Author Topic: Walmart Holding Canned Food Drive For Its Own Underpaid Employees  (Read 19843 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Walmart Holding Canned Food Drive For Its Own Underpaid Employees
« Reply #275 on: November 28, 2013, 10:29:44 AM »
it would be interesting to hear what those in this thread saying someone should be paid a decent wage thinks a person should be able to afford with it.

prime, RRKore, etc?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #276 on: November 28, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
not just cable but internet as well

shit my cable and internet runs me close to 150 a month and I dont have any premium channels

Oh yeah. And throw in a cell phone bill of $100 plus. Many smoke and drink.  Which is fine with me as long as we arent paying for their necessities to give them that disposable income.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #277 on: November 28, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »
it would be interesting to hear what those in this thread saying someone should be paid a decent wage thinks a person should be able to afford with it.

prime, RRKore, etc?

That is the million dollar question.   Ive read that some ultra-left thinkers believe entertainment is a right.
A

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #278 on: November 28, 2013, 11:05:52 AM »

That is the million dollar question.   Ive read that some ultra-left thinkers believe entertainment is a right.
lol doesnt suprise me at all.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #279 on: November 28, 2013, 11:06:52 AM »
lol doesnt suprise me at all.

Libraries are free.
A

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #280 on: November 28, 2013, 12:01:17 PM »
are you fucking kidding me?

most people on welfare are single mothers, who have never been married with mulitple kids, under 30 and with at most a high school diploma.

Thats A LIFESTYLE DECISION!!!!!

We were talking about wages, not welfare. You're rant is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #281 on: November 28, 2013, 12:05:26 PM »
http://blog.heritage.org/wp-content/uploads/poor-households-amenities.jpg

I dont know if this is what archer was referring to but I can name a few things on this list that are luxuries for someone who considers themself poor.

TV, DVD Player, Xbox/Playstation, cell phones, internet, stereos, cable/satellite, computers

you could argue that many more things on that list are luxuries as well like washer/driers, A/C etc.

Cell phones are not a luxury these days. In order to find employment a perspective employer needs to be able to reach you. Tin cans on a string just don't work very well these days. And of course you know for a fact that many people at the poverty level have these luxuries, right?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #282 on: November 28, 2013, 12:15:43 PM »
Cell phones are not a luxury these days. In order to find employment a perspective employer needs to be able to reach you. Tin cans on a string just don't work very well these days. And of course you know for a fact that many people at the poverty level have these luxuries, right?

actually, they do. You see hobos walking down the streets of seattle with smart phones. And you can get a basic flip phone for 20 bucks a month from walmart.

I get the feeling that you are extremely out of touch with what "poverty" has become in America, yet you argue and think that you do.

Poverty in the west is Cable LCD TV, smart phone, and one bedroom 600 sq ft apartment.  And these are the people bitching that tjey have it so fucking hard.

1st world problems, jesus christ. I lived on my own moving furniture for 9 bucks an hour in 08 when the crash hit and I was out of the military. ... I could still afford a nice place, comcast cable and internet, 2 cars (a cheap commuter and my truck), and a cell phone, on NO government benefits.  People today just want what others have and arent willing to accept that may have to start with next to nothing (which is still a shit ton more than most of the world).

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #283 on: November 28, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »
We were talking about wages, not welfare. You're rant is irrelevant to the topic at hand.
do you not understand the connection?

low wages + idiotic life decisions = welfare shithead

low wages + living within ones means = not a welfare shithead

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #284 on: November 28, 2013, 12:48:13 PM »

per the census data, yes we can see that 50% of those "poor" families did.

what do you consider "poor" prime?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #285 on: November 28, 2013, 12:49:21 PM »
People today just want what others have and arent willing to accept that may have to start with next to nothing (which is still a shit ton more than most of the world).
read and understand libtards, read and understand

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #286 on: November 28, 2013, 01:01:34 PM »
actually, they do. You see hobos walking down the streets of seattle with smart phones. And you can get a basic flip phone for 20 bucks a month from walmart.

I get the feeling that you are extremely out of touch with what "poverty" has become in America, yet you argue and think that you do.

Poverty in the west is Cable LCD TV, smart phone, and one bedroom 600 sq ft apartment.  And these are the people bitching that tjey have it so fucking hard.

1st world problems, jesus christ. I lived on my own moving furniture for 9 bucks an hour in 08 when the crash hit and I was out of the military. ... I could still afford a nice place, comcast cable and internet, 2 cars (a cheap commuter and my truck), and a cell phone, on NO government benefits.  People today just want what others have and arent willing to accept that may have to start with next to nothing (which is still a shit ton more than most of the world).

You're feeling is wrong. Several of my friends and my wife and I volunteer at shelters, feeding the homeless. My wife worked for years in the "Life and Career Options" program at a local community college. This program was designed to help people get into or back into the workforce. Many of the participants were homeless or nearly so. My wife and I help distribute food at food banks. This year we are participating in a program that gives toys to the children of currently unemployed or underemployed working folks. I believe I have a pretty good idea of what it is like to find yourself out of work and trying to support a family.

Today being Thanksgiving, my wife and I are fixing dinner for some of our family.

My sister is here for the weekend. Because of her meager income, she qualifies for food stamps and help with her utility bills. She is disabled and unemployable. Her income is SSD and a small pension as a result of the few years she worked at the DMV. She lives in a shit apartment. She does not own a car. She has one television that is ancient and it is not a flat screen TV. The computer she had, which was a gift, quit working. She cannot afford to replace it.  Her cell phone is nothing special and her service is cricket, a pay as you go minimal type service.

Later today, my nephew his girlfriend and their 2 year old daughter are coming over. They are struggling to make ends meet. Like my sister, the live in a crummy neighborhood in an apartment building filled with people living on the fringes of society. Neither my nephew nor his girlfriend take drugs. Currently, my nephew is working part time as a cook for a restaurant and picking up odd jobs where he can. His girlfriend is in school studying to become a nurse. She is currently a CNA and until recently was working at a nursing home for low wages. She has applied to the University of Oregon Medical School for work as a CNA or a Nutritionist. If she lands a position there, they will help her pay for her schooling. My nephew's cell phone has a cracked screen. I am not sure how he can read what comes up on it. I helped them move, there furniture is clean and looks like it might have come from Goodwill or it was handed down to them. It is nothing fancy. The car they drive looks like it wouldn't make it to the corner much less back a forth to work. I don't know if they qualify for food stamps (a card actually).

So I guess when you compare these two family members' lifestyles to that of some homeless people or a poor person living in a third world county, they are living the life of Riley. And one could argue that everything is relative.

I haven't heard the term hobo for years. When I was a kid living with my dad in Michigan, we kids were told not to go near the railroad tracks because of the hobos and yet people would put food and old clothing out for them. Seriously, are there still hobos in the sense of what they once were when the railroad was more viable?    

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: November 28, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »

prime, RRKore, etc?

A decent wage or a living wage? There is a difference. A decent wage is much more subjective then a living wage in my book. So if you want to talk about what someone can afford on a decent wage, you'd have to define decent. What one person thinks is a decent wage another may not.

A living wage generally means a wage good enough to provide one with the basic necessities, such as: food, shelter, clothing, transportation (whether public or a basic vehicle) and access to reasonable medical care. These are the basics everyone needs to survive. One could argue everything beyond this list is a luxury, however as I pointed out with the cell phone issue, some things are necessary for people to be able to function in today's society. Cell phones are a prime example. Given that there are hardly any pay phones, a cell phone is probably the cheapest means of necessary communication.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #288 on: November 28, 2013, 01:25:53 PM »
Oh yeah. And throw in a cell phone bill of $100 plus. Many smoke and drink.  Which is fine with me as long as we arent paying for their necessities to give them that disposable income.

-Exaggeration again. My wife and I both have cell phones. Our service provider is Verizon. Our plan is all inclusive. Granted we get a senior discount, but all things considered our monthly charges are less then $100 a month. Cricket offers pay as you go cell phone service with phones beginning at $19.99. 

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #289 on: November 28, 2013, 01:28:28 PM »
You're feeling is wrong. Several of my friends and my wife and I volunteer at shelters, feeding the homeless. My wife worked for years in the "Life and Career Options" program at a local community college. This program was designed to help people get into or back into the workforce. Many of the participants were homeless or nearly so. My wife and I help distribute food at food banks. This year we are participating in a program that gives toys to the children of currently unemployed or underemployed working folks. I believe I have a pretty good idea of what it is like to find yourself out of work and trying to support a family.

Today being Thanksgiving, my wife and I are fixing dinner for some of our family.

My sister is here for the weekend. Because of her meager income, she qualifies for food stamps and help with her utility bills. She is disabled and unemployable. Her income is SSD and a small pension as a result of the few years she worked at the DMV. She lives in a shit apartment. She does not own a car. She has one television that is ancient and it is not a flat screen TV. The computer she had, which was a gift, quit working. She cannot afford to replace it.  Her cell phone is nothing special and her service is cricket, a pay as you go minimal type service.

Later today, my nephew his girlfriend and their 2 year old daughter are coming over. They are struggling to make ends meet. Like my sister, the live in a crummy neighborhood in an apartment building filled with people living on the fringes of society. Neither my nephew nor his girlfriend take drugs. Currently, my nephew is working part time as a cook for a restaurant and picking up odd jobs where he can. His girlfriend is in school studying to become a nurse. She is currently a CNA and until recently was working at a nursing home for low wages. She has applied to the University of Oregon Medical School for work as a CNA or a Nutritionist. If she lands a position there, they will help her pay for her schooling. My nephew's cell phone has a cracked screen. I am not sure how he can read what comes up on it. I helped them move, there furniture is clean and looks like it might have come from Goodwill or it was handed down to them. It is nothing fancy. The car they drive looks like it wouldn't make it to the corner much less back a forth to work. I don't know if they qualify for food stamps (a card actually).

So I guess when you compare these two family members' lifestyles to that of some homeless people or a poor person living in a third world county, they are living the life of Riley. And one could argue that everything is relative.

I haven't heard the term hobo for years. When I was a kid living with my dad in Michigan, we kids were told not to go near the railroad tracks because of the hobos and yet people would put food and old clothing out for them. Seriously, are there still hobos in the sense of what they once were when the railroad was more viable?    
Fair enough...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #290 on: November 28, 2013, 01:28:49 PM »
per the census data, yes we can see that 50% of those "poor" families did.

what do you consider "poor" prime?

There is census data regarding who owns flat screen TV's? Amazing!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #291 on: November 28, 2013, 01:29:23 PM »
A decent wage or a living wage? There is a difference. A decent wage is much more subjective then a living wage in my book. So if you want to talk about what someone can afford on a decent wage, you'd have to define decent. What one person thinks is a decent wage another may not.

A living wage generally means a wage good enough to provide one with the basic necessities, such as: food, shelter, clothing, transportation (whether public or a basic vehicle) and access to reasonable medical care. These are the basics everyone needs to survive. One could argue everything beyond this list is a luxury, however as I pointed out with the cell phone issue, some things are necessary for people to be able to function in today's society. Cell phones are a prime example. Given that there are hardly any pay phones, a cell phone is probably the cheapest means of necessary communication.
to get a definition of "decent wage" you would have to ask the libtards in this thread that used the term, i was just asking what it meant.

so food, shelter, clothing and transportation...so for a single person lets do some math...

lets say $800 a month for a shitty but weather proof apartment with water/electricity
lets say $150 a month for food which allows for going out a few times a month
lets say $50 a month for clothes
lets say $50 a month for public transportation(A metro pass)

That is $12,600 a year or about $14,850 before taxes

at $7.50/hour that is 1,975 hours a year or about 164 hours a month or 41 hours a week. Thats before tax credits, tax refunds etc.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #292 on: November 28, 2013, 01:30:18 PM »
read and understand libtards, read and understand

This is nothing more than an opinion. Opinions are not facts. This much I understand perfectly.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #293 on: November 28, 2013, 01:33:21 PM »
True. I've long pointed out that the percent of those on govt assistance who have cable, cell phones, etc... Is very high.

Point this out with something other than just your opinion. Provide a valid link to legitimate statistics and not just a right wing nut opinion.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #294 on: November 28, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »
This is nothing more than an opinion. Opinions are not facts. This much I understand perfectly.
census data showing that the majority of "poor" have luxuries and yes a tv no matter if its a flat screen or not is a luxury if youre "poor"

census data showing that the majority of ppl on welfare are single mothers that have never been married, with multiple kids under 30 with at most a highschool diploma

are FACTS PRIME, THOSE ARE NOT OPINIONS

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #295 on: November 28, 2013, 01:35:49 PM »
Point this out with something other than just your opinion. Provide a valid link to legitimate statistics and not just a right wing nut opinion.

did you not see the link I posted?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #296 on: November 28, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »
http://money.msn.com/saving-money-tips/post.aspx?post=af23341f-50a1-4bd3-9cd1-412865aac16f

•Almost two-thirds have cable or satellite TV.
•More than half of poor households with children have a video game system.
•Half of poor households have a computer and 43% have Internet access.
•A third have a plasma or LCD TV, and a quarter have a digital video recorder.

http://polipundit.com/?p=31945

Data from the Department of Energy and other agencies show that the average poor family, as defined by Census officials:

● Lives in a home that is in good repair, not crowded, and equipped with air conditioning, clothes washer and dryer, and cable or satellite TV service.

● Prepares meals in a kitchen with a refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave as well as oven and stove.
● Enjoys two color TVs, a DVD player, VCR and — if children are there — an Xbox, PlayStation, or other video game system.
● Had enough money in the past year to meet essential needs, including adequate food and medical care.

While I dont think its ok to be ignorant about facts I understand that it does happen from time to time. It is completely unacceptable to be ignorant in the face of facts though.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #297 on: November 28, 2013, 02:23:36 PM »
to get a definition of "decent wage" you would have to ask the libtards in this thread that used the term, i was just asking what it meant.

so food, shelter, clothing and transportation...so for a single person lets do some math...

lets say $800 a month for a shitty but weather proof apartment with water/electricity
lets say $150 a month for food which allows for going out a few times a month
lets say $50 a month for clothes
lets say $50 a month for public transportation(A metro pass)

That is $12,600 a year or about $14,850 before taxes

at $7.50/hour that is 1,975 hours a year or about 164 hours a month or 41 hours a week. Thats before tax credits, tax refunds etc.

Your figures for housing, food, clothes and transportation are good examples as long as you recognize these figures vary with location. Fulltime is actually 2080 hours per year. The current Federal minimum wage remains at $7.25 per hour, however it is higher in some states. Someone working full time at current federal minimum wage earns $15,080 per year before taxes, so a little higher then your estimate.  The 2014 minimum wage is $9.10 an hour, thus someone working fulltime in Oregon at minimum wage would earn $18,928 per year.

For 2013, the Federal poverty guideline is an annual income of $23,550 for a family of four. This is the most commonly used statistic. Add $4,020 for each additional person to compute the Federal poverty level for larger families. Subtract $4,020 per person to compute it for smaller families. For example, a single-person household is considered poor if his or her income is $11,490 or less. These are the guidelines for the 48 contiguous states. Guidelines for Alaska and Hawaii are a little higher, since it is more expensive to live there. The Federal poverty level is updated every year to keep up with price increases in the previous year.

So using these figures, a single person making minimum wage and working full time is above the Federal poverty level.

One essential item you missed is healthcare. Whether a person has insurance or not, there are still costs associated with health-care even if only for over the counter medications and the occasional emergency room visit for those who do not have a regular doctor.

I'd venture a guess that there are a lot of folks who'd feel pretty flush if they could just find full time work. Unfortunately, at the lower end of the employment spectrum, full time jobs are much harder to come by.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #298 on: November 28, 2013, 02:26:59 PM »
did you not see the link I posted?

Apparently not. Here is your post. Can you point it out to me?

census data showing that the majority of "poor" have luxuries and yes a tv no matter if its a flat screen or not is a luxury if youre "poor"

census data showing that the majority of ppl on welfare are single mothers that have never been married, with multiple kids under 30 with at most a highschool diploma

are FACTS PRIME, THOSE ARE NOT OPINIONS

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #299 on: November 28, 2013, 02:28:02 PM »
libtards

ya know what's weird?  When you call someone a libtard, they will disagree with everything you say, forever, even if you're right or wrong.

I see a lot more profanity and name calling and outright insults from the repubs on getbig, I gotta be honest.  Maybe it's because they're pissed off, etc...

but i wonder if the major split in their party, their loss in 4/6 Prez races (and 2 barely wins in there), etc is maybe connected to the fact many repubs use that kind of insulting language.

I'm sure dems do it too... it just seems on getbig, it's a lot of far-right types using "libtards" and other speech.. the most ironic part?  The "libtarded" just keep on cleaning the repubs' clocks in elections.  You keep losing to someone you classify as retarded... what does that say about the repubs' performance?