Author Topic: Anti-LGBT Baker FORCED to bake cakes for Homosexual Weddings?  (Read 91089 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Anti-LGBT Baker FORCED to bake cakes for Homosexual Weddings?
« on: December 17, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/10/anti-lgbt-baker-tells-fox-news-that-jesus-wants-me-to-deny-cakes-to-gay-couples/

Anti-LGBT baker tells Fox News that Jesus ‘wants me’ to deny cakes to gay couples

By David Edwards
Tuesday, December 10, 2013 9:23 EST
Fox News host Elisabeth Hasselbeck

A Colorado baker on Tuesday told Fox & Friends host Elisabeth Hasselbeck that he would be willing to go to jail after a judge ordered him to serve gay couples, saying that opposing same sex marriage is “who I am.”

Last week, administrative law judge Robert N. Spencer ruled that Masterpiece Cakeshop owner Jack Phillips must “cease and desist from discriminating” against LGBT couples because he refused to sell a wedding cake to a gay couple last year.

On Tuesday, Hasselbeck welcomed the baker in a Fox & Friends “Death of Free Enterprise” segment, including friendly screen titles like “Bake Shop Shakedown” and “So Much For Freedom.”

“Does becoming a business owner mean you have to check your convictions at the door?” Hasselbeck asked. “Why is it important for you to have a business and not have to abandon personal religious beliefs just to make a buck?”

“I believe that’s what God’s designed for me to do,” Phillips explained.

Attorney Nicolle Martin, who is representing Phillips, added that “if the government can force you to violate your beliefs under the threat of a jail sentence, there’s really no freedom they can’t take away, Elisabeth.”

For his part, Phillips pledged that he would go to jail before selling a wedding cake to gay or lesbian couple.

“You know, if that’s what it takes,” he said. “It’s not like I have chosen this team or that team. This is who I am, it’s what I believe.”

“Do you feel as though you are forfeiting your own rights and being forced, in other words, to participate in their wedding by making a cake for them?” Hasselbeck wondered.

“They would be taking away my rights to do what I do as a business owner, as an American citizen,” Phillips insisted. “And as a follower of Jesus Christ, I don’t believe that’s what he wants me to do. And so my priorities would be towards my faith rather than towards my safety or security.”

“We wish you well,” Hasselbeck said in conclusion.

=========================================================

Personally, I think it's sad that anyone is anti-LGBT, but it is their right to dislike it... Why a gay couple would even WANT to give their business to a baker that doesn't like them is beyond me.

The fact that a judge can FORCE you to do something you don't want to do with YOUR OWN BUSINESS is absolutely disgusting.

It's as bad as telling people who you can and can't marry in the first place.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Anti-LGBT Baker FORCED to bake cakes for Homosexual Weddings?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 11:45:23 AM »
It is happening.

Everything conservatives have been saying from the beginning is ALL coming true.

It begins with this man, but it will spread like AIDS in the 80s.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 11:59:41 AM »
Yep. Mandates/restrictions/control of everything rapidly replacing freedom and individual liberty

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 12:25:35 PM »

The fact that you can't just bake them a fucking cake (what kind of fag bakes cakes?) is silly. This is how religion poisons everything, all that is wanted is a nice cake for two people to celebrate their love and this guy won't give them that because, god hates fags.

Imagine if all businesses ran like this, with discrimination out in the open. I don't like jews, I am a nazi baker. It's their perogative but what the fuck is wrong with the world. Bake them a fucking cake you moron. You have probably supplied convicts, rapists etc with cakes but not homos. they would probably make him switch the frosting to cum and the chocolate to do do.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »
Lets just assume this is true.  The guy shouldn't have to bake a cake for anyone he doesn't want to regardless of his reasoning.  On the flip side, hes making a huge business mistake by not catering (pun intended) to a large market of people with disposable income.
A

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 12:41:33 PM »
good, go to jail,maybe he'll get himself a little homosexual loving  :D :D

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
this happened a while back with a photographer she lost,your serving the public you can't discriminate

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 01:05:27 PM »
Well then just bake the nastiest muthafucking cake you can.  It could look nice but taste like vinegar.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »
Is this the only bakery in town?

They can't go to another baker?

It has to be him. Only him? And because of that he HAS to give in to the whim of these clients? It's as if the owner is some kind of slave. You better bake us a cake or else!

Any business owner should have the right to sell to whom they want. IF people don't like it, they can go to another business.  They can tell friends and family not to patron that business.

NOooooooo. That's not enough anymore. Now the law has to come down on that business owner and threaten him with jail.

HEHEHEHE!! This is nuts.  The owner has the right to reject any customer he wants. The customer has the right to make their feelings felt and go on their way. That's it.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 01:08:54 PM »

It has to be him. Only him? And because of that he HAS to give in to the whim of these clients? It's as if the owner is some kind of slave. You better bake us a cake or else!

Any business owner should have the right to sell to whom they want. IF people don't like it, they can go to another business.  They can tell friends and family not to patron that business.

NOooooooo. That's not enough anymore. Now the law has to come down on that business owner and threaten him with jail.

HEHEHEHE!! This is nuts.  The owner has the right to reject any customer he wants. The customer has the right to make their feelings felt and go on their way. That's it.

well your wrong,just because you think something doesn't make it right,to bad.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 01:10:53 PM »
So a Jewish baker should be made to bake a cake for a neo-nazi? 
A

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 01:12:21 PM »
So a Jewish baker should be made to bake a cake for a neo-nazi? 

if he's open to the public the law says yes

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »

WRONG....its a public business meaning that it has to follow state and federal guidelines.  You cannot refuse business based on race, sex, disability, orientation, etc.....that's the rules and if they don't wish to follow them, they need to find another line of work.

That's why we don't have "Whites Only" Restaurants anymore. ::)  
A

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 01:13:09 PM »
if he's open to the public the law says yes

Doesn't sound like freedom.
A

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 01:14:57 PM »

well discrimination doesn't sound like freedom either

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 01:16:46 PM »
This is a simple sign thats you see in almost every business "We reserve the right to refuse service". This decision is an infringement on private businesses. The judge can go screw himself.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »

Run your own business and you'll figure that out quickly that it isn't YOUR BUSINESS.
A

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
well discrimination doesn't sound like freedom either

A customer is always free to choose another establishment.
A

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 01:18:34 PM »
This is a simple sign thats you see in almost every business "We reserve the right to refuse service". This decision is an infringement on private businesses. The judge can go screw himself.

cannot refuse business based on race, sex, disability, orientation, etc... you will lose

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 01:19:12 PM »
So sick of these twinks demanding everything.   Maybe they should lace the cake w ex lax or something

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 01:20:04 PM »
A customer is always free to choose another establishment.

he doesn't have to if your open to the public

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 01:21:11 PM »
On the flip side, hes making a huge business mistake by not catering (pun intended) to a large market of people with disposable income.

Not necessarily, this might work out similarly to Chick-Fil-A, where people who supported their values/beliefs swarmed there to make a political statement (and buy chicken, even if they've never tried it before).

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »
Just because courts call it "discrimination" doesn't make it so.

People in California voted against such disgusting unions. In almost every state, the citizens voted against it, only to have the courts go against their wishes.

So. No. Courts are not always right. Just look at crapcare.

Either way. The owner should have the right to not make the cake. The client should have only the right to move on to another business. And the courts should stay out of it.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 01:21:35 PM »
That's not true... You can refuse to service anyone... It is illegal to use those things to keep from HIRING people, but you can refuse to serve anyone for any reason.

your 100% wrong

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 01:21:50 PM »

Run your own business and you'll figure that out quickly that it isn't YOUR BUSINESS.

That is the problem, it should be your business to do with as you choose. An owner should have the right to refuse service to a customer if they don't feel comfortable serving them.
A