Author Topic: How to cook a steak with Gordon Ramsey  (Read 18467 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: How to cook a steak
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »
I think I already asked you before, but do you have a sous vide machine or do you do this using some other ingenious method? The prospect of having a perfectly done steak and simply needing to sear it before eating is VERY enticing.
I do, but its not necessary at all if you have a thermometer and a beer cooler.

The Perfect Steak:

1. Fill your Beer Cooler with hot water from the tap-hot as you can get it, and also boil some water in a pot.  What we want is water around 125-130 degrees for your Beer Cooler.  The boiled water can help you get to 125-130 and if you go over by mistake, just add some cooler water.  Once you get used to it, it only takes a second to hit your range in like 5 minutes or so.

2. Season Steak salt and pepper on both sides.  Get a Ziplock Bag, Freezer bags also work very well, put the steak in the bag. Now we want to vacuum seal it.  Here is a video on how its done.  Its very simple.  Just don`t get any water in the bag. 

Its very simple to do.  Just lower it in the water and the air will come out as you lower it and seal as you go, careful to not get any water in the bag.  The video will show you how.  Its simple.

3.  Leave steak in for an hour or you can just leave it in there longer until you are ready to eat.  The meat will be perfectly cooked and the temperature obviously will not rise above 125-130 resulting in perfectly cooked meat every single time.

4.  Now we want to sear the meat.  Put about 2 teaspoons of oil in a cast iron skillet or a skillet that can take high heat.  Heat your skillet just until it smokes.  As SOON as it starts put the meat in.  We only want 45 seconds-1 minute no more on each side.  So 45 seconds on one side, flip and 45 seconds for the other.

5. Let meat rest about 10 minutes to the juices absorb into the meat and you are now ready to eat. 

This results in a PERFECTLY cooked steak every single time with no work really involved.  If you can measure the temperature of water, you can have a PERFECTLY cooked steak every single time.  This is how the Most Expensive restaurants cook their steaks.  Its called Sous Vide.  They use machines that costs thousands of dollars but you can get the EXACT SAME results with just a beer cooler.  Its the ONLY way I ever cook steak because it comes out PERFECT every time.  Restaurant quality.  The other good thing is, you can have them in the cooler in the water bath for a long time and whenever you are ready, you can just sear it in the pan and BOOM, its done!

Give it a try, you will be shocked that you just made better than Restaurant Quality once you get it down perfectly.  Easiest thing you will ever do.

dustin

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »

The Perfect Steak:

1. Fill your Beer Cooler with hot water from the tap-hot as you can get it, and also boil some water in a pot.  What we want is water around 125-130 degrees for your Beer Cooler.  The boiled water can help you get to 125-130 and if you go over by mistake, just add some cooler water.  Once you get used to it, it only takes a second to hit your range in like 5 minutes or so.

2. Season Steak salt and pepper on both sides.  Get a Ziplock Bag, Freezer bags also work very well, put the steak in the bag. Now we want to vacuum seal it.  Here is a video on how its done.  Its very simple.  Just don`t get any water in the bag. 

Its very simple to do.  Just lower it in the water and the air will come out as you lower it and seal as you go, careful to not get any water in the bag.  The video will show you how.  Its simple.

3.  Leave steak in for an hour or you can just leave it in there longer until you are ready to eat.  The meat will be perfectly cooked and the temperature obviously will not rise above 125-130 resulting in perfectly cooked meat every single time.

4.  Now we want to sear the meat.  Put about 2 teaspoons of oil in a cast iron skillet or a skillet that can take high heat.  Heat your skillet just until it smokes.  As SOON as it starts put the meat in.  We only want 45 seconds-1 minute no more on each side.  So 45 seconds on one side, flip and 45 seconds for the other.

5. Let meat rest about 10 minutes to the juices absorb into the meat and you are now ready to eat. 

This results in a PERFECTLY cooked steak every single time with no work really involved.  If you can measure the temperature of water, you can have a PERFECTLY cooked steak every single time.  This is how the Most Expensive restaurants cook their steaks.  Its called Sous Vide.  They use machines that costs thousands of dollars but you can get the EXACT SAME results with just a beer cooler.  Its the ONLY way I ever cook steak because it comes out PERFECT every time.  Restaurant quality.  The other good thing is, you can have them in the cooler in the water bath for a long time and whenever you are ready, you can just sear it in the pan and BOOM, its done!

Give it a try, you will be shocked that you just made better than Restaurant Quality once you get it down perfectly.  Easiest thing you will ever do.

I didn't realize it would cook that quickly. I thought around 6 hours or so was the mark, but I guess it really shouldn't take so long if you think about it.

That sounds awesome. I'm probably cooking up some steaks in the next few days, so I'll give this a shot. 8)

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
Re: How to cook a steak with Gordon Ramsey
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2014, 03:18:04 PM »
Did I ever tell you about the worst steak I ever ate? 

It was awesome.
Y

RagingBull

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
Per below instructions, does the steak end up well done, medium or rare?

The Perfect Steak:

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2014, 09:03:03 PM »

Did this tonight.  I unfortunately couldn't keep the temperature constant.  So, I ended up with a medium steak.  Still, was more juicy than when I have fucked up and made it medium before.  I kept it in the water for 1hr.  Seared it for 90 seconds per side afterwards (after drying off).  The actual machines are about $350 - $400 on Amazon.  I am going to look at the little devices that keep the water temp consistent.

All in all...not a bad steak.

RagingBull

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2014, 10:45:01 PM »
Thank you!

Did this tonight.  I unfortunately couldn't keep the temperature constant.  So, I ended up with a medium steak.  Still, was more juicy than when I have fucked up and made it medium before.  I kept it in the water for 1hr.  Seared it for 90 seconds per side afterwards (after drying off).  The actual machines are about $350 - $400 on Amazon.  I am going to look at the little devices that keep the water temp consistent.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2014, 10:54:31 PM »

Its going to be whatever you like it depending on your temperature.  Medium Rare for the instructions I gave.

RagingBull

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2014, 10:55:47 PM »
Thanks!

Its going to be whatever you like it depending on your temperature.  Medium Rare for the instructions I gave.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2014, 11:00:57 PM »
Did this tonight.  I unfortunately couldn't keep the temperature constant.  So, I ended up with a medium steak.  Still, was more juicy than when I have fucked up and made it medium before.  I kept it in the water for 1hr.  Seared it for 90 seconds per side afterwards (after drying off).  The actual machines are about $350 - $400 on Amazon.  I am going to look at the little devices that keep the water temp consistent.

Did you put the lid on the Cooler?  Also, how full was the cooler?  Ideally you want to use a somewhat smaller one and not a gigantic one.  You want to have the thing nearly full.  The temperature should not drop at all if done correctly.  Did you keep opening it up and checking?  There has to be a reason why your temperature wasn`t constant and I would like to figure out why.

Also, 90 seconds is a little long in my opinion for the final sear.  

If I were you, I would get an Anova or Sansaire which are 199 dollars or less and are completely portable and you can make ANYTHING a water bath.  Its much more convenient than your big blocky stand alone water ovens.

Check it out.

http://anovaculinary.com/

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2014, 08:15:28 AM »
Did you put the lid on the Cooler?  Also, how full was the cooler?  Ideally you want to use a somewhat smaller one and not a gigantic one.  You want to have the thing nearly full.  The temperature should not drop at all if done correctly.  Did you keep opening it up and checking?  There has to be a reason why your temperature wasn`t constant and I would like to figure out why.

Also, 90 seconds is a little long in my opinion for the final sear.  

If I were you, I would get an Anova or Sansaire which are 199 dollars or less and are completely portable and you can make ANYTHING a water bath.  Its much more convenient than your big blocky stand alone water ovens.

I had a larger stainless steel pot.  I have a wireless thermometer.  I can set it to go off when it hits a certain temp.  So I would have my stove on very low until it hit 140, then let it cool until 128.  I didn't want to go out to my garage and get my cooler.  I was too lazy.  Next week I will do the cooler thing with the the wireless thermometer.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2014, 09:04:22 AM »
Perfect Medium Rare steak:

Fill cooler with water that's 140-145F, put steak in zip lock bag and squeeze out all air.  Drop steaks in water, and close cooler.

45 minutes later heat up a cast iron skillet to the max, remove steak from zip lock bag, and sear each side.

S

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2014, 09:07:37 AM »
I've always found that the turning only once method produces inferior steaks. Never bothered with transporting it to the oven though. I guess that is for big, thick rump steaks? I like my steak rare and don't mess around frying it for a long time - unless it's shit quality meat.
O

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2014, 11:11:31 AM »
Perfect Medium Rare steak:

Fill cooler with water that's 140-145F, put steak in zip lock bag and squeeze out all air.  Drop steaks in water, and close cooler.

45 minutes later heat up a cast iron skillet to the max, remove steak from zip lock bag, and sear each side.

Temperature is WAYYYY too high for medium rare.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2014, 11:12:32 AM »
I had a larger stainless steel pot.  I have a wireless thermometer.  I can set it to go off when it hits a certain temp.  So I would have my stove on very low until it hit 140, then let it cool until 128.  I didn't want to go out to my garage and get my cooler.  I was too lazy.  Next week I will do the cooler thing with the the wireless thermometer.
There is your problem right there.  The pot will NOT hold the heat at all like a cooler. You were brave for even trying it like that. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
You won`t even have to worry about using your wireless thermometer inside the cooler.  You want a decent seal so the heat can`t escape.  You might not want to use it if you are not going to get a decent seal.

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2014, 11:13:58 AM »
Gordon is wrong about turning it once only. You will actually get better results flipping it more.  In fact, the more you flip, the better.  Gordon is a moron sometimes and not scientific.  He is the Bro-Science of the Culinary world.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-flip-your-steaks-and-burgers-multiple-times-for-better-results.html

One guy is a master chef that charges obscene amounts of money to cook or supervise cooking for some of the richest people in the world. The owner of many fine restaurants. The other is a Master bater internet troll that stalks people online all day through various forums, and claims to be able to cook. Hmmmm...

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2014, 02:34:50 PM »
One guy is a master chef that charges obscene amounts of money to cook or supervise cooking for some of the richest people in the world. The owner of many fine restaurants. The other is a Master bater internet troll that stalks people online all day through various forums, and claims to be able to cook. Hmmmm...

Think long and hard before you make a decision.   :D

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2014, 04:33:28 PM »
Gordon Ramsey is an annoying piece of dung.  That may well be part of his shtick but the truth of it is I don't want to be annoyed.  As for his cooking, so what?  It's all the emperor's new clothes.  People praise him because he's a good cook and it's considered popular/stylish to do so.

Screw  him, his shtick, his cooking and his "show".  He's making money?  Not off of me, but good for him all the same. 

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2014, 05:24:14 PM »
Did it Saturday....found out my cooler has a small crack in it so my water was not staying in it.  Had to keep monitoring the temp every 10 - 15 mins.  Otherwise, the steak came out nice.  I do think I will continue to do my searing and finishing in oven though....I feel its much more my style....

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2014, 08:27:50 PM »
Did it Saturday....found out my cooler has a small crack in it so my water was not staying in it.  Had to keep monitoring the temp every 10 - 15 mins.  Otherwise, the steak came out nice.  I do think I will continue to do my searing and finishing in oven though....I feel its much more my style....

X2

The only time I bathe my meat in water is when I jump in my hot tub.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2014, 08:38:24 PM »
Think long and hard before you make a decision.   :D
::)

How does that invalidate the info?  Again, focus purely on the information and facts.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2014, 08:42:12 PM »
Pan seared steak tastes way too damn good for my lazy ass to even attempt this bag in a cooler method.

I'm happy with my steak and ignorance.  8)
A

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2014, 08:45:25 PM »
I remember the worst steak I ever cooked.

It was fucking delicious.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2014, 08:51:27 PM »
Pan seared steak tastes way too damn good for my lazy ass to even attempt this bag in a cooler method.

I'm happy with my steak and ignorance.  8)
You pan sear it at the end.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2014, 08:52:36 PM »
True Adonis teaching a multimillionaire chef some things about cooking.

Only on Getbig  :D :D
x2.....my thoughts exactly!