Author Topic: What is crossfit?  (Read 4048 times)

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
What is crossfit?
« on: January 12, 2014, 12:41:27 PM »
What is crossfit? I cant watch videos, just a basic simple explanation, is its like circuit training? I see a bunch of skinny fucks at my gym wearing Crossfit Canada shirts, Im in Sydney Australia

dustin

Re: What is crossfit?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:55:11 PM »
It looks like circuit training laced with a shitload of gyrating, kipping and dangerously yanking on weights like an idiot. That's my best guess!

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:59:33 PM »
It looks like circuit training laced with a shitload of gyrating, kipping and dangerously yanking on weights like an idiot. That's my best guess!

so jumping from exercise to exercise? I saw a mother with a baby strapped to her fucken chest doing something similar.

dustin

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 01:02:30 PM »
so jumping from exercise to exercise? I saw a mother with a baby strapped to her fucken chest doing something similar.

Wow. Sounds like a contender for the tandem Darwin awards. Poor baby. There was a pregnant mom doing crossfit that came under a lot of fire. A little activity while pregnant is okay, but swinging around weights and doing Olympic lifts is terrible. I hope the kids get taken away.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 01:04:39 PM »
Wow. Sounds like a contender for the tandem Darwin awards. Poor baby. There was a pregnant mom doing crossfit that came under a lot of fire. A little activity while pregnant is okay, but swinging around weights and doing Olympic lifts is terrible. I hope the kids get taken away.

I was hoping she hit the baby with the kettle bells.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 01:26:16 PM »
crossfit is a lot of things

-it's a franchise business with cult like qualities
-it's a concept of total fitness
-it's a competitive event

what it is not however is a training methodology, it shows people where they want to be, but not how to get there. room for improvement and an interesting concept however.

this is probably the most complete explanation. it is an IDEAL but no one's quite mastered the path to getting there yet. lots of different ideas, but none really hammered down. the top guys separate their training into targeting different elements then, as the competition nears, they focus on combining it.

i think the most succinct way to describe crossfit is "strongman for speed and distance". yeah i know SM events are timed, but they're not REALLY about speed.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 01:35:38 PM »
crossfit is a lot of things

-it's a franchise business with cult like qualities
-it's a concept of total fitness
-it's a competitive event

what it is not however is a training methodology, it shows people where they want to be, but not how to get there. room for improvement and an interesting concept however.

great post...and I think it is your first point (franchise/cult like qualities) that drive people (many of whom could improve the system) away from CF
K

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 01:36:55 PM »
I have to admit, most of the girls I see that are talking bout it are pretty lean.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 01:48:51 PM »
i think it's what attracts a lot of their consumers in the first place. from looking at their appearance and overall fitness level in these seminars and random classes these people are the sort of folk that can also be found in wing chung death strike classes. they pay to feel part of something right out of a comic book so to speak.

as pointed out repeatedly, the dominating athletes in the crossfit games have built their fitness levels thru other ways than "crossfit", crossfit is in their case an event they prepare for and not a training methodology. as the prize money may get bigger and the even attract more atheletes it will be further revealed that crossfit gyms are not what builds crossfit winners. and the attention will shift to successful atheletes and their trainers, away from the cult

so whats the drill?
do 10 sets of this and then run for 5 mins, then climb this wall, then skip for 2 mins is that what it is?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 01:51:11 PM »
lock her up. Who the fuck in their right mind would risk their Kids life.  The idea of circuit Training or PHA from Bob Gadja is not new. It´s like "hit" cardio.. i mean we did this in the 80s. Crossfit is OK if you want to do it...but please learn the lifts from an old School powerlifer!!

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 01:52:47 PM »
lock her up. Who the fuck in their right mind would risk their Kids life.  The idea of circuit Training or PHA from Bob Gadja is not new. It´s like "hit" cardio.. i mean we did this in the 80s. Crossfit is OK if you want to do it...but please learn the lifts from an old School powerlifer!!

this dumb bitch obviously. honestly that kid will be a loser like its mother anyway.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »

Don't forget selfies.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 01:56:59 PM »
great post...and I think it is your first point (franchise/cult like qualities) that drive people (many of whom could improve the system) away from CF

100%...the people who push that on those who get involved with CF are the ones I despise.  Couldn't agree more with your post as well.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »
Don't forget selfies.

taken between "sets" of course
K

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 02:00:48 PM »
the "crossfit fail" compilations on youtube speak volumes on what sort of organization crossfit is. can you imagine such recordings in weightlifting or gymnastic schools? i sure can't

Make sure you don't mention that to Joe....because only competent coaches are mistake free and don't injure their athletes.

As far as the CF chicks not eating...from what I have seen (going to Regionals in Chicago, seeing a few at gyms, and talking with some in my clinic) they don't have the body dysmorphic attitude that BBer/figure chicks do.  These CF chicks can EAT

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »
starving is a time tested method of losing weight. as crossfit tells its members to eat a paleo diet, i assume they dont eat a lot of calories. the result is a lean but otherwise oddly developed body from all their unbalanced training they generally look like shit as you could call it. not that it matters as it's not a bb contest but you brought up the physical appearance thing

cheers for the solid info sir.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »
 :) :D

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 02:17:56 PM »
i find this immensely confusing statement and not sure what you mean

but it's obvious to me that these people dont have the slightest idea of what they are doing

It was being facetious...you mentioned about the videos of gymnastic and weightlifting gyms and the "fails".  I threw out the comment Joe loves to make about good coaches.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »
i find this immensely confusing statement and not sure what you mean

but it's obvious to me that these people dont have the slightest idea of what they are doing

video would have been funnier without the stupid music (why do people ruin shit like that) but an excellent look into crossit fails
K

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 02:25:38 PM »
I encountered this bloke at the gym, I suspect he's a crossfitter because

-he wears sleeveless but has small arms
-he wears warms up reallly reallllly fucking long to do a few shitty squats all hips no quads
-he talks my ear off about what a stud dimitry klokov is

When I told him that weightlifting methodology doesn't produce an impressive physique by itself and Dmitry has in fact done a lot of "bb work" to develop his outstanding physique he seemed shell shocked. I told him it's the truth Dmitry wants to market himself as some sort of Arnold and make it in the world of entertainment, therefor he builds his body with bb.

He seemed really sad

are you for or against it? im not baiting you, you know heaps about it, have you tried it and said "this is fucked"

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 02:28:52 PM »
I thought it was a way for ex-junior-varsity, white athletes who are approaching middle age to diminish the feelings of inferiority they get after Monday night football ???