Author Topic: Greg Kovacs dies at 44  (Read 112486 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Greg Kovacs dies at 44
« Reply #325 on: December 07, 2013, 06:06:55 PM »
At either the Arnold or Olympia Expo, Kovacs was asked by Ed Coan and Bill Kazmaier why, if he was so strong, he didn't just enter a big meet and crush all the records. Greg apparently dodged answering with this and that and that was that.

Most haven't the foggiest what kind of behemoths and freaks exist in the upper levels of world-class (and minimal gear) powerlifting. The two men I mention above are great examples. Every bit as awesome as a Gretzky or Jordan or Woods. In many ways, quite a bit more. Drugs or no drugs, Coan's accomplishments as a lifter are the stuff of legend, and Kaz is quite simply a candidate for the strongest man who ever lived.

These are rarified athletes.

Having said all this, who knows how Kovacs could have done had he focussed his efforts on pure strength training under the tutelage of someone who had a clue.
he was strong ,,but i think u pointed it out 'smith and hammer machines strong...

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
  • Better to look good than to feel good: ALWAYS
« Reply #326 on: December 07, 2013, 06:07:01 PM »
At either the Arnold or Olympia Expo, Kovacs was asked by Ed Coan and Bill Kazmaier why, if he was so strong, he didn't just enter a big meet and crush all the records. Greg apparently dodged answering with this and that and that was that.

Most haven't the foggiest what kind of behemoths and freaks exist in the upper levels of world-class (and minimal gear) powerlifting. The two men I mention above are great examples. Every bit as awesome as a Gretzky or Jordan or Woods. In many ways, quite a bit more. Drugs or no drugs, Coan's accomplishments as a lifter are the stuff of legend, and Kaz is quite simply a candidate for the strongest man who ever lived.

These are rarified athletes.

Having said all this, who knows how Kovacs could have done had he focussed his efforts on pure strength training under the tutelage of someone who had a clue.

Exactly what I thought.  The dude was such a shit bodybuilder, but always claimed these unreal numbers.  Why he never competed always seemed fishy.  

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #327 on: December 07, 2013, 08:17:48 PM »
he was strong ,,but i think u pointed it out 'smith and hammer machines strong...

Even the machine poundages were greatly exaggerated. Why else would Muscletech film the same reps from 2 angles to make it seem like he did more reps in that set?

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
« Reply #328 on: December 07, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
Even the machine poundages were greatly exaggerated. Why else would Muscletech film the same reps from 2 angles to make it seem like he did more reps in that set?

Yeah i remember those pics.  One was a shot of him incline pressing on a smith machine with a shit ton of weight on it, think they claimed like over 600 lbs. Never believed the numbers they claimed he could put up.  He was a big dude, just didnt look that strong. 

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #329 on: December 08, 2013, 03:09:13 AM »
of course by a bit but I have seen him in person throw up 5 plates on a smith incline like nothing for reps

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #330 on: December 08, 2013, 10:08:17 AM »

also they filmed he loading 6 plates on the bar but if you watch closely he is doing the reps with 5 only. Very tricky editing.

overall yes, he was strong, but for his weight he was nothing special at all.

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
« Reply #331 on: December 08, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »
also they filmed he loading 6 plates on the bar but if you watch closely he is doing the reps with 5 only. Very tricky editing.

Yup all the shots I ever saw were with him using a smith machine.  Not even close to using freeweights.  I used to be a big defender of smiths saying u just are safer on them, but in reality I have almost killed myself a few time because of that perceived safety.  One dickhead gym owner didnt even bolt the thing down to the ground or have the cables in the machine!!  He said it was not necessary!  Fuckwad.  I saw one dude doing squats on it and the fucking machine slid backwards and the bar slid down as the dude fell on his ass and almost fucking landed on his neck. 

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #332 on: December 08, 2013, 11:59:54 AM »

strongest man I have ever seen in the gym, unbelievably strong.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #333 on: December 08, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »
Yup all the shots I ever saw were with him using a smith machine.  Not even close to using freeweights.  I used to be a big defender of smiths saying u just are safer on them, but in reality I have almost killed myself a few time because of that perceived safety.  One dickhead gym owner didnt even bolt the thing down to the ground or have the cables in the machine!!  He said it was not necessary!  Fuckwad.  I saw one dude doing squats on it and the fucking machine slid backwards and the bar slid down as the dude fell on his ass and almost fucking landed on his neck. 

The Smith machine is not only a piece of equipment that fools 'tards into believing they are MUCH stronger than they truly are, but it also boasts a huge list of lifters who have seriously injured themselves using it. Thing's a liability to serious lifters.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #334 on: December 08, 2013, 03:58:07 PM »
The Smith machine is not only a piece of equipment that fools 'tards into believing they are MUCH stronger than they truly are, but it also boasts a huge list of lifters who have seriously injured themselves using it. Thing's a liability to serious lifters.
see your point but it has good benefits if used correctly and with reasoning weight wise...

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
« Reply #335 on: December 08, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »

Totally.  I won't go near it now.  Had way too many close calls for it to be even worth it.  My best years of gains were when I did Mike Francois' training routine.  Powerlifting mixed with BBing.  Best gains i ever had and was strong as an ox.  I need to go back to that style, i'm a fucking mess now with all my personal problems fucking up my life.  Need to take a page out of Ahalo's book and forget about my woman problems and focus on big arms.  Halo has much to teach us, he is a guru that doesnt realize his potential.   :-\

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #336 on: December 09, 2013, 12:27:41 AM »
strongest man I have ever seen in the gym, unbelievably strong.

For a man of his height and structure & weight Nothing special,
strength & poundage wise.
And as for comparisons to powerlifters at a national level or above
not even close.
But still a big strong man he was.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #337 on: December 09, 2013, 01:23:20 AM »
For a man of his height and structure & weight Nothing special,
strength & poundage wise.
And as for comparisons to powerlifters at a national level or above
not even close.
But still a big strong man he was.
not even close, come on now, ya maybe the top guys ok but national level guys, no man, you had to have seen him train to say that, he did side laterals with 100lb dumbells with good form. This guy would man handle 4 plates the way you would 1 plate on the bench, trust me he was up there.

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
« Reply #338 on: December 09, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »
not even close, come on now, ya maybe the top guys ok but national level guys, no man, you had to have seen him train to say that, he did side laterals with 100lb dumbells with good form. This guy would man handle 4 plates the way you would 1 plate on the bench, trust me he was up there.
He was a fucking monster.  I saw him at the 98 Arnold Classic expo and he was a freak.  Bloated, offseason freak.  He had to be over 400 lbs when I saw him.  The dude was struggling to breathe just sitting in a chair signing pictures.  He had a mini fan on him, was sweating profusely, and was pounding down Wendy's burgers the whole time I saw him.  Nice guy though.  I have no problem believing he was a strong mofo, but maybe not as strong as Muscletech made him out to be.  Everyone exaggerates. 

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #339 on: December 09, 2013, 12:34:29 PM »

back when I lived in London Ont I used to train with a guy who knew Greg pretty well.. this fella was ridiculously strong (but very fat) himself - 405 seated OHP and 545 raw bench. He told me Greg was much stronger than him, which was good enough for me.

muscletech BS aside I'm sure greg would have been impressive at PLing, especially at 15%+ bf and bloated to the gills like most SHW powerlifters

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #340 on: December 09, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
Totally.  I won't go near it now.  Had way too many close calls for it to be even worth it.  My best years of gains were when I did Mike Francois' training routine.  Powerlifting mixed with BBing.  Best gains i ever had and was strong as an ox.  I need to go back to that style, i'm a fucking mess now with all my personal problems fucking up my life.  Need to take a page out of Ahalo's book and forget about my woman problems and focus on big arms.  Halo has much to teach us, he is a guru that doesnt realize his potential.   :-\
^^
Just FORGET about the problems- if they are women, just AVOID them... even if it means getting a new cell # and not giving it out.
**** Turn your brain into a TRAINING machine **** ;)

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #341 on: December 09, 2013, 01:56:02 PM »
back when I lived in London Ont I used to train with a guy who knew Greg pretty well.. this fella was ridiculously strong (but very fat) himself - 405 seated OHP and 545 raw bench. He told me Greg was much stronger than him, which was good enough for me.

muscletech BS aside I'm sure greg would have been impressive at PLing, especially at 15%+ bf and bloated to the gills like most SHW powerlifters

I live in London, are you talking about Scott or maybe a Russian named Boris.
They both trained with Kovacks, Scott does 550 on the flat bench and Boris can curl 225 for nearly 20 reps, these guys both say they are wimps compared to Kovacks. These guys on here trying to speculate that Kovacks was nothing special make me laugh and do not know what they speak of.

I have done a 500lb raw bench and have done a 700lb deadlift and when I seen Kovacks train I was in utter shock, A monster among men, makes the weights look like they are plastic. Just outrageously insane. 150 for shoulder presses like a warm up, up and down up and down, the speed is like he is moving 30lb dumbells, just ridiculosly strong.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #342 on: December 09, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »
I live in London, are you talking about Scott or maybe a Russian named Boris.
They both trained with Kovacks, Scott does 550 on the flat bench and Boris can curl 225 for nearly 20 reps, these guys both say they are wimps compared to Kovacks. These guys on here trying to speculate that Kovacks was nothing special make me laugh and do not know what they speak of.

I have done a 500lb raw bench and have done a 700lb deadlift and when I seen Kovacks train I was in utter shock, A monster among men, makes the weights look like they are plastic. Just outrageously insane. 150 for shoulder presses like a warm up, up and down up and down, the speed is like he is moving 30lb dumbells, just ridiculosly strong.

His name's Greg too.. we trained at the galleria goodlife from like 06-08. He tore his pec a few years back and lost a ton of weight but he was ridiculously strong at the time, and a soft 330.. like you I'm not exactly weak, so for someone his size and strength to tell me Kovacs was like him to me strength wise, that's some other-level shit right there.

Scott is Scott abel? I saw him at the other goodlife a few times (I forgot the name of it, the one near the uni I think), big guy

I guess some people feel better about themselves thinking Kovacs could only bench 4 plates on a smith machine.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #343 on: December 10, 2013, 04:29:17 AM »
No doubt he could shift some big poundages.
Nothing i have read is outstanding considering his physical size and bodyweight.
a 360lb+ man doing what??.
could he do a double bodyweight + bench press,
3 0r 4 times body weight squat.
I have, and have trained with others who have been bigger and heavier who
could also.
I have been training the man thats just got 2nd place at the ukbff super heavies
at 5ft8ins and a training body weight of 110/112 he could bench 500lbs squat 700lbs
deadlift 700lbs ect all on free weights, and other lifts to match.
That's a strong man, pound for pound a lot stronger
than Greg.
No doubt elephants are very big and can also shift some huge poundages.
relative to his bodyweight not great poundage, the poundages on there own are Big weights.

It's not me who doesn't know what they are talking about.
I'm just not easily impressed by big heavy people lifting relatively reasonable weights.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #344 on: December 10, 2013, 05:06:08 AM »
Derek even younger :(

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #345 on: December 10, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
No doubt he could shift some big poundages.
Nothing i have read is outstanding considering his physical size and bodyweight.
a 360lb+ man doing what??.
could he do a double bodyweight + bench press,
3 0r 4 times body weight squat.
I have, and have trained with others who have been bigger and heavier who
could also.
I have been training the man thats just got 2nd place at the ukbff super heavies
at 5ft8ins and a training body weight of 110/112 he could bench 500lbs squat 700lbs
deadlift 700lbs ect all on free weights, and other lifts to match.
That's a strong man, pound for pound a lot stronger
than Greg.
No doubt elephants are very big and can also shift some huge poundages.
relative to his bodyweight not great poundage, the poundages on there own are Big weights.

It's not me who doesn't know what they are talking about.
I'm just not easily impressed by big heavy people lifting relatively reasonable weights.

Well size doesn't always equal strength, so your point is worthless about bodyweight...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #346 on: December 10, 2013, 09:00:44 AM »
for people OVER 30, they'll look at Kovacs & DA and say "Wow, it's time I cut back"

For people UNDER 30, they'll look at Kovacs & DA and SOME of them will say "I'll stop by the time I'm 35 and recover just fine"

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #347 on: December 10, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »
for people OVER 30, they'll look at Kovacs & DA and say "Wow, it's time I cut back"

For people UNDER 30, they'll look at Kovacs & DA and SOME of them will say "I'll stop by the time I'm 35 and recover just fine"

:D

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #348 on: December 10, 2013, 09:07:18 AM »
His name's Greg too.. we trained at the galleria goodlife from like 06-08. He tore his pec a few years back and lost a ton of weight but he was ridiculously strong at the time, and a soft 330.. like you I'm not exactly weak, so for someone his size and strength to tell me Kovacs was like him to me strength wise, that's some other-level shit right there.

Scott is Scott abel? I saw him at the other goodlife a few times (I forgot the name of it, the one near the uni I think), big guy

I guess some people feel better about themselves thinking Kovacs could only bench 4 plates on a smith machine.

Now, there's a name I haven't thought of for 20 years+. Dude got tossed out of my old gym for trying to fight/ being a total dick.

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
« Reply #349 on: December 10, 2013, 09:10:40 AM »

This sums up steroid use perfectly.  Under 30, "meehh why worry im not an old man who needs to worry about lame shit like health."
Over 30, "fuck me, im as old or older than that dude and he just died!.  Time to slow the fuck down here"