Author Topic: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates  (Read 180947 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates
« Reply #325 on: November 21, 2014, 10:45:07 AM »
Yes, intelligence is a qualification for any reasonable, objective voter.  And anyone (like you) who thinks Sheila Jackson Lee is more qualified than Marco Rubio has issues. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #326 on: November 21, 2014, 02:01:12 PM »
Anyone - like you - who thinks that Bachmann is qualified and (as you claimed) is "brilliant" lacks intelligence to determine who is or who isn't qualified by a long margin. 

My statement stands.  Crist does have more experience and qualifications than Rubio.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #327 on: November 21, 2014, 02:08:39 PM »
Yes, of course that's what you think.  Not the least bit surprised.  Keep in mind I was referring to the "reasonable, objective voter."  That excludes you. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #328 on: November 21, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »
Keep in mind I was referring to intelligence.  That excludes you.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #329 on: November 21, 2014, 02:49:02 PM »
 ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #330 on: November 24, 2014, 01:45:30 PM »
Rand Paul Shows Early Strength in New Hampshire Poll
Nov 24, 2014

The early numbers show the Republican primary field is wide open, with new faces ranking beside legacy names.

Republican Rand Paul is showing early strength for a possible 2016 presidential bid in the first primary state, where a Bloomberg Politics/Saint Anselm New Hampshire Poll shows him running slightly ahead of more established names.

When 2012 Republican nominee Mitt Romney is removed from the mix, the Kentucky senator and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie share the top spot, with each drawing 16 percent support from likely Republican primary voters. Romney, who has repeatedly said he has no plans to run for president a third time, leads the potential pack with 30 percent when included.

While Paul may be considered controversial among Republicans in Washington because of his ties to the party's Tea Party wing, New Hampshire Republicans don't see him that way. His favorable rating is the best of the potential 2016 Republican field, with 65 percent of likely primary voters viewing him positively and just 19 percent negatively. That’s on par with the state's Republican senator, Kelly Ayotte.

"Some of that is Rand Paul and a lot of it is Ron Paul."

Tom Rath, former New Hampshire attorney general

That appeal isn't lost on the competition. “I would think that Rand Paul would have significant appeal in New Hampshire because there is a very strong libertarian streak in our state,” said Terry Shumaker, a Democratic activist in Manchester.

By comparison, Christie is viewed favorably by just 50 percent of likely Republican primary voters, while a third view him unfavorably. The governor's unfavorable rating was the highest of any of the 10 potential Republican candidates tested in the poll.

That trepidation reflects an open question about a potential Christie candidacy: Whether his brash style will be accepted in Iowa and New Hampshire. He made national news last month when he told a constituent who was critical of New Jersey's response to mega-storm Sandy to “sit down and shut up.”

“It's that aspect of the persona that has given people some pause,” said Tom Rath, a former New Hampshire attorney general and longtime primary watcher who supported Romney in 2012. “It's an issue you hear come up with people.”

Romney won New Hampshire's primary four years ago. His popularity—in part fueled by his history as governor of neighboring Massachusetts—is still strong in the state.

With Romney removed from the list of potential candidates, former Florida Governor Jeb Bush has the next highest level of support at 14 percent, followed by neurosurgeon-turned-conservative-activist Ben Carson at 9 percent. While known by just 39 percent of Republican primary voters, Carson is for now competitive with better-known names. The retired doctor registered higher than the 8 percent received by former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, 7 percent for 2012 Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan, 5 percent for Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, 4 percent for Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal and 3 percent for Texas Governor Rick Perry.

The poll was conducted by Washington-based Purple Insights Nov. 12-18 and included 407 likely Republican primary voters. The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

New Hampshire and Iowa are politically, geographically and economically different states, yet Republicans in both places seem to be sorting out the still-emerging field in similar ways. A Bloomberg Politics/Des Moines Register Iowa Poll of likely 2016 Republican caucusgoers conducted in October also showed Paul and Carson with early strength in the state that hosts the first nomination balloting. In that survey, Carson received 11 percent and Paul 10 percent in what is still a mostly undefined field of potential candidates.

“Some of that is Rand Paul and a lot of it is Ron Paul,” said Rath, noting that Paul's father in 2012 finished second in both Iowa and New Hampshire. “He inherits a substantial block of voters from his father.”

The early polling is certain to change in the coming months, as local coverage of the primary is added to the mix of what has been mostly national coverage. Rath said that the “center-right” part of the potential candidate lineup, a group where he places Bush, is still unformed. “Until you get a decision, yes or no, his numbers don't really mean much,” he said.

Paul has already visited New Hampshire three times this year, while Christie has been there four times. “One of the advantages that both Christie and Rand Paul already have is that they are already running,” said Neil Levesque, executive director of the New Hampshire Institute of Politics at Saint Anselm College. “They are here, they are hiring staff and they are moving around the state.”

New Hampshire primary voters say they are much more likely to pick a candidate who closely aligns with their views on issues over someone who has the best chance of winning the presidency in a general election. On that question, 77 percent say issues are more important to them than winning.

In hypothetical 2016 match-ups, Hillary Clinton would have the potential to draw even some Republican primary voters. Against Jeb Bush, she attracts 11 percent of the Republican primary vote and against Paul she attracts 12 percent.

—Annie Linskey and Lisa Lerer contributed to this report.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2014-11-24/rand-paul-shows-early-strength-in-bloomberg-politicssaint-anselm-new-hampshire-poll?hootPostID=1b974cab71c3f6bb12ccc98c69c868cf

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #331 on: November 24, 2014, 02:06:10 PM »
Ben Carson: I'm Going To Make A Decision About Running For President By May 1st

On Sunday's broadcast of ABC's This Week, there was a consensus moment between former President Bush's chief re-election strategist Matthew Dowd and Katrina vanden Heuvel, publisher of the liberal magazine The Nation: Dr. Ben Carson should run for president.

Carson, also a guest on the Sunday show, said he will make his decision to run for president by first of May.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS, THIS WEEK: Jim Webb is already looking. Dr. Carson, as James [Carville] said, you're looking at the possibility of running for president. Closer to a decision?

DR. BEN CARSON: Every day I would get closer because I'm going to make a decision by May the 1st.

STEPHANOPOULOS: By May. You have a little bit of time. Make the 30-second case against Hillary

CARSON: Well, I don't want to make it specifically about Hillary. I want to make it about those who want the United States to be a country where the government conforms to the will of the people versus those who want the people to conform to the will of the government and that's the big divide that we have right now.

That's what the people are talking about. That's what they talked about a couple of weeks ago in the election. They are saying isn't this our country? Isn't it for, of and by the people? This is what we need to be talking about. I don't care if it's a Democrat or Republican. That's who needs to be up front.

MATTHEW DOWD, FMR. BUSH STRATEGIST: I hope Dr. Carson runs because I think we'd be behooved in this country by anybody participating in the process and part of the problem is people have stepped back -- good people have stepped back -- that are smart at this process and haven't tried to serve and I think it would be benefit whether or not I agree with you on the issues.

I think the interesting thing about the Republican party is, they would be benefited by an outsider coming in, whether it's somebody like Dr. Carson or a governor outside of Washington, D.C. The thing about the Republican party, everybody says they're going to nominate the most conservative figure in the party. They're not. They never do. They haven't since Goldwater in 1964. They nominate the person whose most electable and satisfies conservatives.

KATRINA VANDEN HEUVEL, THE NATION: I hope Dr. Carson runs. I think -- I agree with Matt. An anti-establishment candidate, however, I think you're way overreading the results of that election. When you look at the issues that won around this country and that map was very conservative, it was an older, more affluent whiter crowd, it wasn't the emerging majority, young people minorities, single women and I think you see a country that is waiting for something different. They want a government that works for them. They don't want a rigged system that works for the corporations or the very wealthy and they want to be part of a recovery that they hear a lot about, but they don't feel they're part of.

CARSON: I don't think it's overread at all because I'm in four or five states a week. I've been for the last year and a half, and I predicted a long time ago what the results of the election would be because I'm hearing what the people are saying.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/11/23/ben_carson_im_going_to_make_a_decision_about_running_for_president_by_may_1st.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #332 on: November 25, 2014, 08:41:08 AM »
Bloomberg/Saint Anselm Poll: Romney Leads GOP Field for 2016
Monday, 24 Nov 2014
By Cathy Burke

Former Massachusetts governor and two-time presidential contender Mitt Romney leads the Republican field of potential White House candidates by a double-digit margin in early-primary state New Hampshire – snagging the support of 30 percent of voters, a new poll showed Monday.

According to the Bloomberg Politics/Saint Anselm survey, Romney leads all other possible GOP contenders by nearly 20 points, with Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul coming in second, at 11 percent, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie sits in third at 9 percent and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush fourth at 8 percent. Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, Romney's running mate in 2016, is tied for sixth with 5 percent of the vote.

The margin of error was plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

Despite Romney's frequent denials of 2016 presidential ambitions, the poll shows there's still plenty of interest in the Granite State, where Romney won the 2012 New Hampshire primary.

When Romney's name is off the potential list of GOP possibles, Paul and Christie share the lead at 16 percent, with Bush in third at 14 percent and Dr. Ben Carson, a retired Detroit neurosurgeon, in fourth at 9 percent.

Carson polled higher than the 8 percent received by former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, 7 percent for 2012 Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan, 5 percent for Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, 4 percent for Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal and 3 percent for Texas Governor Rick Perry.

"Some of that is Rand Paul and a lot of it is Ron Paul," Tom Rath, former New Hampshire attorney general, told Bloomberg News.

Paul's father, Ron Paul, finished second in the 2012 New Hampshire primary.

"He inherits a substantial block of voters from his father," Rath said.

On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton leads all potential candidates by a mile. At 62 percent, the former secretary of State has a 46-point edge on Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who received 16 percent of the vote, the survey showed.

Vermont Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders is third at 6 percent, with Vice President Joe Biden comes in fourth with 5 percent.

When asked their pick in a hypothetical general election, Clinton also leads potential Republican candidates — but is only ahead of Romney by 1 percentage point, 46 percent to 45 percent, the survey showed.

The National Journal notes Romney's not likely to run.

But if "everyone else implodes," one former adviser told the outlet in October, Romney could be lined up to save the election for the party.

"As an establishment favorite, he could be drafted to unite the GOP should the others crash and burn," National Journal speculates.

http://www.Newsmax.com/Politics/mitt-romney-republicans-president-poll/2014/11/24/id/609363/#ixzz3K6DKcmRl

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #333 on: November 25, 2014, 09:32:38 AM »
Bloomberg/Saint Anselm Poll: Romney Leads GOP Field for 2016
Monday, 24 Nov 2014
B0y Cathy Burke

Former Massachusetts governor and two-time presidential contender Mitt Romney leads the Republican field of potential White House candidates by a double-digit margin in early-primary state New Hampshire – snagging the support of 30 percent of voters, a new poll showed Monday.

According to the Bloomberg Politics/Saint Anselm survey, Romney leads all other possible GOP contenders by nearly 20 points, with Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul coming in second, at 11 percent, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie sits in third at 9 percent and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush fourth at 8 percent. Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, Romney's running mate in 2016, is tied for sixth with 5 percent of the vote.

The margin of error was plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

Despite Romney's frequent denials of 2016 presidential ambitions, the poll shows there's still plenty of interest in the Granite State, where Romney won the 2012 New Hampshire primary.

When Romney's name is off the potential list of GOP possibles, Paul and Christie share the lead at 16 percent, with Bush in third at 14 percent and Dr. Ben Carson, a retired Detroit neurosurgeon, in fourth at 9 percent.

Carson polled higher than the 8 percent received by former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, 7 percent for 2012 Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan, 5 percent for Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, 4 percent for Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal and 3 percent for Texas Governor Rick Perry.

"Some of that is Rand Paul and a lot of it is Ron Paul," Tom Rath, former New Hampshire attorney general, told Bloomberg News.

Paul's father, Ron Paul, finished second in the 2012 New Hampshire primary.

"He inherits a substantial block of voters from his father," Rath said.

On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton leads all potential candidates by a mile. At 62 percent, the former secretary of State has a 46-point edge on Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who received 16 percent of the vote, the survey showed.

Vermont Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders is third at 6 percent, with Vice President Joe Biden comes in fourth with 5 percent.

When asked their pick in a hypothetical general election, Clinton also leads potential Republican candidates — but is only ahead of Romney by 1 percentage point, 46 percent to 45 percent, the survey showed.

The National Journal notes Romney's not likely to run.

But if "everyone else implodes," one former adviser told the outlet in October, Romney could be lined up to save the election for the party.

"As an establishment favorite, he could be drafted to unite the GOP should the others crash and burn," National Journal speculates.

http://www.Newsmax.com/Politics/mitt-romney-republicans-president-poll/2014/11/24/id/609363/#ixzz3K6DKcmRl

This poll shows that 70% of republicans do NOT want the biggest name of the GOP.  Romney almost won in 2008, he did win in 2012.  He has a presidential face, a business mind, and he was plowed by a beatable obama after leading obama in polls after debate #1.

SEVENTY PERCENT of republicans don't want this guy.   It'll be 2012 all over again - only without the stigma of "let's get rid of obama". 

And of course, romney/gruber will come to light ;)   Spend a month demonizing gruber then a year dismissing he and romney playing footsie on romneycare.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #334 on: November 26, 2014, 12:57:49 PM »
Couldn't win a senate election, still owes her last campaign $500,000, but thinks she can win a presidential election??  What is she smoking?

Carly Fiorina May Test Her Luck as GOP 2016 Hopeful
Wednesday, 26 Nov 2014
By Elliot Jager

Former Hewlett-Packard chief executive Carly Fiorina is actively pursuing a possible 2016 presidential run, The Washington Post reported.

Fiorina is the only woman and the only possible candidate in the Republican field who has never held elective office — though she did try for a U.S. Senate seat in California.

Her Unlocking Potential PAC has pulled together $1.7 million from a few donors.

Political consultant Frank Sadler, who worked for Koch Industries, is advising her. She has been meeting with contributors, searching for campaign workers, and visiting presidential battleground states.

She said on NBC's "Meet the Press" that "When people keep asking you over and over again," about running for president "you have to pause and reflect. So I'll pause and reflect at the right time," the Post reported.

Among her upcoming appearances are speeches to the Iowa Freedom Summit in January and the Conservative Political Action Conference in February.

GOP political strategist David Carney says Fiorina, 60, is the kind of free-market advocate who could counter the arguments of left-leaning Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, according to the Post.

Fiorina also has her critics within the party, who say she is overrated and not at all presidential material.

Some Republican operatives are bitter over the $500,000 she still owes to staffers from her unsuccessful 2010 Senate bid. Others point to her forced resignation from Hewlett-Packard when the company merged with Compaq. Even those who say she has potential acknowledge that she does not have an obvious constituency within the Republican base, the Post reported.

Al Cardenas, a former chairman of the American Conservative Union, said "There will always be professionals out there looking to land the golden nugget of politics, which is a presidential campaign, and they'll be whispering sweet nothings in your ear, but you've got to come up with that $20 million or $30 million."

He added, "By virtue of the fact that she's a credible national figure and the only woman candidate out of 19, she should get her due attention at the outset," according to the Post.

http://www.Newsmax.com/Politics/GOP-presidency-candidates-2016/2014/11/26/id/609657/#ixzz3KD5mR4PC

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #335 on: November 26, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
Couldn't win a senate election, still owes her last campaign $500,000, but thinks she can win a presidential election??  What is she smoking?

Carly Fiorina May Test Her Luck as GOP 2016 Hopeful

In a world where Sarah Palin is still the 6th most popular choice for GOP nomination, and the #1 woman for president not named Hilary...  A highly intelligent Fiorina could certainly be a legit candidate.  And she's worth 80 million approx, which always helps.   She's probably smarter (experience + IQ + business acumen) than just about any other person that will be in the race, except a jeb or romney.   Fiorina is light years ahead of a Rubio, and only a RINO would disagree with that.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poll-sarah-palin-tops-list-of-women-americans-want-to-run-for-president/article/2546376

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #336 on: December 01, 2014, 08:22:15 AM »
In a world where Sarah Palin is still the 6th most popular choice for GOP nomination, and the #1 woman for president not named Hilary...  A highly intelligent Fiorina could certainly be a legit candidate.  And she's worth 80 million approx, which always helps.   She's probably smarter (experience + IQ + business acumen) than just about any other person that will be in the race, except a jeb or romney.   Fiorina is light years ahead of a Rubio, and only a RINO would disagree with that.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poll-sarah-palin-tops-list-of-women-americans-want-to-run-for-president/article/2546376

lol

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #337 on: December 01, 2014, 08:25:34 AM »
GOP govs starting to strut their stuff for 2016
Associated Press By JILL COLVIN and STEVE PEOPLES

BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) — A half-dozen potential Republican presidential contenders spent last week peacocking across the sprawling grounds of a pink-hued luxury resort, schmoozing with donors and sizing up the competition in the party's most fractured field in decades.

They rarely criticized each other in public, but there were subtle jabs.

Within hours of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie gracing the cover of a magazine in an illustration of him kissing a baby's head, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal suggested the party needs bold leaders, not showmen.

"We have enough politicians who try to be celebrities and kiss babies and cut ribbons," Jindal said.

Whether it was an intentional shot at Christie or not, the looming 2016 contest changed the context of every speech, interview and panel discussion at the Republican Governors Association's annual conference. The summit at the oceanside Boca Raton Resort & Club felt like a test run for what is increasingly shaping up to be a brutal showdown for the GOP presidential nomination among more than a dozen potential contenders, including a cluster of governors.

In contrast, Hillary Rodham Clinton has spent recent weeks basking in the glows of grandmotherhood and applause at a few public events — without any major challenger for the Democratic nod, should she choose to pursue it.

While the potential GOP field appears stronger than four years ago, the Republicans are without a front-runner.

"There are, like, 16 people who could run," said former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, who downplayed the potential risk of so many candidates at each other's throats. "They won't all run, of course, but a lot of quality in there."

The candidates aren't expected to start formally declaring their intentions until the first quarter of next year. But the developing tensions were already apparent as five potential candidates appeared together on stage in a packed, grand ballroom to answering questions from moderator Chuck Todd, the host of NBC's "Meet The Press" — a dress rehearsal of sorts for the looming primary.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich, a former congressman, repeatedly crossed words with Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, challenging Walker's telling of the history of the Bill Clinton administration. On another panel, Walker mentioned that he'd been in high school at a time when Kasich had voted on a piece of immigration legislation.

"Well, you don't look that much younger," Kasich quipped.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry left little doubt that the race is on.

"I think the campaign has engaged. We're talking about issues here that are going to affect the presidential election in 2016," Perry said. "I think we need to have this conversation with America."

The governors who would be president agreed on one thing: their superiority as candidates over their nongubernatorial competition. Those in attendance repeatedly stressed that the party's best hope for reclaiming the White House lies with a chief executive at the top of the ticket.

But they dismissed the idea of any kind of advance pact to ensure they don't inflict too much damage during the primary.

"Um, no, no pacts, at least none that I'm involved in," said Christie, joking that he'd be closely watching Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, another potential contender, to make sure he wasn't forging any deals.

Behind the scenes, however, that's exactly what the contenders were aiming for.

Dozens of the party's biggest donors enjoyed private audiences with prospective candidates. They mingled in hotel corridors, at fancy dinners, on a nearby golf course where basketball great Michael Jordan was spotted, and at fetes, like an oceanside reception decorated with twinkling lights, a clam cake station and ice sculptures.

The guest list included Republican heavy hitters like Paul Singer, Anthony Scaramucci and Foster Friess.

Christie, who arrived with what appeared to be his entire senior team, said he was enjoying spending time with donors "in an atmosphere that's a lot more relaxed, like this one this week."

Indeed, one top consultant who has served as senior adviser on numerous campaigns was spotted walking through the lobby in his bathing suit on the way to the pool between meetings. And at all times, lobbyists from companies like Google hovered, slipping business cards to governors and aides, who left one speed dating-style session with pockets bursting.

Still, the presidential undertones were more subtle at times than in annual retreats of years past when prospective candidates like Mitt Romney, John McCain and Rudy Giuliani held private meetings to craft campaign strategy with key supporters.

"In prior election cycles, the RGA postelection meeting has been the kicking off point for presidential campaigns," said GOP operative Charlie Spies, who led Romney's super PAC in 2012, echoing several other longtime attendees. "This year's event was more low-key."

The event was "not about asking. This is about thanking and congratulating," said longtime Republican adviser and money man Fred Malek. "Part of it also is inspiration so that people will have their mind set on moving ahead in the next cycle."

https://news.yahoo.com/beginning-look-lot-2016-gop-govs-141418047--election.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #338 on: December 02, 2014, 10:56:24 AM »
Good article that talks about the big money donors who will play a major role in selecting the nominee. 

Rick Perry ramps up for 2016
Texas governor invites GOP donors to December sessions to discuss 2016.
By KENNETH P. VOGEL 11/28/14

Texas Gov. Rick Perry is inviting hundreds of prominent Republican donors and policy experts to a series of gatherings next month that are intended to rebuild his damaged national brand and lay the foundation for a potential 2016 presidential campaign, fundraisers and organizers confirmed to POLITICO.

The small-group sessions kick off Tuesday and Wednesday in Austin with a pair of lunches and dinners held in the governor’s mansion wedged between policy briefings at the nearby office of Perry senior adviser Jeff Miller. In all, Perry’s team expects he will meet in person with more than 500 major donors and bundlers from around the country in December as well as a slew of operatives, Republican National Committee members and policy experts.

Perry’s intensive month of foundation-building comes as other prospective Republican presidential candidates — notably former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz — are engaging with the wealthy Texans who for years have been among the GOP’s most significant sources of cash. As the heir to a political dynasty with deep Texas ties, Bush in particular could seriously cut into Perry’s financial base. Bush over the last few months has met with major Texas donors.

Perry has long enjoyed support from Texas’s biggest wallets for his state campaigns, but some of the donors remain skeptical of his presidential viability as a result of his bumbling 2012 run, during which some abandoned him in favor of eventual nominee Mitt Romney.

Perry had entered the race to much fanfare as the most formidable GOP foe to Romney. But his debate performances induced cringes, his anti-establishment tough talk prompted grumbles in the business community and he had only limited success expanding his fundraising base beyond Texas. When he dropped out not long after finishing fifth in the Iowa caucuses, Perry further alienated his party’s business wing by snubbing Romney and backing the long-shot rival campaign of Newt Gingrich.

While some in the party wonder if his star dimmed even further this summer when he was indicted on public corruption charges, Perry has nonetheless tried to remake his public image over the past year. In a series of high-profile interviews, the governor, sporting trendy new glasses that give him a more studious look, has admitted that he bungled 2012. He’s said the experience “humbled” him, and admitted he erred by jumping into the race without sufficient preparation and just six weeks after back surgery that left him in pain and unable to sleep.

Things would be different if he ran again, say sources who have interacted with the three-term governor, who is leaving the office after having held it longer than any other person in Texas history. They describe his health as “tip-top” and his policy expertise as light years ahead of where it was in the last presidential cycle — all of which he intends to highlight in his December donor meetings.

“If Gov. Perry is going to run, he’s going to be better prepared, and he’s going to have the resources necessary to compete,” said Henry Barbour, a Republican national committeeman who is helping plan for a Perry 2016 campaign and organizing next week’s donor sessions.

After next week, there will be an additional four or five sessions throughout the month, as well as an array of briefings held at Miller’s office with policy experts from leading conservative think tanks, such as the American Enterprise Institute and the Hoover Institution, according to those familiar with the planning.

The sources said Perry has been receiving twice-a-week briefings on different policy areas for months, including one on health care this past week in Austin featuring leading Obamacare critic Avik Roy of the Manhattan Institute. Perry also has been briefed —both in Austin and over the phone — by Lanhee Chen, the highly regarded policy director for Romney’s 2012 campaign, who authored a 172-page job-creation outline for Romney and likely would have played a leading role in a Romney White House.

Miller — who has overseen Perry’s post-2012 reemergence, and who many expect would run a Perry presidential campaign — added that full preparation means “not just on policy, but also with the necessary relationships in both the early states and with major donors around the country.”

Several major donors and bundlers who supported Perry’s last White House run — including some who have been invited to the Austin sessions — were cautious or even skeptical when asked this week if they’d back a Perry 2016 campaign.

“I’m a huge fan of Gov. Perry’s and would do whatever I could to help, but other stars have emerged in the party, and I want to hear what they have to say,” said Matt Keelen, a GOP lobbyist who rallied Capitol Hill support for Perry’s 2012 campaign. Keelen specifically cited Sens. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Marco Rubio of Florida as intriguing presidential prospects.

Fort Worth investor and GOP bundler Hal Lambert supported Perry in 2012. He described the governor as “very good at working crowds and talking to people, but he’s really going to have to pick it up on the debate side. Those debates really ruined his chances last time.” While he said he wasn’t ready to commit to Perry — or anyone else — in 2016, Lambert said he’ll bring an open mind when he attends a dinner with Perry at the governor’s mansion on Dec. 17.

“I’d need to hear what the overall strategy would be for victory,” he said.

A Washington lobbyist who supported Perry last time but has since cooled on him was more blunt, asserting that Perry “ran a crummy campaign in 2012” and hasn’t demonstrated that he’s figured out how to do things differently. Donors also are concerned about the unresolved corruption indictment hanging over Perry’s head, said the lobbyist. Perry has adamantly asserted his innocence in that case, and many across the political spectrum have rallied to his defense, calling the prosecution a witch hunt.

“None of the D.C. lobbyist crowd who were supporting Perry in 2012 are planning to support him this cycle,” said the lobbyist, who is considering supporting Govs. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana or Scott Walker of Wisconsin should either run in 2016. “He is a good guy, but Perry’s time has passed.”

One prominent GOP bundler who was invited to Austin for one of the Perry sessions in December said, “I admire Perry, but my first commitment is to Jeb Bush and until Jeb makes up his mind, I and a lot of other folks in the Bush extended family are kind of frozen.” If Bush doesn’t run, the bundler said, “I think it’ll be time for a new generation.”

Some major bundlers for George W. Bush’s presidential campaigns — including Wayne Berman and Dirk Van Dongen — have been supportive of Rubio. But the Florida senator, who has not said whether he’s going to run, could face a difficult financial path if Bush ran, since the fellow Floridian has deeper ties to many of Rubio’s home-state benefactors, as well as the Bush family’s vaunted national money network.

Perry’s Texas network overlaps slightly with the Bush network. But there’s also been tension between the camps, stemming partly from the Bush crew’s support for then-Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, a longtime Bush family ally, in her unsuccessful challenge to Perry in the 2010 Texas GOP gubernatorial primary.

A GOP fundraiser who has worked with Texas donors said some of the richest among them have been meeting with Jeb Bush in Texas, and that his brother, the former president — and former Texas governor — George W. Bush has been talking up Jeb to rich Texans. “Perry is responding to that, and a lot of these donors are caught in the middle,” the fundraiser said of Perry’s Austin meetings.

Lambert, however, said Jeb Bush’s primary reason for visiting Texas was supporting the successful campaign of his son, George P. Bush, for Texas land commissioner.

“I don’t think it’s necessarily been about meeting donors. He’s not going to have any problem there,” said Lambert, who conceded that Texas donors could have divided loyalties in 2016.

“Ted Cruz could compete as well,” Lambert said of the junior senator from Texas. Cruz is a favorite of the conservative grass roots, but he has struggled to win over GOP establishment donors, who view him as an impractical ideologue.

“There will definitely be a difference in the donor base, but I think he’s right in the mix,” said Lambert, who praised Cruz and added, “It will be a tough decision.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11/rick-perry-2016-campaign-113210.html#ixzz3Klgh7caD

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #339 on: December 02, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
Ben Carson: Political phenomenon
By Mark Preston, CNN
Tue December 2, 2014

Washington (CNN) -- It was 1965 and Ben Carson, an eighth-grade black student in Detroit, was stunned.

Unable to control her anger, his teacher lashed out at white students for failing to outperform Carson, who had just been awarded the class's highest academic achievement. In an interview last week, Carson described the teacher as being from a time when some people thought "how can a black person ever intellectually do better than a white person?"

"To her, it was the most abnormal thing that ever happened in the history of the world," Carson said. "To me, I was determined I would show her."

Nearly 50 years later, Carson -- relatively unknown outside of conservative circles -- is on the verge of becoming a political phenomenon. He placed second behind Mitt Romney in a CNN/ORC poll released Tuesday asking Republicans about their preferred presidential nominee in 2016. Though his support only reached 10% in the poll, Carson outpaced more high-profile potential presidential contenders like former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

He's gaining traction as an African-American in a party that is struggling to connect with minority communities. But Carson is remarkably checked when asked about how, to this day, he deals with racism.

"If somebody has a problem with the way that I look, more power to them," Carson said. "Let them sit and stew in it. I just got so many more important things to do than to deal with that."

That doesn't mean he's silent on the racial issues of the day. After last week's violence in Ferguson, Missouri, Carson slammed President Barack Obama for contributing to poor race relations.

"I actually believe that things were better before this president was elected," he told radio broadcaster Hugh Hewitt. "And I think that things have gotten worse because of his unusual emphasis on race."

He's offered provocative commentary on a wide range of other issues, telling FOX News in May that the Veterans Affairs scandal was a "gift from God to show us what happens when you take layers and layers of bureaucracy and place them between the patients and the health care provider."

In a March interviewt with Breitbart, he compared the modern American government to Nazi Germany.

And at the 2013 Values Voters Summit, Carson said Obamacare is "the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery."

The 'PC police'
For Carson, abandoning political correctness is a central element of his persona -- and something that's winning fans in the GOP base. Carson recently appeared at an event for the Family Leader, an influential social conservative organization in Iowa.

"He was very well received, and enthusiastically well received," said Bob Vander Plaats, president and CEO of the organization, who noted Carson spoke to 900 attendees about pressing domestic concerns including cultural issues, foreign policy, and his disdain for political correctness.

"It is like a breath of fresh air when he talks about not being politically correct and how he won't be controlled by the 'PC police' and he will say what needs to be said," Vander Plaats said. "That message really resonated."

Carson is well known in the medical community -- he's a celebrated pediatric neurosurgeon -- and Cuba Gooding, Jr. played him in the 2009 made-for-television movie: "Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story." But his remarks at the National Prayer Breakfast in February 2013 catapulted him onto the national political stage.
With Obama sitting just a few feet away, Carson warned that the U.S. was heading down the same path as Rome.

"Moral decay, fiscal irresponsibility," Carson said during his speech. "They destroyed themselves. If you don't think that can happen to America, you get out your books and you start reading."

Carson said 15 minutes after his remarks, organizers of the Prayer Breakfast called him and said the White House was "upset and that I needed to call and apologize. I said, 'I spoke to the president after the Prayer Breakfast and he was quite cordial and didn't seem upset. I don't see why he would be upset, unless what I said applied to him.'"

His speech was embraced by GOP activists and radio talk show hosts. Carson became an instant political celebrity for conservatives.

"I expected a reaction, but I didn't expect it to be that profound, quite frankly," Carson said of his remarks at the Prayer Breakfast. "Obviously, it touched a chord with millions of people and I thought it would die down after a while, but instead of dying down it continued to build."

Karen Finney, a Democratic strategist, said that Carson is "certainly someone to be taken seriously," in the GOP primary, but added that this does not necessarily transfer to the general election. "In terms of appeal in a general election, there are comments he has made that can come back to haunt him," she said.

Carson dismisses those who criticize him for his remarks, and said they are just blowing them out of proportion. Yet, Carson does acknowledge that he is trying to make a point when he speaks on the issues of the day.

"I try to talk about what I actually see that's going on and this is what we need in America," he said. "We need people who are not afraid to express themselves and who are not afraid to debate issues."

Cornell William Brooks, president of the NAACP, said he admires Carson as a surgeon and noted his son was inspired by one of Carson's books to become a thoracic surgeon. But in terms of race relations, the two men are not on the same page.

"He is an extraordinary surgeon, extraordinarily passionate human being," Brooks said. "But I disagree with the personalization of a set of policies that have been harmful, not only to African-Americans, but the country as a whole with any particular party. ... Dr. Carson stands like a giant in the operating room, but in the civil rights arena we would love to have more conversation with him about our positions."

From poverty to the operating room
Raised by a single mother with a third grade education, Carson rose from poverty and racial division to achieve success. Carson's mother left his bigamist father when he was eight years old and, despite her inability to read, forced him and his brother to spend their days with books and focusing on their schoolwork.

Carson struggled in his early elementary school years. At 10, though, Carson said the most defining moment in his life occurred: He was the only child in his class able to identify an obsidian rock held up by his teacher.

"It said to me that everyone thinks you are dumb, but you are not dumb at all," he said. "And that was really the beginning of change."

The second most defining moment in his life almost led to tragedy. Carson got into an argument with a friend and, in a fit of rage, lunged at him with a knife. A belt buckle blocked the blow and saved his friend from injury. Carson said he ran away from the scene.

"I locked myself in the bathroom and started thinking about my life and I started praying," he said. "In the three hours I stayed in that bathroom, I came to an understanding that to lash out at people is not a sign of strength, it was a sign of weakness."

Eventually, Carson earned his undergraduate degree from Yale and went to medical school at the University of Michigan and joined Johns Hopkins when he graduated, becoming a world-renowned pediatric neurosurgeon.

On the campaign trail
Carson recently switched his voter registration from independent to Republican -- a move he acknowledged was spurred on by a possible presidential run.
"If I decide to run, I need to run as a Democrat or Republican," he said. "I don't want to run as a third-party candidate. And I would have to choose one of the parties."

But the retired doctor noted that if he decides to seek the GOP presidential nomination, it would not be as a "traditional candidate."

"I'm never going to be a politician," he said. "I'm not going to listen to the people who've already tried ... because then I'll be them. I won't be me. If I am not me, what would be the point, even if you won, of being in office under false pretenses?"

Carson further embraces the status as an outsider with no government experience, which he said is a positive with voters.

"I see it as a drawback if you want to continue going down the pathway of government controlling every aspect of our lives," he said. "I don't see it as a problem at all if somebody wants to re-establish the original intent in this country, which was a nation where the government conformed to the will of the people and not vice versa."

It is this type of talk that has created a "buzz" among some conservatives in the early voting state of South Carolina, said GOP strategist Joel Sawyer.
"He is someone that activists are listening to, to a degree," said Sawyer. "People are talking about him."

Helping to fan the flames of a possible presidential bid was a documentary about Carson that his business manager, Armstrong Williams, paid to air in in 22 states and Washington, D.C., last month.

On the issues, Carson talks about revamping the tax structure, cutting back on government regulations, and asserting the U.S. as a world power that will "obliterate" ISIS, and stand up to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

When it comes to social issues, though, Carson emphasizes that there are more pressing issues the nation needs to address.

"I have likened America to a ship that's about to sail off Niagara Falls," he said. "And the social issues are like little barnacles on the side of the ship. There are a lot of people leaning over the edge saying we got to get that barnacle. No, we have got to turn the ship around. Until we get things moving in the right direction, get the economy moving ... bring people out of poverty ... deal with our energy resources in an appropriate way, get education back where it belongs ... those are the issues that are critical. The social issues as far as I'm concerned they are personal issues for most people."

Carson said if the right candidate emerges -- which he describes as "somebody who understands business and economics and somebody who understands our place on the world stage and the responsibilities that we have" -- he wouldn't run. He is giving himself until May 1 to get into the presidential race.

In terms of being the only black candidate publicly interested in seeking the GOP nomination, Carson reverts back to his time as a surgeon.

"I operate on the thing that makes the person who they are," he said. "The skin doesn't matter to me. I really don't think those superficial characteristics have a place in society today."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/02/politics/ben-carson-gop-poll/index.html?hpt=po_c1

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #340 on: December 08, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »
Sarah Palin, 2016 hopefuls on roster of new Iowa event
By Alexandra Jaffe, CNN
Mon December 8, 2014

Washington (CNN) -- Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor and vice presidential pick, is headed to Iowa next month for a conservative gathering that will showcase no fewer than nine potential 2016 presidential contenders.

She's one of the confirmed speakers at the inaugural Iowa Freedom Summit, an event organized by Iowa Rep. Steve King and conservative group Citizens United to "bring grassroots activists from across Iowa to hear directly from national conservative leaders," per its website. The event is scheduled for Jan. 24.
Palin raised eyebrows last Spring when she said she'd "never say never" to a 2016 presidential run, and remains a star within the conservative wing of the GOP, but there's little indication she's moving forward with preparations for a bid.

If she ran, she'd face stiff competition for conservative support from a wide array of Republicans, many of whom will join her at the Iowa Freedom Summit.
Confirmed speakers for the event include Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, Tennessee Rep. Marsha Blackburn, former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton, physician Ben Carson, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Republican National Committee fundraiser Carly Fiorina — all of whom are openly contemplating a presidential run or haven't ruled it out.

Utah Sen. Mike Lee, the incoming chairman of the Senate Steering Committee, is also slated to speak.

The event will give the potential contenders the opportunity to test the waters with Iowa grassroots Republicans, which are key to any conservative presidential contender's chances. A strong showing in the Iowa caucuses, the first contest of the presidential primary, signals to major donors and conservatives in other states that a candidate is a viable option for the nomination.

Notably missing from the first round of confirmed speakers is Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, who has made no secret of his interest in running. His father, former Texas Rep. Ron Paul, posted a surprising third-place finish in the state's caucuses in 2012, but the Pauls' influence on the state has waned some in recent years.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/08/politics/sarah-palin-plots-iowa-trip/index.html?hpt=po_c2

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #341 on: December 09, 2014, 11:33:22 AM »
Mitch McConnell ‘Almost Certainly’ Endorsing Rand Paul In 2016
Alex Griswold 8:49 PM 12/08/2014

In an interview with CNN’s Dana Bash Monday, incoming Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said he will “almost certainly” back fellow Kentucky Senator Rand Paul should he run for president in 2016. (RELATED: Rand Paul On Executive Amnesty: Obama Can’t ‘Defend The Indefensible’ [VIDEO])

WATCH:

BASH: Now, you said of your junior colleague from Kentucky, Rand Paul, that he can ‘count on me’ in 2016. What does that mean?

MCCONNELL: Well, I’m a big fan of his. I mean we started off on opposite paths, but we’ve become great allies. I’m a big fan of his. I think he’s a very, very smart, capable guy.

BASH: So does this mean that if and when Rand Paul runs for president, the Senate majority leader will endorse him…

MCCONNELL: I’m — I’m going to be helpful to him in any way I can be. But I’m not going to be tromping around in New Hampshire and Iowa, I can tell you that.

BASH: But you’ll formally endorse him?

MCCONNELL: I’m almost certainly going to be doing that at some point.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/12/08/mitch-mcconnell-almost-certainly-endorsing-rand-paul-in-2016-video/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #342 on: December 09, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »
Christie to Attend Conservative Summit in Iowa
Tuesday, 09 Dec 2014

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will attend a conservative summit in Iowa next month, a spokesman for a group sponsoring the event said.

Jeff Marschner with Citizens United said Monday that Christie will attend the Iowa Freedom Summit on January 24 in Des Moines. The conservative group is sponsoring the event along with Republican Congressman Steve King of Iowa.

Christie is weighing a bid for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination. He made several visits to the early voting state during the midterm election cycle, including a stop at a King fundraiser. The summit would put him in front of a more conservative crowd than he has seen in many of his past visits.

Mike DuHaime, Christie's top political adviser, said Christie will be appearing at the event because King invited him. He said it will be Christie's first visit to Iowa since the midterm elections.

"Gov. Christie very much values the friendships he's developed over the years with both Gov. (Terry) Branstad and Congressman King," DuHaime said in a statement.

He said there currently are no other plans for the trip. Still, it presents an opportunity for Christie to hold private meetings with potential caucus supporters or possible staffers. Christie has been aggressively touring the country and fundraising this year as chairman of the Republican Governor's Association.

Branstad has hosted Christie at several events in recent months, including his October birthday fundraiser. Branstad recently praised Christie for vetoing legislation that would have banned the use of certain pig cages in the state. New Jersey has few hogs but Iowa raises more than 20 million hogs annually.

Other confirmed guests for the summit include Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, 2008 vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and Utah Sen. Mike Lee.

Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley and Iowa Congressman-elect Rod Blum also are expected to attend.

http://www.Newsmax.com/Politics/christie-iowa-conservative-summit/2014/12/09/id/611875/#ixzz3LQnmxT00

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #343 on: December 09, 2014, 11:41:41 AM »
Ben Carson Movie Wows Conservatives, Airs on Newsmax TV All Week
Monday, 08 Dec 2014
By Jim Meyers

A just-released documentary about the best-selling author and rising GOP star Ben Carson is getting rave reviews from conservative activists — a strong sign that the renowned neurosurgeon is seriously looking at running for the GOP presidential nomination in 2016.

The hour-long film "A Breath of Fresh Air: A New Prescription for America," airs every night this week on Newsmax TV at 9 p.m. and midnight Eastern Time, Monday through Friday.

You can tune into Newsmax TV on DIRECTV 349 and DISH Ch. 223, on NewsmaxTV.com, or via the free Newsmax app on any smartphone. [Find out how to get Newsmax TV on your cable system –– Go Here Now.]

Already the film has drawn nationwide media attention with Carson's presidential boosters urging him to run and clean up Washington with their "Run, Ben, Run" campaign.

"The money behind Carson, combined with his bootstrapping life story and his success in medicine, show that he's not someone who should be so easily written off," National Journal observed in a story about the new film. "He's by no means a front-runner, but that doesn't mean he won't be a contender."

The documentary from Armstrong Williams Productions opened with illustrations of the Founding Fathers, pointing out that three of them were physicians.

"The Founding Fathers were Republicans, in the sense that they believed that serving as a government representative was a civic duty, not a license for unlimited power," the documentary's narrator says.

"Is it necessary to have spent one's whole life in politics, doing nothing else productive than running for office?"

Carson grew up in poverty in Detroit, and became acclaimed in the medical community for his success in separating conjoined twins. In 2008 he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor.

Today he is a professor emeritus of neurosurgery, oncology, plastic surgery, and pediatric surgery at the Johns Hopkins Children's Center.

He has become an outspoken critic of President Barack Obama, criticizing his Obamacare program and administration efforts to trample on civil liberties.

Dr. Carson, a frequent commentator on Newsmax TV and Fox News, writes a weekly column and has authored five best-selling books. His latest, "One Nation: What We Can All Do to Save America's Future," reached No. 1 on The New York Times list of nonfiction books and remained in the top 10 for eight months.

Carson made headlines with his keynote address at the National Prayer Breakfast in February 2013 when, standing just a few feet from Obama, he criticized liberal government, calling for a return to a culture of personal responsibility, free markets, and upward mobility.

The "A Breath of Fresh Air" narrator describes that event: "Carson stood by his prescription for America, and his critique of bloated, ineffective and ultimately tyrannical government overreach. From a surgeon with such renown and gravitas to directly contradict the reigning dogma about healthcare was pure heresy in the eyes of his critics. But to others, it sounded a lot like common sense."

As Carson states in the documentary: "I would like to see the government stop trying to regulate every aspect of our lives."

Instead of Obamacare, Carson backs free-market approaches, including health savings accounts, which allow people to use tax-free dollars to pay for health expenses, viewers of the documentary learn. "Bring it into the free market: that makes it work much better," he says.

He also asserts that the United States should fight "the plague of radical Islamic extremism," adding that if political leaders don't "micromanage" military leaders and let them "use their talents," then "we can take care of this problem pretty quickly."

Carson recalls in the documentary the tremendous influence Ronald Reagan had in shaping his views:

"I used to be a rather radical left-wing person. And I started listening to him, and I started listening to the things he was saying, and they made so much sense. And I actually began to think about the world in a very different way."

Armstrong Williams, a television station owner and media strategist who oversaw the documentary's production, has been friends with Carson since the 1990s, when Carson appeared on one of Williams' talk show.

http://www.Newsmax.com/Newsfront/Ben-Carson-documentary-conservatives-Newsmax-TV/2014/12/08/id/611807/#ixzz3LQo9sL8q

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #344 on: December 09, 2014, 11:42:27 AM »
Christie to Attend Conservative Summit in Iowa

Why?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #345 on: December 10, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »
Eh, no it won't. 

Rick Santorum is running for president again — and says this time will be different
By Karen Tumulty December 9, 2014

Rick Santorum won primaries and caucuses in 11 states in 2012, coming in a respectable second in the GOP presidential primary season. And Republicans have a history of bestowing their nomination on the next guy in line, usually an also-ran from the last contest.

Yet the former senator from Pennsylvania is rarely mentioned in the already feverish pre-game 2016 chatter among the political commentariat and the donor class.

That’s just the way he likes it. Or so he says.

“America loves an underdog. We’re definitely the underdog in this race,” he said in an interview Tuesday. Santorum added that being underestimated — again — “has given me a lot of latitude.”

His iconic sweater vests will likely make a return appearance. But Santorum 2.0 will be a very different presidential campaign than the one that came from almost nowhere to win the Iowa caucuses in an overtime decision, he vows.

“I get the game,” Santorum said.

Where he had to build his operation from the ground up in 2012, Santorum now has a grass-roots operation called Patriot Voices, which boasts 150,000 activists across the country. Its current push, an online petition drive to oppose President Obama’s recent executive action on immigration, has generated what Santorum strategist John Brabender says are “30,000 new e-mail relationships.”

Whether Santorum can raise the money he needs is another question. Foster Friess, the benefactor who ponied up $2.1 million to a pro-Santorum super PAC in 2012, says he would support him again. The former senator is sounding out other deep-pocketed donors, whom he declined to identify.

He is retooling his message, hoping to appeal beyond his socially conservative base and reach blue-collar voters who are being left behind in the economy.

“I don’t think I’ve met a ‘suit’ yet,” Santorum said of his travels around the country. “It’s very much heart of America, average Americans who have found a place where they see someone who will stand up and fight for them. If the Republican Party has a future — and I sometimes question if it does — it’s in middle America. It’s not in corporate America.”

That is a theme he has sounded for years, though it often got overlooked in the 2012 campaign, where most of the attention was on Santorum’s culture warrior credentials.

“Part of what I had to do last time was lay out my bona fides” on moral and social issues, Santorum said. “That’s done.”

At the same time, Santorum is likely to have more competition for the support of social conservatives than he did in the last campaign. Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, who won the Iowa caucuses in 2008 and retains a strong reservoir of support among evangelical voters, is considering another White House bid.

Santorum argues that the reemergence of immigration as an issue will work in his favor because he takes a tougher line than many other Republicans do.

“I take the approach that immigration policy in America ought to be about Americans,” he said. “The principal focus of immigration policy is not about the rest of the world. It’s about us.”

The former senator hopes to revive his profile in the coming months with a series of trips to the early-contest states of Iowa, South Carolina and New Hampshire.

Santorum and his wife, Karen, have also written a book, due out in February, about their family’s experiences since the birth of their daughter Bella, who has a rare, usually deadly genetic condition called Trisomy 18.

Reflecting on how a presidential campaign could be different this time around, Santorum said: “We’re just obviously in a better place right now. Our message will be a lot more focused this time than it was last time.”

Santorum is running again. The question is whether, as the race heads to new terrain, he’ll still be able to keep the pace.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/rick-santorum-is-running-for-president-again--and-says-this-time-will-be-different/2014/12/09/0c955498-7fca-11e4-9f38-95a187e4c1f7_story.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #346 on: December 10, 2014, 12:44:48 PM »
Eh, no it won't. 

Rick Santorum is running for president again — and says this time will be different
By Karen Tumulty December 9, 2014

\

He's a conservative and he's a smart man.

WAY better choice for America than Christie, Romney, or any other piece of shit liberal RINO.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #347 on: December 11, 2014, 12:30:42 PM »
He wasn't arrogant.  He was a space cadet. 

Rick Perry: I Was 'a Little Arrogant' During 2012 Presidential Run
Wednesday, 10 Dec 2014
By Cathy Burke

Texas Republican Gov. Rick Perry says he was "a little arrogant" in his disastrous 2012 presidential bid, and won't make that mistake again if he runs in 2016.

In a sit-down at Austin's Bert's Bar-B-Q with John Harwood of CNBC – the reporter who pressed the governor in a debate after he couldn't remember the third federal agency he'd vowed to eliminate – Perry confessed he simply wasn't ready for a grueling national campaign.

Story continues below video.

"One of the errors that I made was in not being prepared," he said. "You know, I was a little arrogant and that had as much to do with my demise as a candidate as forgetting a third agency of government."

But that was then.

"I spent the last 22 or 23 months in preparation to run for the presidency," he declared, telling Harwood he’d decide by May or June if he'll go down the road to the White House again.

In his previous bid, Perry came late to the game for the Republican nominating process, tossing his hat in the ring when Iowa was already holding its first-in-the-nation caucuses, The Hill notes.

And though he rose to the top of the GOP field, mistakes in the fall and winter led him to withdraw in early 2012. Among the most ridiculed gaffes came in the CNBC-sponsored debate in 2011, when he had his infamous "oops" moment.

"I suspect that it happens to everyone, I’m just not sure that there are four million people watching," Perry said. "I’ve had a lot of fun with it subsequently. You have just made some really good 'Saturday Night Live' material."

He told Harwood the embarrassing moment makes "great political satire and comedy," but it won't be in his "obituary."

Perry's got a tough fight ahead should he decide to run; a CNN-ORC poll released in late November showed him in 10th place among GOP possible candidates, with only 4 percent support from Republicans.

http://www.Newsmax.com/Newsfront/arrogant-republicans-president/2014/12/10/id/612346/#ixzz3LchYjUGL

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #348 on: December 11, 2014, 02:50:50 PM »
He wasn't arrogant.  He was a space cadet. 

He was a little over his head.  He was a bit drunk during that one speech when I believe he actually held up a bottle of liquor lol...

but he is among the best the GOP has to offer, and he leans way more right than romney or christie.   Perry did a solid job as governor and would do a solid job as president.   I do think perry would have had a better chance beating obama in 2012 than romney did.   people do like perry.  They dont like romney.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #349 on: December 11, 2014, 04:36:17 PM »
Perry is like Obama in that he is great at reading a teleprompter and horrible at thinking on his feet.  Unless he had a personality and brain transplant, he will do exactly what he did in 2012:  lose.