Author Topic: Greg Kovacs dies at 44  (Read 112547 times)

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Re: Greg Kovacs dies at 44
« Reply #225 on: November 28, 2013, 07:48:04 PM »
thnaks for this reply man.

another question, how can it be checked whether the ventricle has grown?will x ray be good enough?

if heart size is normal and bloodpressure too, will this mean everythings ok?

Cardiogram is required i believe, best test you can do is the CT test that will test for calcium deposits in the heart muscle, people can never have an issue with cholesterol or blood pressure but still have deposits at a younger age than non users. Im sure Danny or Lord will be able to elaborate more,

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2013, 07:56:19 PM »
danny, whats worse, long term moderate usage or short term abuse?

going tomorow to have stuff checked by doctor.

one more thing, from feeling pectoral angina till lights out, how much time is left?

Good question, but I would think long term moderate abuse by a landslide.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »
Cardiogram is required i believe, best test you can do is the CT test that will test for calcium deposits in the heart muscle, people can never have an issue with cholesterol or blood pressure but still have deposits at a younger age than non users. Im sure Danny or Lord will be able to elaborate more,
is cardiogramme "ekg" i dont know the english term, is it that where they put ,you know, kinda some cables to your feet and hands?

yah cholesterol on good diet and BP have never been out of whack.

but there sure is some concerning stuff to read here.fuck.

of course,im 100% natural and asking merely for educational purposes, yall filthy juicers surely have similiar questions :D

Good question, but I would think long term moderate abuse by a landslide.
you know, if one even slightly think about what non estrogen convertibles or anti estrogens can and will do to cholesterol, and how "good" cheat meals are on gear, uuuuhh.and this is just superficial, blatant obvious things, the docs know much more details.

i can see why some docs would look at steroid users in similiar way to lunatic with death wish.

me, from feeling, the sides like water retention and bloodpresure, those alone are clear signs that really anything above 250weekly is already asking for it.

not even to mention gh and slin on top of that, and the metabolism increasing fatburners which sometimes make the heart beat like a machinegun.
and last but not least ,diuretics, theyre not very good for the heart.ppl always say kidneys, but seldom you see the heart mentioned.

this left ventricle growth sounds very very very bad.
n

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2013, 09:21:46 PM »
I hope this left ventricle stuff doesn't happen to naturals who did 2 cycles of epistane years ago.  :-\

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2013, 12:15:16 AM »
ECG is correct Gal, but im no doctor

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #230 on: November 29, 2013, 12:31:24 AM »
Every muscular person will have some LVH. It's a byproduct of the demand placed upon the heart. Gear is just gonna exacerbate it to a much worse degree.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #231 on: November 29, 2013, 02:46:07 AM »
Then u got bbers like fak mubarak who turned pro 8 yrs ago but doesn't even compete but brags he's 250's and even up to 280's at 5'5  ::) oh brother

We will def have another in the future  ::)

Wonder how many will there be the next 10 yrs??

At least Cormier said he was smart enough to stay small and look like he never lifted in his life  ;D

Shawn too

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #232 on: November 29, 2013, 02:52:12 AM »
Once one of us performs his actual biopsy, that's when we will know how prominent the myocardial fibrosis was. Unfortunately, since none of us will get to see what his heart looks like, it's a mute point.

As for now, since no one on this forum will have access to his medical records, all we can do is speculate.

The easiest thing to do is to directly attribute and/or assume that his heart failure was caused due to his steroid use, but without his medical records, past blood work (to see whether he suffered from hyperlipidemia, hypertension, hypo/hyper-thyroidism, diabetes, kidney failure and to even possibly gauge what his BNP was), chest x-ray films, an echocardiogram, ekg, prior stress test results and even a prior CT or MRI scan of his heart, we only have speculation at best. If we had many of these elements, we can then get a better idea of what the full cardiac story was, but going only by pictures off the internet and rumors, we can't possibly assume anything.

To be clear, I'm not saying that steroids could have not played a role, but to directly attribute steroid use to his death is speculation at best.

Lets allow for the man to rest in peace.

"1"

I read a tinge of what has been said a bit more specifically in what you said and I'm sorry if I'm getting you wrong, but I'm addressing anybody who thinks this:

Quite a few people here do not seem to respect the fact that there are two things that happen when a human dies.  They are both absolutely programmed into us.

One is the personal element - your connection with that person, memories etc

The other is: how can I avoid this from happening to me?  The survival element.   Fuck, he died from a tiger attack!  I'm not getting into a tiger pen. 

I really don't understand these attempts by some people to suppress others from trying to learn about a subject that let's face it, many put their head in the sand about.  Clearly we have physicians in this thread providing information.  It is not dishonoring the individual to discuss or speculate on an issue when the likelyhood is that someone that heavy died from being that heavy.  It's not disrespectful, it's downright constructive to the alive portion of the human race - whom I'm sure Greg probably cared for.

To me, what is disrespectful is people trying to say to others, you shouldn't be allowed to speculate on why this person died, you shouldn't be looking at your own situation, wondering if there are any parallels.  Honestly, I think making out that we're supposed to tiptoe around the cause of death for the first two weeks is faux political correctness

This isn't Greg's funeral.  Very people, here know Greg and this is not the equivalent of mindlessly pushing grieving family members for information in their time of sadness.  It's a message board that Greg didn't give a toss about because he had a real life.  There are a lot of people who lift weights on this board and I'm betting a lot of people with history of heart problems in their family.  Me, personally - I'm reading what is said and learning a bit. 

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #233 on: November 29, 2013, 04:14:52 AM »
danny and the other doc heres my bloodwork results.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=507831.0

im not sooo pleased.

have a look and comment,would be apreciated much
n

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #234 on: November 29, 2013, 04:29:16 AM »
I really don't understand these attempts by some people to suppress others from trying to learn about a subject that let's face it, many put their head in the sand about.  

Clearly we have physicians in this thread providing information.  

Me, personally - I'm reading what is said and learning a bit.  

A few things...

If by way of a side effect caused by sheer speculation you happen to learn something about cardiac physiology, that is absolutely fine. That is one of the great things about this forum, in that there is a wealth of information that many members have regarding matters surrounding close to just about anything that is openly shared amongst its members. While sharing information is great, it is very important to make sure that said information is factual and backed by studies and actual clinical data that supports what is being said. If you "learn" something here that is not necessarily true and then share it with others who might be pretty knowledgeable about the matter (say an actual cardiologist etc), it will sound a bit odd to them.

Clearly, there is no suggestion that anyone in this thread is an actual physician. Being a med student does not make one a physician. Heck, being a PGY1-3 (IM resident), also barely makes one a qualified physician since they are still learning and can't practice outside of a hospital.

I think many of the things Danny-boy has said are pretty sound, but there was one thing (the reversibility of cardiac hypertrophy in particular), that I do not believe is correct.

For instance, this statement suggests that:

Induced growth of cardiomyocyctes is irreversible my friend.....as seen in cases of hypertrophy, where the ventricle is forced to increase contractility in order to provide more oxygenated blood due to higher demand....    Follow physics...power = length x tension ...   Something is going to have to give ...it was just a matter of time.. The human body can only compensate to a certain futile degree.....  All the abusive factors contributed to his accelerated demise...  And yes..numerous past bodybuilders of the 70s did indeed undergo bypass surgery of some form- although not the hypertrophic acceleration seen in generation GH coupled w other anabolic enhancements...

The statement in bold above is not correct. It is stated as an absolute and it is not necessarily true.

Cardiomyocyte (heart muscle) growth is reversible if caught early on enough. If Danny, or anyone else for that matter, can disprove that ventricular hypertrophy (as seen in patients with HTN-Hypertension) is irreversible, regardless of stage, I'd gladly ask them to post the peer reviewed studies to suggest otherwise.

For instance, here in UpToDate, which tends to be one of the top 5 clinician go-to guides, it states clearly that ventricular hypertrophy (induced growth of cariomyocytes) by way of hypertension can be reversed:

(Notice how under the effects of antihypertensive therapy, it mentions how treatment for HTN will decrease mass in patients with left ventricular hypertrophy and a regression of hypertrophy can be seen. If induced cardiomyocyte growth was truly irreversible, there would be no way for this statement to be true and backed by not just hundreds of studies, but by the American Heart Association)

Not to mention, that it is VERY normal for adamant weightlifters to have mild-moderate left ventricular hypertrophy due to the excessive amount of weights that they lift. Once the stimuli is removed (be it hypertension or prolonged power-lifting, the hypertrophy will typically reverse).

Prolonged hypertrophy that goes untreated can result in heart failure, because like that of a rubber band, the heart muscle can only stretch but so much in order to compensate for the increased workload/demand in putting out oxygenated blood to the systemic circulation.

For more peer-reviewed readings that state clearly that ventricular hypertrophy is reversible, feel free to take a read at:

Ruilope LM, Schmieder RE. Left ventricular hypertrophy and clinical outcomes in hypertensive patients. Am J Hypertens 2008; 21:500.
(http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-implications-and-treatment-of-left-ventricular-hypertrophy-in-hypertension/abstract/20)

Franz IW, Tönnesmann U, Müller JF. Time course of complete normalization of left ventricular hypertrophy during long-term antihypertensive therapy with angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors. Am J Hypertens 1998; 11:631.
(http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-implications-and-treatment-of-left-ventricular-hypertrophy-in-hypertension/abstract/21)

Cuspidi C, Negri F, Zanchetti A. Angiotensin II receptor blockers and cardiovascular protection: focus on left ventricular hypertrophy regression and atrial fibrillation prevention. Vasc Health Risk Manag 2008; 4:67.
(http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-implications-and-treatment-of-left-ventricular-hypertrophy-in-hypertension/abstract/22)

Okin PM, Devereux RB, Gerdts E, et al. Impact of diabetes mellitus on regression of electrocardiographic left ventricular hypertrophy and the prediction of outcome during antihypertensive therapy: the Losartan Intervention For Endpoint (LIFE) Reduction in Hypertension Study. Circulation 2006; 113:1588. (http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-implications-and-treatment-of-left-ventricular-hypertrophy-in-hypertension/abstract/23)

Os I, Franco V, Kjeldsen SE, et al. Effects of losartan in women with hypertension and left ventricular hypertrophy: results from the Losartan Intervention for Endpoint Reduction in Hypertension Study. Hypertension 2008; 51:1103.
(http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-implications-and-treatment-of-left-ventricular-hypertrophy-in-hypertension/abstract/24)

Solomon SD, Appelbaum E, Manning WJ, et al. Effect of the direct Renin inhibitor aliskiren, the Angiotensin receptor blocker losartan, or both on left ventricular mass in patients with hypertension and left ventricular hypertrophy. Circulation 2009; 119:530.
(http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-implications-and-treatment-of-left-ventricular-hypertrophy-in-hypertension/abstract/25)

That's the only issue I had with Danny's post. The vast majority of what he posted is sound and makes excellent sense, but I disagree in that induced cardiomyocyte growth (as particular seen in ventricular hypertrophy) is irreversible as an absolute statement. If not treated early on, then yes, heart failure can ensue due to excessive cardiac remodeling that after enough time seizes to compensate for the demands of the heart.

Haha, classic denialist mentality stuff....

Steroids lead to permanent myocardial fibrosis and micro scarring leading to reduced efficiency, disturbed electrical conductivity and the leading cause of heart failure over any of the other issues that have have been highlighted above.

If you can post some peer-reviewed studies to substantiate your statements that steroid use will directly lead to the development of myocardial fibrosis and that steroid use is the leading cause of heart failure over other issues like Hypertension, I will gladly read them and evaluate, but for now those are just random, unsubstantiated statements.

Not everything that is spewed should be taken as gospel.

"1"

P.S. I knew Kovacs. I met him through Desmond Miller and Victor Martinez. The guy wasn't the friendliest guy and towards the end (last 5 years of his life) he became pretty bitter towards the "sport".

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: November 29, 2013, 04:39:11 AM »
P.S.S. If anyone wants more proof (as in peer-reviewed studies, links to UpToDate or scans of Harrison's Internal Medicine or textbooks provided to cardiac fellows in training) to substantiate that cardiac hypertrophy can be reversed if treated accordingly, please let me know.

I can post some more.

Here is another screen cap, just to make clear that my statements are not being pulled from gut feelings or assumptions:

Read closely at what I have highlighted (They clearly speak of a regression of ventricular hypertrophy and decreased cardiac mass - Regression meaning Reversal, hence why I say that induced cardiomyocyte growth is indeed reversible):

"1"

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #236 on: November 29, 2013, 05:06:38 AM »
I agree with your theory, changing my lifestyle and training from my younger days resulted in reversing the wall thickness on a comparison of ECG what does concern me is the elasticity fibrosis claims, CT scans of steroid users does show a higher rate of calcium deposits in heart tissue than none users pretty sure there is study either of university in California or Glamorgan in the uk where the claim was made, I can't back this up with your type of reference and only put the point forward for further debate. Happy for someone to discredit.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: November 29, 2013, 05:32:00 AM »
More important than cardiac hipertrophy regression is lifestyle regression.
Does anyone think that a former pro just stops taking medication forever when they used it and abused it for years in a row, and go vegan?

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2013, 05:42:35 AM »
well, omr, thats fine but it states one has to stop lifting.

and the other problem is, some of them,like kovacs,have stopped lifting(from what it looked like),yet still drop dead.

seems that the reversing effect isnt so big.

???

More important than cardiac hipertrophy regression is lifestyle regression.
Does anyone think that a former pro just stops taking medication forever when they used it and abused it for years in a row, and go vegan?

yates no

wheeler no

levrone no

fux is off id say

dillet not so sure

many will def need hrt
n

Danny-Boy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #239 on: November 29, 2013, 07:07:58 AM »
My point being--  The MAJORITY of cases w induced growth are caught far beyond reversibility that would really make a significant difference  ...especially w those living this enhanced lifestyle for years....  Yes, the overall mass of the heart (ventricle in particular) may be reversed to a certain degree from its peak size if discontinuance of lifestyle occurs BUT it's efficiency will forever be changed..I'm speaking in regards to efficient conductivity and contractility..like an over stretched muscle over time-it's productivity will not be as effective.  Think of a rubber band that u keep stretching...... The small reversibility of size that u indicate should not encourage those still abusing that their hearts will go back to normal...that is the take home message...   This will be an ongoing problem for the great majority of these type of enhanced individuals....due to more than likely suffering from other systemic problems... Many children and adults who aren't enhanced athletes would have a better prognosis (who have enlarged hearts) I believe.. My opinion

Regression in the size of the cell does not mean their heart is reversed back into a healthy one.. U don't need a cardiologist to tell you this....  And this is the Majority of cases.... So if there is little growth fellas...and u catch it early.... Change your lifestyle immediately and believe the overall effect is real and detrimental over time...  It's all about what u can do now to fix your life....  OMR I understand your specific point... But it mistakenly implies to the steroid abuser that whenever he wants to stop. - that his heart will revert back to normal..  The minute reversibility is more than likely mute at this point...       IE.  The ave male heart is around 10-12 ounces...  Let's say it grows to 19-20 ounces for the enhanced individual..(completely hypothetical)...  After cessation of lifestyle and drug therapy..heart reverts to 16-18 ounces (his heart originally at 10 ounces)... Technically, you're  right..but is this really reversed?  

Danny-Boy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #240 on: November 29, 2013, 07:20:20 AM »
I should/will take my statement back from its bold indication and rephrase it to "induced growth over time by the enhanced lifter can be reversible to a small degree/extent, but it's effects are more than likely irreversibly damaging..especially to those who were abusing more long-term".   I'd worry about more than just my heart at this point... 

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #241 on: November 29, 2013, 07:39:34 AM »

I am sure the majority of these bodybuilders were given their fair share of warning signs by their own doctors..yet took that risk.... This lifestyle is an obsessive subculture, where many believe that they are the anomaly and won't succumb to human physiology...  The more realistic bodybuilders ended their careers when they were warned.... I do not doubt that is why you do not see a comeback a la Shawn ray..even though I know he still has the drive to win it all... But am damn sure he now has a precondition like many who were a part of his era..where continuing competitive bodybuilding will have to shorten his lifespan....  Acceptance is a tough pill to swallow....    Nature stopped giving free lunches as soon as they were told..enough is enough...

Yup,better get used to it sure there will be plenty more to come!

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #242 on: November 29, 2013, 07:58:15 AM »
OMR I understand your specific point... But it mistakenly implies to the steroid abuser that whenever he wants to stop. - that his heart will revert back to normal..  The minute reversibility is more than likely mute at this point...       IE.  The ave male heart is around 10-12 ounces...  Let's say it grows to 19-20 ounces for the enhanced individual..(completely hypothetical)...  After cessation of lifestyle and drug therapy..heart reverts to 16-18 ounces (his heart originally at 10 ounces)... Technically, you're  right..but is this really reversed?

As to the bolded statement above, not at all. I, in no way, implied that the steroid abuser's heart will definitely revert back to normal once he stops his long time abuse. On the contrary, I stated this:

That's the only issue I had with Danny's post. The vast majority of what he posted is sound and makes excellent sense, but I disagree in that induced cardiomyocyte growth (as particular seen in ventricular hypertrophy) is irreversible as an absolute statement. If not treated early on, then yes, heart failure can ensue due to excessive cardiac remodeling that after enough time seizes to compensate for the demands of the heart.

In other words, induced cardiomyocyte growth is REVERSIBLE if caught early on, but if left untreated, it will undoubtedly result in heart failure.

Further, you wrote:

My point being--  The MAJORITY of cases w induced growth are caught far beyond reversibility that would really make a significant difference  ...especially w those living this enhanced lifestyle for years....  Yes, the overall mass of the heart (ventricle in particular) may be reversed to a certain degree from its peak size if discontinuance of lifestyle occurs BUT it's efficiency will forever be changed..I'm speaking in regards to efficient conductivity and contractility..like an over stretched muscle over time-it's productivity will not be as effective.  Think of a rubber band that u keep stretching...... The small reversibility of size that u indicate should not encourage those still abusing that their hearts will go back to normal...that is the take home message...   This will be an ongoing problem for the great majority of these type of enhanced individuals....due to more than likely suffering from other systemic problems... Many children and adults who aren't enhanced athletes would have a better prognosis (who have enlarged hearts) I believe.. My opinion

I think we stated the exact same point as exemplified by our identical rubber band metaphor:

Prolonged hypertrophy that goes untreated can result in heart failure, because like that of a rubber band, the heart muscle can only stretch but so much in order to compensate for the increased workload/demand in putting out oxygenated blood to the systemic circulation.

Ultimately, if you catch the hypertrophy early enough (and I mean early enough as in within 1-2 years tops) you could very well reverse it and like that of a stretched rubber band, the muscle will revert/regress to a fully functional state in systolic/diastolic function and ventricular chamber & myocardial size.

"1"

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #243 on: November 29, 2013, 07:59:47 AM »
thank God i never juiced or was ever intrested in it... seems a very high uncalculated risk to me. No one knows for sure what will happen to you in later years. I think if you are going to do it you Need a Sport Doctor or who ever Controlling it.,, but then again i know Zero on steroids because i never wanted to look into it..

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #244 on: November 29, 2013, 08:06:24 AM »
Same forearm as Cutler and Branch.

Sorry guys, but all you have to do is look at his face. Especially around his eyes. Clearly, he was not healthy.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: November 29, 2013, 08:08:31 AM »
I agree with your theory, changing my lifestyle and training from my younger days resulted in reversing the wall thickness on a comparison of ECG what does concern me is the elasticity fibrosis claims, CT scans of steroid users does show a higher rate of calcium deposits in heart tissue than none users pretty sure there is study either of university in California or Glamorgan in the uk where the claim was made, I can't back this up with your type of reference and only put the point forward for further debate. Happy for someone to discredit.

To be frank, the initial claims made by member "Lord Chronos" are not claims that I have thoroughly researched and so I have no idea if his stance is correct or not. Maybe Danny-boy can chime in if he has read up on literature that can substantiate Lord Chronos' statement.

I'm assuming this is what your concern revolves around:

Haha, classic denialist mentality stuff....

Steroids lead to permanent myocardial fibrosis and micro scarring leading to reduced efficiency, disturbed electrical conductivity and the leading cause of heart failure over any of the other issues that have have been highlighted above.

I can only speak from what I have seen and read regarding cardiac (particular ventricular - since atrial revolves around faulty valves causing back-flow leading to chamber enlargement and further pulmonary edema) hypertrophy cases.

I would have to read up on actual studies that might have looked at the effects of prolonged steroid use on the hearts of those undergoing Cardio-Thoracic surgery (what they saw once they opened the sternum) or even post-mortem studies.

"1"

Danny-Boy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #246 on: November 29, 2013, 08:12:50 AM »
To be frank, the initial claims made by member "Lord Chronos" are not claims that I have thoroughly researched and so I have no idea if his stance is correct or not. Maybe Danny-boy can chime in if he has read up on literature that can substantiate Lord Chronos' statement.

I'm assuming this is what your concern revolves around:

I can only speak from what I have seen and read regarding cardiac (particular ventricular - since atrial revolves around faulty valves causing back-flow leading to chamber enlargement and further pulmonary edema) hypertrophy cases.

I would have to read up on actual studies that might have looked at the effects of prolonged steroid use on the hearts of those undergoing Cardio-Thoracic surgery (what they saw once they opened the sternum) or even post-mortem studies.

"1"

Fibrosis is the body's innate way of repairing these damaged cardiomyocytes... which would eventually cause the stiffening of the ventricle...  Constant excessive lengthening/stretching and reverting to original position - will cause damage == thus leading our own body's defense mechanism to take over...  =Fibrosis...  as also seen in lung conditions

Danny-Boy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #247 on: November 29, 2013, 08:15:39 AM »
OMR -  i do believe that you were never trying to convince the steroid user that he would be able to revert back to normal...unfortunately, i get the sense from this board that many of the steroid/gh,etc.  users here may read into the context of your statement/point incorrectly.. and assume the extreme - which is full recovery

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: November 29, 2013, 08:35:12 AM »
And then we have the kind of "moderate" bodybuilders who kept diet and juicing under control and achieved stardom without falling into disgrace
Francis has 53 yo in this pic.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #249 on: November 29, 2013, 08:43:03 AM »
Sorry guys, but all you have to do is look at his face. Especially around his eyes. Clearly, he was not healthy.

I thought that too..
O