Author Topic: Myth-busting: The nutritional facts behind the hype  (Read 17409 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Myth-busting: The nutritional facts behind the hype
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »
November 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Nutritional misinformation, misperceptions, and myths are often passed along so repeatedly and for so long that they become accepted as solid facts. Here are eight misconceptions that I often hear from clients and friends, along with the real skinny behind the inaccuracies.

Myth No. 1: Sea salt has less sodium than regular table salt

Reality: The sodium content isn't much different, with about 480 mg per quarter-teaspoon of sea salt, compared to 580 mg per quarter-teaspoon of regular table salt. One benefit of sea salt is that it has larger granules than table salt, which means that it takes longer to dissolve on the tongue, so we can use less of it and still get the same impact.

Myth No. 2: Muscle turns to fat if you stop exercising.

Reality: Muscle turning into fat would be like a chicken breast turning into butter, or fish turning into oil. They're two completely separate entities, two totally different types of cells, and one can't evolve into the other. It's worth noting, however, that muscle burns lots of calories even at rest, so losing muscle does make it easier to put on body fat.

So what about those once-muscular people who are now soft and jiggly? They've clearly lost muscle mass, especially if they're not training like they used to. And if they didn't adjust their diet for their reduced level of activity, they have likely gained body fat. . But their muscle didn't turn into fat.

Myth No. 3: You should follow a low-fat diet if you have high cholesterol

Reality: Too often I hear people say that they've cut nearly all of the fat from their diet in order to reduce their bad LDL cholesterol levels, eliminating things like nuts, oils, and guacamole. Unfortunately, slashing fat intake too drastically can cause 'good' HDL levels to drop as well. And foods rich in monounsaturated fats like nuts, olive oil, and avocados help to lower total cholesterol and bad LDL cholesterol, without dropping good HDL cholesterol. So that dab of nut butter on an apple or those veggies dipped into a few spoonfuls of guacamole is just fine - and actually quite beneficial for your cholesterol levels.

Myth No. 4: Steer clear of pineapples because they're full of sugar.

Reality: Nearly all fruits are high in sugar, but they're also good sources of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. And ounce-for-ounce, pineapple actually has fewer carbs and calories than blueberries, raspberries, or apples. Bananas take the lead in calorie-dense fresh fruit, with at least 50 percent more carbs than many other varieties of fresh fruit. The low-sugar leader in fresh fruit is raspberries, which also happen to have the highest fiber content of traditional fresh fruit.

Myth No. 5: If it's organic (or vegan or gluten free), it's good for you

Reality: There's a 'health halo' that surrounds certain foods that makes organic cheese puffs, vegan cookies or gluten-free pastries somehow seem 'better' than their conventional counterparts. And while they may be 'better' in the sense that they don't have add-ins like artificial food colorings or white sugar, they're often still loaded with sugar (organic cane juice, honey, and agave are still considered 'added' sugar) and don't provide much nutritional value. Don't be swayed by a label. Take a closer look and see what you're really getting. And keep in mind that, with a few exceptions, most store-bought snacks and sweets are still just 'sometimes' foods, even If they're organic, vegan, or gluten free.

Myth No. 6: We should all eat more whole grains

Reality: We've all heard the message to switch to whole grains, which is a good thing, because they have more fiber, vitamins, and minerals than refined, processed grains. But not everyone needs more whole grains, particularly those who aren't very active or are insulin resistant.

Whole grains can be calorie-dense, meaning they pack a lot of calories into a little space. Quinoa and brown rice, for example, have 220 calories per cup. Cooked spinach, by comparison, has 80 percent fewer calories, with the same amount of fiber and more than twice as much iron.

So instead of across-the-board messaging to "incorporate whole grains," for those watching calories, it may be better to opt for non-starchy veggies like spinach, mushrooms, and roasted peppers in place of at least a portion of those whole grains.

Myth No. 7: It's gotta be fresh.

Reality: When it comes to fruits and vegetables, we may prefer the taste and texture of fresh versus frozen, but the reality is that the nutritional value of frozen is as good as fresh, and in some cases, it's better. Here's why: Produce is picked when ripe, then is flash frozen, which preserves nutrients. And some frozen fruits and veggies may be even more nutrient-dense than the fresh versions, since nutrient levels start to drop in the time it takes for the produce to go from harvest to store shelves. If you opt for frozen, just be sure you're getting fruits with no sugar added, and veggies without creamy or sugary sauces. And of course fresh fruits and veggies are fabulous, just don't think that they're your only option, nutritionally speaking.

Myth No. 8: All carbs are equal

Reality: Whether you're counting carbs because you're watching your weight or looking to keep blood sugars in check, it's important to know that not all carbs are the same.

Typically, carbs like those found in white or whole wheat flour, brown rice, or sugar have four calories per gram. But over the past decade or so, sugar alcohols and isolated fibers have changed the 'rules' as they pertain to carbs and calories.

Sugar alcohols like erythritol can be as low as 0.2 calories per gram, and isolated fibers like inulin have just 1.1 to 1.3 calories per gram, but each still provides a bulk and texture similar to their higher-calorie counterparts.

So keep checking total carbs when you're looking at labels, but take a closer look to see just where the carbs are coming from. The American Diabetes Association recommends the following guidelines to account for fiber and sugar alcohol when counting carbs:

If a food has 5 or more grams of dietary fiber per serving, subtract half the grams of fiber from the total grams of carbohydrate in a serving. If a food has 5 or more grams of sugar alcohols per serving, subtract half the grams of sugar alcohol from the total grams of carbohydrate in a serving.

So for example, if a food has 8 grams of sugar alcohol, 10 grams of fiber and 25 grams of total carbohydrate per serving, you would subtract 4 grams of sugar alcohol and 5 grams fiber from the total, yielding 16 grams of 'impact' carbohydrates. See www.diabetes.org for more details and examples.

Molly Kimball is a registered dietitian in New Orleans. She can be reached at eatingright@nola.com.

http://www.nola.com/healthy-eating/2013/11/myth-busting_the_nutritional_f.html

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Myth-busting: The nutritional facts behind the hype
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 03:48:21 PM »
#2 and 5 are my personal favorites.

Thanks for posting, loco!!

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 12:12:41 AM »
My favorite myth busted is "clean eating".

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 03:37:37 AM »
good post overall

i'd add

Myth: Veganism is a healthy choice

Truth: It's a form of anorexia nervosa... except in this case there are lots of fat and flabby vegans out there

Vegetarianism is still a healthy option IMO

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 05:54:34 AM »
#2 and 5 are my personal favorites.

Thanks for posting, loco!!

You are welcome, Montague!

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 10:05:44 AM »
good post overall

i'd add

Myth: Veganism is a healthy choice

Truth: It's a form of anorexia nervosa... except in this case there are lots of fat and flabby vegans out there

Vegetarianism is still a healthy option IMO

A true vegan will always tell you that veganism is an ethical choice!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 06:14:17 PM »

ethics
 ::) ::) ::)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 06:33:28 AM »

ethics
 ::) ::) ::)

There's nothing wrong with being ethical, dude.
It's like me when I hunt: I only shoot what I intend to eat.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 03:44:39 AM »

There's nothing wrong with being ethical, dude.
It's like me when I hunt: I only shoot what I intend to eat.

ethics are no more real than anything else... throughout history they have been used to support rape, murder, genocide...

we are a mentally weak species

the idea that we need to "define" a system of beliefs underlies that weakness

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 05:22:05 AM »

ethics are no more real than anything else... throughout history they have been used to support rape, murder, genocide...

we are a mentally weak species

the idea that we need to "define" a system of beliefs underlies that weakness

I was being facetious.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 05:31:41 AM »

I was being facetious.

facetious
fəˈsiːʃəs
adjective
treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humour; flippant.
"a facetious remark"
synonyms:   flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, waggish, whimsical, joking, jokey, jesting, jocular, playful, roguish, impish, teasing, arch, mischievous, puckish; More

that kind of comment speaks to your lack of ethics

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »

facetious
fəˈsiːʃəs
adjective
treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humour; flippant.
"a facetious remark"
synonyms:   flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, waggish, whimsical, joking, jokey, jesting, jocular, playful, roguish, impish, teasing, arch, mischievous, puckish; More

that kind of comment speaks to your lack of ethics

I'm jockular.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 03:16:34 AM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 06:40:32 AM »
no homo?

Every day of the week, and twice on Sunday!

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 03:36:07 PM »

What if you just think it's creepy to eat a cadaver?   ???
w

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 04:04:43 PM »
What if you just think it's creepy to eat a cadaver?   ???

Are you comparing eating animals and/or animal products to cannibalism?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »

Are you comparing eating animals and/or animal products to cannibalism?

Nope, not cannibalism, ...but a dead body is a dead body whether it is human or cow.

Here's a sweet little Portuguese child who appears to be a natural vegan. Out of the mouths of babes.

w

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »
Nope, not cannibalism, ...but a dead body is a dead body whether it is human or cow.

Dead is dead, but "cadaver" typically refers to human bodies.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »

Dead is dead, but "cadaver" typically refers to human bodies.

Unless you're referring to an animal cadaver.  :)
w

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 05:50:44 PM »
Unless you're referring to an animal cadaver.  :)

About as often as bodies in a morgue are referred to as "taxidermy."

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »
someone does not speak engrish around here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadaver

and i would eat people... no problem... end of the world comes and you had better all hide

latiuss

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 01:18:59 PM »
Quinoa isnt dense,it has half the amount of carbs per 100g than white rice.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 08:52:17 PM »
i only go organic on vegetables, and thin skinned fruit...nothing to do with health really..just paranoia..

i only buy grass fed beef..but i usually buy half of a cow from a local farmer when i buy it so thats more of an accident anyways..

bench

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 12:25:45 AM »
Myth No. 5: If it's organic (or vegan or gluten free), it's good for you
Myth No. 6: We should all eat more whole grains

These two I hear a lot. Especially when I tell someone I have to eat wheat free.
Some accuse me of following the gluten free trend, and I'm only being difficult because I want to be trendy. No, I'm allergic to wheat and it really makes me sick. Thank you wannabe coeliacs!
Some are afraid that by avoiding whole grain wheat I would make myself even more unhealthy. And then they want me to eat sugar loaded 'whole grain' alternative grain cookies...

Quinoa isnt dense,it has half the amount of carbs per 100g than white rice.

The density refers to the amount of calories, not only carbs...

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 01:05:55 AM »
These two I hear a lot. Especially when I tell someone I have to eat wheat free.
Some accuse me of following the gluten free trend, and I'm only being difficult because I want to be trendy. No, I'm allergic to wheat and it really makes me sick. Thank you wannabe coeliacs!
Some are afraid that by avoiding whole grain wheat I would make myself even more unhealthy. And then they want me to eat sugar loaded 'whole grain' alternative grain cookies...

The density refers to the amount of calories, not only carbs...

Good post