Author Topic: Clueless CrossFit Trainer Takes on Disabled Client - this sickens me  (Read 24580 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: This sickens me (crossfit idiocy)
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2014, 07:53:13 AM »
Coach, I readily admit that I know next to nothing regarding the Oly lifts.

I always inherently knew that technique in those lifts is of the highest importance, because you are combining high levels of acceleration, thus creating high levels of shearing force, that were contraindicated for my goals.

Now, if you want to compete in Oly lifting, that is a different animal.

I personally don't think they are necessary for sports performance, most coaches do. I don't teach for competitive purposes. Let me ask you, as far as his insurance goes, shouldn't the crossfit event insurance cover him?

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2014, 07:54:03 AM »
Trainer would receive a rough and shameful dicking following the feast of the corn.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2014, 07:55:58 AM »
I'd like to hear what some Olympic level oly-lift (redundancy of peace) coaches think about their lifts used in traditional crossfit programs....

The high level crossfitters that I have seen have very good technique with the lift by itself.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2014, 07:56:45 AM »
Trainer would receive a rough and shameful dicking following the feast of the corn.

"Dicking" LMAO

dogbowl

• Getbig IV
  • Team anyone except heath
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2014, 07:58:39 AM »
Sad....and what did I say? He more than likely severed his spine at the snatch balance!

Can you go into more detail about what you think happened exactly?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2014, 08:01:12 AM »
I'd like to hear what some Olympic level oly-lift (redundancy of peace) coaches think about their lifts used in traditional crossfit programs....

They don't mind it at all if it's programed smartly by established coaches working with Crossfit. Not the quick cert coaches that started being turned out a few years ago.

Honestly, they hesitantly  love it because it brought cheap equipment and money into the sport, it also offers a talent pool that might actually migrate into real Olympic lifting.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2014, 08:02:17 AM »
The high level crossfitters that I have seen have very good technique with the lift by itself.

I mean how do they feel about oly lifts thrown into a rigorous CF workout....do they have objections?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »
Can you go into more detail about what you think happened exactly?
So it was the injury that made him drop the bar?  That would be even more interesting.

I know this is a horrible situation, but I think it is useful to know what can go wrong, and this could be a good learning opportunity.

I don't know, didn't look like he had a lot weight on the bar. I don't know how much recovery he had between events, I don't know if he had felt something before and decided to just work through it but what I did see is that O-lift event was eighth in the events. Perhaps he failed in technique because of fatigue from the pervious events. I've always power is first in any program....power in this situation was eighth.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2014, 08:13:26 AM »
How can they be necessary for sports performance.
Studies have shown that the best way to become good at jumping higher is....guess what??....practice jumping!
I am just as, if not more explosive now than I was in my hardcore tennis playing days because of weight training.  I carry much more weight (30+ pounds) but am just as quick.  A stronger athlete is a better athlete.  Period.  End of story.

I have read that the fracture occurred in the thoracic region of his spine.  That is a VERY hard area of the spine to damage.  Mostly occurs when workers fall off of ladders, scaffolding, etc.

The highlighted answered your own question. When I teach speed for example, I always say speed starts in the weight room and technique is on the field, you can't run faster (specifically first step or 10, 20 yards) without weight training.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2014, 08:38:41 AM »
Sad....and what did I say? He more than likely severed his spine at the snatch balance!

The event list was posted and it wasn't a snatch balance.  So it WASN'T what you said....

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2014, 08:40:39 AM »
I don't know, didn't look like he had a lot weight on the bar. I don't know how much recovery he had between events, I don't know if he had felt something before and decided to just work through it but what I did see is that O-lift event was eighth in the events. Perhaps he failed in technique because of fatigue from the pervious events. I've always power is first in any program....power in this situation was eighth.

With proper programming this would have never happened.   ::)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2014, 08:42:41 AM »
it makes me laugh that when a crossfitter breaks his back in a freak accident, it's proof that crossfit is bad. but when kobe bryant tears his achilles and then his knee it doesn't mean that basketball is dangerous.

coach, what about the hundreds and hundreds of kids who get hurt playing school sports? friends of mine broke wrists wrestling, tore ACL/MCLs in football, i actually know a kid who got seven concussions his senior year. does that mean high school sports are bad?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2014, 09:12:22 AM »
The event list was posted and it wasn't a snatch balance.  So it WASN'T what you said....

The snatch balance is part of the lift Krank. The last frame in this progression is called the SNATCH BALANCE!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2014, 10:31:48 AM »
it makes me laugh that when a crossfitter breaks his back in a freak accident, it's proof that crossfit is bad. but when kobe bryant tears his achilles and then his knee it doesn't mean that basketball is dangerous.

coach, what about the hundreds and hundreds of kids who get hurt playing school sports? friends of mine broke wrists wrestling, tore ACL/MCLs in football, i actually know a kid who got seven concussions his senior year. does that mean high school sports are bad?

I get a little puzzled when people compare crossfit other sports when it comes to injuries. Yes, you can have injuries in any sport and truthfully it's expected. I don't know hardly of any athlete that doesn't have some sort of injury. It's apart of the game. But you shouldn't expect injuries from a "fitness' program. 

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2014, 10:57:41 AM »
The snatch balance is part of the lift Krank. The last frame in this progression is called the SNATCH BALANCE!

Ummm...no....

http://www.catalystathletics.com/exercises/exercise.php?exerciseID=80

Start with a barbell racked across the back of the shoulders as it would be for a back squat with hands in a Snatch grip. Start with your feet in the pulling position. Dip and drive at the knees to unload the bar momentarily, and transition the feet to the receiving position while driving yourself into the bottom of an overhead squat.

http://breakingmuscle.com/video/video-sean-waxman-olympic-weightlifting-drills-pressing-snatch-balance

http://breakingmuscle.com/video/video-sean-waxman-olympic-weightlifting-drills-snatch-balance-from-the-toes

http://tottentraining.com/?p=794  (make sure you check out the "about" in this one Joe)

Oh, wait....you have 40+ years of practical experience....you should have know the above.  Pompous fuck....can't even admit when you are wrong.  At NO POINT did the guy pictured have the bar racked on his shoulders....geezus this is getting old with you.  Just like a woman...will argue a point even when she is wrong.

How do can honestly sit there and get puzzled when people (ha ha...you mean anti-cf people like you) compare crossfit to other sports.  Are you aware Joey that CHEERLEADING is the #1 'sport' for head trauma.  Ranked ABOVE football.  How about just your basic cervical spinal column injuries:

Top 15 Sports Contributing to SCI
Diving: 1,563 males, 135 females = 1,698
Bicycling: 312 males, 35 females = 347
All Terrain-Vehicle/All Terrain-Cycle (ATV/ATC): 133 males, 20 females = 153
Football: 136 males = 136
Snow Skiing: 118 males, 14 females = 132
Horseback Riding: 61 males, 64 females = 125
Winter Sports: 98 males, 26 females = 124
Other Sports: 85 males, 18 females = 103
Surfing (including body surfing): 101 males, 2 females = 103
Wrestling: 82 males, 2 females = 84
Trampoline: 53 males, 8 females = 61
Gymnastics: 31 males, 18 females = 49
Snowmobiles: 37 males, 5 females = 42
Field Sports: 37 males, 1 female = 38
Hang Gliding: 31 males, 2 females = 33

(hmmm...where is CF on that list)

How about this one Joe??

Football
Football-related head injuries, in particular concussions, are more common than neck fractures, but it is not infrequent for a player to incur both a head and neck injury during an incident. Of the estimated 2,692 sports-related neck fractures treated at U.S. hospital emergency rooms in 2009, 268 were related to football.
Neck injuries are usually associated with high-velocity collisions between players, causing acceleration or deceleration of the head on the neck. Acceleration often causes a whiplash type of extension force on the neck, while deceleration often results in flexion forces. Spearing, which has been banned in American football since 1976, happens when a player uses the helmet/head as the first point of contact with another player. Spearing is a significant cause of cervical spine injuries and quadriplegia.
Cervical-spine injuries are estimated to occur in 10-15 percent of all football players, most commonly in linemen and defensive players.
Both past and present data show that the football helmet does not cause cervical spine injuries; rather it is poorly executed tackling and blocking techniques that are the major problem.
During the past 33 years, there have been a total of 307 football players with incomplete neurological recovery related to cervical SCI: 253 high school players; 34 college players; 14 professionals; and six sandlot players. Data indicate a reduction in the number of cervical cord injuries with incomplete neurological recovery when compared to data published in the early 1970s.
During the 33-year period from 1977-2009, 216 of the 307 players with cervical SCIs were playing defense.
During the 2009 football season there were a total of nine cervical spinal cord injuries with incomplete neurological recovery. This is a decrease from the 14 cervical spinal cord injuries with incomplete neurological recovery in 2008. Seven of the injuries occurred at the high school level, one at the college level, and one at the professional level.
A majority of catastrophic SCIs occur in games. During the 2009 season, five injuries took place in games, two in practice, and two in scrimmage games.

Nearly 10 percent of catastrophic cervical SCIs took place while being tackled.
A high school junior football player was injured while making a tackle. He was a defensive back and injured his cervical vertebra. He underwent surgery and his recovery was incomplete.
A 16-year-old high school football player was injured in a JV scrimmage. He was a defensive back making a tackle with his head up. He underwent a 7-hour surgery fusing C-5 and C-6. His recovery was incomplete.
An 18-year-old high school football player fractured his neck at C-4 during a scrimmage game when his head hit a runner while he was being blocked. He underwent urgery and is still experiencing fine motor skill problems.
A high school senior was injured in a game while making a tackle with his head down from his defensive back position. He was injured in the second quarter, but played the remainder of the game. He fractured his neck at C-5 and wore a neck brace for eight weeks. He has made a full recovery.
A college football player fractured his neck at C-5 after a headfirst hit with a teammate while making a tackle. He wore a neck brace for three months and made a full recovery.
A semi-pro World Football League player was paralyzed in a game while making a tackle on kick-off coverage. He fractured his neck at C-6, underwent surgery, and his recovery was incomplete.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2014, 11:01:26 AM »
Ummm...no....

Start with a barbell racked across the back of the shoulders as it would be for a back squat with hands in a Snatch grip. Start with your feet in the pulling position. Dip and drive at the knees to unload the bar momentarily, and transition the feet to the receiving position while driving yourself into the bottom of an overhead squat.

http://breakingmuscle.com/video/video-sean-waxman-olympic-weightlifting-drills-pressing-snatch-balance

http://breakingmuscle.com/video/video-sean-waxman-olympic-weightlifting-drills-snatch-balance-from-the-toes

http://tottentraining.com/?p=794  (make sure you check out the "about" in this one Joe)

Oh, wait....you have 40+ years of practical experience....you should have know the above.  Pompous fuck....can't even admit when you are wrong.  At NO POINT did the guy pictured have the bar racked on his shoulders....geezus this is getting old with you.  Just like a woman...will argue a point even when she is wrong.

How do can honestly sit there and get puzzled when people (ha ha...you mean anti-cf people like you) compare crossfit to other sports.  Are you aware Joey that CHEERLEADING is the #1 'sport' for head trauma.  Ranked ABOVE football.  How about just your basic cervical spinal column injuries:

How about this one Joe??

Football
Football-related head injuries, in particular concussions, are more common than neck fractures, but it is not infrequent for a player to incur both a head and neck injury during an incident. Of the estimated 2,692 sports-related neck fractures treated at U.S. hospital emergency rooms in 2009, 268 were related to football.
Neck injuries are usually associated with high-velocity collisions between players, causing acceleration or deceleration of the head on the neck. Acceleration often causes a whiplash type of extension force on the neck, while deceleration often results in flexion forces. Spearing, which has been banned in American football since 1976, happens when a player uses the helmet/head as the first point of contact with another player. Spearing is a significant cause of cervical spine injuries and quadriplegia.
Cervical-spine injuries are estimated to occur in 10-15 percent of all football players, most commonly in linemen and defensive players.
Both past and present data show that the football helmet does not cause cervical spine injuries; rather it is poorly executed tackling and blocking techniques that are the major problem.
During the past 33 years, there have been a total of 307 football players with incomplete neurological recovery related to cervical SCI: 253 high school players; 34 college players; 14 professionals; and six sandlot players. Data indicate a reduction in the number of cervical cord injuries with incomplete neurological recovery when compared to data published in the early 1970s.
During the 33-year period from 1977-2009, 216 of the 307 players with cervical SCIs were playing defense.
During the 2009 football season there were a total of nine cervical spinal cord injuries with incomplete neurological recovery. This is a decrease from the 14 cervical spinal cord injuries with incomplete neurological recovery in 2008. Seven of the injuries occurred at the high school level, one at the college level, and one at the professional level.
A majority of catastrophic SCIs occur in games. During the 2009 season, five injuries took place in games, two in practice, and two in scrimmage games.

A high school junior football player was injured while making a tackle. He was a defensive back and injured his cervical vertebra. He underwent surgery and his recovery was incomplete.
A 16-year-old high school football player was injured in a JV scrimmage. He was a defensive back making a tackle with his head up. He underwent a 7-hour surgery fusing C-5 and C-6. His recovery was incomplete.
An 18-year-old high school football player fractured his neck at C-4 during a scrimmage game when his head hit a runner while he was being blocked. He underwent urgery and is still experiencing fine motor skill problems.
A high school senior was injured in a game while making a tackle with his head down from his defensive back position. He was injured in the second quarter, but played the remainder of the game. He fractured his neck at C-5 and wore a neck brace for eight weeks. He has made a full recovery.
A college football player fractured his neck at C-5 after a headfirst hit with a teammate while making a tackle. He wore a neck brace for three months and made a full recovery.
A semi-pro World Football League player was paralyzed in a game while making a tackle on kick-off coverage. He fractured his neck at C-6, underwent surgery, and his recovery was incomplete.

Your desperation with the attempt to prove yourself  is comical. I guess the USAW is wrong. LOL. You're confusing a snatch grip with a snatch balance.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »
Coach knows what he is talking about, crossfit is for lame ass fuckers that don't lift hardcore.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »
Ummm...no....

Krank, he's confirming what I had been saying. He demonstrated the SNATCH BALANCE.

How about this one Joe??

Football

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2014, 11:17:08 AM »
From the USAW manual....

Snatch & Snatch Related Exercises:

1. Press Behind Neck
2. Snatch Press Behind Neck
3. Overhead Squat
4. Snatch Balance
5. Power Snatch
1. Power Position
2. Hang Above Knee
3. Hang Below Knee
4. Lift Off
5. Floor
6. Power Snatch + Overhead Squat (descending positions as
above)
7. Snatch (descending positions as above)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2014, 11:22:05 AM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]
Love this!  So true!

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »
Krank, he's confirming what I had been saying. He demonstrated the SNATCH BALANCE.

Your desperation with the attempt to prove yourself  is comical. I guess the USAW is wrong. LOL. You're confusing a snatch grip with a snatch balance.

From the USAW manual....

Snatch & Snatch Related Exercises:

1. Press Behind Neck
2. Snatch Press Behind Neck
3. Overhead Squat
4. Snatch Balance
5. Power Snatch
1. Power Position
2. Hang Above Knee
3. Hang Below Knee
4. Lift Off
5. Floor
6. Power Snatch + Overhead Squat (descending positions as
above)
7. Snatch (descending positions as above)

You seriously aren't this retarded....are you?

You claim was that the last frame of that lifting doing a FULL/SQUAT SNATCH demonstrated a snatch balance.

The Snatch balance starts with bar on the shoulder (please be so kind as to review the sentence I placed in bold if you have a hard time grasping the concept).  As far as what is from the USAW...what does that show?  Snatch and SNATCH RELATED.  Thats the best you can do?  Find me ONE olympic coach that says that dipping under the bar and standing up is a snatch balance while doing a full snatch.  That's as retarded as saying when you are standing up from a squat you are demonstrating a leg extension.   ::)  This is becoming painful Joe....

The only comical is you actually making the statements you have so far....."40+ years practical experience"  at age 51.  Thats my new sig.....

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »
Jesus Christ, I give up trying to get through to you. Go ahead and keep making an ass of yourself with out me.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2014, 12:55:28 PM »
Olympic lifting is worthless.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2014, 01:01:37 PM »
it is the only true measure of strength

the title of "world strongest man" is property of the IWF

I don`t think it is at all.  

The only way to truly measure strength would be to have a machine that forces a muscle to contract until it snaps and the machine measures the force.