Author Topic: Clueless CrossFit Trainer Takes on Disabled Client - this sickens me  (Read 24527 times)

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
Re: This sickens me (crossfit idiocy)
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2014, 01:32:38 PM »
Don't they flip tires in crossfit?

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2014, 02:38:32 PM »
I love MisterMagoo and Krankenstein, but Crossfit as a whole is garbage.  Sure, some elements are okay and decent but overall, cult crap that empowers women for some odd reason.

So many sports/activities are cult-ish.  I found bodybuilding to be more cult-ish than CF

Don't they flip tires in crossfit?

Yes.....but also when you are a baseball player training at Joe's gym.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2014, 02:59:24 PM »
So many sports/activities are cult-ish.  I found bodybuilding to be more cult-ish than CF

Yes.....but also when you are a baseball player training at Joe's gym.
I agree, but the business model for Crossfit specifically is designed for being a group/cult activity.  This behavior is highly encouraged whereas bodybuilding can be a lone endeavor and there is no "mandatory" group behavior/group think.

Its a successful business model that parallels religion in many ways and that is precisely why it works. 

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2014, 07:33:06 PM »
90% of my clientele are high school, college and pro athletes. The rest are general population.

It's impossible to program for zero injuries, what a bunch of bs.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2014, 07:50:19 PM »

Not if you are the almighty Right Wing COACH!!!!!!  UP, UP, AND AWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYY

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2014, 08:24:53 PM »
Everyday, we have clients with parkinsons.

Man... Coach...

I can't believe you want to even open up this can of worms.

These discussions should be on an elite level training board. It's too much for this place. We are talking about health, physiology, pharmacology... even therapy.

It is a serious daily task and is so closely related to the medical field.

Just give everyone their Rhabdo sticker and let them go.

We do what we do, they do what they do. The last thing we need is the  stress of an endless argument. Crossfit is always going to be on that fence. It will never "cross" over until the lawsuits become ubiquitous.

We may as well talk about Pitbulls ~

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2014, 08:45:39 PM »
Man... Coach...

I can't believe you want to even open up this can of worms.

These discussions should be on an elite level training board. It's too much for this place. We are talking about health, physiology, pharmacology... even therapy.

It is a serious daily task and is so closely related to the medical field.

Just give everyone their Rhabdo sticker and let them go.

We do what we do, they do what they do. The last thing we need is the  stress of an endless argument. Crossfit is always going to be on that fence. It will never "cross" over until the lawsuits become ubiquitous.

We may as well talk about Pitbulls ~

eKul would not be amused.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2014, 09:21:40 PM »
What will last longer in our society. The MMA faze or the Crossfit faze?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2014, 09:25:03 PM »

Seriously, where do you this from? Unless they come in with an existing injury, we have no injuries. If you have injuries in a program it's due to lack of information from the clients history, no testing or assessments or flat out poor programming.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2014, 09:25:38 PM »
Krank: in the article that Joe posted, what was the specific injury the now paralyzed athlete incurred? It was from a clean ??? That's a first For me hearing that happen from a simple clean

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2014, 09:26:08 PM »
What will last longer in our society. The MMA faze or the Crossfit faze?

CrossFit is a dying fad.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2014, 09:27:56 PM »
Krank: in the article that Joe posted, what was the specific injury the now paralyzed athlete incurred? It was from a clean ??? That's a first For me hearing that happen from a simple clean

Snatch from what I've heard. More than likely at the snatch balance.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2014, 09:29:18 PM »
Snatch from what I've heard. More than likely at the snatch balance.

What exactly was the mechanism of injury though? Did he drop the bar or what?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
Not sure, heard his spine was severed.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2014, 09:44:19 PM »
Not sure, heard his spine was severed.

Hmm.....wonder if the bar slipped out of his hands, somehow he hyperextended at the waist. Gotta be in the lumbar region if it's from the waist down.

I could see this with 1rm Oly lifting but I can't believe in a crossfit workout that the weight was so heavy he couldnt throw the bar away when he missed the lift

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
There is a video of it on the other thread.  I was sure hoping Joseph would talk more shit.....I really was.  In a nut shell, he was going for a lift, dumped it behind his back (which is the right thing to do) and fell into a seated position. I guess the the bar rebounded off of some plates that were stupidly placed behind the platform and it bounced back onto him.

It really was a freak accident thing.  Funny thing...people talk about the whole cult thing with CF (which I really do abhor) but they ARE a tight "community".  If the figure is true, and there was over $115K raised so far...thats impressive and kind.  How much did people donate for Flex Wheeler?  Dennis Newman?  Porter Cotrell?  DA??  Exactly....

The fact his injury was around T11 (you don't sever your spine, you sever a spinal cord...you fracture a spinal column) has a very minimal chance of walking again (4 - 5%).  Possible complete loss of bowel and/or bladder control.  I have not read anything more on his injury so I can not say much more...

Que his royal training highness to spout off more at the mouth (still waiting on what YOU have seen personally that a chiro treated and shouldn't have....couldn't provide just ONE example??)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2014, 10:08:34 PM »
Did CrossFit teach you to dump a snatch load at the top from behind? Unless he had no choice you never dump the load from thee rear. There's no way to control the drop.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2014, 11:26:25 PM »
Seriously, where do you this from? Unless they come in with an existing injury, we have no injuries. If you have injuries in a program it's due to lack of information from the clients history, no testing or assessments or flat out poor programming.

I can't believe this. ???

You train at a high level and there will be injuries, period. Weightlifters with million dollar programs and the best programmers = injuries. Powerlifters = always injured. Since you're a fan of Louie Simmons, maybe you could teach him about proper programming. All those guys are constantly injured, and I bet many are junkies as well due to having to pop pain pills just to be able to get out of bed in the morning. Louie and others will say today's knowledge reduces injury rate but I doubt anyone will claim no injuries.

Football players may tear a pec doing a max rep attempt with 225 on the bench. it can happen with zero warning. Especially if they're on anabolics, and you always say all high level athletes do drugs. How do you program against that?

You have kid doing max attempt on things like squats. How do you program against one of them buckling his knee or whatever, resulting in injury? Form almost ALWAYS suffers, for EVERYONE when doing max attempts.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2014, 05:09:54 AM »
Did CrossFit teach you to dump a snatch load at the top from behind? Unless he had no choice you never dump the load from thee rear. There's no way to control the drop.

You never dump a snatch to the rear? So, any video I post of an olympic lifter missing the snatch and letting it drop behind them you are going to tell me you are right....and they are wrong? 

Van....you should realize by now that Coach is above answering such things as you point out.  He IS infallible.  He IS the epitome of perfection. 

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2014, 05:20:25 AM »
Krankenstein sure likes to get himself worked up on here

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2014, 05:44:15 AM »
Krankenstein sure likes to get himself worked up on here

Hmmm....let me check BP for a sec.....

Nope...pretty calm.  Thanks for checking though.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2014, 07:29:06 AM »
You never dump a snatch to the rear? So, any video I post of an olympic lifter missing the snatch and letting it drop behind them you are going to tell me you are right....and they are wrong? 

Van....you should realize by now that Coach is above answering such things as you point out.  He IS infallible.  He IS the epitome of perfection. 

I've been teaching for 4 years. I teach at schools and in my own gym (although I don't use them much in my program we still go through technique EVERYDAY) I've been USAW certified for 5 years.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2014, 07:35:48 AM »
I can't believe this. ???

You train at a high level and there will be injuries, period. Weightlifters with million dollar programs and the best programmers = injuries. Powerlifters = always injured. Since you're a fan of Louie Simmons, maybe you could teach him about proper programming. All those guys are constantly injured, and I bet many are junkies as well due to having to pop pain pills just to be able to get out of bed in the morning. Louie and others will say today's knowledge reduces injury rate but I doubt anyone will claim no injuries.

Football players may tear a pec doing a max rep attempt with 225 on the bench. it can happen with zero warning. Especially if they're on anabolics, and you always say all high level athletes do drugs. How do you program against that?

You have kid doing max attempt on things like squats. How do you program against one of them buckling his knee or whatever, resulting in injury? Form almost ALWAYS suffers, for EVERYONE when doing max attempts.

I didn't say it can't happen, it most certainly can....but it hasn't. Imagine trying to explain to a parent, coach or worse yet a scout or agent that your athlete can't play because of an injury from the program.

"Excuse Mr. Boras, your $10mil player can't play this year because he tore his bicep tendon or rotator cuff because of something he did in the gym".

Yeah, that wouldn't affect business too much ::)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2014, 07:38:34 AM »
Here is the only vid I could find:

Sad....and what did I say? He more than likely severed his spine at the snatch balance!

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2014, 07:50:23 AM »
I'd like to hear what some Olympic level oly-lift (redundancy of peace) coaches think about their lifts used in traditional crossfit programs....