Author Topic: I'm screwed for bodybuilding now  (Read 3811 times)

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
I'm screwed for bodybuilding now
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »
Moving to a row house in the country. There are no gyms here. Nothing. The basement is a partial and shallow dungeon. All I could be able to do is use db's and possibly a barbell.

What direction do I take my physique now?

LiftEaTsLeEpRePeAt

• Getbig IV
  • Fish
Re: I'm screwed for bodybuilding now
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »
extreme leanness      get ripped with cardio and bar work

a

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 01:37:49 PM »
Sounds like a good place to OPEN a gym  ;)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 01:44:09 PM »
Moving to a row house in the country. There are no gyms here. Nothing. The basement is a partial and shallow dungeon. All I could be able to do is use db's and possibly a barbell.

No problem, buy a home gym
A

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 01:44:54 PM »
Focus on making more money first.

AVBG

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »

What's the climate like to where you're moving to? Maybe set up an outdoor gym? Buy a garage to set up in to protect the equip from the elements?

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 02:06:05 PM »
What's the climate like to where you're moving to? Maybe set up an outdoor gym? Buy a garage to set up in to protect the equip from the elements?

snow ice in the winter. hot and rainy in the summer. these are row houses. like units. low income properties. prob anything you leave outside will be ripped off, and there is no garages and the outside property is used by everyone. like a big park in your backyard.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 02:31:59 PM »
A gym is hardly necessary for building a good physique.  Simple googling will give tons of options.
Y

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »
snow ice in the winter. hot and rainy in the summer. these are row houses. like units. low income properties. prob anything you leave outside will be ripped off, and there is no garages and the outside property is used by everyone. like a big park in your backyard.

Concentrate on getting yourself into a better place. Work two jobs if you must.

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 02:40:14 PM »
You can build a soid physique in a prison cell. Not as good as a gym obviously but nothing to worry about.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 02:48:38 PM »
You can build a soid physique in a prison cell. Not as good as a gym obviously but nothing to worry about.

didn't even think of that. how far can pushups develop a chest?

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
didn't even think of that. how far can pushups develop a chest?

I'd say far enough to concentrate on and get really good at. That will tone you up all over and increase your strength in one exercise. I say this from the vantage point of any man. You do enough of these until your muscles burn every day and you will grow. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 02:57:37 PM »
I'd say far enough to concentrate on and get really good at. That will tone you up all over and increase your strength in one exercise. I say this from the vantage point of any man. You do enough of these until your muscles burn every day and you will grow. 

There's also tons of variations, including different plyometric styles, etc.
Y

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 03:00:02 PM »
the main thing I really want is a powerful back. wide hanging thick lats. so i'm guessing pullups (parks work for this) and maybe have my kids hang off my back.

LiftEaTsLeEpRePeAt

• Getbig IV
  • Fish
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 04:01:51 PM »
the main thing I really want is a powerful back. wide hanging thick lats. so i'm guessing pullups (parks work for this) and maybe have my kids hang off my back.

push ups   weighted if able
dips using chairs
buy a cheap pull up bar that mounts in the doorway
you can do yoga and stretch at home

if there is a park near by    follow the workout in my previous post.   those niggas be jacked and there os nothing better for toning and building a solid core then using your own body weight
a

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 04:08:57 PM »
Jedi, stop complaining. That would be a first step to a better life.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 04:34:10 PM »
Get a pair of Power blocks or Iron master dumbbells with a bench. You can do so many things with just that. If you have never tried dumbbell squats holding dumbbells at your sides with straps your missing a great leg exercise. Just don't deadlift the weight. Fairly straight back and sink it deep bending your legs so the dumbbells brush the floor. Most big squatters can't use  two 100lbs dumbbells for 12 reps doing it like that.

If you can't afford around $1000 dollars for the above equipment go the body weight route. Between running and body weight you'll be ripped.  A good source of information is  http://rosstraining.com/blog/. Get his book "Never Gymless."  Guys here might mock going the non Iron route but it sure has built conditioning for Seals, Rangers, Boxers and wrestlers.  

Body weight exercises: You can do a routine like this.

1. burpees that include a push up and a jump at the end.
2. Single leg pistol squats transition to free hand two leg squats.
3. lunge jumps alternating legs
4. chins change grips
5. Lower the chin bar to around waist height. Face the ceiling with your feet heels on a chair. Do body weight rows.
6. Push up using wide and narrow.
7. Feet elevated pushups for shoulders until your strong enough to do head stand push ups.
8. dips.
9. single leg calf raise on a step
10. various ab work like sit ups, crunches and bicycles.

There is a lot of different body weight  stuff you can do with cheap equipment like push up handles, ab wheels, dip bars and other stuff. Years ago in a poor city about 30 miles from when I was working I saw men working out in a playground. It was summer and these black guys were ripped and in shape. They were doing stuff like push ups, chins and dips. When I hit my gym that had everything in the world you can want it was filled with chubby perma bulker white guys. The play ground poor black guys would have ripped them apart if push came to shove.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 05:00:01 PM »
Solid post, Oldtimer. I'm not a big fan of DB squats, since heavy/big DB's tend to push against your legs & hips.
Apart from this, most people that train at home fail on the long run, so it's a risky investment.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 05:22:03 PM »
Solid post, Oldtimer. I'm not a big fan of DB squats, since heavy/big DB's tend to push against your legs & hips.
Apart from this, most people that train at home fail on the long run, so it's a risky investment.

Holding the dumbbells at my side I never had a problem with dumbbells rubbing or pushing anywhere. The guy in the picture should have his back more upright but I don't care if you hold 120lbs it will work. I have found it to be a very effective exercise.

Wee Laddy

• Getbig II
  • Bow to your bunny overlords!
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 05:26:16 PM »
Perhaps you haven't seen Rocky IV

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 05:36:01 PM »
Holding the dumbbells at my side I never had a problem with dumbbells rubbing or pushing anywhere. The guy in the picture should have his back more upright but I don't care if you hold 120lbs it will work. I have found it to be a very effective exercise.

It's not impossible, but to me a front or rear barbell squat feels better. Lately however, I perform single leg squats with DB's.
I would invest in a power rack/olympic bar set for a serious/efficient leg training at home, but again, only if you're motivated to train at home. The OP doesn't sound motivated, rather negative/complaining.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 06:01:51 PM »
A power rack is ideal dropping but it sounds like room is a big consideration for the original poster. With power blocks or ironmaster dumbbells and a bench you can train in a shoe box size room.

Here's a cheap body weight addition product.  http://www.ultimatebodypress.com/ultimate-body-press-dip-bar.html?productid=ultimate-body-press-dip-bar&channelid=FROOG

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »
A power rack is ideal dropping but it sounds like room is a big consideration for the original poster. With power blocks or ironmaster dumbbells and a bench you can train in a shoe box size room.

Hence, my first advice  ;)

Focus on making more money first.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 06:12:59 PM »
He could do dumbell lunges or walking lunges...very humbling exercise and good for quads,hams,and glutes.

If he buys dumbells the possibilities are endless and they take up very little space.

Chins
Dips
Dips between 2 benches or chairs for triceps

Just too much stuff to list.

I know a guy who got really good equipment from Craigslist too,so that`s another avenue to explore.

Nasty Nate

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »
I built my upper body with barbells, db's, and a single cable attachment.