Author Topic: Ultimate Warrior to be inducted to WWE HOF  (Read 10881 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Ultimate Warrior to be inducted to WWE HOF
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 05:15:08 PM »
Work rate wise, Warrior is one of the LAST people who belong in a HOF. However, he was a HUGE draw and that makes sense enough to induct him in.
Warrior was over but he just could not carry the ball and ratings dropped which is exactly why they put the title back on hogan.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »
Warrior was over but he just could not carry the ball and ratings dropped which is exactly why they put the title back on hogan.

Had Ultimate Jimmy just been willing to learn and improve, he may have lasted longer - and even taken over the company from Hogan. But, he thought he was already the best and perfect, so he made no effort, remained one-dimensional, and fizzled out fast.

Piss on him.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 05:22:08 PM »

Had Ultimate Jimmy just been willing to learn and improve, he may have lasted longer - and even taken over the company from Hogan. But, he thought he was already the best and perfect, so he made no effort, remained one-dimensional, and fizzled out fast.

Piss on him.
lol..yes...the one thing I do like about warrior is that he is one of very very few who wasnt taken by vince and banged vince out of money.Vince deserved it after he raided the territories.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 06:03:15 PM »
I have said it before and I will say it again:

the ratings dropped because when warrior became champion he went from exciting feuds as IC champ to a crappy program with rude (whom he already destroyed) and then entered a million 6 man tag matches with LOD and Demoltion.

thats it

the booking of his matches/opponents as world champ sucked.

4 months of tag matches?

of course the fans wouldn't care.

they should have had him continue his feud with Hogan or at least put him up against some one, you know, NEW.

Flower Boy Ran Away

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 01:44:20 AM »

the ratings dropped because when warrior became champion he went from exciting feuds as IC champ to a crappy program with rude (whom he already destroyed) and then entered a million 6 man tag matches with LOD and Demoltion.

thats it

4 months of tag matches?

they should have had him continue his feud with Hogan or at least put him up against some one, you know, NEW.

True, but like Hogan, there was only so much you could do with him.

They fed Hogan one heel after another, and there was seldom a part II to those feuds. Eventually, you run out of top caliber challengers. Champions like Flair could revisit feuds over and over. Hulk and Jim were locked into a dreaded paradigm - and not entirely through their own fault.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »

thats it

4 months of tag matches?

Sorry but no way Warrior drew. Warrior was good...but not that good. He simply couldn't put butts in seats.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »
Sorry but no way Warrior drew. Warrior was good...but not that good. He simply couldn't put butts in seats.

Bro, we were crushed at work! I'll look over what you sent me this weekend. I'm working OT tomorrow, but I'll get to it eventually.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 05:06:34 PM »

Bro, we were crushed at work! I'll look over what you sent me this weekend. I'm working OT tomorrow, but I'll get to it eventually.
gotcha. Read the Benoit article. A good read..

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »

not at all and even the degrogatory WWE DVD admits warrior was 'drawing well'
 as world champ (Sgt. Slaughter says this). at least until he started the 4 months of tag matches with LOD.

in my area, he would often main event house shows and the events sold well.

I saw him face andre in a cage, a tag match with kerry von erich vs rude and mr perfect etc. etc.

warrior failed because of the booking. the man connected with the fans like no one other than Hogan.

watch any warrior match from 1989 and see. it was insane how over he was.
Flower Boy Ran Away

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 08:41:13 PM »
I think the only 2 times i ever marked for him was when he beat Rude in the steel cage match and when he returned at WM8. Hell i still watch that entrance and react the same way i did as a kid ha ha. He drew better than some would give him credit for, but not as well as the company had hoped. Excellent analysis regarding the booking, it killed him quicker than his 1 dimensional approach to wrestling.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 11:16:26 AM »
Long overdue.  He left his mark in the WWE and was a huge fan favorite back in the day despite his controversy with Vince.
i always wondered if the thought crossed VKM's mind to paint up kerry von erich to take the warrior's place the night hellwig took the wwe hostage at summer slam. after all he dressed up a guy and tried to palm him offf as jimmy sf snuka, and who can forget the diesel razor ramon caper.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 11:18:14 AM »
 ;D
F

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »
For all Chris was, Fritz would have probably been better off just masturbating that night. The Danny de Vito to Kerry's Arnold.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2014, 12:22:07 PM »

I know that not everyone subscribes to the "asses-in-seats" standard.

I certainly do.

In my mind, there's ring work, mic work, and "popularity" work. If you're in the most demand of the fans, then you're doing something better than everybody else in that locker room. Smarks will argue til blue in the face that HBK was the best worker, while a promoter will tell you that Hogan was a better worker because he drew much better business (WWF's bleakest financial years were when Shawn was in the driver's seat).

It's two different perspectives. I don't think that one carries more weight than the other, and I don't think that either should be neglected.

Those years were bleak in great part to the mass exodus to WCW.

The irony was that those parodies of "Billionaire Ted" wanting all those 'New Generation" WWF superstars proved prophetic. He actually got them, lots of them.

- Razor Ramon
- Diesel
- Dibiase
- 1-2-3 Kid
- Ultimate Warrior (got fired)
- Mr. Perfect

And who did WWF get?

- (The man they call) Vader
- "Wildman" Marc Mero
- Faarooq Asaad
- Psycho Sid (to replace Warrior)
- Rocky Maivia
- Mankind
- Doug Furnas & Phil Lafon
- "Razor Ramon"
- "Diesel"

Boy did McMahon get the short end of the deal there.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »
For all Chris was, Fritz would have probably been better off just masturbating that night. The Danny de Vito to Kerry's Arnold.

I listened to a recent Kevin von Erich interview where he raved about how "explosive" Chris Von Erich was and I almost choked on my food in disbelief.

Kevin is still workin most interviews to this very day.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2014, 01:15:31 PM »
Those years were bleak in great part to the mass exodus to WCW.

The irony was that those parodies of "Billionaire Ted" wanting all those 'New Generation" WWF superstars proved prophetic. He actually got them, lots of them.

- Razor Ramon
- Diesel
- Dibiase
- 1-2-3 Kid
- Ultimate Warrior (got fired)
- Mr. Perfect

And who did WWF get?

- (The man they call) Vader
- "Wildman" Marc Mero
- Faarooq Asaad
- Psycho Sid (to replace Warrior)
- Rocky Maivia
- Mankind
- Doug Furnas & Phil Lafon
- "Razor Ramon"
- "Diesel"

Boy did McMahon get the short end of the deal there.

Nash & Hall became game changers back in WCW, Syxx was irrelevant wherever he went, Dibiase was finished long before he left, Warrior did fuck all and Hennig was horrifically misused much like most of the WCW talent.

Sid was ok back in those days, Vader was buried, Mero had next to no impact for me, Farooq was an important cog in building WWF back up as leader of the Nation,  Mankind overachieved considerably and Rock changed the game with Austin.

WCW should have been the ones to buy out Vince but they managed to completely bollox up the leverage they had and had nobody but themselves to blame.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2014, 02:53:06 PM »
Nash & Hall became game changers back in WCW, Syxx was irrelevant wherever he went, Dibiase was finished long before he left, Warrior did fuck all and Hennig was horrifically misused much like most of the WCW talent.

Sid was ok back in those days, Vader was buried, Mero had next to no impact for me, Farooq was an important cog in building WWF back up as leader of the Nation,  Mankind overachieved considerably and Rock changed the game with Austin.

WCW should have been the ones to buy out Vince but they managed to completely bollox up the leverage they had and had nobody but themselves to blame.

Everybody bitches about WCW's misuse of Bret, but I consider what they did with Hennig to be a far bigger shame.

Bischoff apparently had some big plans for Hellwig but of course those never saw the light of day. He wanted to to update Jim's look with silver and black gear and face paint. It would have been interesting. I think eric had some very good ideas. Turner's company tanked because there were too many people put in charge of things they had no business running.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 03:48:02 PM »
Hennigs greatest achievement in WCW was applying the PP to The Giant. A singing cowboy with Virgil FFS?! Damned shame, fuck you Ted Turner and everything you have helped to create.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 03:57:47 PM »
Hennigs greatest achievement in WCW was applying the PP to The Giant. A singing cowboy with Virgil FFS?! Damned shame, fuck you Ted Turner and everything you have helped to create.

Curt hit the plex on Big Show a couple of times in the Fed, too. In my book, he was the best all around performer ever in the business.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 05:28:48 PM »

Curt hit the plex on Big Show a couple of times in the Fed, too. In my book, he was the best all around performer ever in the business.
WCW had such good talent...sad shit. Creative control killed it all. Poor booking and bullshit.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 09:06:18 PM »

Everybody bitches about WCW's misuse of Bret, but I consider what they did with Hennig to be a far bigger shame.

Bischoff apparently had some big plans for Hellwig but of course those never saw the light of day. He wanted to to update Jim's look with silver and black gear and face paint. It would have been interesting. I think eric had some very good ideas. Turner's company tanked because there were too many people put in charge of things they had no business running.

You hit the nail on the head.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 05:44:20 AM »
I listened to a recent Kevin von Erich interview where he raved about how "explosive" Chris Von Erich was and I almost choked on my food in disbelief.

Kevin is still workin most interviews to this very day.

He seems to be ALL about the business, as the last of their dynasty he wont undersell anything the VE's ever did. Admirable trait in this day in age.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 03:22:28 PM »
 as world champ (Sgt. Slaughter says this). at least until he started the 4 months of tag matches with LOD.

I saw him face andre in a cage, a tag match with kerry von erich vs rude and mr perfect etc. etc.

warrior failed because of the booking. the man connected with the fans like no one other than Hogan.

oh I agree..he was crazy over and one of the best builds in the business. His gym commitments are amazing.

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2014, 04:51:47 PM »

What I remember killing Warrior's momentum back in the day was the booking as well.  After he won the title, he was booked EXACTLY like Hogan; show some power moves in the beginning, then get beat nearly to death, only to hulk up and crush his opponent at the end.  As IC champ, he DESTROYED everyone they put in the ring with him, with guys like Rude selling him to the end of time.  First match of Warrior's I remember as WWF Champ was on SNME against DiBiase, if I recall correctly.  Dibiase controlled the whole match, and I thought, "what's going on!?"  He also stopped using the press slam, changing his end move to the flying shoulder tackle, which was cool, but not as cool as the press slam.  Basically, IMO, they neutered the character after he won the strap.  Savage made him look good in their feud, though.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2014, 06:39:45 PM »
  What I remember killing Warrior's momentum back in the day was the booking as well.  After he won the title, he was booked EXACTLY like Hogan; show some power moves in the beginning, then get beat nearly to death, only to hulk up and crush his opponent at the end.  As IC champ, he DESTROYED everyone they put in the ring with him, with guys like Rude selling him to the end of time.  First match of Warrior's I remember as WWF Champ was on SNME against DiBiase, if I recall correctly.  Dibiase controlled the whole match, and I thought, "what's going on!?"  He also stopped using the press slam, changing his end move to the flying shoulder tackle, which was cool, but not as cool as the press slam.  Basically, IMO, they neutered the character after he won the strap.  Savage made him look good in their feud, though.

agreed. instead of three punches big boot legdrop ala Hogan

it became clothesline x3, flying tackle and big splash.

Flower Boy Ran Away