Author Topic: Marines: Most Female Recruits Don't Meet New Pullup Standard (3 Pullups)  (Read 10316 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
http://www.npr.org/2013/12/27/257363943/marines-most-female-recruits-dont-meet-new-pullup-standard?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=nprfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook

Starting Jan. 1, every woman in the Marines Corps was supposed to meet a new physical standard by performing three pullups. But that has been put off.

The Marine Corps announced it quietly. There was no news conference — just a notice on its social media sites and an item on its own TV show, The Corps Report.

Lance Cpl. Ally Beiswanger explained that the pullup test had been put off until sometime next year, to gather more data and "ensure all female Marines are given the best opportunity to succeed."

So far, female Marines are not succeeding. Fifty-five percent of female recruits tested at the end of boot camp were doing fewer than three pullups; only 1 percent of male recruits failed the test.

The three pullups is already the minimum required for all male Marines. Now the Marine Corps has postponed the plan, and that's raising questions about whether women have the physical strength to handle ground combat, which they'll be allowed to do beginning in 2016.

Marine officers would not talk to NPR on tape. They said they delayed the pullup requirement to avoid losing not only recruits but also current female Marines who can't pass the test.

The Marine Corps has been using it to test upper body strength for men for more than 40 years. And that upper body strength, they say, is necessary to serve in ground combat: to pull yourself out of a canal in Afghanistan, to climb over a mud wall, to carry an ammunition box.

Setting A Tougher Standard

Related NPR stories

Pfc. Katie Gorz (center) served as a squad leader during the training at Camp Geiger, N.C.

National Security

Women Pass Marine Training, Clear First Hurdle To Combat Role

Women in the U.S. military will be integrated into front-line combat units by 2016, the Pentagon says. Here, female Marine recruits stand in formation during pugil stick training in boot camp earlier this year at Parris Island, S.C.

The Two-Way

'Days Of Rambo Are Over': Pentagon Details Women's Move To Combat

Women In Combat: Obstacles Remain As Exclusion Policy Ends

For years, female Marines have had to meet a different standard — an exercise called the "flexed arm hang" (holding one's chin above the pullup bar for at least 15 seconds).

But beginning in 2016, women in the Marine Corps and Army will be allowed to serve in infantry, armor and artillery units. And they'll need to be strong enough to climb those mud walls and carry ammunition.

Robert Maginnis, a retired Army lieutenant colonel, says the delay shows that women just can't meet the same standards.

"Young women, in spite of all the training and all the best intentions, are not going to be the equal of young men in terms of upper body strength," Maginnis says. "You've got to have a lot of upper body strength to lift the stuff. Been there, done that."

Maginnis just wrote a book called Deadly Consequences: How Cowards are Pushing Women into Combat. He says the issue has more to do with politics than protecting the nation.

A Former Marine Says It's Possible

However, Greg Jacob, a former Marine, says women can build the strength they need for pullups, and he has seen it done.

He served as a Marine infantry officer in the Balkans and Africa, and now he works for the Service Women's Action Network, a group that advocates for military women. When he was a Marine trainer in North Carolina, he required his female instructors to knock out pullups just like the guys.

"At first, a lot of women weren't able to do it," Jacob says. "They were able to do one, some were able to do two, but what happened was by having that standard and enforcing that standard, it made my Marines, it made the troops go to the gym and train to that standard."

Within six months, all of the women in his company were doing eight to 12 pullups, he says.

Jacob says the Marine Corps must do a better job of training women to reach the same standard as men. A small number of female Marines already have made it: So far, 13 women have passed advanced combat training. One of the requirements is three pullups.

"It's a squad-sized unit that's ready to go, and they're not sending them to their infantry unit simply because they're women," Jacob says.

Some Marine officers privately say only a handful of Marine women will show interest in combat or be able to pass the course.

Meantime, Corps Report TV anchor Lance Cpl. Ally Beiswanger wants to see if she can get over the first physical hurdle and do those pullups.

She admitted to her audience that she could only do one pullup last year.

"Now I'm up to eight, so I'm taking advantage of the extra time to complete my goal of 12 pullups," she said on the show.

And what about the larger goal of women in ground combat? That's still two years away.

________________________ ________________________ ___________

Most of the fatties in my gym , males, cant do three either. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Marines: Most Female Recruits Don't Meet New Pullup Standard (3 Pullups)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »
This is what happens with major fire departments and top shelf police departments. Women can't pass the physical test. Everyone claims it's biased against women. Then they lower the standard.  The same with the academic test. Minorities fail then they lower the grade needed.

The Marine corps under Obama will eliminate the pull up requirement for women I predict. I know all the liberals want women in combat. They will lower all the requirements and suddenly they will get what they want. A woman Seal to decorate in the white house. Hollywood will make up a half fiction movie about her and the under 45 crowd will think it's actually factual.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 09:13:47 AM »
I dont give a shit about gender.  I'm shocked people cannot do 3 pullups.  Shocked.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 09:15:20 AM »
War on men has been going on for decades in America...

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:16:44 AM »
they can't even do 3 bastardised cross fit kipping pull ups?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 09:20:32 AM »
I dont give a shit about gender.  I'm shocked people cannot do 3 pullups.  Shocked.

most of the bloofy meat heads in my gym cant do three good ones. 

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »
Chicks tend to be shit at carrying weight, too. Been on courses where all the section kit was distributed among the men as the women complained that they couldn't carry anymore weight. That's equality for you.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
they can't even do 3 bastardised cross fit kipping pull ups?

Cross Fit is total nonsense. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 09:28:10 AM »
most of the bloofy meat heads in my gym cant do three good ones. 

i'm a skinnyfat twink human toilet that worships obama's cokehead ways, and even I can knock out 12 body weight pullups without stopping.   

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 09:38:20 AM »
It's not even a question of 'male upper body strength' at 3.  Anyone who isn't a lardass can do 3 lousy pullups, regardless of sex.  The average highschool girl on any sports team could do half a dozen at least.  

I'm amazed someone who can't muster 3 pullups could deal with the cardio or any basic PT.  Also amazed to hear that men are only required to manage 3.  I would have guessed 20 minimum for the Marines.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC č un asino
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »
i'm a skinnyfat twink human toilet that worships obama's cokehead ways, and even I can knock out 12 body weight pullups without stopping.   

Post the vid.
Y

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 09:46:22 AM »
While I was at the fire academy(yeah, I went to the fire academy) there was a women at least 60 lbs overweight who was unable to pass any of the physical standards. Her test scores were not horrible but around the middle of the class.  Not only did she pass but she was one of the first recruits hired out of the academy.
A

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
I wonder what physical tests these beasts had to pass to be police officers.

X

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 10:03:49 AM »
It's not even a question of 'male upper body strength' at 3.  Anyone who isn't a lardass can do 3 lousy pullups, regardless of sex.  The average highschool girl on any sports team could do half a dozen at least.

I'm amazed someone who can't muster 3 pullups could deal with the cardio or any basic PT.  Also amazed to hear that men are only required to manage 3.  I would have guessed 20 minimum for the Marines.

Haha more delusional than Goodrum

You must be a monster.... pray tell, how many can you do?

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 10:04:56 AM »
It was 10 minimum when I enlisted. But then again we didn't have a DS who wasn't allowed to swear and we weren't issues "stress cards" in case our fucking feeling got hurt.

Today's military is going to shit. I even read the Gov't is scared because they can't seem to recruit enough troops because this new generation is too fat.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 10:06:15 AM »
Yeah but we're not talking firemen or cops who sleep in their own cozy bed every night.  It's the Marines.  I always thought of them as the toughest ones around.

I'm having a hard time believing this too.  I figured the Marines would beat you with an iron pipe and leave you in a swamp for failing something like that.

240 is Back

• Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »
Yeah but we're not talking firemen or cops who sleep in their own cozy bed every night.  It's the Marines.  I always thought of them as the toughest ones around.

I'm having a hard time believing this too.  I figured the Marines would beat you with an iron pipe and leave you in a swamp for failing something like that.

In my gym most guys wont even go near the pull up bar.  Instead they load up the lat pull down machine and do a version of that exercise the quivelent of CF kipping

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 10:13:48 AM »
Fuck these girls - take the able she beasts and drop the jelly bodied rest.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 10:15:56 AM »
Not to mention, the police force is no different. Up here in Seattle they are having trouble recruiting cause of all the fatties. They even got rid of their "no visible tattoo" rule among other rules in hopes they can get some fresh blood. I just don't understand why you'd let yourself go if you were a cop. I mean its a job where you will (not if) , sooner or later, have to overpower someone for your life.

Especially with the rise of MMA lots of better fighters out there than there was 10yrs ago.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 10:16:50 AM »
Haha more delusional than Goodrum

You must be a monster.... pray tell, how many can you do?

I'll do 20, 10, 8 chins with 60s rest on a good day because I'm fairly skinny.  My barbell numbers are shit and therefore top secret.  But wtf I'm 41 and not a Marine.

A highschool girl is going to manage a half dozen just fine if she's thin and into sport.  

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
The new requirement should be 3 sets of pulldowns for 10 and then chug a protein shake in less than 60 seconds. Sounds easier than it looks.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 10:18:27 AM »
Not to mention, the police force is no different. Up here in Seattle they are having trouble recruiting cause of all the fatties. They even got rid of their "no visible tattoo" rule among other rules in hopes they can get some fresh blood. I just don't understand why you'd let yourself go if you were a cop. I mean its a job where you will (not if) , sooner or later, have to overpower someone for your life.

Especially with the rise of MMA lots of better fighters out there than there was 10yrs ago.

Cops have guns, tasers, pepper spray, batons and most importantly, a partner and back up.

For a SWAT team, sure, you've got a point.  But a beat cop?

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 10:20:03 AM »
I think myself and my (female) training partner are the only ones in my gym that do pull ups.  She can do 6, shes a strong vavina-posseser

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 10:21:35 AM »
I'll do 20, 10, 8 chins with 60s rest on a good day because I'm fairly skinny.  My barbell numbers are shit and therefore top secret.  But wtf I'm 41 and not a Marine.

A highschool girl is going to manage a half dozen just fine if she's thin and into sport.  

;D Well played.

6 good pullups is a LOT  for a girl, even a gymnast.  Granted, the Marine interpretation of a pull up is less then strict, but still