Author Topic: brown rice?  (Read 3987 times)

tarzapedamonkey

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
brown rice?
« on: January 08, 2006, 05:08:59 PM »
ive been eating brown rice and just wanyed to know if anyone can tell me what are tje nutritionnal benefits compared to white rice?

is  it really that much better for you?

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: brown rice?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 01:33:20 AM »
I think its a complex carbohydrate. So you get energy instead of fat. :D
S

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 02:29:53 AM »
I don't know if it makes that much a difference from a weightloss perspective, but it has more fiber, vitamines and minerals, more natural as white rice is more refined.
If you don't think it taste as good as white rice, maybe you can eat white rice once in a while and brown rice for the most part... stay away from the type of white rice that's very quick to cook though.
Z

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 05:03:53 AM »
Besides the taste, brown rice takes longer to digest so it will sit in your stomach longer.  The same goes for Yams vs. potatoes.

tarzapedamonkey

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 07:29:20 PM »
thx for the info bros

it does take forever to cook

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 08:20:15 PM »
is  it really that much better for you?

No.

Keep calories the same at the end of the day and it makes absolutely no difference.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 09:39:54 PM »
thx for the info bros

it does take forever to cook
Do like I do and cook it once wk...they invented tupperware for a reason.  Every Sunday I cook a giant bowl of brown rice to last through the wk, along with a bunch of other stuff, that way it's on hand when you need it... it only takes about an hour to cook.

tarzapedamonkey

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 08:48:26 PM »
actually its funny you say that thats what i did
way better that way
i just cooked a bag of it then put it in the fridge, then warm it up ,way easier that way

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 10:34:44 PM »
Thats good stuff. They sell some at GFS thats cooked but frozen you just microwave it.
S

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
  • 1 DiRty Dawg eat dawg world...
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 04:30:34 AM »
Brown to white rice is the equivelant to eating Whole grain bread to wonder white bread. They are not the same and totally different. White Rice is refined, which means it is instantly digestable, which in turn spikes your blood sugar and make you crave sweets. Brown Rice is all fiber which means it is slower to digest and keeps your blood sugar stable, it also keeps you full for a longer period of time and prevents you from eating more which is good especially on a low cal diet.

To better the taste get some low sodium beef, chicken or veg stock and cook the rice in it...

standontop

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 08:20:47 AM »
If you live near Trader Joe's Super market they sell....real (not instant) cooked brown rice frozen in individual bags

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 12:07:43 PM »
God, I miss Trader Joe's

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 12:19:06 PM »

Nutritional Value & Recipies

BROWN RICE versus WHITE RICE
Brown Rice Tips the Scale for Good Nutrition
Milling is the primary difference between brown and white rice. The varieties may be identical, but it is in the milling process where brown rice becomes white rice. Milling, often called "whitening", removes the outer bran layer of the rice grain.

What does that do to the rice grain? Does milling affect the nutritional quality of the rice? The answer to this question is YES. Milling strips off the bran layer, leaving a core comprised of mostly carbohydrates. In this bran layer resides nutrients of vital importance in the diet, making white rice a poor competitor in the nutrition game The following chart shows the nutritional differences between brown and white rices. Fiber is dramatically lower in white rice, as are the oils, most of the B vitamins, and important minerals.

Brown Rice  White Rice
                                     1 cup           1 cup
Calories                          232             223
Protein                           4.88 g         4.10 g
Carbohydrate                49.7 g         49.6 g
Fat                                 1.17 g        0.205 g
Dietary Fiber                   3.32 g        0.74 g
Thiamin (B1)                 0.176 mg    0.223 mg
Riboflavin (B2)            0.039 mg      0.021 mg
Niacin (B3)                   2.730 mg     2.050 mg
Vitamin B6                    0.294 mg    0.103 mg
Folacin                          10 mcg         4.1 mcg
Vitamin E                        1.4 mg      0.462 mg
Magnesium                    72.2 mg      22.6 mg
Phosphorus                   142 mg      57.4 mg
Potassium                     137 mg       57.4 mg
Selenium                         26 mg       19 mg
Zinc                                1.05 mg    0.841 mg

Bran contains several things of major importance - two major ones are fiber and essential oils. Fiber is not only filling, but is implicated in prevention of major diseases in this country such as certain gastrointestinal diseases and heart disease.The National Cancer Institute recommends 25 grams of fiber a day, a cup of brown rice adds nearly 3.5 g , while an equal amount of white rice not even 1 g. Also, components of the oils present in rice bran have been shown in numerous studies to decrease serum cholesterol, a major risk factor in heart disease.

According to the USDA's new food guide pyramid with six major food groups (fats, dairy, protein, vegetables, fruits, and starches), starches should comprise the major portion of the diet - about 58% - which translates into 6-11 servings of carbohydrate a day. Whole grains such as brown rice figure prominently in this group. A one cup serving of brown rice yields about 50 grams of carbohydrate. In addition, it has been shown that diet rich in carbohydrates can be useful in weight control. Studies show that diets with identical caloric loads but one richer in fats and protein versus a diet rich in carbohydrate tends to contribute to weight gain. Dietary fat tends to go to body fat stores whereas dietary carbohydrate tends to be utilized or held in muscle stores for a period of time. We are much better off, then, to eat a well balanced diet low in fat and rich in complex carbohdrates. Brown rice rounds out the diet in a way white rice cannot begin to approach.
:D Weee

Chewee597

• Getbig I
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 05:30:22 AM »
Good morning,
I was just wondering which is better for bulking or cutting, brown rice or Uncle Ben's? I like Uncle Ben's and eat  it a lot, but I would switch to brown rice if it was better for me. Thanks in advance.

Jake.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 08:20:59 AM »
well it looks like Cheri's got it covered as far as a good comparison.....

For what it's worth, though, Oatmeal's the best non-veggie carb to eat on a diet.
:-)