Author Topic: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates  (Read 181071 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates
« Reply #250 on: August 13, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »
In Iowa, Rick Santorum Testing a Different Message for 2016
Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014
By Jennifer G. Hickey

In Iowa, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum sent another signal that he plans to run for president, but that he intends to do so by running on a different message that can reach a wider audience.

Santorum had traveled to Ames, Iowa, last weekend to attend the annual Family Leader Summit, one of the events presidential aspirants attend to make their initial pitches to the state's social conservatives.

Beginning his speech, Santorum said he planned to "do something different" by focusing his speech less on attacking Obama and more on laying out a positive agenda that is necessary if the Republican Party wants to broaden its base.

Story continues below video.

He noted that Republicans often speak directly to small business owners despite the fact that only 1 in 10 Americans are entrepreneurs.

"There's a lot of other people in America who are looking to us to see what we can communicate to them," he said, echoing the message in his new book, "Blue Collar Conservatives: Recommitting to an America That Work,'' published by Regnery.

Santorum spoke for almost half an hour about expanding U.S. energy policy, investing in infrastructure, proposing to cut the federal gas tax, and eliminating the Common Core education standards, all issues he says can appeal to the "average American" and "reach them where they are."

Naturally, Santorum touched on the social issues, specifically the need to strengthen the family structure and to fight a government that is "not just an idle bystander, but someone who makes it harder to build families" through tax policies and barriers to marriage.

The day before, Santorum did something really different – he said Republican candidates should end the tradition of  channeling former President Ronald Reagan in their speeches.

"Every single Republican that runs, they talk about the same three things on the economy. No. 1, cut taxes. No. 2, shrink the government. No. 3, balance the budget. Can you imagine Ronald Reagan in 1979 giving a speech and saying, 'as Wendell Willkie said'?" It was a laugh line. "Because that's how long ago, 35 years, it was from Willkie to Reagan. Wendell Willkie!" said Santorum at an appearance at a picnic in Boone County, Slate reports.

Santorum, who won the 2012 Iowa Caucus, knows he must do some things the same way, including nurturing existing relationships in Iowa. He maintained connections with the grass-roots activists through his political action committee, Patriot Voices, he told the National Journal.

"We have a pretty good membership here, a pretty active membership. This is a state that is very much connected to national politics, and it's fun to be back in town," said the former Pennsylvania senator.

Santorum is in eighth place among potential GOP presidential candidates with 6 percent, according to RealClearPolitics.

Chuck Laudner, who ran Santorum's 2012 Iowa operations, stressed the importance of connecting with the activists on the ground.

"Iowa has this enormous number of grass-roots activists, people who have different spheres of influence — maybe in their county, or in a region of the state, or some are even statewide," Laudner told National Journal. "Inside the party, outside the party, on issues for candidates, everybody knows them. These are the most important people here."

Another sign of Santorum's seriousness about 2016 might be that two prominent Iowa conservatives — Bob Vander Plaats, the CEO of the Iowa-based group The FAMiLY Leader, and Sioux City pastor Cary Gordon of Cornerstone World Outreach — will accompany him when he departs for Israel on Aug. 17, according to TheIowaRepublican.com.

Santorum has attempted to differentiate himself from other Republican candidates on the issue of immigration, a subject he addressed during a July interview on Newsmax TV's "The Steve Malzberg Show."

"The sad thing is that … it doubles the level of immigration. We're talking about 50 million new immigrants here in the next 20 years. I'm a first-generation American. I believe in immigration, it's a wise thing,'' he said.

"If we quote 'fix immigration,' we simply create another problem by attracting tens of thousands and millions of more immigrants into this country who will create the next 12 million 20 years from now," he added.

Santorum, 56, served in the U.S. Senate from 1995 to 2007, losing his 2006 re-election bid to Democrat Bob Casey Jr.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Rick-Santorum-Iowa-president/2014/08/13/id/588475/#ixzz3AIwVWDqi

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #251 on: August 26, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
Sounds like he's running again.

Romney on 2016 Run: ‘Circumstances Can Change’
by Eddie Scarry | 6:50 pm, August 26th, 2014 AUDIO

Former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has denied he’s not going to make a third bid for the White House but on Tuesday he left open a very small window.

“I know you’re going to press, but you know, this is something we gave a lot of thought to when early on I decided we’re not going to be running this time,” Romney said in an interview with Hugh Hewitt. “And again, we said look, I had the chance of running. I didn’t win. Someone else has a better chance than I do. And that’s what we believe, and that’s why I’m not running. And you know, circumstances can change, but I’m just not going to let my head go there.”

Romney’s former running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) recently said he hopes Romney will run again.

Listen via Hugh Hewitt:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/romney-on-2016-run-circumstances-can-change/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #252 on: August 26, 2014, 07:12:18 PM »
Obama's numbers were horrible.  He was SO beatable in 2016.  Romney had his chance.

if he will do anything, he will run again... he will spend enough against a divided tea party field and get his 24% of the overall vote and win the nomination... then he'll be destroyed by "any given dem".

If he cannot win against Obama, in the horrible shape obama was in back in 2012... Ugh.

Romney's style of "I flirt with dems and pretend to be tea party" screwed the pooch in 2008 with mccain, it lost the most winnable election in years in 2012, and it'll lose to anyone in 2016.

Romney is amazing at many things - but he's just NOT a people person.  He's not.  They don't like him.  yes, 47% of him like him, and some "repubs" here just adore the dude.  But 52.9% of the population doesn't like him.  Plain and simple.  He's gooda t many thing, but he's just not likeable, sorry, but he's not.  Never will be.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2014, 03:58:45 PM »
Texas Abuzz About Possible Perry-Cruz 2016 Battle
August 28, 2014

AUSTIN, Texas (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – Two Texans, one White House. Is the 2016 Republican campaign trail big enough?

After plummeting from prime contender to political punchline three years ago, Gov. Rick Perry has spent months gearing up for a second run. And he’s turned his recent indictment on felony abuse-of-power charges into a campaign rallying cry.

But even as Perry works to convince conservatives that he’ll be better at coping with the national spotlight this time, he’s increasingly bumping up against his state’s junior senator, tea party darling Ted Cruz, whose firebomb approach on Capitol Hill has grassroots activists clamoring for him to make a White House run.

The prospect of a two-Texan presidential tilt is dominating political conversation in the state, even outshining a fiercely contested governor’s race – and starting to get noticed nationally. Perry’s preparations have long been obvious, while Cruz is working to raise his profile beyond just the far-right base and insert himself into the presidential conversation.

Asked about the 2016 prospects of both, Jim DeMint, president of the conservative Heritage Foundation, replied, “I think Cruz even more than Perry right now.”
Though he’s not endorsing either yet, DeMint added, “Ted has become really the national conservative leader.”

Cruz and Perry, along with potential presidential rival Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, are addressing this weekend’s national gathering of the conservative political group Americans for Prosperity in Dallas, TX. Cruz has made himself the star of such events, sometimes introduced as “our next president.”

At a recent national gathering organized by the conservative blog RedState, hundreds of attendees bowed their heads to pray for him, calling Cruz an instrument of God’s will.

Cruz himself says “time will tell” if he joins the presidential race. Perry has made no secret he’s seriously considering a run.

Two Texans haven’t competed for the presidency since George H.W. Bush and Ross Perot in 1992. Things got testy that time, as the New England-born incumbent had his true-Texas credentials questioned by the billionaire Dallas businessman, with his exaggerated twang and outlandish axioms like, “If someone as blessed as I am is not willing to clean out the barn, who will?”

“I think they’re both running. They probably don’t like me saying it,” said Texas Republican Party chairman Steve Munisteri, who noted that Texas’ March 1 presidential primary in 2016 should make it the first to vote among large states, and could leave only one Texan standing.

Both, meanwhile, would be competing at least to start for the same slice of the Republican base, the religious and social conservatives energized by an intense mistrust of President Barack Obama.

Some Texas donors are already bracing for the prospect. “I’d be splitting dollars, no question,” said George Strake, Jr., a former Texas secretary of state and Perry 2012 donor who also served as Houston finance chairman for Cruz’s Senate campaign. “It’s going to split up a lot of people who used to give to the same one, or who maybe even used to be friends.”

Perry is a monster fundraiser but relies heavily on Texas. Cruz has raised big bucks from a large national base that tends to give in small increments.

Cruz has been unequivocal in standing behind Perry following the governor’s indictment for cutting off state funds to an office investigating statewide corruption after the Democratic district attorney who runs it ignored his calls to resign. But the two Republicans don’t always see eye-to-eye. Perry’s key selling point is his record as a job-creator, overseeing Texas’ white-hot economy. But Cruz counters that only the free market, not politicians offering tax incentives or pulling policy strings, as Perry has done, can create jobs.

Asked about the possibility that Cruz had outpaced him as Texas’ top conservative, Perry quipped in June, “Ask me in eight years if Senator Cruz has made an impact.”

At a recent event, Cruz made a subtle dig when he flubbed while counting off a list of his Senate accomplishments: “Victory number four – five,” Cruz said, adding, “I could say ‘oops,’ but that would make news.” That recalls Perry’s infamous 2011 “oops moment” brain freeze in a 2010 GOP debate that damaged his candidacy.

As the GOP field takes shape, Perry has been to Iowa five times since November, as well as to New Hampshire and South Carolina. Cruz has been to all three states even more often. His former regional director has founded a group called Draft Ted Cruz for President.

Jamie Johnson, a Republican Central Committee member in Iowa, which holds the first presidential caucus, says the buzz about 2016 is growing. Especially about Cruz.

“It’s not just name recognition or likability, it’s how much will people rearrange their schedule to go see someone or meet someone,” Johnson said “and that is happening for Ted Cruz.”

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/08/28/texas-abuzz-about-possible-perry-cruz-2016-battle/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2014, 04:05:39 PM »
James Carville: Romney Will Run Again in 2016
Thursday, 28 Aug 2014
By Greg Richter

Democratic strategist James Carville believes two-time presidential candidate Mitt Romney will go for a third try in 2016, even though the 2012 GOP nominee has said he won't seek the nation's top office again.

"He's run for president twice. I once noted that running for president was like having sex: No one did it once and forgot about it," Carville said Thursday on Fox News Channel's "The O'Reilly Factor."

Editor's Note: Seniors Scoop Up Unclaimed $20,500 Checks? (See if You qualify)

Romney said on Tuesday's Hugh Hewitt radio show that "circumstances can change," and put him back in the field. He far outpaced other names in a recent poll of Republicans in Iowa.

"We know he wants to be president; he's run twice," Carville said, adding that 2014 has been a bad year for many expecting to toss their hats in the GOP ring. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has faced the "Bridge-gate" scandal, and Texas Gov. Rick Perry recently was indicted on charges that he misused his office in a case that even most Democrats see as political targeting.

"A lot of people who looked promising have sort of faded," Carville said. "Romney would be a classic Republican nominee. They always tend to go with the old, experienced white guy. And he's the old, experienced white guy right now."

http://www.Newsmax.com/Newsfront/James-Carville-Mitt-Romney-president/2014/08/28/id/591547/#ixzz3BpDtB4CO

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: August 29, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
texans will choose Perry over Cruz.  They'll be FOOLS to do it.  But they will.  Watch and see :(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: September 02, 2014, 03:44:06 PM »
Poll: Don't change election law for Rand Paul
James R. Carroll, jcarroll@courier-journal.com
8:September 1, 2014

WASHINGTON – Kentucky Republican Rand Paul has suggested that he might run simultaneously for the presidency and re-election to the Senate in 2016, but two-thirds of registered voters in the state — including a majority of Republicans — oppose changing the law to make that easier, according to the latest Bluegrass Poll.

As a matter of fact, only 15 percent of Kentucky registered voters think Paul should run for both offices, the survey finds. By a 24-22 percent split, slightly more believe he should run only for his Senate seat than make a bid for the White House. And a third of voters oppose the freshman senator running for anything.

Paul enjoys a 39 percent favorability rating in the state, the poll shows. Thirty-two percent of registered voters view the senator unfavorably, while 24 percent say they are neutral.

"I can see the dilemma," said Harvey Tincher, 67, of Waddy, Ky., referring to Paul's dual-office challenge. But Tincher, a farmer retired from a technology company, said the law doesn't need changing — the senator needs to make a choice.

"You've got to run for one or run for the other," Tincher said. "The backup is the fear of losing. … If you're going to do it, go all the way."

However, he is among those who would prefer that Paul try to stay in the Senate. The senator's world view would be a problem as president, Tincher said.

"He's more of an isolationist, and we don't live in an isolated world," he said.

The Bluegrass Poll asked the opinions of 647 registered Kentucky voters Aug. 25-27, with a margin of error of plus or minus 3.7 percentage points on the question about changing the law; and plus or minus 3.9 percentage points on questions about Paul's favorability ratings and whether he should run for president, the Senate or both. The poll was conducted by SurveyUSA for The Courier-Journal, Louisville's WHAS-TV, The Lexington Herald Leader and Lexington's WKYT-TV.

Mary Dean is among that small group favoring a double candidacy by Kentucky's junior senator — and she's a Democrat.

"I do think he's a good senator and I think he'd make an excellent president, if they would change the law to allow that in the state of Kentucky," said the 58-year-old retired registered nurse, who lives in Liberty, Ky.

Dean's party affiliation is no barrier to her positive view of Paul. "I think he's a personable candidate — you can talk to him and he will answer you," she said.

Kentucky's junior senator has maintained a furious travel pace this year, including visits to early caucus and primary states of Iowa and New Hampshire. That has fueled speculation in the media and Republican Party circles that he intends to be a presidential candidate in 2016.

The senator was among a group of possible 2016 Republican presidential hopefuls who spoke Friday and Saturday at a conference in Dallas sponsored by the conservative political group Americans for Prosperity.

Paul told The Courier-Journal in a July interview that a decision on mounting a presidential campaign "will be made in the beginning of 2015 sometime or the spring of 2015."

However, the senator also has told Kentucky Republicans his name will be on the ballot as a Senate candidate in 2016.

Kentucky law prohibits a candidate's name from appearing for two separate offices on the same ballot in most cases.

An effort earlier this year by Republicans in the Kentucky Legislature to change the state law was blocked by the Democrats running the state House.

Allowing Paul to run for two offices at the same time is not popular, with 54 percent of Republicans, 57 percent of independents and 78 percent of Democrats opposed to changing state law, according to the poll.

Stick to running for the Senate and never mind changing the law, advised Betty Jean Simmons, a 74-year-old Republican who lives in Paul's home town of Bowling Green. She is a retired farmer and newspaper carrier.

Simmons said Paul should not run for president because it's too soon.

"He doesn't have enough experience," she said. "I just don't think he's capable."

Paul's positive ratings with voters are helped by the 61 percent of Republicans who view him favorably. While 36 percent of independents also view him favorably, an identical percentage say they are neutral on the senator.

More women — 35 percent — view Paul unfavorably than favorably — 33 percent. Conversely, 45 percent of men have a favorable opinion of Paul, while 28 percent have an unfavorable view.

Although Paul has been making much-publicized efforts to reach out to black voters, that group in Kentucky is not swayed: 48 percent view him unfavorably, while just 13 percent have a favorable opinion. A third of black voters say they are neutral.

Paul's potential bid for the White House divides Republicans as much as Kentucky voters in general. The poll finds that 33 percent of registered Republicans in the state favor such a run, while 31 percent prefer Paul to seek a second term in the Senate. Just 19 percent of Republicans think Paul should pursue both the presidency and the Senate.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/rand-paul/2014/09/01/bluegrass-poll-two-thirds-oppose-changing-law-help-rand-paul-run-two-offices/14944351/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #257 on: September 24, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »
September 23, 2014, 06:13 pm
Ann Romney on 2016: 'Well, we will see'
By Mario Trujillo

Ann Romney on Tuesday did not rule out a third presidential bid for her husband, Mitt, if former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) decides not to enter the 2016 race.

"Well, we will see, won't we, Neil?" she said, when Fox News host Neil Cavuto asked about the possibility. "I think Jeb probably will end up running myself. ... He's probably looking at it very carefully right now."

Romney later said and her husband have no plans "at this point" to run again. Bush and the former Massachusetts governor draw support from a similar base, she said.

Speculation has swirled about a third run for Romney with a wide-open field for the Republican nod in early polling, but the most recent nominee has continuously ruled it out.

Ann Romney has been a driving force in her husband's political career in the past. She was reportedly only one of two members of the Romney family to initially push to have her husband run a second time in 2012.

Romney told Cavuto she would “love to see” a female GOP contender, naming South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley and New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez.

“I'd love to see more women participate," she said.

During the interview, Romney also criticized Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Shultz's (D-Fla.) comments as offensive, after the DNC chief was forced to apologize for comparing Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's (R) policies to domestic violence.

“It's ridiculous, honestly," Romney said. "I mean, I don't think they're getting very far with that, by the way. It's not going to work. I think women are a lot smarter than that. And that's kind of offensive to me, to tell you the truth."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/218703-ann-romney-on-another-run-well-we-will-see-wont-we

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: September 24, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »
Ben Carson Says 'Likelihood Is Strong' That He Will Run for President in 2016
BY LEONARDO BLAIR , CP REPORTER
September 23, 2014

Ben Carson
(PHOTO: CPAC/ERIC DRAPER)
Dr. Ben Carson at the Conservative Political Action Conference, National Harbor, Md., March 16, 2013.

Celebrated neurosurgeon and conservative darling Ben Carson declared Monday that the "likelihood is strong" that he will make a presidential run in 2016.

Carson told conservative commentator Hugh Hewiitt on "The Hugh Hewitt Show" that if he sees strong support for his candidacy, he will give it his all to win the Republican nomination and the presidential election.

"I know you like debating. And so, the question arises: Will we be seeing you on the presidential debate circuit next year that the Republicans are organizing for those who want the nomination of the party?" Hewitt asked Carson during the interview.

Carson replied: "I think the chances are reasonably good of that happening. I'm waiting for a few more months. I want to make sure that it's clearly something my fellow Americans want me to do. And I'm also waiting to see what the results are in November, because if the people indicate that they truly do want a nation that is for, of and by the people, then I, along with many other people, would be willing to give it everything we possibly have."

The Christian Post reported last month that the 62-year-old Republican has formed a political action committee under the name of One Nation which will act as a tool to provide campaign funding for Carson and other like-minded congressional candidates. Carson selected Houston business tycoon Terry Giles to run the PAC. Giles could be his campaign manager should he decide to run.

When asked if he felt like he had the experience to go up against more seasoned politicians like Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., Carson quipped: "I've been talking all of my life. And I will continue to talk. You know, I will never be a politician. I will tell you that right off the bat."

Carson then reiterated that he will not be making an official announcement on his final decision until May 2015, and insists the timeline will not be too late.

"I have a lot of consultants. One of the things I've learned is you need to talk to a lot of people. The Bible says in the multitude of consulars is safety, and you look at historical things, and you make sure you have all your I's dotted and your T's crossed, and we're doing that," Carson asserted.

"Unless the American people indicate in November that they like big government intervention in every part of their lives, I think the likelihood is strong [I will run for president]," he said.

When asked who he believes will be his base supporters, Carson said: "I hope it's going to be that individual who loves America, who understands that we should place the Constitution on the top shelf, that we should not pick and choose who the winners and losers are in our society, and that we shouldn't pick and choose which laws we want to enforce, and those people who understand that the person who has the most to do with what happens to you in life is you."

http://www.christianpost.com/news/ben-carson-says-likelihood-is-strong-that-he-will-run-for-president-in-2016-126882/

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #259 on: September 25, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »
Please god let him run ;D

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #260 on: September 25, 2014, 10:42:22 AM »
Please god let him run ;D

+1

Then when he flames out and crashes by the 3rd primary debate, his answer to why "God" wouldn't allow him to win is going to be comical to say the least.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #261 on: September 25, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »
+1

Then when he flames out and crashes by the 3rd primary debate, his answer to why "God" wouldn't allow him to win is going to be comical to say the least.

I cant wait. BB thinks the guy is a genius and i think he is a tool.

Time will tell.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #262 on: September 25, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »
Jeb Bush Returns to Fray and Finds Going Rough
By JONATHAN MARTIN
SEPT. 24, 2014

GREENSBORO, N.C. — In one of his first public appearances of the 2014 campaign, former Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida had a vivid preview Wednesday of the challenges he would face with his party’s conservative base should he seek the Republican nomination for president in 2016.

Standing alongside Thom Tillis, the North Carolina House speaker and Republican Senate candidate, Mr. Bush outlined his views on two of the issues he cares most passionately about: immigration policy and education standards. But as Mr. Bush made the case for an immigration overhaul and the Common Core standards, Mr. Tillis gently put distance between himself and his guest of honor, who had flown here from Florida on a dreary day to offer his endorsement in a race that could decide which party controls the Senate.

Former Gov. Jeb Bush signing a copy of “Immigration Wars,” a book he wrote with Clint Bolick, in Maryland last year. His reputation as the “deepest thinker on our side,” according to the strategist Karl Rove, has earned him support in the Republican establishment.Jeb Bush Gives Party Something to Think AboutMAY 24, 2014

“You have to make it clear that amnesty shouldn’t be on the table,” Mr. Tillis said, referring to how to address those immigrants currently in the country illegally. “That doesn’t negate any opportunity to provide some with legal status and other things, but you only do that after you seal the borders and you make the problem no longer grow.”

Mr. Bush supports a pathway to citizenship for unauthorized immigrants and complained that not addressing the immigration system had “done us harm economically.” Speaking to a group of business owners in a lighting company’s warehouse, he said, “Fixing a system that doesn’t work is a big thing that I think will restore and sustain economic growth for this country.”

“If it was framed in that way, I don’t think there’s a big debate in the Republican Party about the need to do this,” he said. “And my hope is with a Republican-controlled Senate, we can begin to see a conversation about how to go about doing that.”

But an easy resolution is not likely in his party. After a reporter noted that Mr. Bush’s immigration stance was more “conciliatory,” the former governor chuckled and the Republicans in the audience let out a brief, nervous laugh.

On the Common Core, the educational standards first devised by a bipartisan group of governors, which have become deeply unpopular among conservative activists, Mr. Tillis also sounded far more conservative than Mr. Bush. The North Carolina House approved the standards in 2011, but, facing primary challengers from the right earlier this year, Mr. Tillis backed away from them.

“I’m not willing to settle just for a national standard if we think we can find things to set a new standard and a best practice,” Mr. Tillis said, pivoting to an attack on the federal Education Department as “a bureaucracy of 5,000 people in Washington” who make an average salary of a little more than $100,000.

While criticizing the Education Department is common among Republicans, Mr. Tillis was standing next to the younger brother of President George W. Bush, whose signature accomplishments include No Child Left Behind, the sweeping federal education law run by the department.

Continue reading the main storyContinue reading the main storyContinue reading the main story
Mr. Bush sensed the need to play down any differences and returned to the microphone. “We can argue about what to call these things,” he said, but maintained that the focus ought to be on ensuring high standards.

The two issues, though, illustrate the rightward drift of the Republican Party since President Bush left the White House, and the pressure current candidates feel to respond to the more conservative party base.

For Jeb Bush, who has not been in office since 2007, all the rhetorical footwork showed what he would have to contend with should he seek the Republican nomination.

Mr. Bush deflected a question on his intentions during the event, but in a brief conversation as he headed for his car, he suggested that taking on his own party’s rank-and-file was not among his considerations. “It’s not a political process, so it won’t take that long once I start,” he said of his decision making.

Asked if his concerns were family-related, he said, “Yeah.”

Mr. Bush’s wife, Columba, showed little appetite for the political sphere when he served two terms as Florida’s governor. But many Republicans believe the more pressing concern for Mr. Bush is how a presidential campaign would affect his daughter, Noelle, who has struggled with substance abuse in the past.

For now, Mr. Bush, who until now has mostly appeared at fund-raisers closed to the press, said he was going to focus on electing Republican governors and members of Congress.

“I’ve done this every election cycle, when I was governor and post my governorship,” he said of his campaign schedule. “I guess because of the speculation, no one really cared back then, and now it’s a bigger deal.”

Correction: September 24, 2014
An earlier version of this article misstated the day of Jeb Bush’s appearance in North Carolina. It was Wednesday, not Thursday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/us/politics/jeb-bush-returns-to-fray-and-finds-going-rough.html?_r=0

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #263 on: September 29, 2014, 04:31:48 PM »
Christie ramps up 2016 push
By Peter Schroeder

With a bridge scandal potentially behind him, Chris Christie is taking a now-clear road to help fellow Republicans — and himself — on the campaign trail.

As head of the Republican Governors Association (RGA), Christie is ramping up his support for Republican governors nationwide, trying to regain ground ahead of the 2016 race for the White House.

Between his dual role as head of GOP governors and the state of New Jersey, Christie has not been an infrequent traveler. But with just over a month until Election Day, he is hitting a new gear, hoping to put miles between him and the bridge scandal that derailed his political hopes at the beginning of the year.
In June, Christie made five trips to four different states on behalf of the RGA, with a repeat swing through Pennsylvania. But by September, his itinerary had more than doubled, as he will visit a dozen more states by the end of the month.

The frequent travel isn’t just limited to governor’s races — it allows Christie to stump for top GOP Senate candidates and also gives him ample opportunity to regain a position as a GOP presidential front-runner. And it shows that Republicans in close races are not shying away from him as a surrogate and fundraiser.

Christie has spent much of his time working on behalf of fellow GOP governors, but he has also tried to use his influence in several contested Senate races as well. He has spent time in New Hampshire campaigning on Scott Brown’s behalf, and has also spent time in North Carolina and Michigan working on the behalf of Thom Tillis and Terri Lynn Land, respectively.

“He’s shedding pounds and racking up frequent flier miles,” said GOP strategist Ford O’Connell. “His focus has been on running for the nomination.”

In those travels, Christie is hitting up a broad variety of locales that could help bolster a 2016 bid. Appearing several times on his itinerary in the last few months are early primary states like New Hampshire, Iowa and South Carolina.

But Christie, who would be a formidable general election candidate thanks to his ability to win over moderates and some Democrats, is also repeatedly visiting presidential swing states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan.

And all along the way, Christie is lending his support and fundraising prowess to a host of GOP heavyweights who could prove useful in two years.

“Part of the case he will have to make when he runs for president is the record the RGA has in this cycle,” said Matt Mackowiak, a Texas-based Republican strategist.

The map for GOP governors is a tough one in 2014. And Republicans are playing defense in many of those races. Of the 27 governors races happening nationwide, 16 are held by Republicans. Democrats are expected to pick up a spot in Pennsylvania by ousting Gov. Tom Corbett, who has fallen well behind in the polls. And eight Republican governors are fending off challengers in races considered “toss ups” by Real Clear Politics, compared to six for Democrats. A solid run by Republicans could lead to GOP gains among governors in 2014, but it’s looking just as likely, if not moreso, that the party could lose top state spots come November.

Christie’s travel with the RGA has allowed him to cast a broad net and put himself in front of a host of GOP voters. In addition to swing states and early primary states, Christie has also spent time in very conservative parts of the country, like Alabama and Arkansas, appearing before voters who might be wary of his blue-state roots.

The ramped-up travel schedule comes as signs emerge that Christie could be cleared in a traffic jam scandal that upended his early momentum as a presidential pick. A New York NBC affiliate reported earlier this month that a federal probe into the politically motivated closure of the George Washington Bridge had found no signs Christie knew about it, although that probe is still ongoing.

That scandal threw Christie off the front-runner track when it first emerged, but the lack of evidence pointing to his knowledge is giving him some distance from that event. Christie has always professed his ignorance of the traffic jam created as political retribution, blaming the event on former staff.

As Christie continues to travel, he also is able to lean on his fundraising prowess as proof he is a strong 2016 candidate. Under his leadership, the RGA has broken fundraising records, bringing in more than $75 million. And that haul is all the more impressive given that most of the attention, and dollars, have been spent on the GOP bid to take over the Senate.

“The RGA credential does matter for you because you get to travel a lot and raise money, but what matters more is the record you had when you were there,” said Mackowiak. “So far, from what I can tell, Christie’s been pretty active and pretty successful.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/219076-christie-ramps-up-2016-push

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #264 on: September 29, 2014, 05:04:57 PM »
Boo Hoo.  Even Fox doesn't think he will win.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/09/28/fox-news-host-tells-tea-party-darling-ben-carson-president.html

During the most recent broadcast of Fox News Sunday, host Chris Wallace spoke to neurosurgeon Ben Carson about Carson’s possible Presidential run in 2016. Wallace had to break it to Carson that he really doesn’t have any shot at winning in 2016. Wallace also highlighted Carson’s complete lack of experience in the political world as a huge negative if he were to go through with a White House run in 2016.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #265 on: September 29, 2014, 05:24:13 PM »
I watched the interview.  Good interview.  That wasn't "Fox" saying he cannot win.  It was Chris Wallace asking a good, accurate question.  If Dr. Carson runs he will absolutely be a long-shot. 

But I don't think the lack of political experience is a negative. 

Was sort of a breath of fresh air to listen to a smart, honest person talk about the state of the country and where we need to be, rather than some political hack. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #266 on: September 29, 2014, 05:25:04 PM »
Christie ramps up 2016 push
By Peter Schroeder

If at first you don't succeed...

Well, Christie is a lot like RINOs mccain and romney.   HUGE liberal history.  

RINOs haven't been winning lately.  Repubs choose Christie, and it's president hilary or warren.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #267 on: October 07, 2014, 08:42:57 PM »
Here's How Mitt Romney Could Become a Contender in 2016
National Journal
Rebecca Nelson

While the "will he or won't he" chatter of a third Mitt Romney presidential run balloons, the former Massachusetts governor and two-time candidate may be priming himself for a rare opportunity to get back in the game. And, at least according to some people close to the former candidate, that could come in a highly unusual way.

Though no Republicans have yet announced their candidacies, the field of potentials is already crowded. And aside from a few exceptions—former Pennsylvania Gov. Rick Santorum and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee among them—the possible 2016ers would be running on the national stage for the first time.

The GOP's election veteran hasn't completely ruled out running again. Last month, Romney toldThe New York Times Magazine, "We'll see what happens." Taken alone, that's not much to draw conclusions on. The ambivalence is a decidedly altered position, though, from his rhetoric since 2012, which can be summed up as a resolute "Never again." Even as late as August, he told a crowd in Chicago that he was definitely not running.

It helps that Romney hasn't faded quietly into political history. A household name for better or worse, he's gone on the Sunday shows and stumped for fellow Republicans. In the last two years, as he's hosted policy conferences and raised money for vulnerable Republicans, his hold on a significant slice of the GOP establishment has not eased up. If the 2012 election had been held in July of this year, according to a CNN/ORC poll, Romney would have beat President Obama handily, 53 percent to 44 percent.

Romney concedes the election © Provided by National Journal Romney concedes the election
"Every day, wherever he goes, morning, noon, or night, people stop him, call him, beg him, scream at him, 'Please run,' " Ron Kaufman, a former senior adviser to Romney, told National Journal. "An awful lot of people in this country feel that Mitt Romney would be the best person to be president."

Hindsight is 20/20, of course, and the chance to beat Obama won't ever come again. But under a special set of circumstances, Romney's closest advisers see a window—albeit a small one—for the onetime GOP nominee to get in the race.

"I think he wants to be in a position where if everyone else implodes, he's the one that party leaders call to save the day," one former Romney adviser told National Journal.

For a man who guessed he'd be branded a "loser for life," an eager jump into the fray could be embarrassing. If he was courted, though, the ambitious politician could be swayed by a call to fulfill his patriotic duty.

At the Chicago event, Romney said there were "other good people in the party" thinking about running, and he told CBS's Bob Schieffer earlier this year that he'd be "supporting one of them very vigorously." He's had his turn, he's said, and should step aside for the new crop of GOP leaders. But if the field collapses, the Republican establishment could find him waiting in the wings.

"Could he be drafted? Could everyone from the party come and say, 'You have to run because you're the only person'? Is that possible? Sure," Kaufman said.

But the odds of this playing out are still extremely slim. Kaufman, who doubts Romney would wind up in such a position, points out that the last person to be grudgingly enlisted into a presidential campaign was Dwight Eisenhower. Unlike Romney, Eisenhower had never run for president before, and boasted a better track record for victory: He had recently helped win World War II as supreme commander of the Allied forces in Europe.

In other words, Romney swooping in to save a fractured party at the 2016 GOP nominating convention is not likely. But his supporters at least think that as an establishment favorite, Romney could play the hero if party upstarts and likely candidates Ted Cruz and Rand Paul crash and burn.

It all may hinge on whether another candidate who's popular with the establishment, such as former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, joins the field. In that case, Romney's unique position could be rendered null, closing his window. But the scattered clammering for a Romney candidacy could last all the way through the convention.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/heres-how-mitt-romney-could-become-a-contender-in-2016/ar-BB7SCOF

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #268 on: October 08, 2014, 05:03:15 AM »
Here's How Mitt Romney Could Become a Contender in 2016

LOL at this line in particular:
"Could he be drafted? Could everyone from the party come and say, 'You have to run because you're the only person'? Is that possible? Sure," Kaufman said.

Sorry, but the GOP wins, and wins big, when they have a president that INSPIRES people.  Mitt has all the resume in the world, but people don't like him, the base hates him, and he doesn't inspire.  He's the "default" flavor.  It was good enough to win nomination in 2012 when Cain was hiding 12 affairs, Bachman was hiding in bushes, Newt was hiding skittles, and Trump was playing hide the sausage with NBC, who pays him millions to make the GOP look bad.  Mitt won because he showed up.  But Mitt didn't have the star power to beat a weak-ass obama.

Mitt can't win, but repubs are just begging for a RINO with minimal damage, and after bridgegate, after showing his true colors (shady, weak, unlikable, blame his whole team, buck doesn't stop here), chris christie looks like shit. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #269 on: October 08, 2014, 09:19:08 AM »
It was good enough to win nomination in 2012 when Cain was hiding 12 affairs

I'm not going to ask you for a link or where you got this from, and just skip to the part where I call you a pathological liar. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #270 on: October 08, 2014, 09:28:15 AM »
I'm not going to ask you for a link or where you got this from, and just skip to the part where I call you a pathological liar. 

well, it was a dozen accusers, right?  He admitted the 11-year affair with the lesbian he was paying off. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #271 on: October 08, 2014, 09:35:16 AM »
well, it was a dozen accusers, right?  He admitted the 11-year affair with the lesbian he was paying off. 

You tell me, since you made the unqualified statement that "Cain was hiding 12 affairs"?  Why did you lie about this?

And when did he admit an 11-year affair with the lesbian he was paying off?  Are you lying yet again? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: October 10, 2014, 05:12:19 AM »
You tell me, since you made the unqualified statement that "Cain was hiding 12 affairs"?  Why did you lie about this?

And when did he admit an 11-year affair with the lesbian he was paying off?  Are you lying yet again?  

Cain admits paying her off for over a decade:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/guy-White.html

The statement released by his legal team said it was "

http://www.redstate.com/2011/11/28/herman-cains-attorney-basically-admits-affair/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #273 on: October 10, 2014, 08:07:15 AM »
Cain admits paying her off for over a decade:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/guy-White.html

The statement released by his legal team said it was "

http://www.redstate.com/2011/11/28/herman-cains-attorney-basically-admits-affair/

Good grief.  You still lying about this?   

I clicked the first link you posted and the headline is:  "Arise Dame Angelina! Hollywood royalty Jolie meets the real thing at Buckingham Palace to be awarded her honorary dame hood."  LOL!  I skimmed the rest of the page and saw nothing that says "Cain was hiding 12 affairs" as you claim. 

I clicked the second link and there is no admission by Cain that he had an 11-year affair with a lesbian he was paying off, as you claim. 

I've asked you this repeatedly, but why on earth do you repeatedly just flat out make stuff up?   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #274 on: October 10, 2014, 08:11:15 AM »
I doubt he will run as an independent and even if he did, he'd have no shot.  I've had a number of conversations with one of my very active Republican friends who is still all over the homosexual marriage issue and told him this is done already.  There isn't going to be some Constitutional amendment, the Supreme Court is punting, public opinion has changed.  It's over.   

Huckabee's Threat Could Damage GOP Chances for 2016
Thursday, 09 Oct 2014
By Todd Beamon

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee's threat to leave the Republican Party over the same-sex marriage issue could prove damaging to the GOP as it struggles to build a national strategy to win the White House in 2016, political observers told Newsmax on Thursday.

"Given the mood in the country, Mike Huckabee can do serious damage to the Republican nominee if he runs as a tea party independent against a mainstream republican nominee," said Democratic analyst and pollster Doug Schoen. "Best news Hillary Clinton has had all week."

Matt Towery, a GOP pollster and debate expert, said that Huckabee potentially bolting from the party would "be a huge issue for Republicans."

"They can ill-afford a very credible conservative leader shearing away any of their vote in the general election, if he were to get on the ballot in some of the states where that is an issue of significance," he said.

But Maggie Gallagher, senior fellow of the conservative American Principles Project, said that "many ordinary voters are going to be grateful" should Huckabee strike out on his own.

"He is the kind of man who speaks from the heart, not the pundits' polling playbook," she said. "For the last eight years, 'professional Republicans' in D.C. have urged GOP candidates to remain silent on some of the core moral issues of our time."

Bradley Blakeman, an adviser for former President George W. Bush, also welcomed a possible Huckabee departure — but for a different reason.

"If he wants to leave the party, I wish him good luck," he told Newsmax. "This party is about more than a person. It's about a lot of different ideas and principles — some of which, if you want to be a member, you don't aspire to and others that you do."

In an interview with the American Family Association on Tuesday, Huckabee charged that establishment Republicans had "abdicated" on gay marriage and other social issues, vowing that he might run for the White House in 2016 as an independent candidate.

"If the Republicans want to lose guys like me, and a whole bunch of still God-fearing, Bible-believing people, go ahead and just abdicate on this issue — and go ahead and say abortion doesn't matter, either," he said. "Because at that point, you lose me, I'm gone."

Huckabee was interviewed on AFA's "Today's Issues" radio show by Tim Wildmon, the association's president, and Ed Vitigliano, the association’s research director.

"I'll become an independent," the former governor continued. "I'll start finding people that have guts to stand. I'm tired of this."

He reiterated his position to Newsmax on Thursday.

"I don’t think the GOP is going to walk away from the entire body of values voters — but if so, then there would likely be no place for me as a voter or candidate," Huckabee said in an email. "I wouldn't be leaving them; they'd be leaving us."

The Supreme Court earlier this week refused to hear appeals from five states that sought to maintain their bans on gay marriage. The decision cleared the way for a broad expansion of same-sex marriage in as many as 30 states and the District of Columbia.
Special: The One Thing You Should Do for Your Prostate Every Morning

The states affected by the court's action on Monday were Wisconsin, Indiana, Oklahoma, Utah, and Virginia. Officials had appealed lower court rulings to keep their bans.

Huckabee, 59, is among many Republicans weighing a White House run. Clinton, the former secretary of state, has said she will announce early next year whether she will run on the Democratic ticket. Huckabee won the Iowa caucuses in 2008. He also hosts a Fox News program.

In sizing up a potential Huckabee defection, the political strategists told Newsmax that the former governor's outrage with his party on gay marriage flies in the face of attitudes among many Republicans and conservatives.

"It shows the difficulty the Republicans are in," Towery said. "Nationwide, the polling continues to show that the swing voters that the Republicans need to attract are voters who are far more willing to accept same-sex marriage and are changing their position on these matters."

According to a Gallup poll released in May, 55 percent of Americans now approve of same-sex marriage, the highest level ever. That compared with 68 percent who opposed gay marriage in 1996, when Gallup first surveyed Americans on the issue.

Among Republicans, 30 percent backed same-sex marriage in the May survey, versus 16 precent in 1996.

For conservatives, regardless of party affiliation, Gallup found 31 percent in favor in May, compared with only 14 percent in 1996.

"While Governor Huckabee probably would have a very strong following that is critical to a Republican victory, his position probably isn't in line with the direction the GOP needs to go in order to be competitive in years to come," Towery said.

Also citing the Gallup data, Blakeman observed, "This is hardly a liberal agenda."

"Republicans make a mistake when we get bogged down in social issues at the expense of what's really the root cause of America's woes, and that's the economy and national security," he said.

Blakeman now is a professor of public policy, politics, and international affairs at Georgetown University.

"Republicans have a choice: If they don't like same-sex marriage, then they will not marry of the same sex," he said. "Likewise with abortion: If you don't agree with abortion, I don't suppose that you will be getting one.

"The law is the law, and Roe v. Wade, the chance of it being overturned is slim to none," Blakeman said, referring to the landmark 1973 Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion.

"Huckabee can dig in his heels, but if being a Republican is only about same-sex marriage, then he's not much of a Republican," he added. "Being a Republican is much more than this."

Towery countered that Huckabee's credibility as an independent presidential candidate could affect Republicans the way Alabama Gov. George Wallace did in a close 1968 election that was won the next morning by former GOP Vice President Richard Nixon.

Nominated by the American Independent Party, Wallace ran on a segregationist platform that was spurned by the Democratic Party. He took five states, all in the Deep South, winning 13.5 percent of the popular vote, to Nixon's 43.4 percent.

The Democratic candidate, Vice President Hubert Humphrey, won 42.7 percent.

"Governor Huckabee would be a formidable independent candidate," Towery said. "Many feel that if Wallace had not been a candidate, that race would have easily gone to Nixon.

"A move by Huckabee, regardless of how one feels about this issue — whether it's a good idea, a bad idea, with him, or against him — from a sheer analytical standpoint, I see it as potentially having the same impact as George Wallace did in 1968."

http://www.Newsmax.com/Newsfront/mike-huckabee-republicans-president-impact/2014/10/09/id/599823/#ixzz3Fkrz7Bua