Author Topic: Crossfit  (Read 11761 times)

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
Re: Crossfit
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2014, 07:11:22 AM »
I hate how people say Crossfit is better than Nautilus.

Nautilus started a virtual revolution.  And it was SAFE.

I know some very good athletes that were directed towards Crossfit.  Each and every one of them has nagging injuries at the very least, some serious injuries at the worst.

Coach and I may disagree about proper strength training protocols (I don't think a WSB template applies to most athletes, as it is a program geared towards equipped lifters who powerlift/compete in organizations with bastardized definitions of what a squat is (barely parallel at best, wide stance; sumo deadlifting, etc.)

However, it is MALPRACTICE to injure your athlete in the gym.  A strength and conditioning coach is there to better prepare their athlete not only for the athletic endeavor, but to prevent injury/downtime from injury. 

Crossfit overstepped its bounds when it marketed itself as a "sport" unto itself. 

The only gym owner I know who started out as Crossfit who is very successful is the one who went and got Olympic Lifting Certifications, and he makes sure that he doesn't take the middle aged housewife and go full throttle with the program. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2014, 07:16:10 AM »
I wish Arthur Jones was still alive so I can read his comments on CrossFit. It was literally the opposite of everything he stood for.

Arthur Jones was not only little but a seriously out of shape guy.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2014, 08:39:22 AM »
I actually don`t know much about Crossfit,but some of the ridiculous stuff I`ve seen in vids was enough to make me avoid giving two fucks about it and looking into it any further.

Like oldtimer said earlier,I`m sure there are some people involved who are great at it,use decent weight,impeccable form,etc.,but I would bet a dollar to a donut,these are the exceptions to the rule.

Women training with a baby strapped to her chest,uninformed idiots trying to do technical Oly lifts,ridiculous kipping chins that make them proud of their "prowess",and so on.

I`ll stick to training my balls off old school style the way I was taught, and looking decent, over looking stupid without even realizing it.

Hey wait..........  :D

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2014, 12:39:45 PM »
Don´t buy the muscle mags anymore but my son buys them.. i was shocked how much crossfit was in it.
extremely sad....crossfit is just plain wrong.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2014, 02:18:38 PM »
I actually don`t know much about Crossfit,but some of the ridiculous stuff I`ve seen in vids was enough to make me avoid giving two fucks about it and looking into it any further.

Like oldtimer said earlier,I`m sure there are some people involved who are great at it,use decent weight,impeccable form,etc.,but I would bet a dollar to a donut,these are the exceptions to the rule.

Women training with a baby strapped to her chest,uninformed idiots trying to do technical Oly lifts,ridiculous kipping chins that make them proud of their "prowess",and so on.

I`ll stick to training my balls off old school style the way I was taught, and looking decent, over looking stupid without even realizing it.

Again....people live to point out the morons who are in the CF 'community'.  Tell me you haven't seen as big (or bigger) douche bags in bodybuilding.  The synthol ladden fucks....the shitty kids and their 1200mg of test a week after only 2yrs of training.  The 2" ROM on squats all the while wearing the Dre Beats headphones and drinking their C4 before training.

People can have their bash-fest with CF.....I could point out all the morons with BBing to counter everything.  Here's one....Kali Muscle (seriously????  bash CF and this guy doesn't have a fucking thread weekly??)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2014, 03:14:14 PM »
^^^ I can`t argue with you there.........there`s clowns to the left of me,jokers to the right,and I`m stuck in the middle with you.

NO HOMO

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2014, 03:48:22 PM »
Crossfit defenders are a rabid bunch.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »
Crossfit defenders are a retarded bunch of homos.

Fixed.  You're welcome.

viking1

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2014, 06:37:04 PM »
This pretty much sums of Crossfit...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2014, 02:02:55 AM »

Most of the "instructors" have done a few "Workshops" and are experts in CF... what a load of crap. Burpees i first did in 1985...

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2014, 03:13:34 PM »
I'm not a hater, to each his own, but....isn't it kind of poorly thought out that they have soccer moms doing very high volume Olympic lift workouts? Especially the over head stuff. This kind of rattles my common sense detectors.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2014, 03:24:59 PM »
I'm not a hater, to each his own, but....isn't it kind of poorly thought out that they have soccer moms doing very high volume Olympic lift workouts? Especially the over head stuff. This kind of rattles my common sense detectors.

don't see the problem with it, what better way to get your 1000 practice kicks in, as bruce would say?

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2014, 03:28:40 PM »
don't see the problem with it, what better way to get your 1000 practice kicks in, as bruce would say?

I've seen a correlation with high volume overhead movements and AC/GH joint injuries....seems newbies (ie. middle aged women new to athletics) would be even more susceptible to injury with such a lack of neuro-muscular foundation and coordination. No?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2014, 03:52:46 PM »
I've seen a correlation with high volume overhead movements and AC/GH joint injuries....seems newbies (ie. middle aged women new to athletics) would be even more susceptible to injury with such a lack of neuro-muscular foundation and coordination. No?
You are so right. powerlifting lifts you have to learn...explosive ...yes but with the form you see in Crossffit---jeez 

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with high volume in itself.  If volume is high, weight should be low.  If the person is new, each rep should be supervised.  Etc.

Now, using high-volume olympic lifts to kick the ass of an untrained person so that they can appreciate the difficulty of crossfit... no good.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with high volume in itself.  If volume is high, weight should be low.  If the person is new, each rep should be supervised.  Etc.

Now, using high-volume olympic lifts to kick the ass of an untrained person so that they can appreciate the difficulty of crossfit... no good.

Maybe you're just not aware of the detrimental effects of high volume and overhead compound movements....

Hint: what is the function of the shoulder? Therein lies your answer.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2014, 04:28:16 PM »
Maybe you're just not aware of the detrimental effects of high volume and overhead compound movements....

Hint: what is the function of the shoulder? Therein lies your answer.

if i do 1000 overhead squats with a broom handle, am i going to ruin my shoulder?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2014, 04:30:18 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with high volume in itself.  If volume is high, weight should be low.  If the person is new, each rep should be supervised.  Etc.

google overuse injuries.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »
google overuse injuries.

sure thing coach.  google sent me this:

Overuse injuries, otherwise known as cumulative trauma disorders, are described as tissue damage that results from repetitive demand over the course of time. The term refers to a vast array of diagnoses, including occupational, recreational, and habitual activities.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/313121-overview

is this a good definition?  so, how much "volume" of overhead movements can I do each time i do my crossfit workout (lets say daily) before i get "tissue damage"?

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2014, 04:39:52 PM »
if i do 1000 overhead squats with a broom handle, am i going to ruin my shoulder?

Very possible. As seen in tons of occupational injuries. Most common: painters. Lots of shoulder impingement, rotator cuff arthropathy, etc. This concept  is old news too, I didn't invent this or the injuries.  Been around for awhile.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2014, 04:41:29 PM »
sure thing coach.  google sent me this:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/313121-overview

is this a good definition?  so, how much "volume" of overhead movements can I do each time i do my crossfit workout (lets say daily) before i get "tissue damage"?

100 squat thrusts per day while wearing a lifting belt will be your specific threshold.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2014, 04:42:11 PM »
Very possible. As seen in tons of occupational injuries. Most common: painters. Lots of shoulder impingement, rotator cuff arthropathy, etc. This concept  is old news too, I didn't invent this or the injuries.  Been around for awhile.

how many can i do then... what do you think is reasonable?

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2014, 04:43:24 PM »
100 squat thrusts per day while wearing a lifting belt will be your specific threshold.

thanks stud, your input has been invaluable.  just waiting for confirmation from the coach before i do anything drastic...

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »
how many can i do then... what do you think is reasonable?

Depends. My son had severe rotator cuff tendonitis last year after his retarded coach had him catch the ENTIRE 9 inning per game 6 game tournament then the next day go into full throwing practice. During the his third long toss throw he felt it. During the last game of the tournament he pulled himself out after me and several other parents warned him of injury. He threw over 1100 balls that weekend. It took him about 5-6mos to fully recover.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2014, 07:27:04 PM »
I hate how people say Crossfit is better than Nautilus.

Nautilus started a virtual revolution.  And it was SAFE.

I know some very good athletes that were directed towards Crossfit.  Each and every one of them has nagging injuries at the very least, some serious injuries at the worst.

Coach and I may disagree about proper strength training protocols (I don't think a WSB template applies to most athletes, as it is a program geared towards equipped lifters who powerlift/compete in organizations with bastardized definitions of what a squat is (barely parallel at best, wide stance; sumo deadlifting, etc.)

However, it is MALPRACTICE to injure your athlete in the gym.  A strength and conditioning coach is there to better prepare their athlete not only for the athletic endeavor, but to prevent injury/downtime from injury. 

Crossfit overstepped its bounds when it marketed itself as a "sport" unto itself. 

The only gym owner I know who started out as Crossfit who is very successful is the one who went and got Olympic Lifting Certifications, and he makes sure that he doesn't take the middle aged housewife and go full throttle with the program. 

Better than what? If you want to balance on Swiss balls moving weights around or perform ballistic almost acrobatic feats than Cross Fit is vastly superior. If you want to improve health, fitness and muscular strength then there are much better and safer ways to do it.

I don't considered Cross Fit to be a fitness protocol as such, although you have to be very fit to perform it, just like I don't consider MMA to be a fitness protocol though you have to be in incredible shape to be good at it. As Arthur Jones pointed out, there's a difference between displaying strength and fitness and developing it. Performing a one rep max on the bench press is a display of your strength but I don't think anyone will argue that doing one rep max is the optimal way to develop muscular size and strength.