Author Topic: Walmart Holding Canned Food Drive For Its Own Underpaid Employees  (Read 19029 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Walmart Holding Canned Food Drive For Its Own Underpaid Employees
« Reply #350 on: November 29, 2013, 02:40:01 PM »
I've never seen so many people on here who think their shit don't stink,i don't know if it's because they can hide behind their computer monitor or they're are truly just pompous asses  :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #351 on: November 29, 2013, 02:41:20 PM »
I've never seen so many people on here who think their shit don't stink,i don't know if it's because they can hide behind their computer monitor or they're are truly just pompous asses  :D

Are you just complaining about their wages, or are you suggesting something be done about it?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #352 on: November 29, 2013, 02:42:58 PM »
No.

I was thinking about some of the items listed as being frivolous. One thing that struck me was the microwave. You can buy a microwave new for $50 or less. Some efficiency apartments don't have cooking facilities other than a microwave. This suggests that at least in some cases a microwave is a necessity. I have already posted how I feel about cell phones being essential if one hopes to find and keep employment. I've read where some employers insist on applicants providing a phone number or they don't consider the application.

Big flat screen TV's do seem unnecessary. When I was first on my own. I didn't have any television. Didn't really want one either. I preferred reading.

For some people owning a car is a luxury and for others who live in more rural areas, it is a necessity. Owning an auto, considering payments, upkeep gas and insurance has become a major expense. I imagine this is one reason why many poor people gravitate to major cities where a car is not necessary. A one month pass on Tri-Met is $100. Unless someone lives close enough to walk or bike to work and the store, this is the least they'd spend on transportation in the Portland Metro area.

Air conditioning in Portland, OR. is a definitely a luxury since we rarely have more then a few days at a time when it is hot here in the summer. I don't have air-conditioning in my home mainly because we've just never needed it. We do have forced air heat though. That is a necessity. It is 43 out today.

I don't smoke, so cigarettes definitely seem like a frivolous item. Alcohol is too. I can't think of a reason some has to drink it.

so seeing as most "poor" have at least one tv

YOU CAN AGREE THAT MOST POOR SPEND AT LEAST SOME MONEY ON FRIVOLOUS SHIT?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #353 on: November 29, 2013, 02:43:47 PM »
I've never seen so many people on here who think their shit don't stink,i don't know if it's because they can hide behind their computer monitor or they're are truly just pompous asses  :D
im sorry we have higher expectations for people who arent mentally or physically disabled.

Soft bigotry of low expectations

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #354 on: November 29, 2013, 02:51:39 PM »
thanks abby, but shouldnt you be resting for your next occupy protest, dont forget to take pictures with your iphone while sipping your starbucks coffee.

now fuck off to whatever starbucks/headshop you work part time at leave the grown up talk to grown ups

grown up talk?
here? on a steroid site?
pleeease.
w

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #355 on: December 18, 2013, 10:55:04 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/majority-of-americans-want-minimum-wage-to-be-increased-poll-finds/2013/12/17/b6724bb0-6743-11e3-ae56-22de072140a2_story.html

Majority of Americans want minimum wage to be increased, poll finds

A large majority of Americans want Congress to substantially increase the minimum wage as part of an effort to reduce the nation’s expanding economic inequality, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

As a growing share of the country’s income flows to the very wealthiest, the poll found that 57 percent of Americans say lawmakers should pursue policies aimed at balancing an economic system they think is out of whack. Nearly two in three say federal policy is tilted toward helping the rich over Americans who are less well-off, according to the survey.

The findings come as President Obama has moved to refocus national attention on the problems of inequality and decreasing social mobility. Earlier this month, he called confronting the twin issues “the defining challenge of our time.” He added that “making sure our economy works for every working American” will be a central task of his remaining time in office.

Obama recently came out in favor of rasing the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour — a much larger increase than he had proposed in his State of the Union address in February, when he advocated raising it to $9 an hour.

Increasing the minimum wage, which has stood at $7.25 an hour since 2009, is one of the chief policy tools economists recommend to address inequality. It is also popular among everyday Americans: About two in three say the wage floor should be lifted, and the average wage suggested is $9.41 an hour.

The idea of using public policy to combat inequality is much more popular among Democrats and independents than it is among Republicans. Three in four Democrats and 58 percent of independents say Washington should pursue policies to address inequality, a sentiment that was shared by just two in five Republicans.

A similar divide is evident when it comes to the minimum wage. Eighty-five percent of Democrats support raising the wage, while Republicans are split 50-45 on the issue, the poll found.

Republicans support a lower wage floor than Democrats, when asked separately about their preferred dollar amount. On average, Democrats favor a minimum wage of just over $10, while Republicans want it to be about $8.60 an hour. Independents fall in between, supporting an average minimum wage of about $9.40 an hour. All three groups set their preferred minimum wage higher than the current $7.25, but far below a $15 wage sought by some worker advocates.

Although partisans disagree about what should be done about inequality, economists say the issue has reached dimensions not seen since the years preceding the Great Depression.

Whether calculated by comparing the growth in wages of the highest-income Americans with the lowest, or the proportion of wealth controlled by the richest Americans, or the ratio of wages for production workers to those of chief executives, inequality has grown. Americans have consistently called for government to aim policies at shrinking the gap.

Two years ago, when the Occupy Wall Street movement helped move the issue into the mainstream of political debate, a Post-ABC poll found that more than six in 10 perceived a widening wealth gap and 60 percent wanted Washington to pursue policy to address it, similar to today’s 57 percent mark. In the fall of 2012, 52 percent of registered voters shared that sentiment.

Although some policymakers point to minimum-wage increases, more widespread unionization, better education opportunities and bolstering income-support programs such as the Earned Income Tax Credit as possible remedies, enacting those policies has always proved difficult.

“A majority of the public might favor some policies that the minority that has the most influence is less enthusiastic about,” said Martin Gilens, a politics professor at Princeton University. “On some policies, there is ambivalence among the public. While there is strong support for opportunity-enhancing policies to reduce inequality, there is less support for directly redistributive policies.”

Obama has periodically invoked inequality as a problem and promised to address it. Yet economic inequality has only widened on his watch.

Between 2009 and 2012, the incomes of the top 1 percent of earners grew by more than 31 percent, according to Emmanuel Saez, an economist at the University of California at Berkeley, while the incomes of the bottom 99 percent expanded by just 0.4 percent.

“He’s got a Republican House and even members of the Democratic Party who are strongly aligned with business interest, who are at best ambivalent about some of these policies that certainly are not popular among business interests that have to foot the bill,” Gilens said. “When you have divided government and multiple veto points, policies that even a majority of people support can be difficult to adopt.”

The new Post-ABC poll was conducted Dec. 12-15 among a random national sample of 1,005 adults, including interviews on land lines and with cellphone-only respondents. The overall margin of sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #356 on: December 18, 2013, 11:11:28 PM »
Walmart in northeast Ohio is holding a holiday canned food drive — for its own underpaid employees. “Please Donate Food Items Here, so Associates in Need Can Enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner,” a sign reads in the employee lounge of a Canton-area Walmart.

Kory Lundberg, a Walmart spokesman, says the drive is a positive thing. “This is part of the company’s culture to rally around associates and take care of them when they face extreme hardships,” he said. Indeed, Lundberg is correct that it’s commendable to make an effort to help out those who are in need, especially during the holidays.

But the need for a food drive illustrates how difficult it is for Walmart workers to get by on its notoriously low pay. The company has long been plagued by charges that it doesn’t pay its employees a real living wage. In fact, Walmart’s President and CEO, Bill Simon, recently estimated that the majority of its one million associates make less than $25,000 per year, just above the federal poverty line of $23,550 for a family of four. When the Washington DC city council passed a living wage bill requiring Walmart to pay workers a minimum of $12.50 per hour, the chain threatened to shut down its new stores if Mayor Vincent Gray didn’t veto the bill. Gray vetoed the bill.

Walmart’s low wages come at a public cost. Because low-income workers still need housing and health care, taxpayers end up doling out millions in benefits to bridge the gap faced by many of the store’s retail workers. They have also led to strikes at Walmart stores from Seattle to Chicago to Los Angeles in recent weeks.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/11/18/2960371/walmart-food-drive/

A wal mart job is a stopover like working at taco bell.
You do for a summer asa kid.
Its not a career.
If its underpaid then go get paid more elsewhere.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #357 on: December 20, 2013, 08:37:12 AM »
so seeing as most "poor" have at least one tv

YOU CAN AGREE THAT MOST POOR SPEND AT LEAST SOME MONEY ON FRIVOLOUS SHIT?

So you get to define what is 'frivolous' and what isn't?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #358 on: December 20, 2013, 12:13:57 PM »
So you get to define what is 'frivolous' and what isn't?

that word looks gay, like fabulous, tony would use that over a more gender neutral word like wasteful. He went out of his way to use that word, pre-meditated gaydom.

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #359 on: December 20, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
www.fairtax.org
www.fairtax.org
end irs

tax spending

hit the rich

let poor save

no loops

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #360 on: December 20, 2013, 05:02:48 PM »
that word looks gay, like fabulous, tony would use that over a more gender neutral word like wasteful. He went out of his way to use that word, pre-meditated gaydom.

Yikes!

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #361 on: December 20, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »
Yikes!

arent you a gay old man? no disrespect intended

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #362 on: December 20, 2013, 08:36:40 PM »
arent you a gay old man? no disrespect intended

I am an old man. My sexual preferences are irrelevant. And no, I am not gay. My wife and I have been married for nearly 50 years. We have two biological, now grown children. I experimented sexually when I was young, not unlike a lot of young people do. 

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #363 on: December 21, 2013, 02:53:30 AM »
I am an old man. My sexual preferences are irrelevant. And no, I am not gay. My wife and I have been married for nearly 50 years. We have two biological, now grown children. I experimented sexually when I was young, not unlike a lot of young people do.  

I believe it was True Adonis whose grandfather once said, "if you suck one cox, you're a cox-sucker".

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #364 on: December 21, 2013, 10:31:29 AM »

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #365 on: December 29, 2013, 07:35:25 AM »

lol @ the rich wanker trying to justify low wages.

Schiff is nothing more than a con man.

All of those people refused Schiff because he's a cnut - they just had their bullshit detectors on - would you really give that tw@t a dollar?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #366 on: December 29, 2013, 07:41:51 AM »
lol @ the rich wanker trying to justify low wages.

Schiff is nothing more than a con man.

All of those people refused Schiff because he's a cnut - they just had their bullshit detectors on - would you really give that tw@t a dollar?
as opposed to the "poor" people with frivolous spending habits trying to justify not bettering themselves and expecting others to help them....

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #367 on: December 29, 2013, 08:34:36 AM »
as opposed to the "poor" people with frivolous spending habits trying to justify not bettering themselves and expecting others to help them....

There you are Tommy - I thought you had disappeared for good after my last question to you.

In terms of bettering yourself, you do realize that here are many people for who this is as good as they get, right?

My son has learning disabilities. Specifically he had language development issues. Fortunately, I was in a position where I could pay for an intervention. Where I live there is zero government help. 7 years ago you could ask my 4 year old son what he wanted for lunch and he'd either look right through you or say "spiderman, spiderman, spiderman". He WAS rain man.

So into ATOC - a special school in Bangkok at $27,000 per year and 2 years later he's back in the regular school system. He's 11 now and we did have to have another intervention when he was 8 and we may need to have another as high school progresses - he's nowhere near the bottom of the class and he's top of the class in IT.

So - whilst you may be very bored right now.

Question 1: Let's say I wasn't in a position to help him and he'd not got the help he needed. Let's say he was language deficient but hard working and the only job he could get was Wal Mart full time. Would it be right, in your opinion to pay a hard working yet 'different' person a wage that assured they could not pay for their own accommodation and food.

If so - what, in your opinion, would be the result? Would it be a man living in the streets and working at Wal Mart? Would it be a man living off Wal Mart + benefits? What exactly are the options here? Seems to me you either have more homeless people or more people living off the state if you accept that employers do not need to pay a living wage.

Question 2: let's say the parent (i.e. me) was working Wal Mart and could not afford the additional education support for a special needs kid. Should the child be denied the intervention required and end up homeless or living off the state? Or should the state intervene and pay the necessary to ensure that child developed to the best of their abilities.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #368 on: December 29, 2013, 09:23:08 AM »
There you are Tommy - I thought you had disappeared for good after my last question to you.

In terms of bettering yourself, you do realize that here are many people for who this is as good as they get, right?

My son has learning disabilities. Specifically he had language development issues. Fortunately, I was in a position where I could pay for an intervention. Where I live there is zero government help. 7 years ago you could ask my 4 year old son what he wanted for lunch and he'd either look right through you or say "spiderman, spiderman, spiderman". He WAS rain man.

So into ATOC - a special school in Bangkok at $27,000 per year and 2 years later he's back in the regular school system. He's 11 now and we did have to have another intervention when he was 8 and we may need to have another as high school progresses - he's nowhere near the bottom of the class and he's top of the class in IT.

So - whilst you may be very bored right now.

Question 1: Let's say I wasn't in a position to help him and he'd not got the help he needed. Let's say he was language deficient but hard working and the only job he could get was Wal Mart full time. Would it be right, in your opinion to pay a hard working yet 'different' person a wage that assured they could not pay for their own accommodation and food.

If so - what, in your opinion, would be the result? Would it be a man living in the streets and working at Wal Mart? Would it be a man living off Wal Mart + benefits? What exactly are the options here? Seems to me you either have more homeless people or more people living off the state if you accept that employers do not need to pay a living wage.

Question 2: let's say the parent (i.e. me) was working Wal Mart and could not afford the additional education support for a special needs kid. Should the child be denied the intervention required and end up homeless or living off the state? Or should the state intervene and pay the necessary to ensure that child developed to the best of their abilities.

first youre talking about a very very small percentage of the population that have issues such as your sons or other learning disabilities that prevent them from bettering themselves...ADHD doesnt count...so lets talk about the norm as that is what the majority of these people are.

second we are going to limit these discussison to the US as that is the only place that matters in terms of raising the minimum wage as it pertains to this discussion.

question 1: there are plenty of govt programs to help a person such as your son but guess what? you are in the position to do what you did b/c you bettered yourself. You didnt sit on your ass, spend frivilously and expect others to support you.

question 2: again the state already has plenty of programs to help a child such as that. It is not my nor anyone elses responsbility to make sure that he is successful.

Now my questions:

Question 1: You do realize that you are talking about a fraction of society that have disabilities that prevent them from bettering themself, right?

Question 2: You do realize that the vast majority of people working at walmart have the ability to better themselves and get better jobs, right?

question 3: why do you have such low expectations for people who have the ability to be better but CHOOOOOSEEEEE not to?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #369 on: December 29, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »
A wal mart job is a stopover like working at taco bell.
You do for a summer asa kid.
Its not a career.
If its underpaid then go get paid more elsewhere.

But isn't this the point, you are barking up the wrong tree.

You seem to think peole wouldn't relish a more skilled job with higher pay, THERE ARE NONE. work as hard as you want, there are no jobs out there, people are looking and giving up.

The plutocracy won't allow it. It is a career now as is welfare, the jobs are gone.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #370 on: December 29, 2013, 10:09:02 AM »

You seem to think peole wouldn't relish a more skilled job with higher pay, THERE ARE NONE. work as hard as you want, there are no jobs out there, people are looking and giving up.

The plutocracy won't allow it. It is a career now as is welfare, the jobs are gone.
actually there are plenty....plenty of jobs for higher educated individuals, plenty of jobs for people willing to do manual labor.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #371 on: December 29, 2013, 11:05:48 AM »

wow..
 Wrong, wrong and wrong. You dont even live here, how the hell would you know? There are plenty of jobs here... dont believe what MSNBC feeds you trying to scare you... I dont know anyone with any marketable skills that are still looking for work...

if you want work, its out there.

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #372 on: December 29, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
tons of work

problem is those on welfare jobs have never really worked

marx mistake was to think all jobs are productive labor

much activity is called labor that is non productive

lawyers best example

free market would minimize these things

only governmetn keep non productive lawyers n academs in silk, with stolen money from taxpayer

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #373 on: December 29, 2013, 02:34:24 PM »
actually there are plenty....plenty of jobs for higher educated individuals, plenty of jobs for people willing to do manual labor.
good gardeners are hard to find.
w

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #374 on: December 29, 2013, 04:51:06 PM »
wow..
 Wrong, wrong and wrong. You dont even live here, how the hell would you know? There are plenty of jobs here... dont believe what MSNBC feeds you trying to scare you... I dont know anyone with any marketable skills that are still looking for work...

if you want work, its out there.

So unemployment is actually low and your conservative friends lied when they said Obama has not done a good job creating jobs? ;D