Author Topic: are hammer drills worth it for concrete drilling?  (Read 8243 times)

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
Re: are hammer drills worth it for concrete drilling?
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2013, 07:02:51 PM »
Yes.  It's like going hunting with a merino wool base layer compared to wearing walmart long johns
Y

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2013, 08:04:21 PM »
i dont wanna buy one sense i dont have to drill into concrete that often , and i dont want another tool around. im thinking using just my regular drill and bit then occasionally hammering in a nail to go deeper and accurate

i hear with hammer drills you also dont always get a straight drive through the concrete wich could fuck up your anchor placement afterwords

Wet set your anchor bolts or get a hammer drill and place some dowels.

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2013, 08:27:42 PM »
Wet set your anchor bolts or get a hammer drill and place some dowels.

I'm officially aroused. Time for a cig.
®

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »
I'm officially aroused. Time for a cig.

Has anyone ever told you that you are sometimes kind of weird?  ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2013, 03:39:17 AM »
Tapeworm.is definitely high in my 'solid poster that flies under the radar but always seems to impress' category.

Thanks dude.  I don't know much but what I know I like to be a loudmouth about.

Tried tested and true methods brother.  ;)

Just don't go bragging about them to a seasoned engineer.

Passing Steve Arce for Getbig's Most Dangerous Hombre.

exactly he needs to post pics

I post pictures all the time.

nope just laying a metal tac strips  over some tiles in a door way lol i only need to go about an inch deep, so what about just using a masonry bit on a normal drill (not a hammer drill) going an inch deep . yes i already made a cock out of myself breaking the 5/32 bit (non masonry bit) in about a minite

out of all the resedentials i deal with i never have to do any masonry or concrete im an amateur at this stuff

I think I drilled tile (glued in place) once.  I probably did use a twist drill, lol, or maybe a masonry bit w/o hammer.  I think different tiles need different treatment.  Porcelain would probably crack.  There are drills just for tiles.  Never used one tho.

Do you mean it's a threshold strip?  Resi maintenance work?  I'd probably just glue it and go home early.  You'd want some glue under it anyway to stop it clacking in between fixing points, so I say never mind about the fixings at all.  Fuck it.  It's already on the floor.  Where's it gonna fall?  Idk what's most suitable but liquid nails sticks to everything and epoxys are very serious and you could walk across it within minutes.  

i cant seem to mix sakrete mortar/stucco type s properly either it always dusts off like a little bitch even though i followed directions to the fucking t- on the bag  ::)

Cement needs to set (undergo hydration) before it dries out or you get a chalky result.  Most people fail to understand that drying and setting are two different things.  It will set properly if you keep water in it like this:

1. If you're unaccustomed to plasters and stucco, you're probably spreading it too thin.  Nothing less than 3/8" per coat will do.  (If a patch job doesn't afford you 3/8 depth you can get away with less using rapid set on a wet wall.)  You can try laying it on 3/16", letting it firm up for just a few minutes, knocking down high spots, and then doubling up to reach 3/8.  If you're going to darby it wet then hit your double up coat fast, before it firms up.  Most guys here dry rule.  The US seems to favor wet rule darby.  Set up wood or metal screed strips to guide the rule if you're working on an area bigger than your rule's span until you're so good you don't need 'em anymore.

2. Wet the wall.  Dry brick will suck all the water out of your mix and fuck it up.  In hot weather wet it more than once before troweling on.  Don't plaster in direct sun or high hot wind if you can avoid it by doing it at another time of day.  Once the wall is done, and the mix is set, spray the wall again to add yet more water.  They call it wet curing.  Applies to concrete slabs as well as cement plasters.  Non-thirsty substrates are another matter.

3. Use a good quality 'just add water' product, which you probably already are.  They have 'redispersible powders' like acrylic for bond, methyl cellulose ether for thixotropy and water retention, starches (from potato, true story!) for improved hang, etc.  Making your own from sand, cement, and lime is ok but workability and open time is much improved with commercial admixtures, and you don't have to worry about mix ratios, sand granule gradation, or clay content with a ready to go bagged mix.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »
i dont wanna buy one sense i dont have to drill into concrete that often , and i dont want another tool around. im thinking using just my regular drill and bit then occasionally hammering in a nail to go deeper and accurate

i hear with hammer drills you also dont always get a straight drive through the concrete wich could fuck up your anchor placement afterwords

you sound like a fat housewife without any technical knowledge, buy diamond drill set

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2013, 02:23:11 PM »
Thanks dude.  I don't know much but what I know I like to be a loudmouth about.

Passing Steve Arce for Getbig's Most Dangerous Hombre.

I post pictures all the time.

I think I drilled tile (glued in place) once.  I probably did use a twist drill, lol, or maybe a masonry bit w/o hammer.  I think different tiles need different treatment.  Porcelain would probably crack.  There are drills just for tiles.  Never used one tho.

Do you mean it's a threshold strip?  Resi maintenance work?  I'd probably just glue it and go home early.  You'd want some glue under it anyway to stop it clacking in between fixing points, so I say never mind about the fixings at all.  Fuck it.  It's already on the floor.  Where's it gonna fall?  Idk what's most suitable but liquid nails sticks to everything and epoxys are very serious and you could walk across it within minutes.  

Cement needs to set (undergo hydration) before it dries out or you get a chalky result.  Most people fail to understand that drying and setting are two different things.  It will set properly if you keep water in it like this:

1. If you're unaccustomed to plasters and stucco, you're probably spreading it too thin.  Nothing less than 3/8" per coat will do.  (If a patch job doesn't afford you 3/8 depth you can get away with less using rapid set on a wet wall.)  You can try laying it on 3/16", letting it firm up for just a few minutes, knocking down high spots, and then doubling up to reach 3/8.  If you're going to darby it wet then hit your double up coat fast, before it firms up.  Most guys here dry rule.  The US seems to favor wet rule darby.  Set up wood or metal screed strips to guide the rule if you're working on an area bigger than your rule's span until you're so good you don't need 'em anymore.

2. Wet the wall.  Dry brick will suck all the water out of your mix and fuck it up.  In hot weather wet it more than once before troweling on.  Don't plaster in direct sun or high hot wind if you can avoid it by doing it at another time of day.  Once the wall is done, and the mix is set, spray the wall again to add yet more water.  They call it wet curing.  Applies to concrete slabs as well as cement plasters.  Non-thirsty substrates are another matter.

3. Use a good quality 'just add water' product, which you probably already are.  They have 'redispersible powders' like acrylic for bond, methyl cellulose ether for thixotropy and water retention, starches (from potato, true story!) for improved hang, etc.  Making your own from sand, cement, and lime is ok but workability and open time is much improved with commercial admixtures, and you don't have to worry about mix ratios, sand granule gradation, or clay content with a ready to go bagged mix.
solid post that helped alot, you havent posted pics of you or your wife bro
A

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2013, 02:33:46 PM »
Tape is pretty smart on this shit and knows how to grow tomato's.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2013, 03:44:15 PM »

littledumbells

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2013, 05:19:23 PM »
The batteries are pretty good in these but it's definitely for light duty shit. If you're drilling 1/2"+ I would go with this for $80

I retired before my Milwaukee tools did! If you cant afford one rent one if your going over 1/4" dia

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2013, 05:20:36 PM »
dont buy chinese imitation

buy americano

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »
Do American,s still make power tools?

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2013, 09:29:40 PM »

buy americano

;D
®

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2013, 02:29:15 AM »
Do American,s still make power tools?
yes but put manufacturing plants in mexico

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
solid post that helped alot, you havent posted pics of you or your wife bro

I'm here to help and never post my likeness on the internet.  

That's just for sand/cement, sand/cement/lime, and to some degree for historic lime/sand stuff onto traditional masonry like brick.  Acrylics like Dryvit don't go on thick so you might find them useful for low build skims.  Modern substrates like cement sheet, concrete panel, AAC block, styrene, SIPs, etc have their own considerations.

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2013, 08:55:10 PM »
lots of people are allergic to peanuts.
®

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »
buy americano

What about your Kongo wife ?, she is not Belgian  ;D, so you bought Afro imitation  ;D

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2013, 01:56:23 AM »
What about your Kongo wife ?, she is not Belgian  ;D, so you bought Afro imitation  ;D
i buy american

strong back for plow

leadhead

• Getbig III
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2013, 05:43:27 AM »
Rent 1 if its only for a single use or try Craigslist for used tools possibly. A decent brand shouldn't set you back too much and you can get the corded one that has the switch for on/off hammer mode. I am cheap and run to my dad's tool shed and borrow his dewalt. If I keep it long enough he will forget he has one and buy a new one..

Depending on the depth and layout of the concrete, I wouldn't be beating a nail in it so to reducing the possibility of cracking if you beat it too hard. Use the right tool!