Author Topic: Dude drops 545 pounds on his chest  (Read 4317 times)

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
Re: Dude drops 545 pounds on his chest
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 07:04:10 AM »
I dont think it will happen as the shirt makers are the prime sponsors. 

ok, this make sense.
in other words it will never happen because of commercial reasons.
North of Italy

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 09:03:59 AM »
Holy shit, I jump out of my chair.......where were these spotters?......well, at least he didn't leave in an ambulance.....I don't know which hurt him more....his Ego or the weights

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 09:33:29 AM »
Classic case of bad spotters.  Obvious the guy's were just stroking it and inexperienced.

That woman's voice...... annoying, annoying, annoying...etc.
F

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 10:18:05 AM »
"Cut the red shirt off, it's very tight"

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »
Pecs of peace....

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 01:33:19 PM »
 that russian kid died      very dangerous     spotters sucked

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 01:36:40 PM »
I dont think it will happen as the shirt makers are the prime sponsors. 

their egos won't let it happen.

A

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
Bench shirts are retarded to begin with.  I have a friend who could lift in the high 300's, but could never quite get 405 raw.  He competed in a competition though with a bench shirt and got 485.  Go figure.  You might as well have magic fingers helping you if you are using a bench shirt. 

I'm a raw competitive bench presser.  While I dislike equipped lifting, especially multiply, I am a realist and realize it is not going anywhere.  Thankfully most organizations have a raw division now.  Raw was almost dead a few years back but made a huge comeback. 

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2013, 04:09:37 PM »
I knlw a guy that 6 years ago when he was 50 dropped 380 pounds from the top position,  he didnt have a tumbgrip so the bar rolled down and broke his sternum. He said he tought he was going to die from the pain, it was by far the worse paim he had and he has ben trough alot in his life

that was not a super smart move  :-\

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2013, 04:36:36 PM »
I'm a raw competitive bench presser.  While I dislike equipped lifting, especially multiply, I am a realist and realize it is not going anywhere.  Thankfully most organizations have a raw division now.  Raw was almost dead a few years back but made a huge comeback. 

When I competed it was for the most part raw or first generation single ply (like a tight tee).  I was benching in the high 4's when I came out of the groove and it likely would have landed on my neck, however, I had two great side spotters that never left the bar (I was in the 198's). 

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2013, 05:16:29 PM »
  there has to be a better way to spot

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2013, 08:43:39 PM »
I never understood the concept of assisted lifts. Literally....I don't get it. Triple ply Bench shirts? What the fuck for? Hell might as well just go over to the smith rack and have your competition on the smith rack press.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
I saw a big fat guys drop over 1000 pounds on himself when his bench shirt failed at the Mr O night show a few years ago. Saw him later in the elevator and his chest and back was black and blue. I thought it was going to kill him.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2013, 03:34:59 AM »
  there has to be a better way to spot

there totally is... maybe it was the end of the day and they were tired or else it was a shit meet

when i used to spot (in comps that i wasn't in) we stayed way closer to the bar... bench is one thing but lazy spotting like that on squats can cripple or kill someone easily

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2013, 05:20:27 AM »
there totally is... maybe it was the end of the day and they were tired or else it was a shit meet

when i used to spot (in comps that i wasn't in) we stayed way closer to the bar... bench is one thing but lazy spotting like that on squats can cripple or kill someone easily

is the number of spotters ruled or it's just up to the organizer of the meeting?
North of Italy

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2013, 05:24:11 AM »
I never understood the concept of assisted lifts. Literally....I don't get it. Triple ply Bench shirts? What the fuck for? Hell might as well just go over to the smith rack and have your competition on the smith rack press.

Initially, it was to provide support at the bottom of the lift, where the body is most vulnerable to injury.

Assisted lifting is pretty gay, but the strongest assisted lifters are almost always the strongest raw lifters so it's not really a big deal in my eyes

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2013, 06:08:35 AM »
I never go below six reps

I would never go for a heavy single now

the risk far outweighs the reward

the reward being boosting ego

the risk everything else

As you age you realize that ^^this makes more and more sense.

At 48 years old, dodgy shoulders and 30 years of training behind me, I would never go below 10 reps on the bench now.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
is the number of spotters ruled or it's just up to the organizer of the meeting?

2 - 5, with 3 being the average on regular lifts. But you could call for 5 on a very heavy lift. And of course if there is an accident, everyone can rush in.

For squat, a lot of the federations are adding safety straps like this in addition, that are set below parallel, but still can catch the bar -

For Bench, the moves have been slower, But some, most notably the IPF / USAPL, have started using safety stands -

The biggest thing is money and time. Most meets are small time things, so the directors don't want to buy and move new gear. They also don't want to have to adjust the equipment each time to fit a lifter when many meets are almost all day things.

There are also arguments that it would affect judging, photos, etc....

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
since you're a professional in this sport I honestly would like to know your opinion: wouldn't it be better to just take out of the sport the bench shirt?
Of course the old records will never get beaten but you still have all the new to be set.
What's your opinion on this subject?

There are divisions for Raw and Shirted and there are records for Raw and Shirted. So you can just pick where you want to lift. I have competed in both and love both it truly is two different types of training.

For those bashing on the sport it is two different sports with the same concept. Truly no different the then high jump and the pole vault. Same concept you try and get over the bar but the high jump is everything humanly possible and the High Jump has the pole which is an assistance tool. Both have the concept and both have their own type of technique. Same goes for Raw and Shirted benching. I wont sit here and debate it but you dont hear anyone calling a Pole Vaulter a cheater for using a pole now do you???

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
Im just going to buy a bench shirt and wear it around.

lightweight

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2013, 04:44:22 PM »
I saw a big fat guys drop over 1000 pounds on himself when his bench shirt failed at the Mr O night show a few years ago. Saw him later in the elevator and his chest and back was black and blue. I thought it was going to kill him.

This guy?

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »
How the hell do I upload an image?

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
This guy?

No Scott is a beast. This guy was fat and had blonde hair, it was during the night show of the Mens BB at the O a few years back. I have seen it on youtbe since then.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2013, 06:10:30 PM »
Probably Gene Rychlak, he lost #1015 at the Olympia in 2005 -