Author Topic: JUDGE: NSA SPYING VIOLATES 4TH AMENDMENT  (Read 423 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
JUDGE: NSA SPYING VIOLATES 4TH AMENDMENT
« on: December 16, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »
Judge: NSA phone program likely unconstitutional

By JOSH GERSTEIN | 12/16/13 1:36 PM EST Updated: 12/16/13 3:51 PM EST

A federal judge ruled Monday that the National Security Agency program which collects information on nearly all telephone calls made to, from or within the United States is likely unconstitutional.

U.S. District Court Judge Richard Leon found that the program appears to violate the Fourth Amendment ban on unreasonable searches and seizures. He also said the Justice Department had failed to demonstrate that collecting the information had helped to head off terrorist attacks.

Acting on a lawsuit brought by conservative legal activist Larry Klayman, Leon issued a preliminary injunction barring the NSA from collecting so-called metadata pertaining to the Verizon accounts of Klayman and one of his clients. However, the judge stayed the order to allow for an appeal.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/national-security-agency-phones-judge-101203.html#ixzz2ngOvO6f2

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
Re: JUDGE: NSA SPYING VIOLATES 4TH AMENDMENT
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »
Edward Snowden says judge's ruling vindicates NSA surveillance disclosures

• NSA whistleblower welcomes Judge Richard Leon's ruling
• 'Programs would not withstand constitutional challenge'
• Judge: phone surveillance program likely unconstitutional

Dan Roberts and Spencer Ackerman in Washington
theguardian.com, Monday 16 December 2013 16.20 EST

Edward Snowden, the former security contractor who leaked a trove of National Security Agency documents, welcomed a court ruling on Monday that declared the bulk collection of Americans’ telephone records to be a likely violation of the US constitution.

Snowden said the ruling, by a US district judge, justified his disclosures. “I acted on my belief that the NSA's mass surveillance programs would not withstand a constitutional challenge, and that the American public deserved a chance to see these issues determined by open courts," he said in comments released through Glenn Greenwald, the former Guardian journalist who received the documents from Snowden.

"Today, a secret program authorised by a secret court was, when exposed to the light of day, found to violate Americans’ rights. It is the first of many,” said Snowden, whose statement was first reported by the New York Times.

Judge Richard Leon declared that the mass collection of so-called metadata probably violates the fourth amendment, relating to unreasonable searches and seizures, and was "almost Orwellian" in its scope.   

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/16/edward-snowden-ruling-nsa-surveillance

Oraclefemina

16 December 2013 9:48pm
Recommend

Having recently watched "The Most Dangerous Man in America," (the story of Daniel Ellsberg), it was quite interesting to hear the identical "national security" argument propounded by Richard Nixon at that time that we have heard from Barack Obama vis a vis Snowden. (Let's just say that Nixon let fly with far more colorful language, but who knows who says what in private, eh?)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 03:23:54 PM »
White House says Snowden should still face charges in U.S.
Reuters
3 hours ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - White House spokesman Jay Carney dismissed the suggestion on Monday that the United States could grant amnesty to former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden if he were to turn over the documents in his possession.

http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-says-snowden-still-face-charges-u-195741451--finance.html

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 07:31:17 PM »
A tiny victory.  For all intents and purposes, all 3 branches of government have a fuck you attitude toward privacy.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 09:41:37 PM »
A tiny victory.  For all intents and purposes, all 3 branches of government have a fuck you attitude toward privacy.

remember in 2005 when many getbiggers were all like, "If you have nothing to hide, why do you care?"

I'm glad that ship has sailed.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:56:51 PM »
remember in 2005 when many getbiggers were all like, "If you have nothing to hide, why do you care?"

;D

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 04:21:55 AM »

Remember when you claimed to support Ron Paul and then you came out in favor of increased gun control and various other totalitarian measures?

No reason to believe that you don't agree with the NSA snooping given your recent history of embracing the police state.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 05:30:55 AM »

I've noticed that many of the GOP gigolos in the media had much less of a problem with things like the Patriot Act when W. was in office.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 05:57:03 AM »
Good - I hope Snowden releases everything soon

Purge_WTF

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 06:53:50 AM »
Good - I hope Snowden releases everything soon

The guy could be joining Pat Buchanan and Ron Paul as being a favorite political commentator.