Author Topic: OMFFGG! Muscle and Fitness advocates Swiss Ball Squats.Scanned pic! WTF?  (Read 22496 times)

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
Re: OMFFGG! Muscle and Fitness advocates Swiss Ball Squats.Scanned pic! WTF?
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2008, 01:30:55 PM »
dude are you fucking retarded?  :o :o :o

YAYY, I've got mail!
i

ASJChaotic

« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2008, 01:35:20 PM »
YAYY, I've got mail!
train smarter?
training on a ball is very smart  ;) good job

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2008, 01:37:32 PM »
train smarter?
training on a ball is very smart  ;) good job

I see that reading comprehension is not your strength.  You are limited by your own imagination and lack of objectivity.
i

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2008, 02:23:32 PM »
courtesy of Diesel1

R

The Coach

« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »
If someone has an injury that prevents them from doing the traditional exercise, Swiss Ball press movements ARE  viable options as it recruits stablizers that are not always challenged using the traditional lift.  I will agree that the squat on the ball is extreme and dangerous, but, I don't know why some of you are so close minded to options.  As you get older, you train smarter, not harder.

I don't advocate using just your standard garden variety Swiss Ball though as I've seen one burst under the weight of a training partner who weighed 240 who was DB pressing the 60's on a warmup.   This is the only way to go.  It's burst resistant to 2,000 lbs: http://www.power-systems.com/p-3354-power-versaball-r.aspx

Here's 275, flat bench, on a ball and I was about 185, clean at 5'8.  I had arthroscopic surgery in 2000 and this was in '03 if I remember correctly.  Don't limit yourself because something looks weird or out of place, it may be beneficial to add to your program on occasion.  Just something to ponder.

You failed to mention where you had the surgery. Reguardless, when I see shit like this I just have to ask what the hell you were thinking? Look, I use stability balls in some of my training and if you know how and when to use them and for the right reasons, it's a good training tool. But dude...c'mon, this is just one step above the idiot who's squatting on the ball and the dumbshit trainer who told him to do it.

ASJChaotic

« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2008, 05:22:42 PM »

You failed to mention where you had the surgery. Reguardless, when I see shit like this I just have to ask what the hell you were thinking? Look, I use stability balls in some of my training and if you know how and when to use them and for the right reasons, it's a good training tool. But dude...c'mon, this is just one step above the idiot who's squatting on the ball and the dumbshit trainer who told him to do it.

thank god the coach doesn't support the stability ball bullshit  ;D
what's next?
deadlifts off of stability balls?  ???
and does anybody know what this idiot is thinking?  :-\ is this how he developed those massive quads?  ;D

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »
Those ball things should all be destroyed on sight

ASJChaotic

« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2008, 05:44:41 PM »
Those ball things should all be destroyed on sight
I saw a girl doing arnold turning shoulder presses while standing next to a huge glass window this morning
now my gym is on the 2nd story and if she loses her "stability"....then  :-X

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2008, 03:36:33 AM »

You failed to mention where you had the surgery.

Left shoulder, capsullary (sp?) shrinkage to correct chronic dislocations.  Injury originated from a motorcycle accident and continued from working out and work related issues.

Opinions are what they are, you're entitled to yours, but...don't knock it till you've tried it.
i

TPSRPBBW-fan1

• Getbig II
  • Liberal is not a bad word
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2008, 08:03:10 AM »
squats are naturally an unstable exercise, they started standing on sloped wooden blocks so that you could hit different areas of the quads, in fact they added the box squat so it would be more stabilized (and less hardcore).  Squatting on a ball won't strengthen your legs, wont really do much of anything really, except prepaire you for being a ninja, i guess  ::).  This is why flex is so much better of a magazine than Muscle and Fail, i mean fitness.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2008, 03:14:55 PM »
 ;)

dutchmanart

• Getbig III
  • There's a time and a place for everything.
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2008, 04:07:05 PM »
This has got to be the stupidest thing I've seen in years.

So this is a  new and improved way to workout?  Yeah right.

You won't be able to do anything when your compound fracture your ankle.  Not to mention when you do fall off screwing up your back so bad you can't stand straight up for 6 months.

I've seen stupid shit like this before but not as dangerous.

It's just GIMMICKS, GIMMICKS, GIMMICKS.

Wait till someone really fucks themselves up bad and end up suing the trainer, the gym, and the Swiss Ball  manufacturers and ends up with millions.

Then and only then will people get smart about stupid gimmickry fads like this shit.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek