Author Topic: "Jungle Fever" outrage...  (Read 1899 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
"Jungle Fever" outrage...
« on: January 04, 2014, 04:37:25 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533645/Outrage-interracial-military-couple-given-racist-valet-ticket-jungle-fever-scrawled-Georgia-eatery.html

Outrage as interracial military couple given racist valet ticket with 'jungle fever' scrawled across it at Georgia eatery.

An interracial Georgia couple out celebrating New Year's Eve at a popular local restaurant say a valet handed them their car keys with a tag bearing an offensive racial slur.

U.S. Army Sgt Major Samuel Aarons, who is white, and his wife, Candea, who is black, were outraged when they inspected the piece of paper attached to their key ring and discovered the words 'jungle fever' scrawled on it.
The derogatory term refers to a romantic relationship involving an African-American person and a Caucasian person.

‘We have never been so blatantly described in such a blatantly appalling manner ever,’ Candea Aarons told the station WSB-TV.
The incident took place at Spondivitis Bar and Grill in East Point, where the Columbus couple celebrated New Year's Eve Tuesday night.
The management of the restaurant later explained that the valet who allegedly wrote the slur was employed by an outside company called APS Valet.

The unnamed man, who was described by the Aarons as black, has since been fired.

In a lengthy post on the eatery’s Facebook page, chef Glenn Gagne stated that 'Spondivitis does not tolerate racial speech of any kind.'   
'We are known for our racial diversity,' Gagne wrote Friday. 'We have been seen with our logo on the side of a Nascar Truck one week then we are featured as lyrics in Rap / Hip Hop songs by artist like Jeezy the next week.'

The chef went on to say that the employee in question was terminated by the valet company less than 12 hours after the incident, and the owner of APS personally contacted the couple to offer them his apologies.

According to Gagne, it is a common practice among valets to write a description of the car owners on the ticket to make it easier for them to spot the patrons when they are asked to fetch their vehicle at the end of the night.

'This valet wrote an unacceptable description on this customer's ticket, but it was not him trying to send a racist message to the customers,’ Gagne insisted. ‘He just has poor taste and this cost him his job.'

However, Mrs Aarons believes that the parking attendant wanted them to see the offensive message.
‘It was put on there in such a way that the comment faced us,' she told WTVM.

Mr Aarons and his wife have been married for over 12 years, and according to the couple, this is the first time they have been subjected to racial discrimination.

The couple said the valet was courteous and even opened the doors for them, earning himself a generous tip

‘I was upset, but more disappointed. More disappointed that this is 2014 and we still have individuals out there who still have these beliefs,’ said Samuel Aarons.

The serviceman, who only recently returned from a deployment in Kuwait, recalled that the valet was courteous to him and his wife, helping them into their car as they were leaving.
The solider was pleased with the service and even gave the attendant a generous tip, not realizing what was written on the parking tag hanging from his key ring.

=====================================================================

Seems much ado about nothing... No one got pissed when Spike Lee used the term in a movie title... What a bunch of shit.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
Re: "Jungle Fever" outrage...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 04:39:28 PM »
If he had been smart about it he just would have put JF or JFev.

All the time people write notes to remember someone...doctors, dentists, etc.

If it works it works.

This poor bloke just got caught. He deserves to lose his job for being so blatantly stupid.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 04:41:57 PM »
If he had been smart about it he just would have put JF or JFev.

All the time people write notes to remember someone...doctors, dentists, etc.

If it works it works.

This poor bloke just got caught. He deserves to lose his job for being so blatantly stupid.

I just think it's fake outrage. When I was growing up using the term jungle fever was just a thing... I often said my dad had jungle fever. It's nothing derogatory... I have no doubt that their friends have used it.

I think she's just being stupid about it.

At least they were pissed at a black guy I suppose... so they are just being mad at everyone.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:48:26 PM »
before I read this I was thinking that it was probably a note so they could remember what car was who's. Its a shitty idea to write that term down though and I dont think he will be doing it anymore.

I dont think this guy was trying to be racist, just a fucking moron.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 06:09:12 PM »
before I read this I was thinking that it was probably a note so they could remember what car was who's. Its a shitty idea to write that term down though and I dont think he will be doing it anymore.

yep, a moron...he was wrong...would be ironic if the valet has a white girlfriend .

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 08:15:29 PM »

Idiot.

It's been my experience that Black people often display more hostility towards interracial couples than whites.
w

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 08:26:45 PM »
I just think it's fake outrage. When I was growing up using the term jungle fever was just a thing... I often said my dad had jungle fever. It's nothing derogatory... I have no doubt that their friends have used it.

I think she's just being stupid about it.

At least they were pissed at a black guy I suppose... so they are just being mad at everyone.

Most of the "outrage" over incidents like this stems from self-loathing, upper-middle class, white, limousine liberals.

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 09:47:21 PM »
who cares

I'm sick of everyone being offended while Obama steals trillions, which offends me.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 05:08:50 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533645/Outrage-interracial-military-couple-given-racist-valet-ticket-jungle-fever-scrawled-Georgia-eatery.html

Outrage as interracial military couple given racist valet ticket with 'jungle fever' scrawled across it at Georgia eatery.

An interracial Georgia couple out celebrating New Year's Eve at a popular local restaurant say a valet handed them their car keys with a tag bearing an offensive racial slur.

U.S. Army Sgt Major Samuel Aarons, who is white, and his wife, Candea, who is black, were outraged when they inspected the piece of paper attached to their key ring and discovered the words 'jungle fever' scrawled on it.
The derogatory term refers to a romantic relationship involving an African-American person and a Caucasian person.

‘We have never been so blatantly described in such a blatantly appalling manner ever,’ Candea Aarons told the station WSB-TV.
The incident took place at Spondivitis Bar and Grill in East Point, where the Columbus couple celebrated New Year's Eve Tuesday night.
The management of the restaurant later explained that the valet who allegedly wrote the slur was employed by an outside company called APS Valet.

The unnamed man, who was described by the Aarons as black, has since been fired.

In a lengthy post on the eatery’s Facebook page, chef Glenn Gagne stated that 'Spondivitis does not tolerate racial speech of any kind.'   
'We are known for our racial diversity,' Gagne wrote Friday. 'We have been seen with our logo on the side of a Nascar Truck one week then we are featured as lyrics in Rap / Hip Hop songs by artist like Jeezy the next week.'

The chef went on to say that the employee in question was terminated by the valet company less than 12 hours after the incident, and the owner of APS personally contacted the couple to offer them his apologies.

According to Gagne, it is a common practice among valets to write a description of the car owners on the ticket to make it easier for them to spot the patrons when they are asked to fetch their vehicle at the end of the night.

'This valet wrote an unacceptable description on this customer's ticket, but it was not him trying to send a racist message to the customers,’ Gagne insisted. ‘He just has poor taste and this cost him his job.'

However, Mrs Aarons believes that the parking attendant wanted them to see the offensive message.
‘It was put on there in such a way that the comment faced us,' she told WTVM.

Mr Aarons and his wife have been married for over 12 years, and according to the couple, this is the first time they have been subjected to racial discrimination.

The couple said the valet was courteous and even opened the doors for them, earning himself a generous tip

‘I was upset, but more disappointed. More disappointed that this is 2014 and we still have individuals out there who still have these beliefs,’ said Samuel Aarons.

The serviceman, who only recently returned from a deployment in Kuwait, recalled that the valet was courteous to him and his wife, helping them into their car as they were leaving.
The solider was pleased with the service and even gave the attendant a generous tip, not realizing what was written on the parking tag hanging from his key ring.

=====================================================================

Seems much ado about nothing... No one got pissed when Spike Lee used the term in a movie title... What a bunch of shit.

Its good that this jackass got fired.  The valet company acted right in canning him quickly
A

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 07:59:40 AM »

Its good that this jackass got fired.  The valet company acted right in canning him quickly

Come on Vince... You never used that term? Never? Even after the movie?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 12:17:23 PM »
Come on Vince... You never used that term? Never? Even after the movie?

Yes, I've used it....but not at a place of work to a client.
A

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 12:44:16 PM »

Yes, I've used it....but not at a place of work to a client.

If the term of offensive, would it not be equally so when you use it?  Kind of makes you a hypocrite. 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 05:10:17 PM »
If the term of offensive, would it not be equally so when you use it?  Kind of makes you a hypocrite.  

The only time I ever used the term was when I asked the movie attendent for 2 tickets to "Jungle Fever", a large popcorn, XL Coke and a box of Goobers.
A

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 05:20:45 PM »

The only time I ever used the term was when I asked the movie attendent for 2 tickets to "Jungle Fever", a large popcorn, XL Coke and a box of Goobers.

Why would you go see such a racist movie?

I'm outraged.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 05:45:10 PM »
Why would you go see such a racist movie?

I'm outraged.

Girlfriend wanted to watch it.
A

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 05:49:50 PM »

Girlfriend wanted to watch it.

I commend your answers, but you know the point I'm making. You get it.

You and I both know this really is not a big deal.

It's cool.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 05:45:48 AM »
I commend your answers, but you know the point I'm making. You get it.

You and I both know this really is not a big deal.

It's cool.

I don't think its worry of a news report but the valet definitely should have gotten fired.  You go and enjoy New Years and then you pick up your car and see that....that would ruin any moment.  That Sergeant Major prob didn't get any pussy that night.
A

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 08:08:27 AM »

You used the term here on getbig when vissy's pictures first surfaced years ago
Y

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 08:21:58 AM »
You used the term here on getbig when vissy's pictures first surfaced years ago

I never used the term....others did.   ::)
A

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 09:58:12 AM »

I don't think its worry of a news report but the valet definitely should have gotten fired.  You go and enjoy New Years and then you pick up your car and see that....that would ruin any moment.  That Sergeant Major prob didn't get any pussy that night.

If I was dating a black man, and I saw that, I just wouldn't care. I don't think it would even phase me.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 10:09:10 AM »
I am opposed to same race marriage. 

Let's all go interracial until we are all the same color.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 11:32:04 AM »
If I was dating a black man, and I saw that, I just wouldn't care. I don't think it would even phase me.

Wouldn't phase anyone. Hell, I'd be singing the song.