Author Topic: Any opinions on SALBA?  (Read 2489 times)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Any opinions on SALBA?
« on: January 07, 2006, 10:57:22 AM »
I guess it's also known as:  White Chia Seed
R

bRIZZAd

• Getbig II
  • I am... Bradman.
Re: Any opinions on SALBA?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:32:04 AM »
I realize this is a 2 year old topic, but there were no replies... and this was the only posting I could find when searching on Salba. Here is an interesting article on Salba, as a recent study has been performed on it's health benefits for Diabetics:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071115/salba_071115/20071115?hub=Health

Salba can be obtained from http://www.sourcesalba.com/

The Nutrient breakdown is quite astounding I must say.  Here is a description from the website:

Salba® is the richest whole food source of Omega 3 fatty acids and fibre found in nature. Every serving (12 grams or approximately 2 flat tablespoons) of Salba® provides over 2,400 mg of Omega 3s, over 4,500 mg of dietary fibre, with less than 0.5 net carbohydrates per serving. Gram for gram, Salba® provides six times more calcium than whole milk, three times more iron than spinach, and fifteen times more magnesium than broccoli. Salba® is all-natural, has no trans-fats, is gluten free, has almost no carbohydrates, and is certified Non-GMO (Genetically Modified Organism).

Anyone included Salba in their diet?  How about you Stella?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 11:21:12 AM »
hmmm... very interesting.  Quite the lofty claims  :o which makes me skeptical.

I'm going to keep my eye out for it next time I'm at the health food store though.
:

bRIZZAd

• Getbig II
  • I am... Bradman.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 02:30:55 PM »
Yeah, I was a bit skeptical as well... spent most of the afternoon researching.  The 'SALBA' makers funded the study mentioned, so take any results there with a grain of salt.

Here was a good Blog I found:

http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/08/14/salba-chia-seed/

Apparently Salba ($30/lb!!!) is just a registered trademark for a particular variety of chia. You can also get generic Chia seeds.  There is some debate in that blog concerning the 'SALBA' product versues generic Chia seeds. 

All the health claims aside, the Fibre content & Omega 3 content are extremely good in Chia Seeds... whether Generic, or from the 'SALBA' product.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »
Yeah, I was a bit skeptical as well... spent most of the afternoon researching.  The 'SALBA' makers funded the study mentioned, so take any results there with a grain of salt.

Here was a good Blog I found:

http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/08/14/salba-chia-seed/

Apparently Salba ($30/lb!!!) is just a registered trademark for a particular variety of chia. You can also get generic Chia seeds.  There is some debate in that blog concerning the 'SALBA' product versues generic Chia seeds. 

All the health claims aside, the Fibre content & Omega 3 content are extremely good in Chia Seeds... whether Generic, or from the 'SALBA' product.

Again, I'd be skeptical on the Omega 3.  Plant based omega 3s are different than marine based - ie' they don't contain EPA & DHA.
:

bRIZZAd

• Getbig II
  • I am... Bradman.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 07:09:36 AM »
Some websites seem to claim ALA (Omega 3 in Chia) is converted to EPA & DHA naturally by the body.  Thoughts?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 11:18:19 AM »
Some websites seem to claim ALA (Omega 3 in Chia) is converted to EPA & DHA naturally by the body.  Thoughts?

That is what the "omega 3 (ALA) industry" would have you believe and it's true to some extent, HOWEVER, it's an extremely inefficient process AND the conversion rate is only at best 12% or so depending upon the conversion capacity of the individual.  Same goes for flax.

Don't even get me started on Udo  >:(
This is straight from his website:
Read with a scrutinizing eye.

Proponents of fish oils have claimed for decades that the body cannot convert the basic n-3 essential fatty acid, ALA, into the n-3 derivatives, EPA and DHA, found in fish oils. Is this true? If so, what is the evidence? When questioned, many fish oil promoters modify themselves and say that too little conversion takes place. When pushed further on the issue, they add "in some people", and pushed even further, they'll reluctantly admit that only "a small percentage of the population may not be able to adequately convert".
The question of n-3 conversion is important, because EPA is needed to make health-protecting 'eicosanoid' hormones that keep cell metabolism on an even keel, and DHA is required for brain development, brain function, vision, and sperm formation, and has heart-protective and anti-inflammatory functions as well. If the body converts ALA into fish oil n-3, then fish or its oil is not required in the diet. If the body cannot convert, then we must all look to fatty fish or fish oils (ugh!) for these important n-3 derivatives.
Untrue Claims   
The claim that the body cannot convert ALA to EPA and DHA was not true 20 years ago, and is not true today. This claim does, however, serve to protect the fish oil market. You see, if people knew that the body converts the plant n-3, ALA, to the long-chain n-3 derivatives found in fish, they would stop using rancid, contaminated, or partially damaged fish oils and would use n-3 rich vegetable oils made with health in mind instead.
The truth is that most people do not get enough ALA in their diet.
Our n-3 intake is only 1/6th of the amount eaten by people 150 years ago, and intake was far from optimal in 1850. Without sufficient starting material, not much conversion can take place. Zero ALA gets you zero conversion to EPA and DHA. Lots of ALA gets you lots of conversion. Even today, 95 to 99% of the population gets too little n-3 in their diet, making conversion inadequate in the majority of the population. Instead of forcing them to take fish oils, shouldn't we encourage them to increase their intake of ALA?

ALA Re-Introduction to the Diet Changes the Story   
That's what began to happen in 1986. Optimum intake of ALA became possible to consumers through the introduction of n-3 rich oils made with health in mind. In 1983, the author of this article developed methods for making oils with health in mind by protecting them from light, air (oxygen), and heat during processing, filtering, packaging, and storing. He then introduced the oil richest in n-3 (and therefore most sensitive to destruction by light, air, and heat), and subsequently developed a blend of several oils to obtain an optimum ratio of the n-3 and n-6 fatty acids essential to health.
Given optimum amounts of ALA, can the body then make all of the EPA and DHA it needs? The answer to this question becomes clear from research findings reported below. Udo's Oil Blend contains about 50% ALA. Fish oils contain about 30% EPA + DHA. The questions about conversion that need to be answered are:
•   Can the body convert ALA from Udo's Oil Blend into the n-3 derivatives EPA + DHA contained in fish oils?
•   If so, how much conversion takes place?
•   Is conversion sufficient for health needs?

Research Hot off the Press   
All three of these questions were answered in October 2002, by two studies published in the British Journal of Nutrition (BJN) which measured the conversion of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), the short chain n-3 essential fatty acid, into the long chain n-3 derivatives EPA, DPA, and DHA. The first study1, carried out with six women, showed that these women converted an average of 36% of the ALA they were given into long chain n-3 derivatives (21% EPA, 6%DPA, 9%DHA).
The second study2, done with six men, showed that the men converted an average of 16% of the ALA they received into long-chain n-3 derivatives (8%EPA, 8%DPA). In this study, the men produced no DHA. However, another study showed that men convert ALA to DHA as well3.
Udo's Comment: Women must be able to convert enough ALA to long chain n-3 to feed two brains, theirs and that of the child growing within them. Men have only one brain to feed, and therefore require less conversion to DHA than women do.
abbreviations
references

Estrogen Effect   
In the study of conversion, 3 women using birth control pills (estrogen) converted more efficiently than did 3 women not taking 'the pill' who relied only on the estrogen produced by their body. The researchers suggest that estrogen may speed conversion.1 If the researchers are right, increased estrogen intake will help women after menopause, as well as men throughout their life (because men produce only small amounts of estrogen compared to women), to improve the efficiency of ALA conversion.
An easy, natural, and convenient way to do this is to use Wholesome Fast Food Blend, which is the richest source of beneficial plant estrogens called lignans. Lignans decrease high estrogen in women before menopause, and increase estrogen in women after the 'change of life'. Besides their mild estrogen benefits, lignans have anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-cancer, anti-diabetic, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-lupus, and anti-cholesterol benefits. They are therefore highly beneficial to health. Wholesome Fast Food Blend is the richest source of these lignans.
Conversion enhancement by estrogen has biological importance. It optimizes the conversion of ALA into the long chain n-3 fatty acid, DHA, in women up during their childbearing years. Efficient conversion is needed, both during pregnancy and while breast-feeding, to build the child's nerves, brain, and vision (retina).
Rate of Conversion   
How much conversion to long chain n-3 derivatives (EPA + DHA) can a woman accomplish from the ALA in Udo's Choice Oil Blend? A 100-pound woman taking the recommended 2 tablespoons of Udo's Oil per day (1 tablespoon/50 pounds of body weight per day) will get about 14grams (14,000mg) of ALA. At the 36% conversion rate found in the study with young women, 14,000mg of ALA produces a total of 5,040mg of long chain n-3 (2,940mg of EPA, 840mg of DPA, and 1,260mg of DHA). 36% conversion of the oil blend produces the equivalent of about 17 large (1,000mg) capsules of fish oil (each containing 300mg of EPA + DHA), which is close to twice as much as the highest recommended therapeutic dose of fish oil.
Using rate of conversion measured in the study with men, how much ALA is converted? A 150-pound man converting 16% of the recommended 3 tablespoons/day (again, 1 tablespoon/50 pounds of body weight/day of Udo's Choice Oil Blend) ends up with 3,360mg of long chain n-3 (EPA + DPA), the equivalent of 11 large capsules of fish oil. This again is more than the highest recommended therapeutic dose of fish oil. The fact that no DHA was produced in the study with men prompted the researchers to speculate that men may need to eat fish or take fish oil supplements, but other studies find that men do make DHA.
Practical Conversion Confirmation   The conversion numbers given above confirm what health practitioners see in their practice. Patients readily switch from fish oils to Udo's Oil Blend because they prefer its taste. Used at the optimum dose of one tablespoon/50 pounds of body weight/day, practitioners tell us that the oil blend gives the same kinds but also a wider range of benefits than fish oils. These benefits include lower cardiovascular risk, smoother skin, higher energy levels, stamina, performance and recovery, better insulin sensitivity, lowered cancer risk, lowered inflammation, greater heat production, and improved mood, learning, IQ and calmness, and better ability to handle stress.

Better reading:  ;)

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=165221.0

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=240141.msg3377793#msg3377793
:

bRIZZAd

• Getbig II
  • I am... Bradman.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 07:02:55 PM »
Thanks for the good reading Princess L.

Found this interesting snippet mentioning Milos Sarcev talking about Chia, from the book "Magic of Chia" by James Scheer:

From a Skeptic to Believer

There were skeptics who wondered how such little seeds could make such a big difference in energy and endurance.

One of them was Milos Sarcev (pronounced MEElosh SHARchev).  Milos was Iron Man champion of then Yugoslavia and winner of first, second, and third place awards for body-building competitions like Mr. Universe and others that catapulted Arnold Schwarzanegger to filmdom fame.

In a telephone interview, Milos, who owns and operates the Powerhouse Gym, a body-building establishment in Fullerton (Orange County), California, told me, "I have never heard of Chia seed a year ago.  Then Bob Anderson gave me a manuscript copy of this book, and I was impressed.  He also gave me samples of Chia seed.  These are a real blessing."

A Vote of Confidence

"I train daily for at least two hours, and these seeds turn out to be a perfect food for body-builders -- any athletes, for that matter -- and people in general."

"Chia seed is truly a renaissance food.  I take it every day, and my energy and endurace levels are sky-high.  Chia seed contains protein, the essential amino acids, fiber, calcium, and other major minerals as well as essential fatty acids (EFA's)-- that is, acids that the body can't produce.  They contain more EFA's and more favorable ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 oil than flax seed oils."

"For more than a year, I have been dissolving three or four tablespoons of the Chia seed in water, then spreading that amount on my breakfast oatmeal or adding it to my protein drink."

"Chia seed is such a nutritional asset that I recommend it to those who work in my gym.  I'm getting great feedback from those who try it.  They're experiencing a marked physical boost and the extra endurance that I am."