Author Topic: Greg Kovacs dies at 44  (Read 112521 times)

falco

• Getbig V
Re: Greg Kovacs dies at 44
« Reply #250 on: November 29, 2013, 08:46:02 AM »

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #251 on: November 29, 2013, 08:57:45 AM »

Fibrosis is the body's innate way of repairing these damaged cardiomyocytes... which would eventually cause the stiffening of the ventricle...  Constant excessive lengthening/stretching and reverting to original position - will cause damage == thus leading our own body's defense mechanism to take over...  =Fibrosis...  as also seen in lung conditions

I know the exact mechanism by which fibrosis develops following damaged muscle cells. The physiological progression isn't what I am uncertain of.

The question posed by "honest" was:

I agree with your theory, changing my lifestyle and training from my younger days resulted in reversing the wall thickness on a comparison of ECG what does concern me is the elasticity fibrosis claims, CT scans of steroid users does show a higher rate of calcium deposits in heart tissue than none users pretty sure there is study either of university in California or Glamorgan in the uk where the claim was made, I can't back this up with your type of reference and only put the point forward for further debate. Happy for someone to discredit.

Whereby, the bolded statement targets the notion of fibrosis as it relates to elasticity in the heart of an individual like that of member "honest" where he changed his lifestyle and training habits from younger days which resulted in reversal of his ventricular wall thickness, but is still wondering as to whether or not steroid use will lead to cardiac muscle fibrosis, in light of positive lifestyle changes being undertaken.

I believe he was looking further into this statement by "lord chronos":

Haha, classic denialist mentality stuff....

Steroids lead to permanent myocardial fibrosis and micro scarring leading to reduced efficiency, disturbed electrical conductivity and the leading cause of heart failure over any of the other issues that have have been highlighted above.

Whereas, my punting over of the question involves not the need for an explanation behind the exact mechanism in which muscle fibrosis occurs after prolonged damage, but, moreover, whether or not any peer-reviewed studies or actual clinical cases that can be pegged, show that lord chronos' statements are in fact justifiable.

Again, the pathology behind fibrosis is very much so understood. My punting over to you was meant in order to see if you have read of any actual studies that can be provided to member "honest" and/or seen clinical cases (during CT surgery whereby heart tissue damage can be directly visualized and/or by witnessed autopsies) that suggest that steroid use led to blatant myocardial fibrosis.

Since I haven't read too many studies surrounding the idea of "Steroids leading to permanent myocardial fibrosis and micro scarring", I was wondering if you had any direct input on the matter based on factual material.

"1"

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #252 on: November 29, 2013, 08:59:13 AM »
OMR -  i do believe that you were never trying to convince the steroid user that he would be able to revert back to normal...unfortunately, i get the sense from this board that many of the steroid/gh,etc.  users here may read into the context of your statement/point incorrectly.. and assume the extreme - which is full recovery

I concur with this statement.  Unfortunately, mentioning the potential inherent risks alone is typically not enough to persuade folks to stay away from the stuff.

"1"

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #253 on: November 29, 2013, 09:08:37 AM »
And then we have the kind of "moderate" bodybuilders who kept diet and juicing under control and achieved stardom without falling into disgrace
Francis has 53 yo in this pic.

Needs a head reduction but still a good physique.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #254 on: November 29, 2013, 09:14:01 AM »
And then we have the kind of "moderate" bodybuilders who kept diet and juicing under control and achieved stardom without falling into disgrace

Nothing moderate about this. He was like 30lbs heavier than his pre-retirement Olympia competition weight. Major GH and insulin use along with high doses of steroids.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #255 on: November 29, 2013, 09:17:37 AM »
the last guy is not kovacs

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #256 on: November 29, 2013, 09:20:03 AM »
Nothing moderate about this. He was like 30lbs heavier than his pre-retirement Olympia competition weight. Major GH and insulin use along with high doses of steroids.
YES,,the physique /nice lines/shape he was known for is not quite the same with added size,he's actually a more sized bber than a classic streamlined look he came up with originally,moderate dose yeah right as u said and pointed out,he doing more now , probably..

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #257 on: November 29, 2013, 09:45:52 AM »

Cat looks good, real good. He is on EVERYTHING and has been for decades. His frame is not designed for mass monster status and he is smart enough to know.

"Moderate" in bodybuilding = keeping off season weight under 300.
a

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #258 on: November 29, 2013, 09:53:36 AM »
Moderate certainly is a relative term regarding Bodybuilding! Really means juiced to the gills!

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #259 on: November 29, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »
,moderate dose yeah right as u said and pointed out,he doing more now , probably..

Probably?  :D

This pic is all that's needed. Consider the age too. You aren't building anything new at 50+
after already a lifetime on drugs without going nuts on the gear. 30 fucking pounds of lean tissue!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #260 on: November 29, 2013, 10:16:36 AM »
Probably?  :D

This pic is all that's needed. Consider the age too.
STILL wicked build considering 53,but he lost the lines like I said and waist was sacrificed,age/drug 's and continuing using is what caused it,looks like a small eater ,but size comes from something and drug's head the top of list.leg's and delts are at there biggest at 53 ok...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #261 on: November 29, 2013, 10:30:47 AM »
STILL wicked build considering 53,but he lost the lines like I said and waist was sacrificed,age/drug 's and continuing using is what caused it,looks like a small eater ,but size comes from something and drug's head the top of list.leg's and delts are at there biggest at 53 ok...
agree Steve. you see it clearly in the waist. Suppose it´s hard for These guys to let go...still look at Bob Paris. lookes healthy to me in Pictures after his Bodybuilding career.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #262 on: November 29, 2013, 10:34:09 AM »
always liked Bob Paris...
http://www.bobparis.com/

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #263 on: November 29, 2013, 12:02:36 PM »

This pic is all that's needed. Consider the age too. You aren't building anything new at 50+
after already a lifetime on drugs without going nuts on the gear. 30 fucking pounds of lean tissue!
my favorite bodybuilder  8)

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #264 on: November 29, 2013, 12:28:54 PM »
lol@francis moderate doses.

really a vague term.

n

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #265 on: November 29, 2013, 03:53:12 PM »

Might die at 55 who knows....

I remember when art died, it was from heart failure and he wasn't even 40, think mid to late 30's :-\ had a heart attack and fell into the pool....that was the story I got

Nice guy too, met him through a friend of mine and was always willing to help , but never looked healthy one bit, always heavy breathing, out of breath, purple skin , lots of signs

Notsonicemom

• Getbig II
« Reply #266 on: November 29, 2013, 04:04:01 PM »
Sad news is strongman Mike Jenkins died yesterday, he was only 31 or 32 I think

massa

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #267 on: November 29, 2013, 04:53:53 PM »
Few people I have seen over the years, who live the "lifestyle" have similar diagnosis. Heart failure.  Persistent elevated demand on the heart due to high blood pressure, supranormal bodyweight, heavy training, makes heart muscle thick and non-compliant, causing a type of heart failure, where heart cannot relax enough to accomodate required amount of blood for each pump.  As the result the end organs such as kidney, and lungs suffer.  Elevated blood pressure puts an extra stress on heart valves, often slowly destroying them in the process.  Which in turn puts more demand on the heart. 
I think steroids add to this picture by independently causing elevated blood pressure and raising cholesterol levels, which predisposes to blockage of heart arteries and causing damage to heart muscle by not giving it enough of its own blood supply.
I can only guess what happened to Greg, but it is more and more clear that as, few people here said, when you are overweight, your organs suffer whether it is muscle or fat.   Extreme bodybuilding is not good for your health in any way shape or form.
Greg and Nasser were my heroes growing up.  I have met them both and it is sad to see what happened to these guys. 

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #268 on: November 29, 2013, 05:37:51 PM »
Greg and Nasser were my heroes growing up.  I have met them both and it is sad to see what happened to these guys. 

Choose your heroes wisely.

massa

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #269 on: November 29, 2013, 07:05:17 PM »
I was a teen in mid 90's. That being said, you are right!

Sailor Jerry

• Getbig I
« Reply #270 on: November 29, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »
P.I.P.   Big Greg  :'(

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #271 on: November 30, 2013, 01:29:51 AM »
Once one of us performs his actual biopsy, that's when we will know how prominent the myocardial fibrosis was. Unfortunately, since none of us will get to see what his heart looks like, it's a mute point.

As for now, since no one on this forum will have access to his medical records, all we can do is speculate.

The easiest thing to do is to directly attribute and/or assume that his heart failure was caused due to his steroid use, but without his medical records, past blood work (to see whether he suffered from hyperlipidemia, hypertension, hypo/hyper-thyroidism, diabetes, kidney failure and to even possibly gauge what his BNP was), chest x-ray films, an echocardiogram, ekg, prior stress test results and even a prior CT or MRI scan of his heart, we only have speculation at best. If we had many of these elements, we can then get a better idea of what the full cardiac story was, but going only by pictures off the internet and rumors, we can't possibly assume anything.

To be clear, I'm not saying that steroids could have not played a role, but to directly attribute steroid use to his death is speculation at best.

Lets allow for the man to rest in peace.

"1"

Agreed.

I just find the head in the sand mentality of some AAS users insane. However I think its worthwhile to discuss the points Danny, yourself and few others have raised.

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #272 on: November 30, 2013, 01:43:13 AM »
A few things...

If by way of a side effect caused by sheer speculation you happen to learn something about cardiac physiology, that is absolutely fine. That is one of the great things about this forum, in that there is a wealth of information that many members have regarding matters surrounding close to just about anything that is openly shared amongst its members. While sharing information is great, it is very important to make sure that said information is factual and backed by studies and actual clinical data that supports what is being said. If you "learn" something here that is not necessarily true and then share it with others who might be pretty knowledgeable about the matter (say an actual cardiologist etc), it will sound a bit odd to them.

Clearly, there is no suggestion that anyone in this thread is an actual physician. Being a med student does not make one a physician. Heck, being a PGY1-3 (IM resident), also barely makes one a qualified physician since they are still learning and can't practice outside of a hospital.

I think many of the things Danny-boy has said are pretty sound, but there was one thing (the reversibility of cardiac hypertrophy in particular), that I do not believe is correct.

For instance, this statement suggests that:

The statement in bold above is not correct. It is stated as an absolute and it is not necessarily true.

Cardiomyocyte (heart muscle) growth is reversible if caught early on enough. If Danny, or anyone else for that matter, can disprove that ventricular hypertrophy (as seen in patients with HTN-Hypertension) is irreversible, regardless of stage, I'd gladly ask them to post the peer reviewed studies to suggest otherwise.

For instance, here in UpToDate, which tends to be one of the top 5 clinician go-to guides, it states clearly that ventricular hypertrophy (induced growth of cariomyocytes) by way of hypertension can be reversed:

(Notice how under the effects of antihypertensive therapy, it mentions how treatment for HTN will decrease mass in patients with left ventricular hypertrophy and a regression of hypertrophy can be seen. If induced cardiomyocyte growth was truly irreversible, there would be no way for this statement to be true and backed by not just hundreds of studies, but by the American Heart Association)

Not to mention, that it is VERY normal for adamant weightlifters to have mild-moderate left ventricular hypertrophy due to the excessive amount of weights that they lift. Once the stimuli is removed (be it hypertension or prolonged power-lifting, the hypertrophy will typically reverse).

Prolonged hypertrophy that goes untreated can result in heart failure, because like that of a rubber band, the heart muscle can only stretch but so much in order to compensate for the increased workload/demand in putting out oxygenated blood to the systemic circulation.

For more peer-reviewed readings that state clearly that ventricular hypertrophy is reversible, feel free to take a read at:

Ruilope LM, Schmieder RE. Left ventricular hypertrophy and clinical outcomes in hypertensive patients. Am J Hypertens 2008; 21:500.
(http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-implications-and-treatment-of-left-ventricular-hypertrophy-in-hypertension/abstract/20)

Franz IW, Tönnesmann U, Müller JF. Time course of complete normalization of left ventricular hypertrophy during long-term antihypertensive therapy with angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors. Am J Hypertens 1998; 11:631.
(http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-implications-and-treatment-of-left-ventricular-hypertrophy-in-hypertension/abstract/21)

Cuspidi C, Negri F, Zanchetti A. Angiotensin II receptor blockers and cardiovascular protection: focus on left ventricular hypertrophy regression and atrial fibrillation prevention. Vasc Health Risk Manag 2008; 4:67.
(http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-implications-and-treatment-of-left-ventricular-hypertrophy-in-hypertension/abstract/22)

Okin PM, Devereux RB, Gerdts E, et al. Impact of diabetes mellitus on regression of electrocardiographic left ventricular hypertrophy and the prediction of outcome during antihypertensive therapy: the Losartan Intervention For Endpoint (LIFE) Reduction in Hypertension Study. Circulation 2006; 113:1588. (http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-implications-and-treatment-of-left-ventricular-hypertrophy-in-hypertension/abstract/23)

Os I, Franco V, Kjeldsen SE, et al. Effects of losartan in women with hypertension and left ventricular hypertrophy: results from the Losartan Intervention for Endpoint Reduction in Hypertension Study. Hypertension 2008; 51:1103.
(http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-implications-and-treatment-of-left-ventricular-hypertrophy-in-hypertension/abstract/24)

Solomon SD, Appelbaum E, Manning WJ, et al. Effect of the direct Renin inhibitor aliskiren, the Angiotensin receptor blocker losartan, or both on left ventricular mass in patients with hypertension and left ventricular hypertrophy. Circulation 2009; 119:530.
(http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-implications-and-treatment-of-left-ventricular-hypertrophy-in-hypertension/abstract/25)

That's the only issue I had with Danny's post. The vast majority of what he posted is sound and makes excellent sense, but I disagree in that induced cardiomyocyte growth (as particular seen in ventricular hypertrophy) is irreversible as an absolute statement. If not treated early on, then yes, heart failure can ensue due to excessive cardiac remodeling that after enough time seizes to compensate for the demands of the heart.

If you can post some peer-reviewed studies to substantiate your statements that steroid use will directly lead to the development of myocardial fibrosis and that steroid use is the leading cause of heart failure over other issues like Hypertension, I will gladly read them and evaluate, but for now those are just random, unsubstantiated statements.

Not everything that is spewed should be taken as gospel.

"1"

P.S. I knew Kovacs. I met him through Desmond Miller and Victor Martinez. The guy wasn't the friendliest guy and towards the end (last 5 years of his life) he became pretty bitter towards the "sport".

Hypertrophy is reversible, there is plenty of literature on this, however,  it has also been documented that weight lifting induced hypertrophy in a natural trainer is not the same the hypertrophy in the AAS trainer.
The type of growth is different resulting in slightly different structural results. In the non AAS users, when they stopped training the hypertrophy reduced at a faster rate than the AAS user. Hypertrophy is just one of a myriad of cardiac changes that AAS cause and I would speculate one of the more reversible ones.

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #273 on: November 30, 2013, 02:20:26 AM »
I know the exact mechanism by which fibrosis develops following damaged muscle cells. The physiological progression isn't what I am uncertain of.

The question posed by "honest" was:

Whereby, the bolded statement targets the notion of fibrosis as it relates to elasticity in the heart of an individual like that of member "honest" where he changed his lifestyle and training habits from younger days which resulted in reversal of his ventricular wall thickness, but is still wondering as to whether or not steroid use will lead to cardiac muscle fibrosis, in light of positive lifestyle changes being undertaken.

I believe he was looking further into this statement by "lord chronos":

Whereas, my punting over of the question involves not the need for an explanation behind the exact mechanism in which muscle fibrosis occurs after prolonged damage, but, moreover, whether or not any peer-reviewed studies or actual clinical cases that can be pegged, show that lord chronos' statements are in fact justifiable.

Again, the pathology behind fibrosis is very much so understood. My punting over to you was meant in order to see if you have read of any actual studies that can be provided to member "honest" and/or seen clinical cases (during CT surgery whereby heart tissue damage can be directly visualized and/or by witnessed autopsies) that suggest that steroid use led to blatant myocardial fibrosis.

Since I haven't read too many studies surrounding the idea of "Steroids leading to permanent myocardial fibrosis and micro scarring", I was wondering if you had any direct input on the matter based on factual material.

"1"

There are a few studies that discuss the other side effects of steroids such as myocardial fibrosis. I dont have all of the them to hand, as I looked at this about ten years ago and posted a few on a few forums and got the same head in the sand denialist mentality from people who didnt want to discuss.

Fineschi V, Riezzo I, Centini F, et al. Sudden cardiac death during anabolic steroid abuse: morphologic and toxicologic findings in two fatal cases of bodybuilders. Int J Legal Med 2007;121:48–53.

Includes autopsy details with extensive information on scarring and fibrosis in two bodybuilder deaths.

www.researchgate.net/.../79e4150767bf7374d5.pdf‎

Ohio State University review

www.anabolicsteroidcalculator.com/resources/articles/.../chapter18.pdf‎

Sudden death is the most frightening consequence of AAS use. The etiology of these events likely is multifactorial, with AAS use contributing to the observed pathology. There are case reports of myocardial infarctions [49], stroke, and peripheral vascular obstruction [50] from thrombus that likely are related to the changes in platelet function, inflammation, and cho- lesterol metabolism discussed above. Autopsies of 34 users of AASs found chronic cardiac changes consisting of cardiac hypertrophy, myocardial fibrosis, and coronary artery atheromatous changes in 12 victims, although these were believed to contribute to the deaths of only 2 victims [48].
Many sudden death events among AAS users have been due to ischemia secondary to coronary artery disease; however, there is a report of ventric- ular tachycardia during exercise testing of an AAS user who had myocardial fibrosis on biopsy [51]. Other case reports of sudden death demonstrate diffuse, patchy fibrotic changes in the myocardium of AAS users without coronary artery atherosclerosis [47]. The presence of scar or infiltrative pro- cesses is commonly believed to be a cause for arrhythmia. The exact cause of sudden death in AAS users is unclear but likely is due to ischemia or arrhythmia.

Cause and manner of death among users of anabolic androgenic steroids.
Thiblin I, Lindquist O, Rajs J.
Source

Department of Forensic Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden.

http://www.sudmed.ru/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=4067

Myocardial hypertrophy or other chronic myocardial lesions,
i.e., diffuse or patchy myocardial fibrosis, and myocardial steato-
sis, were noticed in 12 of 25 microscopically investigated cases.

Androgen Abuse and Increased Cardiac Risk John P. Higgins, MD, MPhil, Alireza Heshmat, MD, Christopher L. Higgins, BHMS

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/775869_2

Myocardial Histologic Changes

A 2005 study reported two cases of sudden cardiac death in young male athletes related to AAS abuse.[14] Both cases involved healthy individuals without any history of coronary artery disease (CAD) and no evidence of significant abnormality in arterial microscopic examination. Autopsy of both hearts showed focal myocardial fibrosis suggestive of prior myocardial injury. In a study of a sudden unexpected death in a female fitness athlete using steroids and ephedrine, the only pathological finding was a few small foci of granulation tissue, which was interpreted as evidence of earlier myocardial necrosis.[15] Sudden cardiac arrhythmia resulting from inflammatory process and myocardial fibrosis was suggested to be the cause of death in these cases. Other researchers have reported sudden cardiac deaths related to steroids that also showed myocardial fibrosis in the absence of CAD

Reduced Cardiac Function

An echocardiographic study of 47 strength-training individuals (46 male subjects), 28 of whom were regular AAS users, revealed a lower systolic function in AAS users versus nonusers, ejection fractions 58% versus 63%, respectively.[18] In addition, there was evidence of reduced diastolic function by tissue Doppler measurement in the AAS users (ie, their hearts were weaker and stiffer). Another study of 12 long-term AAS users noted that compared with controls, they were noted to have significant systolic cardiac dysfunction as measured by lower left ventricular ejection fraction (50.1% vs 59.1%; P = 0.003), leading the authors to suggest that further work is needed to determine the extent of this problem.[24] An Italian Doppler imaging study also showed reduced systolic function but in a regional distribution.[25]

macos

• Getbig IV
  • Jamie Dimon get some $$ please.
« Reply #274 on: November 30, 2013, 08:01:35 AM »
RIP Big Kovacs, the Canadian Mucleman.
$