pay them more than what they're worth.

My company pays me what I'm worth to them. If I want 500k a year I either;

1. Offer them skills and value worth that money, or,

2. I go elsewhere.

They can skill up and go elsewhere

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2013, 02:00:39 AM »
It's not Walmart's job to pay them more than what they're worth.

My company pays me what I'm worth to them. If I want 500k a year I either;

1. Offer them skills and value worth that money, or,

2. I go elsewhere.

They can skill up and go elsewhere

If Walmart employees are paid what they are worth and they earn less then their counterparts in other big box operations, what does this say about the caliber of Walmart employees? I guess people who shop there don't give a rip about customer service. All they want are those cheap prices on foreign made inferior goods and products.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2013, 05:37:39 AM »
If Walmart employees are paid what they are worth and they earn less then their counterparts in other big box operations, what does this say about the caliber of Walmart employees? I guess people who shop there don't give a rip about customer service. All they want are those cheap prices on foreign made inferior goods and products.

If other "big box operations" pay more, guess what, Walmart is not preventing their employees from quitting and getting a job with those other "big box operations".

And if people want to buy foreign made inferior goods and products at cheap prices that is their choice. GOOD FOR THEM. That is what the market is based on. CHOICE.

Government, libtards, democrats and RINOS should not be imposing wage increases on any industry. They come up with all these arbitray numbers. Based on what? Let the market decide what the wages should be and let employees decide where they want to work.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2013, 06:20:09 AM »
Walmart’s low wages come at a public cost. Because low-income workers still need housing and health care, taxpayers end up doling out millions in benefits to bridge the gap faced by many of the store’s retail workers.

That's the part I have a problem with. That, and the whole Debbie Shanks thing.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2013, 07:08:29 AM »

Inferior?

You have no proof it's inferior and if it really were inferior, the people will go elsewhere.

Let the market decide, not you.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2013, 07:45:58 AM »
Walmart’s low wages come at a public cost. Because low-income workers still need housing and health care, taxpayers end up doling out millions in benefits to bridge the gap faced by many of the store’s retail workers.

That's the part I have a problem with. That, and the whole Debbie Shanks thing.

exactly,been trying to get that through these FOX AND FRIENDS educated morons for the last two pages,but what do you expect,FOX NEWS SMART

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2013, 12:09:12 PM »
What is the solution?  Force a private company to pay higher wages? 

That will just hurt all consumers, including the ones getting higher wages, because the company will just pass the increased costs of doing business on to consumers, and reduce the size of their workforce.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2013, 12:17:34 PM »
What is the solution?  Force a private company to pay higher wages? 

That will just hurt all consumers, including the ones getting higher wages, because the company will just pass the increased costs of doing business on to consumers, and reduce the size of their workforce.

no ,the Walton family should be ashamed that their employees have to be on food stamps to make it

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2013, 12:18:28 PM »
no ,the Walton family should be ashamed that their employees have to be on food stamps to make it

What is the solution? 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2013, 12:22:47 PM »
What is the solution? 

maybe instead of making 20 billion,maybe they can make 15 billion and share the wealth

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »
maybe instead of making 20 billion,maybe they can make 15 billion and share the wealth

Does this happen?  The federal government passes a law forcing Walmart to reduce its profit margin and give that money to employees? 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 04:17:38 PM »
Inferior?

You have no proof it's inferior and if it really were inferior, the people will go elsewhere.

Let the market decide, not you.

It's my opinion that their products are inferior. Although I don't shop the big box Walmart stores, I have toured the local neighborhood market, which opened in West Linn a short while back and found nothing that I wanted to buy. In addition their pricing wasn't cheaper on several products I compared to those at the Safeway and Albertsons also located in West Linn.  All their meat is frozen. There is no butcher or fresh products in the store.

Apparently, I am not alone in thinking this Walmart store is no bargain because the parking lot has the least amount of cars of any of the grocery stores in West Linn. Even the high end specialty store, Market of Choice has more traffic.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 08:17:07 PM »

How about making 80 billion and not sharing any?

Why share THEIR wealth?

Every one should be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor and should only give back IF THEY WANT since it's their money NOT ANYONE ELSE'S.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2013, 08:27:02 PM »
How about making 80 billion and not sharing any?

Why share THEIR wealth?

Every one should be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor and should only give back IF THEY WANT since it's their money NOT ANYONE ELSE'S.

Can I gather from this that you are a shareholder in Walmart or a member of the Walton family?