Author Topic: Make Your Own Healthy Dog Treats  (Read 9809 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Make Your Own Healthy Dog Treats
« on: January 08, 2014, 05:49:38 PM »
Very simple.

Basically mix up any combination of "wet" ingredients with an electric mixer til smooth.
I've been using about ~1/2 cup canned pumpkin, 1 egg, ~1 tablespoon peanut butter, ~1/4 applesauce (homemade, no sugar), ~1 tablespoon honey, ~1 tablespoon oil (poured off from peanut butter).  

Take about 1-1/2 cups oatmeal and turn into oat flour in a food processor or your smoothie maker (Ninja), add about 1/4 teaspoon baking soda &/or 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (optional), about 1/4 cup of another no gluten flour (like rice flour) ~1 teaspoon cinnamon,  - whirl to mix.  I've also added a couple of tablespoons of psyillium husk for extra fiber.  Careful not to add too much because it will soak up too much moisture and the dough will be too crumbly to work with.

Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and mix until you can form the dough into a ball.  Refrigerate for at least an hour, up to a week.

When ready to bake, lightly flour work surface (I put wax paper down first) and roll out like you would for cutout cookies (about 1/4 inch)  Cut into shapes with cookie cutter or just use a knife and cut into desired size and shape.  

Bake on parchment or Silpat lined cookie sheet 325-350 for a total of about 45-55 minutes, flipping them about halfway thru.  Just make sure all the moisture is baked out before storing so they don't mold.
:

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Make Your Own Healthy Dog Treats
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »
Very simple.

Basically mix up any combination of "wet" ingredients with an electric mixer til smooth.
I've been using about ~1/2 cup canned pumpkin, 1 egg, ~1 tablespoon peanut butter, ~1/4 applesauce (homemade, no sugar), ~1 tablespoon honey, ~1 tablespoon oil (poured off from peanut butter).  

Take about 1-1/2 cups oatmeal and turn into oat flour in a food processor or your smoothie maker (Ninja), add about 1/4 teaspoon baking soda &/or 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (optional), about 1/4 cup of another no gluten flour (like rice flour) ~1 teaspoon cinnamon,  - whirl to mix.  I've also added a couple of tablespoons of psyillium husk for extra fiber.  Careful not to add too much because it will soak up too much moisture and the dough will be too crumbly to work with.

Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and mix until you can form the dough into a ball.  Refrigerate for at least an hour, up to a week.

When ready to bake, lightly flour work surface (I put wax paper down first) and roll out like you would for cutout cookies (about 1/4 inch)  Cut into shapes with cookie cutter or just use a knife and cut into desired size and shape.  

Bake on parchment or Silpat lined cookie sheet 325-350 for a total of about 45-55 minutes, flipping them about halfway thru.  Just make sure all the moisture is baked out before storing so they don't mold.

Great recipe.

Why don't you just use peanut oil instead of pouring it off the peanut butter which, I would think, would make the peanut butter rather dry?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »
Great recipe.

Why don't you just use peanut oil instead of pouring it off the peanut butter which, I would think, would make the peanut butter rather dry?

I have, or olive oil or sunflower oil, whatever is handy.  The Trader Joe's brand of natural peanut butter seems to have more oil than necessary, so I pour some off.
:

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 10:30:06 PM »
I have, or olive oil or sunflower oil, whatever is handy.  The Trader Joe's brand of natural peanut butter seems to have more oil than necessary, so I pour some off.

-Have not tried Trader Joe's peanut natural peanut butter.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »
Red Velvet PUPCAKES Homemade Valentine Dog Treats

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:38:19 PM »
St. Patrick's Day Shamrock DOG TREATS

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 12:01:46 PM »
Cute videos.  Gives me some ideas.  The only thing I would change is NO added salt and change up the whole wheat flour for some other type of flour.  I avoid wheat in everything.  Probably would change the type of oil too (canola = GMO).  Dogs really like cinnamon.  Not sure if it's the smell or taste, but with the applesauce, I'd add that too.
:

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 08:42:33 PM »
http://laughingsquid.com/alton-brown-creates-a-stinky-treat-to-keep-his-dog-from-snacking-out-of-the-cats-litter-box/

Alton Brown Creates A Stinky Treat To Keep His Dog From Snacking Out of The Cat’s Litter Box

After noticing that his beautiful dog Sparky had been snacking out of the cat’s litter box (aka the “stinky cheese shop”), the wonderfully quirky food guru Alton Brown, decided to take matters into his own hands and created a treat that was as stinky as cat feces, but far, far more healthy.

wasn’t interested in coming up with a chewy bar-like substance but rather a biscuit, something that would keep, and be hard enough to provide some dentrificios benefits and no I don’t think that’s a word but it works for me. Continuing my research, I decided the bulk of these stinky treats would be sweet potato, and rolled oats, both of which are considered quite good for hounds, the first for fiber and beta carotene, manganese, and vitamins C and B6, the second for soluble fiber which slows things down in the old GI tract which is good for regularity and nobody, and I mean nobody, wants an irregular dog. I wanted the stink to be an add- on…icing if you will and I actually did try to make an icing out of natto, fermented soy beans, Durian, even lutafisk, what we found really really worked for us is: fish sauce. Used in many South Asian cuisines, this is essentially the liquidous remains of stacking fish, typically anchovies in a barrel with some salt and leaving them for a year or more