Author Topic: Crossfit  (Read 11757 times)

Mawse

• Getbig IV
Re: Crossfit
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2014, 09:46:11 PM »
I've seen a correlation with high volume overhead movements and AC/GH joint injuries....seems newbies (ie. middle aged women new to athletics) would be even more susceptible to injury with such a lack of neuro-muscular foundation and coordination. No?

My art chiro treats the trainers at "supple leopard" Kelly starretts gym for all kinds of injuries and here supposed to be ambassadors for safe cross fit.

So I can only imagine how the average Middle aged weekend warrior trainee with horrific thoracic mobility does with a mass of jerky, badly performed overhead work.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2014, 09:50:07 PM »
My art chiro treats the trainers at "supple leopard" Kelly starretts gym for all kinds of injuries and here supposed to be ambassadors for safe cross fit.

So I can only imagine how the average Middle aged weekend warrior trainee with horrific thoracic mobility does with a mass of jerky, badly performed overhead work.

Lol yeah that's pretty funny bro.

I forgot you were the ART guy on here, good stuff.  8)

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2014, 06:58:54 AM »
Stirring the pot...

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2014, 07:11:54 AM »

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2014, 08:34:44 AM »
Better than what? If you want to balance on Swiss balls moving weights around or perform ballistic almost acrobatic feats than Cross Fit is vastly superior. If you want to improve health, fitness and muscular strength then there are much better and safer ways to do it.

I don't considered Cross Fit to be a fitness protocol as such, although you have to be very fit to perform it, just like I don't consider MMA to be a fitness protocol though you have to be in incredible shape to be good at it. As Arthur Jones pointed out, there's a difference between displaying strength and fitness and developing it. Performing a one rep max on the bench press is a display of your strength but I don't think anyone will argue that doing one rep max is the optimal way to develop muscular size and strength.

Pellius, if I recall correctly, you are a Mentzerite.

So am I.

I believe we are on exactly the same page.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2014, 10:51:38 AM »

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2014, 12:54:43 PM »
I wonder what the next "big thing" is going to be after crossfit and kettlebells  ::)

KB's have been around for a hundred years.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2014, 09:01:15 PM »
Pellius, if I recall correctly, you are a Mentzerite.

So am I.

I believe we are on exactly the same page.

Mentzer was my inspiration when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I use to see him all the time in the early 1990s at Gold's and he always remembered my name. He didn't live that far from me as we both live in Redondo Beach. I never saw him out and about but would often see his brother, Ray. I had a feeling Mike didn't go out in public much. You'd see Ray at the mall or at El Polo Loco Chicken. That was one of his, and my, favorite places.

When I was working as a security guard at a condo right after high school. There was a guy name, Hank Grudman, who lived there who just opened up a Nautilus training facility. This was in the late 1970's  early 80's. So Nautilus was a novel thing here in Hawaii. We talked a bit about training and he gave me a book by Arthur Jones. It changed my life and how I approached training.