Author Topic: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates  (Read 180378 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2014, 12:42:38 PM »
Perry will win the nomination if Jeb doesn't throw his hat in, probably.

Cruz SHOULD win, but Perry has been thru it, had his "oops" moment, and will probably be THE elder statesman onstage during the debates (if jeb doesnt enter the race). 

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #176 on: June 18, 2014, 06:57:14 PM »
Perry will win the nomination if Jeb doesn't throw his hat in, probably.

Cruz SHOULD win, but Perry has been thru it, had his "oops" moment, and will probably be THE elder statesman onstage during the debates (if jeb doesnt enter the race). 

Just LOL... you used "elder statesman" to refer to Rick Perry. Oh god, I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #177 on: June 18, 2014, 07:16:45 PM »
Just LOL... you used "elder statesman" to refer to Rick Perry. Oh god, I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

Looking at the batch of potential 2016 candidates, it's him or jeb as the oldest and wisest onstage.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: July 10, 2014, 04:17:32 PM »
If Rick or Jeb are nominated by the Republicans it's no big deal. Just one more Presidential election where I can't bring myself to vote Republican because the candidate sucks. I don't know about you, but I'm used to it by now.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #180 on: July 10, 2014, 05:19:11 PM »
I'm always disappointed by the quality of candidates put up by both parties. 

But can you really blame all of the good people who don't run?  The obscene amounts of money that has to be raised and the demonization of candidates keeps a lot of people out of political races.  I don't blame them.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2014, 06:47:45 PM »
I'm always disappointed by the quality of candidates put up by both parties. 

But can you really blame all of the good people who don't run?  The obscene amounts of money that has to be raised and the demonization of candidates keeps a lot of people out of political races.  I don't blame them.

I completely agree with you.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2014, 03:01:01 PM »

Does the GOP need a FrankenCandidate?
By LARRY J. SABATO
July 14, 2014

Did you ever see the documentary A Perfect Candidate? It was about Oliver North’s 1994 challenge to U.S. Sen. Charles S. Robb, a Democrat from Virginia. Despite the title, North turned out to be less than perfect; he lost to a scandal-wounded but resilient Robb despite a Republican tidal wave.

There will never be a perfect candidate, unless brilliant genetic engineers assisted by Watson the computer decide to undertake the task in the distant future. Until then, parties are left with flawed human beings, those bundles of virtues and vices that get proctoscopic treatment during long campaigns.

As long as she runs, Hillary Clinton appears to check most of the boxes that Democratic activists require, and one of her advantages is that her strengths and weaknesses are unusually well known. It’s hard to believe that voters will learn anything big about Hillary in 2016 that they don’t already know or suspect.

Not so for the potential nominees of the Grand Old Party. Republicans lack not only a frontrunner but also politicians who could thread every needle thrust forward by the party’s interest groups while still remaining electable in November.

For a moment, though, let’s drop the naysaying. Suppose the Republicans could construct an ideal contender for 2016—someone who could actually win without repealing the essential components of the GOP platform. What would the candidate look like?

POLITICO cartoonist Matt Wuerker, with some brainstorming (but not artistic) help from myself and the U.Va. Center for Politics’ Crystal Ball team, has cleverly assembled some of the possible “body parts” for the ideal Republican competitor. You can be the judge, but the internal contradictions of ideology and personality would likely rip apart this friendly Frankenstein fairly quickly. No party can have everything, a White House nominee cannot be all things to all people and choices must be made.

The Republican eventually crowned in Cleveland is bound to be pro-free markets, pro-life on abortion and critical of Obamacare, high taxes, big spending and massive debt, to mention just a handful of issues. Political parties, with a few historical exceptions (such as William Jennings Bryan in 1896 and George McGovern in 1972 for the Democrats and Barry Goldwater in 1964 for the Republicans), prefer evolution to revolution.

Yet even some hidebound conservative Republicans understand that their party needs to change or else conceivably go the way of the Whigs. Losing 80 percent of the nonwhite vote, at least 60 percent of young people, and around two-thirds of single women, as the GOP White House nominee now does normally, appears to be a formula for consistent defeat, especially when demographic changes favor disproportionate growth in most of the voter categories where Republicans have the least appeal. So is there a reasonable evolutionary path for the GOP that could produce a Cleveland Concordat—a platform with sufficient red meat to turn out hungry conservatives but enough tasty fruit, vegetables and dessert for persuadable moderates?

You know the next line: It won’t be easy. Conservatives will insist that no real change is needed since a hard-right nominee will generate record turnout among the true-believing base (as though the same nominee won’t generate high turnout among the Democratic faithful who fear the hard right). Other Republicans will say a congenial Reaganesque nominee is all that’s required to charm voters into amnesia about the party’s rough edges. Maybe, but there’s really been no Reagan since Reagan.

Even assuming the GOP nominee will have the requisite charisma, surely the party would have to present a somewhat different face. So what would a Republican winner have to say and do? Here’s a partial menu from which to pick and choose.

Act on changing demographics: Republican leaders have been urging this since the party’s “Growth and Opportunity Project” report from March 2013. Without a reasonable immigration plan to run on, the nominee will have a hard time improving much on Mitt Romney’s awful 2012 percentages among Hispanics (27 percent) and Asian-Americans (26 percent). Substance matters more than image, but diversifying the GOP ticket can’t hurt. The era of two white males per ticket ended with Romney-Ryan. Assuming Republicans have something to sell to minorities—not just symbolic identity politics but issue positions that appeal to targeted groups—the ticket must campaign aggressively in those communities. Otherwise, key states that used to be solid pieces of winning GOP electoral maps—such as Colorado and Florida—become harder to win.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/07/does-the-gop-need-a-frankencandidate-108878.html#ixzz37ZppBart

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2014, 06:13:04 PM »
Without even mentioning how three of the potential GOP candidates are under federal investigation, I will just point out the truth.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #184 on: July 22, 2014, 01:33:48 PM »
Rubio will be a strong candidate if he runs.

Marco Rubio Calls Hillary '20th Century Candidate'
Tuesday, 22 Jul 2014
By Drew MacKenzie

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio has dismissed Hillary Clinton as "a 20th century candidate" while denouncing her policies as the former secretary of state.

Rubio, a potential GOP presidential candidate in 2016, told NPR’s "Morning Edition" on Tuesday that Clinton, the presumed Democratic front-runner, is "extremely vulnerable on her record."

He continued, "I just think she's a 20th century candidate. I think she does not offer an agenda for moving America forward in the 21st century, at least not up till now."

The Republican senator said that he will make up his mind whether to enter the race for the White House in early 2015.

Rubio fell out of favor with some conservatives when he co-sponsored a proposal that would allow a pathway to citizenship for 11 million illegal immigrants in the United States.

The measure was passed by the Democrat-controlled Senate, but stalled in the GOP-controlled House. Rubio said that the reforms did not contain strong enough border security laws to appease conservative Republicans.

In his interview with NPR, Rubio said that for immigration reforms to pass Congress in the next decade, they have to be pushed through piecemeal. "First, greater border security, then modernizing the legal immigration system," Rubio said.

He also called on other nations to help with the surge of children from who have crossed illegally into south Texas in the past few months while fleeing political and criminal violence in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras.

"We are deeply compassionate. This country's always had a place for people who seek asylum from conditions, whether they be political or otherwise. The problem is, it has to be through a process. This nation, no nation, is capable of sustaining or absorbing mass migrations."

The senator said that even if an immigration overhaul is passed before the next presidential election, it would not guarantee the GOP winning the majority of the Hispanic vote, according to NPR.

"I never did it for politics," Rubio said of his immigration reform sponsorship last year. "I don't see a political upside, in the immediate term, for sure."

President Barack Obama received about 70 percent of the Latino vote in the 2012 election.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Marco-Rubio-immigration-Hillary-Clinton/2014/07/22/id/584106#ixzz38EPZOk4C

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: July 22, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »
Rubio will be a strong candidate if he runs.

No he won't.  But continue to convince yourself otherwise.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #186 on: July 22, 2014, 05:12:47 PM »
No he won't.  But continue to convince yourself otherwise.

Yes he will.  But continue to wear those partisan blinders. 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #187 on: July 22, 2014, 05:25:50 PM »
Without even mentioning how three of the potential GOP candidates are under federal investigation, I will just point out the truth.

The clown forgot his makeup in the fourth pic.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #188 on: July 22, 2014, 06:10:08 PM »
Yes he will.  But continue to wear those partisan blinders. 

No he won't.  He is nothing more than Palin in pants.

Oh wait.... you thought she was well qualified too.  I forgot for a second what an idiot you are.  Carry on with the delusions though.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: July 22, 2014, 06:12:20 PM »

Oh wait.... you thought she was well qualified too.  I forgot for a second what an idiot you are.  Carry on with the delusions though.

Rubio is proving to be rather unremarkable, isn't he?  not a ton of accomplishments yet.

He went too far on the "I love obama's amnesty/DREAM act" bandwagon.  The base that loved him cannot look past that.  Really the only 'repubs' that could are the lukewarm, RINO, bill-clinton voters that are only repubs now after being libs as youths.  For them, Rubio allows them to wear an (R) on their sleeve while voting for an amnesty RINO liberal.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: July 22, 2014, 06:15:31 PM »
Rubio is proving to be rather unremarkable, isn't he?  not a ton of accomplishments yet.

He went too far on the "I love obama's amnesty/DREAM act" bandwagon.  The base that loved him cannot look past that.  Really the only 'repubs' that could are the lukewarm, RINO, bill-clinton voters that are only repubs now after being libs as youths.  For them, Rubio allows them to wear an (R) on their sleeve while voting for an amnesty RINO liberal.

You can't tell the delusional that.  While most people see the reality of Rubio and how shallow he is, you have to remember that Beach also thinks Bachmann is a great candidate as well.

You just can't debate with stupidity of that magnitude. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2014, 06:21:23 PM »

Listen creepy stalker, he is smart, well spoken, comes from a big state, has good name recognition, will likely be a good debater, and being Hispanic doesn't hurt.  I have no idea if he will win, but he'll definitely be a contender if he runs. 

But you'll have your creepy head up Hillary's rear end, so you may not see it.  Make sure you check the board for regular updates. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2014, 06:27:06 PM »
No he won't.  He is nothing more than Palin in pants.

Oh wait.... you thought she was well qualified too.  I forgot for a second what an idiot you are.  Carry on with the delusions though.

I have to come to his defense here - I don't think ANYONE on getbig really thought Palin was "well qualified".

She had a better ideology than Obama, according to some.  But "well qualified"?  She was a news reader with a journalism degree from 5 community colleges that slid into the Mayor job so she could get free overflow building materials to revamp her home.  Then, she was the hottest one in a 3-way gov debate with two nincompoops, and won the MILF vote from 1/3 of the voters in the state with the highest incest rate per capita.   Served for 8 months then decided to run for VP, with entertaining results.

I don't remember ANYONE on getbig calling her "well qualified".   It was argued her experience was greater than obama's (7 years state senate, 4 years national senate, harvard law degree), but that was just trolling to make libs melt down.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2014, 06:29:47 PM »
HAHAHA when the only retort one can come up with is just parroted three times in a row on different threads, you know that person isn't got a point to make.

Rubio ain't shit.  He won't even be in the running for his own party to nominate him.  He's going to be another Perry and Cain on the national stage again.

Oh wait... you thought they were great too.  Go figure.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #194 on: July 22, 2014, 06:33:41 PM »
Bwahahaha!  Lurker you are such a partisan water carrier.  Do you ever make an independent decision on election day?  It's people like you who gave us Obama. 

Wait, you actually think he's doing a fine job as president.   :-\

In any event, we shall see when the candidates declare and run who will be strong, and who will not.   

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: July 22, 2014, 06:38:04 PM »
Yeah, I do make an independent decision on election day.  In 2008 I voted against a geriatric nimwit and his idiot running mate.  In 2012 I voted against a lib in disguise and his idiot of a running mate.

The people who gave us Obama was the GOP because they couldn't scratch up anything beyond the laughable shitty candidates they ran.  Now I see why you refuse to say you are a Republican.  I would be ashamed to admit it too. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: July 22, 2014, 06:40:08 PM »
Yeah, I do make an independent decision on election day.  In 2008 I voted against a geriatric nimwit and his idiot running mate.  In 2012 I voted against a lib in disguise and his idiot of a running mate.

The people who gave us Obama was the GOP because they couldn't scratch up anything beyond the laughable shitty candidates they ran.  Now I see why you refuse to say you are a Republican.  I would be ashamed to admit it too. 

I genuinely feel sorry for you.   :-\

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #197 on: July 22, 2014, 06:43:39 PM »
I genuinely feel sorry for you.   :-\

That's because you're stupid.  As we all know. 

How embarrassed are you to not be able to admit you are a Republican?  Maybe you should stick to feeling sorry for yourself.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2014, 06:51:18 PM »
That's because you're stupid.  As we all know. 

How embarrassed are you to not be able to admit you are a Republican?  Maybe you should stick to feeling sorry for yourself.

I genuinely feel sorry for you for two reasons.  First, you don't realize what a partisan hack you are.  Or maybe you do?  But you are really doing yourself a disservice by failing to think independently.  If you have the intellectual strength to do so, you should really try making your own decisions.  It's liberating.  You don't have to carry the Democrat Party's water so blindly.   

Second, you don't realize what a weirdo you are.  I really think you don't see how weird it is for a grown man to be obsessed with an internet stranger.  I think something is wrong with you.  I hope you recover from whatever it is.  Good luck to you. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #199 on: July 22, 2014, 06:57:49 PM »
I genuinely feel sorry for you for two reasons.  First, you don't realize what a partisan hack you are.  Or maybe you do?  But you are really doing yourself a disservice by failing to think independently.  If you have the intellectual strength to do so, you should really try making your own decisions.  It's liberating.  You don't have to carry the Democrat Party's water so blindly.   

Second, you don't realize what a weirdo you are.  I really think you don't see how weird it is for a grown man to be obsessed with an internet stranger.  I think something is wrong with you.  I hope you recover from whatever it is.  Good luck to you. 

MELTDOWN CONTINUES.  HAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

"Partisan hack".  Coming from a hypocrite that is ashamed to admit he is Republican.

There is something definitely wrong with you.  You're stupid.  We all know that already.  Unfortunately for you though, I don't think there is going to be a cure for it any time soon.