Author Topic: are hammer drills worth it for concrete drilling?  (Read 8244 times)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
Re: are hammer drills worth it for concrete drilling?
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »
Spoken like a man with soft little girly hands!  >:(
It is actually true  :-X I am 6'0 but have the hands of a guy that is 5'6.

I need someone to hold my whopper for me.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 10:23:43 AM »
Ah.... johnny was talking about an impact driver.

hell yeah, imoact drivers are awesome. Im partial to lith ion milwaukees myself. Use them on all my motor builds

Young Jonathan seems a bit confused.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 10:25:29 AM »
It is actually true  :-X I am 6'0 but have the hands of a guy that is 5'6.

I need someone to hold my whopper for me.

pm sent

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 10:30:59 AM »
Real men have the money to have watch from my basement bedroom as mother pays other people do the work for her  ;)

Juruth

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 10:36:12 AM »
If you only have to drill holes 1/4 or less in diameter then you probably don`t need one. I have a cordless drill with a hammer setting on it that I use for setting little anchors and other light stuff.

If you are going through poured walls you will need one, I have also used mine to weaken floors before I bust them open with the sledge.
have you a moustache?

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 10:41:02 AM »
This. For brick a standard hammer drill is ok.  For concrete you want SDS.

If most of your work is underfoot, get a heavier one (probably will be cheaper too) and it'll double as a light duty demo hammer.  If you're doing commercial ceilings or going into overhead concrete a lot then it's worth spending money on a 36v battery Hilti or Bosch, but 99% chance a mains powered mid priced SDS will do what you want unless you are a commercial ceilings contractor.

Any drill will meander in concrete to some degree as the aggregate in the crete kicks the bit around.  If you're using C-track then who cares.  If timber then pre-drill the wood and use your bore to keep the line.  

Don't use a twist drill into masonry unless you want to look like a complete ass, dull the bit almost instantly, and swear like a sailor.  They are designed for drilling metal.  Metal cuts by being shaved away.  Masonry requires percussion to pulverize it.  The only exception I can think of is cold fired bricks like you would get in a historic structure or non fired blocks like adobe, but even then I would use a hammer bit without percussion.  Concrete, forget it.  You won't touch a high mpa concrete without percussion.

I've been using ramset chem anchor for the first time.  Amazing product if you're hanging off soft stuff.

What's the job, John?  Partition wall?

And my respect for tapeworm grows, if that's possible. Great post sir!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »
And my respect for tapeworm grows, if that's possible. Great post sir!

Thanks man.  I don't have enough money to hire other people to do the work for me, so I figred I'd find some people with money and then take all of theirs for drilling some holes!  ;D

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »
Tapeworm.is definitely high in my 'solid poster that flies under the radar but always seems to impress' category.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 11:31:37 AM »
shizzo being of a more feminine nature has zero interest in a thread regarding tools.
On the other hand a thread on knitting, sewing, sucking cock ect ect would be right up his street.

Yup. Sucking cock, winning sausage swallowing contests... These are essential skills in the shitzo school of fatherhood.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 11:32:32 AM »
Oh lawd above.  There's a lot of options anchoring into masonry but these aren't among them.  Don't do it, Brink.  

Tried tested and true methods brother.  ;)

Just don't go bragging about them to a seasoned engineer.

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 12:24:21 PM »
i dont wanna buy one sense i dont have to drill into concrete that often , and i dont want another tool around. im thinking using just my regular drill and bit then occasionally hammering in a nail to go deeper and accurate

i hear with hammer drills you also dont always get a straight drive through the concrete wich could fuck up your anchor placement afterwords

Hammer drills are the only way to go drilling concrete.  If you have trouble with control, be sure to get one with two handles.  Use goggles and dust mask.

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 12:52:02 PM »
hammer curls

TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS..... BOOOOOMMMM!!!!

;D
®

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
Tapeworm.is definitely high in my 'solid poster that flies under the radar but always seems to impress' category.
exactly he needs to post pics
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 03:08:38 PM »
This. For brick a standard hammer drill is ok.  For concrete you want SDS.

If most of your work is underfoot, get a heavier one (probably will be cheaper too) and it'll double as a light duty demo hammer.  If you're doing commercial ceilings or going into overhead concrete a lot then it's worth spending money on a 36v battery Hilti or Bosch, but 99% chance a mains powered mid priced SDS will do what you want unless you are a commercial ceilings contractor.

Any drill will meander in concrete to some degree as the aggregate in the crete kicks the bit around.  If you're using C-track then who cares.  If timber then pre-drill the wood and use your bore to keep the line.  

Don't use a twist drill into masonry unless you want to look like a complete ass, dull the bit almost instantly, and swear like a sailor.  They are designed for drilling metal.  Metal cuts by being shaved away.  Masonry requires percussion to pulverize it.  The only exception I can think of is cold fired bricks like you would get in a historic structure or non fired blocks like adobe, but even then I would use a hammer bit without percussion.  Concrete, forget it.  You won't touch a high mpa concrete without percussion.

I've been using ramset chem anchor for the first time.  Amazing product if you're hanging off soft stuff.

What's the job, John?  Partition wall?

nope just laying a metal tac strips  over some tiles in a door way lol i only need to go about an inch deep, so what about just using a masonry bit on a normal drill (not a hammer drill) going an inch deep . yes i already made a cock out of myself breaking the 5/32 bit (non masonry bit) in about a minite

out of all the resedentials i deal with i never have to do any masonry or concrete im an amateur at this stuff
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »
i cant seem to mix sakrete mortar/stucco type s properly either it always dusts off like a little bitch even though i followed directions to the fucking t- on the bag  ::)
A

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2013, 03:24:39 PM »
4 litres per bag, add more if needed

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2013, 03:26:54 PM »
4 litres per bag, add more if needed
80 pound bag?

A

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 03:43:03 PM »

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »

nope just laying a metal tac strips  over some tiles in a door way lol i only need to go about an inch deep, so what about just using a masonry bit on a normal drill (not a hammer drill) going an inch deep . yes i already made a cock out of myself breaking the 5/32 bit (non masonry bit) in about a minite

out of all the resedentials i deal with i never have to do any masonry or concrete im an amateur at this stuff

You need a core drill  , Falcon . I will teach you how to use it.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »
X2 looks like the fagget wagon is coming through town today Johnny

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »
You need a core drill  , Falcon . I will teach you how to use it.
that sounds hardcore i bet you need a real guy tool to put a whole in those beams
A

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2013, 04:04:13 PM »
I thought this was about hammering fat ass hoes..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2013, 04:10:37 PM »
i dont wanna buy one sense i dont have to drill into concrete that often , and i dont want another tool around. im thinking using just my regular drill and bit then occasionally hammering in a nail to go deeper and accurate

i hear with hammer drills you also dont always get a straight drive through the concrete wich could fuck up your anchor placement afterwords

Having broken up some concrete in my day (rerouted the plumbing in a basement of a house I once owned), I recommend you use a hammer drill unless the project is really small. Don't they have equipment rentals where you live? I bet you could rent one from Home Depot.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2013, 04:14:27 PM »
that sounds hardcore i bet you need a real guy tool to put a whole in those beams

Core drills are  for concrete  Falcon

Core drill bits

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2013, 04:34:51 PM »
Core drills are  for concrete  Falcon

Core drill bits

Right. -Used this to drill a hole for a downdraft vent through the foundation of our house.