Author Topic: WARNING SHOTS! Florida to Expand Stand Your Ground Law  (Read 1134 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
WARNING SHOTS! Florida to Expand Stand Your Ground Law
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:11:14 PM »
Florida state legislators are a step closer to expanding their Stand Your Ground law to include the ability to legally fire a warning shot. The expansion being considered “would grant the same protections already in place under Florida’s ‘Stand Your Ground’ law to people who only threaten to use force.”

If the expansion takes place, law-abiding citizens who fire a warning shot “would be immune from Florida’s ’10-20-Life’ law, which requires anyone who shows a gun while committing certain felonies…be sentenced to 10 years in prison.” If someone is wounded, the “10-20-Life” law requires a sentence of 25 years to life.

According to Fox News, a state Senate committee “voted in favor of the bill (SB 488) on [January 8] and a house committee has… voted in favor of similar legislation (HB 89),” as well.

The push to expand the “Stand Your Ground” law is partially due to the plight of Marissa Alexander, who was sentenced to 20 years in prison after firing a warning shot during an argument with her estranged husband.

Her sentence was “thrown out by an appeals court,” and a new trial scheduled for this year.

In pressing for the expansion to include warning shots, state Senator Greg Evers (R-Baker) said the legislature is not going to put up with law-abiding Floridians being punished if they “brandish weapons, [and] even fire warning shots, to ward off would-be assailants.”
Read more at Breitbart.com

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: WARNING SHOTS! Florida to Expand Stand Your Ground Law
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 06:17:35 PM »
Joe Biden Approved

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 06:50:38 PM »
Warning shot? Wtf? If I have to point my firearm at someone, im going to kill them.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:24:35 PM »
Warning shot? Wtf? If I have to point my firearm at someone, im going to kill them.

Could be some good parts, will definitely be some bad parts.  The "other guy" can't tell if he's hearing an aimed or a warning shot lol.  If I'm out jogging and some zimmerman type decides to issue a "warning shot" because he wants to see my ID, um, I'm going to return fire and I think it's going to be in his pizza box.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 07:37:04 PM »
Could be some good parts, will definitely be some bad parts.  The "other guy" can't tell if he's hearing an aimed or a warning shot lol.  If I'm out jogging and some zimmerman type decides to issue a "warning shot" because he wants to see my ID, um, I'm going to return fire and I think it's going to be in his pizza box.
you mean if youre out chasing a person with your hand gun out and ready to fire instead of jogging right zimmerman 2.0

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 08:30:29 PM »
you mean if youre out chasing a person with your hand gun out and ready to fire instead of jogging right zimmerman 2.0

???  I would never do this.  When we saw an unknown vehicle in the small community, we would come out onto our porches and record license plate numbers and sometimes ask the driver if they needed help.  Yes, we were armed. 

never did we RUN AFTER someone lol.   That is what a cowboy madman psychopath would do.   We were just a group of people keeping our eyes open and yes, when you have a permit and you're in your own yard, it's pretty smart and legal.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 07:17:19 AM »
Pretty much any firearms trainer/advocate/respected voice in the firearms/law enforcement community will tell you 'warning shots' are a bad idea. Real life isn't the movies

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 08:58:51 AM »
The longer you maintain the confrontation, the less the law or a jury is going to be in favor...much like 240 mentions in his post. If the folks are coming through the door...blaze away. I'd suggest dead if your sure your legally in the right. Getting sued for minding your own business in your own house would really suck. I can see how a private home owner may want leeway to use warning shots. Not the preferred method but whatever.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 09:03:36 AM »

Precisely.  If you're going to use deadly force, you aim for center mass and fire until the threat is stopped.  Firing a warning shot is a way to get yourself killed. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 09:20:47 AM »
A housewife firing a warning shot thru the roof to scare off a high dude at the door pounding away = could save her skin.

Some insecure prick issuing warning shots to anyone he deems suspicious = recipe for fcking disaster.

Imagine a zimmerman firing warning shots at dogs, cars refusing to move, kids refusing to identify themselves, etc.

HECK, look at it this way - do you want 240 having the ability to fire off a few bullets any time he feels threatened?  I mean, suppose you're walking down the road and I see you and think you're gonna mess with my car.  BOOM BOOM BOOM I deliver 3 shotgun rounds right over your head "as a warning".  LOL you suddenly think you're about to die.  Oh, and all sorts of other cowboys come out and they start firing too - cause all they hear is a gunshot, and see your ass running away.  Now they get to fire more warning shots at you BOOM BOOM BOOM.   LOL still like this idea?

THe more I think about it - the more I dislike this idea.  Can save lives in a few situations, but will open the door for all sorts of clusterfcks and battles out of confusion.

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 08:02:17 PM »
GOOD.

macos

• Getbig IV
  • Jamie Dimon get some $$ please.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 12:26:51 AM »
Warning shot?

Florida sure is a dangerous plClace to live in.
Still safer than Afghanistan
;D
$

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 04:41:55 AM »
A housewife firing a warning shot thru the roof to scare off a high dude at the door pounding away = could save her skin.

Some insecure prick issuing warning shots to anyone he deems suspicious = recipe for fcking disaster.

Imagine a zimmerman firing warning shots at dogs, cars refusing to move, kids refusing to identify themselves, etc.

HECK, look at it this way - do you want 240 having the ability to fire off a few bullets any time he feels threatened?  I mean, suppose you're walking down the road and I see you and think you're gonna mess with my car.  BOOM BOOM BOOM I deliver 3 shotgun rounds right over your head "as a warning".  LOL you suddenly think you're about to die.  Oh, and all sorts of other cowboys come out and they start firing too - cause all they hear is a gunshot, and see your ass running away.  Now they get to fire more warning shots at you BOOM BOOM BOOM.   LOL still like this idea?

THe more I think about it - the more I dislike this idea.  Can save lives in a few situations, but will open the door for all sorts of clusterfcks and battles out of confusion.

Clusterfucks, you say? Like some moron who was ready to draw down because someone looked at him funny in a gas station parking lot?

Once again you make a logical leap in your argument that is driven by emotion and stupidity as opposed to common sense.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 08:27:52 AM »
Clusterfucks, you say? Like some moron who was ready to draw down because someone looked at him funny in a gas station parking lot?

Once again you make a logical leap in your argument that is driven by emotion and stupidity as opposed to common sense.

I was getting a pizza when a car with two youths sped up, blocked me in, jumped out and started walking at me.  You know that look in their eyes when they're coming at you.  Then, when they saw me shaking my head, mouthing no, with arm pointing down flexed with gun below eye level - one says something to another and they jump back into car and get out of there fast.

I don't think warning shots would have helped that situation.  I do believe they were armed, and I do believe they were coming at me.  There is no other explanation.  They weren't there for a pizza lol.

I don't mind warning shots, perhaps, if a person issues them from INSIDE their home, into a spot INSIDE their home.  Put it at a low angle thru floor or safe ceiling, if you feel you NEED to shoot to scare someone off.  There isn't much confusion when it comes to that... any person entering an occupied dwelling should feel compelled to stop entry after that.  However, out at a gas station or pizza joint, warning shots can only lead to instant gun battles, perhaps even a 3rd party opening fire when he sees someone issuing warning shots.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 09:46:07 AM »
Good grief.  Some people have no business being anywhere near loaded weapons.   :-\

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »
On March 20th the Florida House passed warning shot legislation 93-24.

This would allow citizens under attack to fire a warning shot instead of retreating and instead of shooting the attacker immediately.

According to Bradenton.com, bill sponsor Neil Combee (R-Auburndale) said he pushed this bill for the sake of Marissa Alexander.

According to US News & World Report, Alexander was arrested in August 2010 after firing a warning shot while being attacked by her estranged husband. She was tried and convicted, served 21 months of a 20-year sentence, was freed, and will face retrial on July 28th.

Combee's bill had broad Republican support, with some support from Democrats as well, although state representative Perry Thurston (D-Fort Lauderdale) sought to amend the bill and use it to "make major changes to 'stand your ground.'"
The Florida Senate "tentatively" passed a bill similar to Cumbee's on March 20th. It will come up for a floor vote in the senate on March 26th.

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at awrhawkins@breitbart.com.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 10:03:35 PM »
Sounds like something out of The Old West