Author Topic: What's it like being a father?  (Read 8713 times)

dustin

Re: What's it like being a father?
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2013, 08:18:19 PM »
oh I know... in the health industry its horrible.... if you dont do exactly what tjey preach, then your baby is going to spontaenously die a horrible, slow death and its all your fault as a horrible parent.

our logic was that it wasnt practical - she couldnt (and wouldnt) stop and pop her tit out everywhere and any time to feed, she didnt want to be attached to the babies hip for a whole year (our friends wife couldnt pump, and the baby wouldnt feed unless it was her tit, so they never could go anywhere or do anything), and both of our families have been bottle fed with zero issues whatsoever (in fact, we both got sick less as children that our respective breastfed relatives).

it worked out great for us. Everyone should have the right to choose what they want to do with regards to raising their children, and the doctors and nurses were really pissing me the fuck off, they were almost harrassing us, making notes to have other docs talk to us, telling us horror stories,all this bullshit.

Damn, it's a lot more relaxed in Canada. The maternity and public health nurses here are awesome. I took our baby in many times alone for bilirubin tests and weight measurements and all the nurses were great. I always bottle fed because baby got fussy being stripped naked for weight checks, and the nurses all praised me and said I was patient with the bottle feeding. No one scolded me at all for bottle feeding, but if they did I'd kindly ask them to fuck off.

I forget which brand it is, but I think it's Dr Browns or something. Those bottles are good. They have them at Babys R Us. Supposedly helps to avoid colic but who knows how much truth there is. All I know is that our baby takes it just as well as the boob, so it's a godsend when momma is bitch and ready to rip daddy's throat out. ;D

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2013, 08:24:19 PM »
Damn, it's a lot more relaxed in Canada. The maternity and public health nurses here are awesome. I took our baby in many times alone for bilirubin tests and weight measurements and all the nurses were great. I always bottle fed because baby got fussy being stripped naked for weight checks, and the nurses all praised me and said I was patient with the bottle feeding. No one scolded me at all for bottle feeding, but if they did I'd kindly ask them to fuck off.

I forget which brand it is, but I think it's Dr Browns or something. Those bottles are good. They have them at Babys R Us. Supposedly helps to avoid colic but who knows how much truth there is. All I know is that our baby takes it just as well as the boob, so it's a godsend when momma is bitch and ready to rip daddy's throat out. ;D
yeah we used the dr bowns bottles as well. Theyre great. Our kid is already grabbing glasses and drinking out of them at 13.months old... itd insane how smart this kid is.

and hes a true getbigger, 97th percentile heights, 95th percentile weight, 90th percentile head... kid is huge, good looking, and insanely intelligenr.

and I genuinely think most people way overexaggerate their kids attributes. .. but this kid is a demigod. If he didnt look so much like me facially id wonder who the fuck my wife cheated on me with.  Lulz.

He even walks into the daycare, grabs a toy, and takes off away from the other kids, and then always winds up with 2 of the cutest older chicks playing with him in the corner.

alpha getbigger from birth.

dustin

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2013, 08:31:05 PM »
yeah we used the dr bowns bottles as well. Theyre great. Our kid is already grabbing glasses and drinking out of them at 13.months old... itd insane how smart this kid is.

and hes a true getbigger, 97th percentile heights, 95th percentile weight, 90th percentile head... kid is huge, good looking, and insanely intelligenr.

and I genuinely think most people way overexaggerate their kids attributes. .. but this kid is a demigod. If he didnt look so much like me facially id wonder who the fuck my wife cheated on me with.  Lulz.

He even walks into the daycare, grabs a toy, and takes off away from the other kids, and then always winds up with 2 of the cutest older chicks playing with him in the corner.

alpha getbigger from birth.

Sounds like a stud. All the way baby stud. 8)

I know it sounds bad but I'm really glad my baby didn't look like an alien. I'm comfortable with the fact that some babies look homely, but ours looked so beautiful. Her head is nice and round too and she looks like the spitting image of me. She doesn't have my huge nose either, she's got my dad's nose and he's white with a great looking nose. Dodged a bullet there!! I'd probably ask someone to punch me in the face if she was born with my nose. That would be horrible.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »
Sounds like a stud. All the way baby stud. 8)

I know it sounds bad but I'm really glad my baby didn't look like an alien. I'm comfortable with the fact that some babies look homely, but ours looked so beautiful. Her head is nice and round too and she looks like the spitting image of me. She doesn't have my huge nose either, she's got my dad's nose and he's white with a great looking nose. Dodged a bullet there!! I'd probably ask someone to punch me in the face if she was born with my nose. That would be horrible.
yeah I was prepared for alien baby as well. Glad to hear your child came out looking like a beautiful mofo as well.

team child stud dads ftw.

oh ans congrats Xfactor, almost.forgot what with all the dadisms flyinf around here.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2013, 09:22:46 PM »
Just became a pops to a baby girl on christmas morning at 6am. 9 pound girl. I cried like a baby when she came out. Not sure why I got so emotional but I sure did.

Guys I am not going to lie I am very tired. When does it get better?

congrats bud I also have a Xmas daughter! I have 5 and was a single dad of my oldest daughter for her first years before meeting my wife and having more. The first 6 months are literally hell. No sleep, personal time and you feel like you are going crazy. Literally. Once they start sleeping through the night its gets easier.

Couple more years they potty and dress themselves then around 9 yrs old they start thinking on their own and get mouthy.

Come 13 they know everything, you ruin their life and are always unfair and don't understand.

15yrs old and you are now the enemy and your parenting skills need to be ongoing and real parenting work begins. Emotional and mental strategy will be paramount. Hahahahahaha

Long story short. It gets easier. Then harder again later so enjoy them when they are little.

Ps - if you dont tear up when your child is being brought into the world you are probably a serial killer and should seek help. If you wondered what it would be like to live with your heart outside your body... becoming a parent gives you an idea.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »
Gotta add I'm impressed on how many good dads are posting on GB none the less. I agree with many on here. Love it and would never change it for anything.

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2013, 10:15:45 PM »
Gotta add I'm impressed on how many good dads are posting on GB none the less. I agree with many on here. Love it and would never change it for anything.

Very well said sir, I was thinking the same few moments ago.

I think there's a correlation between working out and being a good father. I'm not saying IFBB pro but guys who actually lift ;D. The dedication, respect of your body and overall physical activity.

Look at Coach, great dad, I bet his son learned a lot from him and looks up to him. LOL my 8 months old loves it with I pop a biceps pos for him  ;D
®

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2013, 11:20:28 PM »

I love being a dad.  Until my daughter was born (she is 10 now), I never changed a diaper ever. We traveled a ton, went out a lot, and drank a lot more...

Now, with two kids (also a son who is 7), things changed, but I enjoy it immensely.  This weekend was nothing but family.  Skylanders, Infinity (we collect both of them, and have over 130 figures), and Rainbow Loom (yes, kids like it), and your perspective on things change.

It is not easy at all.  You have to be much more responsible, and expenses are higher, but in the balance of life, it is great.

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2013, 11:25:33 PM »
I love being a dad.  Until my daughter was born (she is 10 now), I never changed a diaper ever. We traveled a ton, went out a lot, and drank a lot more...

Now, with two kids (also a son who is 7), things changed, but I enjoy it immensely.  This weekend was nothing but family.  Skylanders, Infinity (we collect both of them, and have over 130 figures), and Rainbow Loom (yes, kids like it), and your perspective on things change.

It is not easy at all.  You have to be much more responsible, and expenses are higher, but in the balance of life, it is great.

Wow your son is 7 already.. I remember talking to you about parenting when he was just an infant.. time just flies.

When does he start posting on getbig?  ;D
®

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2013, 11:31:05 PM »
Wow your son is 7 already.. I remember talking to you about parenting when he was just an infant.. time just flies.  When does he start posting on getbig?  ;D

Ha - yes. He is into karate, and loves weapons (swords, lightsabers, and other cool unique ones, not guns), as well as video games, of course.  Not into any of this, as everything in life has balance. 

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2013, 05:19:21 AM »
Anyone who brings a child into this fucked up world is out of their mind.

Make sure you get them a SS# as soon as possible... the government loves all the new tax slaves and indentured servants.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2013, 06:12:34 AM »
Very well said sir, I was thinking the same few moments ago.

I think there's a correlation between working out and being a good father. I'm not saying IFBB pro but guys who actually lift ;D. The dedication, respect of your body and overall physical activity.

Look at Coach, great dad, I bet his son learned a lot from him and looks up to him. LOL my 8 months old loves it with I pop a biceps pos for him  ;D

So I pose the question.  Are you guys still training hard? I hope I can maintain the balance that I have, although running in the morning and training at night probably aren't going to happen anymore. As for dieting, forget it

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2013, 06:15:08 AM »
You and your wife should check out some of John Sarno, M.D.'s books. "Healing Back
Pain : The Mind-Body Connection," is a good start.
HEARD OF HIM AND THE BOOK..SHE IS HURTING.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2013, 06:20:19 AM »

LOL at Ron - yes, Rainbow Loom has taken over my house too! Got, those little elastics are everywhere!

To XFACTOR:

We had the same lactation issue with my daughter that you are having. Stay the course. My daughter had very bad cholic (which means no sleep for about 1 year). My wife was having a hard time with lactation, which basically stressed her out even more. And then the baby wouldn't latch.

Here's how we got around it (not pretty, but it worked):

1. pump the breast. Lots. Get milk whenever you can out of it and save it.
2. take a large 10 ml syringe, hook up a tiny little tube to it, and fill teh syringe with breast milk
3. when baby tries to latch (and fails), as she's at the teat, just slip the little tiny tube into the corner of her mouth and start depressing the syringe so that tiny amounts of milk come out.

Result: the baby learns that boobs give milk, and her latching ability will grow as she gets older and stronger. This stimulates the breast to make and release more milk naturally, and then mother nature stats to kick in and naturally take over.

Anyways, whatever tips you follow, stay the course, stay committed, but don't be afraid to change if it ain't working. Your the boss now...whatever you say goes. That's a bit scary, because you're now the proud caretaker of a real human life. But there's some freedom when you acknowledge that your smart enough and capable enough and committed enough to get through this, and everything else that's sure to come. And let me tell you, as hard as this is, it will get harder. And then easier. Then harder again. Then easier again. There will always be some new calamity, and guess what...tomorrow the sun will come up.

PS: I highly suggest the GERD pillow for anyone who has a baby with cholic. Saved us from dying of sleeplessness. Trust me.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2013, 06:22:17 AM »
I haven't been blessed with a child yet. I'm getting a little older at 34 and you can imagine a single man can lead a pretty selfish lifestyle. Often throughout the day when I'm out and about, I observe fathers with their children and wonder what it's like to have a little me running around or having a little girl.

What's it like, it's something I still can't fathom? A little me that I'm responsible for.

One day I will if the good Lord wills it. It just scares me to death to impregnate some broad you thought you knew and it doesn't work out then your on the hook for alimony and child support with limited parental rights. Funk dat.

ask anabolichalo.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2013, 06:22:49 AM »
It's exactly like being a female, apparently.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2013, 06:26:10 AM »
it puts everything else in perspective

there is nothing better
T

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2013, 07:25:31 AM »
LOL at Ron - yes, Rainbow Loom has taken over my house too! Got, those little elastics are everywhere!

To XFACTOR:

We had the same lactation issue with my daughter that you are having. Stay the course. My daughter had very bad cholic (which means no sleep for about 1 year). My wife was having a hard time with lactation, which basically stressed her out even more. And then the baby wouldn't latch.

Here's how we got around it (not pretty, but it worked):

1. pump the breast. Lots. Get milk whenever you can out of it and save it.
2. take a large 10 ml syringe, hook up a tiny little tube to it, and fill teh syringe with breast milk
3. when baby tries to latch (and fails), as she's at the teat, just slip the little tiny tube into the corner of her mouth and start depressing the syringe so that tiny amounts of milk come out.

Result: the baby learns that boobs give milk, and her latching ability will grow as she gets older and stronger. This stimulates the breast to make and release more milk naturally, and then mother nature stats to kick in and naturally take over.

Anyways, whatever tips you follow, stay the course, stay committed, but don't be afraid to change if it ain't working. Your the boss now...whatever you say goes. That's a bit scary, because you're now the proud caretaker of a real human life. But there's some freedom when you acknowledge that your smart enough and capable enough and committed enough to get through this, and everything else that's sure to come. And let me tell you, as hard as this is, it will get harder. And then easier. Then harder again. Then easier again. There will always be some new calamity, and guess what...tomorrow the sun will come up.

PS: I highly suggest the GERD pillow for anyone who has a baby with cholic. Saved us from dying of sleeplessness. Trust me.

Just got that tiny little tube thing yesterday, we are starting this technique today.

I have to check out the GERD pillow.  I have it severely and my daughter does too I am sure of it

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2013, 07:33:25 AM »
Just became a pops to a baby girl on christmas morning at 6am. 9 pound girl. I cried like a baby when she came out. Not sure why I got so emotional but I sure did.

Guys I am not going to lie I am very tired. When does it get better?
congrats...i remember the moment 5 years ago when mu daughter was born...it was so much emotions so i  cant even explained..was to shocked to cry but my eyes where watery (dont know the real word). To see the litgle want you have been waiting for in 9 months is mindblowing.  The happiest day of my life.

It is a full time job to have a kid, me and her mother separated when she was 2.5 so we have her 50/50 . Always one week each. But to see they grow and smile and have fun makes it all worth it..if i have a bad day and my daughter gives me a big hug all the problems goes away in that moment.

Dad mode off/ getbig troll mode on

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2013, 07:35:50 AM »
I haven't been blessed with a child yet. I'm getting a little older at 34 and you can imagine a single man can lead a pretty selfish lifestyle. Often throughout the day when I'm out and about, I observe fathers with their children and wonder what it's like to have a little me running around or having a little girl.

What's it like, it's something I still can't fathom? A little me that I'm responsible for.

One day I will if the good Lord wills it. It just scares me to death to impregnate some broad you thought you knew and it doesn't work out then your on the hook for alimony and child support with limited parental rights. Funk dat.

I suggest you start off with a dog or a cat.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2013, 07:57:45 AM »
I've got a colicky baby girl.  She's unhappy, my wife's unhappy, makes my house unhappy.  Lots of stress...has one dog losing hair in clumps and the other paces the floor all the time.  I havent once felt the "connection" that's supposed to make it all worth while.  Fatherhood is not what I expected.   :-\

Even worse is when extended family laughs at our distress...like we deserve this..or proceeds to tell us "what to do to fix it".  Like we're f**ing morons who havent tried "bouncing the baby at 4am".

Makes me want to punch em in the face.  Keeping faith things will get better.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2013, 08:03:40 AM »

I'm not a father, but I know it can go either way.  As you can read from our resident, getbig fathers, it can be very rewarding and the best thing that ever happened to anyone, or it can go completely the other way:

When they are babies:  Forget about sex, sleep, get used to cleaning pee, poop and puke.

When they are trundlers: Get used to watching them and chasing them all the time to keep them from electrocuting themselves, poisoning themselves, climbing furniture and falling down. Get used to your nice things getting broken by your kids.  Oh, and get used to watching the Barnie DVD 10 times a day, everyday.

Hopefully your wife won't divorce you at this point, take your kids, your home, half of your stuff, hit you up for child support, lie to your kids so that they'll hate you, lie to the police about you abusing your kids to get you arrested, move far away from you with your kids so you won't ever see them again.

When they are teenagers: They will hate you and will not want to be seen with or anywhere near you, unless they need money.  Hopefully your girl won't get pregnant and your boy won't get anyone pregnant.  If so, get used to raising your grand kids.

When they marry:  Hopefully then won't marry a loser, drug attic man/woman who is incapable of raising your grand kids.  If so, get used to raising your grand kids.

When you are too old to take care of yourself, hopefully your kid, influenced by his/her loser spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend, won't abuse you and try to cheat you or rob you of whatever money/assets you may have at the time.  At best, hopefully your kid, influenced by his/her loser spouse, won't stick you in a nursing home and forget about you.

It will cost you an average of $200,000 give or take, per kid, from the time the kid is born to the time he/she goes to college.  This does not include college expenses.  That's a whole different story.

Other than these, it's great and very rewarding to be a parent.  Otherwise, get a vasectomy now.  

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2013, 08:06:50 AM »
GREATEST THING IN THE WORLD!!!

When youre ready for them....mentally, financially, and spiritually 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2013, 08:17:30 AM »
I've got a colicky baby girl.  She's unhappy, my wife's unhappy, makes my house unhappy.  Lots of stress...has one dog losing hair in clumps and the other paces the floor all the time.  I havent once felt the "connection" that's supposed to make it all worth while.  Fatherhood is not what I expected.   :-\

Even worse is when extended family laughs at our distress...like we deserve this..or proceeds to tell us "what to do to fix it".  Like we're f**ing morons who havent tried "bouncing the baby at 4am".

Makes me want to punch em in the face.  Keeping faith things will get better.

Hmmm.  You'll wanna get some of that Ayer's Cherry Pectoral.

Srsly, you're living my fear.  Respect.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2013, 08:23:01 AM »
Just got that tiny little tube thing yesterday, we are starting this technique today.

I have to check out the GERD pillow.  I have it severely and my daughter does too I am sure of it

If you do go the GERD pillow route, I highly recommend you find one that uses snaps on the strap that holds baby in, instead of velcro.

Here's why:

When you put baby on the pillow and strap them in, they will eventually fall asleep. No reflux means the kid isn't being tortured and woken up by acid reflux. Cholic goes away, and baby is allowed to fall asleep.

Problem is, if you have to move the kid out of the pillow for whatever reason (say, into a car seat), and you don't want to wake them up, by Jesus' name above, ripping open the velcro to loose them sure as hell will. You will both curse and praise that goddamned pillow.

With snaps though, you can move with no woken baby.

Trust me on this; work hard to find one. If you can't find one, make one. It is worth the effort to do this.

Best of luck my friend!