Author Topic: Presidential Candidates 2016: 10 Democrats Who Might Be the Next Nominee  (Read 111167 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
 :'(

CNN: White House Prep for Hillary Run a Slap at Biden
Wednesday, 19 Mar 2014
By Melanie Batley

Vice President Joe Biden just wants "a little respect" when it comes to the White House's possible public involvement in aiding Hillary Clinton in a bid for the presidency in 2016, CNN political reporter Peter Hamby says.

On CNN's "Inside Politics" segment Wednesday, Hamby reflected on how Biden may perceive news in The Wall Street Journal that John Podesta, a senior aide to President Barack Obama, has said he wants to begin a set of regular conversations among Clinton's top aides aimed at mapping out a possible White House run.

"Isn't that a slap at the vice president?" CNN anchor John King asked.

"It certainly seems like it," Hamby said. "This is heads exploding in the vice president's office."

Hamby added that other White House officials, including Jim Messina, the former White House Deputy Chief of Staff and campaign manager for Obama in 2012, have recently left the White House to prepare for a possible Clinton run in 2016.

Biden has said he has not decided whether to run in 2016, but he told CNN last month "There's no obvious reason for me why I think I should not run,"  and many believe he will throw his hat into the ring for the Democratic nomination.

Polls indicate that Biden would come in a distant second in a matchup with Clinton. A February Washington Post/ABC News poll, for example, showed Clinton leading at 73 percent compared to 12 percent for Biden.

In an interview last month with Politico Magazine, Biden spoke openly about falling out of favor with Obama after he made remarks about gay marriage before the president was ready to announce his own change of views.

The article also detailed Biden's experience of being excluded from the inner circle by the president's top aides, and said that the vice president's team was disgruntled that the White House didn't strongly refute rumors that Clinton would be selected to replace Biden in Obama's second term.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Hillary-Clinton-Joe-Biden-president/2014/03/19/id/560525#ixzz2wQnFx1m4

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Poll: Warren and Clinton hot; Christie cools off
Posted by
CNN Political Unit

(CNN) - Freshman Sen. Elizabeth Warren is the hottest politician in the country right now, according to a new national poll.

The latest edition of Quinnipiac University's National Thermometer, released Thursday, also indicates that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton remains hot, with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is cooling off.

The poll asks voters nationwide to rate their feelings towards political leaders by choosing any number between 0 to 100, with the higher the number, the warmer or more favorable voters feel about that political leader.

Topping Quinnipiac's latest thermometer is Warren, with a mean temperature of 48.6 degrees. But nearly half of those questioned did not know enough about the Democratic senator from Massachusetts to form an opinion. Warren, a favorite with many in the progressive wing of the Democratic party, has said she won't run for President in 2016.

Recognition not a problem when it comes to Hillary Clinton, as only one percent didn't know enough about her to form an opinion. The former secretary of state, who's seriously considering a second run for the Democratic presidential nomination, came in second at 47.8 degrees.

Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, the 2012 GOP vice presidential nominee, was third, at 47.4 degrees, followed by two Republican governors, Bobby Jindal of Louisiana at 47.1 degrees and Wisconsin's Scott Walker at 46.6 degrees. GOP Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida was in sixth place at 46.3 degrees, followed by 2008 Republican presidential candidate and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee at 46.1 degrees and GOP Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky at 45.7 degrees.

Christie, the GOP governor of New Jersey, who along with the above mentioned Republicans, is mulling a 2016 bid for the White House, came in ninth at 45.2 degrees. That's down from 55.5 degrees in Quinnipiac's early January poll, which Christie topped.

That January survey came out just as the George Washington Bridge controversy was beginning to grab national headlines. Garden State lawmakers and the U.S. Attorney's Office are looking into allegations that top Christie appointees orchestrated traffic jams last September by closing access lanes to the nation's busiest bridge in Fort Lee, New Jersey, to politically punish that town's mayor for not endorsing the governor's 2013 re-election.

Christie has denied knowing anything about the gridlock until after it occurred, and has said he knew nothing about any political mischief by members of his administration. Last week a review commissioned by Christie's administration cleared the New Jersey governor of any wrongdoing in the bridge controversy, which has put a cloud over his political future.

The Quinnipiac University poll was conducted March 26-31, with 1,578 registered voters nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 2.5 percentage points.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/04/03/poll-warren-clinton-hot-christie-cools-off/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Hillary struggles to list accomplishments during tenure as Secretary of State
April 4, 2014 | Joe Schoffstall

On April 3, 2014, Hillary Clinton spoke at the Women of the World Summit in New York City and was asked what she was most proud of during her tenure as Secretary of State. Clinton could not provide any concrete examples of the accomplishments she holds in high regard.

“When you look at your time as Secretary of State, what are you most proud of? And what do you feel was unfinished, and maybe have another crack at one day?” the moderator asks.

“Well, I really see — that was good — that’s why he wins prizes. Look, I really see my role as Secretary, in fact leadership in general in a democracy, as a relay race. When you run the best race you can run, you hand off the baton. Some of what hasn’t been finished may go on to be finished, so when President Obama asked me to be Secretary of State I agreed,” Clinton responded.

She continued, “We had the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, we had two wars. We had continuing threats from all kinds of corners around the world that we had to deal with. So it was a perilous time frankly. What he said to me was, ‘Look, I have to be dealing with the economic crisis, I want you to go out and represent us around the world.’ And it was a good division of labor because we needed to make it clear to the rest of the world, that we were going to get our house in order. We were going to stimulate, and grow, and get back to positive growth and work with our friends and partners.”

Clinton went on to say that she’s proud of the solid leadership from the administration and that they have restored American leadership in the best sense.

“So I think we did that. I’m very proud of the stabilization and the really solid leadership that the administration provided that I think now, leads us to be able to deal with problems like Ukraine because we’re not so worried about a massive collapse in Europe and China — trying to figure out to do with all their bond holdings and all the problems we were obsessed with. I think we really restored American leadership in the best sense. That, once again — people began to rely on us as setting the values, setting the standards. I just don’t want to lose that because we have a dysfunctional political situation in Washington. Then of course, a lot of particulars, but I am finishing my book so you’ll be able to read all about it.”

http://capitolcityproject.com/hillary-struggles-list-accomplishments-secretary-state-tenure/

:D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Hillary struggles to list accomplishments during tenure as Secretary of State
April 4, 2014 | Joe Schoffstall

On April 3, 2014, Hillary Clinton spoke at the Women of the World Summit in New York City and was asked what she was most proud of during her tenure as Secretary of State. Clinton could not provide any concrete examples of the accomplishments she holds in high regard.

“When you look at your time as Secretary of State, what are you most proud of? And what do you feel was unfinished, and maybe have another crack at one day?” the moderator asks.

“Well, I really see — that was good — that’s why he wins prizes. Look, I really see my role as Secretary, in fact leadership in general in a democracy, as a relay race. When you run the best race you can run, you hand off the baton. Some of what hasn’t been finished may go on to be finished, so when President Obama asked me to be Secretary of State I agreed,” Clinton responded.

She continued, “We had the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, we had two wars. We had continuing threats from all kinds of corners around the world that we had to deal with. So it was a perilous time frankly. What he said to me was, ‘Look, I have to be dealing with the economic crisis, I want you to go out and represent us around the world.’ And it was a good division of labor because we needed to make it clear to the rest of the world, that we were going to get our house in order. We were going to stimulate, and grow, and get back to positive growth and work with our friends and partners.”

Clinton went on to say that she’s proud of the solid leadership from the administration and that they have restored American leadership in the best sense.

“So I think we did that. I’m very proud of the stabilization and the really solid leadership that the administration provided that I think now, leads us to be able to deal with problems like Ukraine because we’re not so worried about a massive collapse in Europe and China — trying to figure out to do with all their bond holdings and all the problems we were obsessed with. I think we really restored American leadership in the best sense. That, once again — people began to rely on us as setting the values, setting the standards. I just don’t want to lose that because we have a dysfunctional political situation in Washington. Then of course, a lot of particulars, but I am finishing my book so you’ll be able to read all about it.”

http://capitolcityproject.com/hillary-struggles-list-accomplishments-secretary-state-tenure/

:D

Morning Joe Panel Can’t Come Up with Hillary Achievement
by KEITH KOFFLER on APRIL 10, 2014

Uh oh. Morning Joe often includes some of the best political minds around.

AND THEY CAN’T COME UP WITH ANYTHING HILLARY HAS DONE EITHER!

Were Mrs. Clinton a Republican, she’d be getting called an empty suit, albeit a well-traveled one.

One panelist even suggests that she’ll have to reveal her big achievement in her upcoming book, which is to be published in June.

As if her terms as senator and Secretary of State were carried out in secret!

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2014/04/10/morning-joe-panel-hillary-achievement/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Pro-Hillary Clinton Super PAC Raises Almost $6M
Thursday, 10 Apr 2014

A super PAC urging Hillary Rodham Clinton to run for president says it raised $1.7 million in the first three months of the year, almost all of it from small-dollar donors.

Ready for Hillary on Thursday said more than 22,000 new donors gave money to the self-designated Clinton support network between Jan. 1 and March 31. The average contribution was $53, and 98 percent of it was $100 or less.

Ready for Hillary has been collecting names of those who would support Clinton if she runs in 2016. The super PAC has been focused on building buzz by lining up donors, as others have done.

Since its launch, Ready for Hillary has raised $5.75 million.

The group is independent of a campaign Clinton would launch if she decides to run.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/hillary-Clinton-super-pac-raises/2014/04/10/id/564754#ixzz2yVKNvFKq

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
2016 Watch: O'Malley heads to Nevada
Posted by
CNN's Ashley Killough and CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser

(CNN) - Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley will headline a Democratic event next month in Nevada, a state that draws potential White House candidates as it's the first western state to vote in the primary and caucus calendar.

The Democratic governor will give the keynote speech at the 2014 Clark County Democratic Party Jefferson-Jackson Dinner in Las Vegas on May 2, the Nevada Democratic Party announced Monday.

While O'Malley has said he's focused on his last year as governor, he's also weighing a presidential run and has said he's preparing the "ground work" for a potential campaign.

O'Malley has visited other crucial primary states in the past year, including New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Hillary Clinton's understudy waits in the wings

If he runs for president - and Hillary Clinton runs as well - the Maryland governor could find himself far behind the former secretary of state, recent public opinion polls show.

According to a CNN/ORC International poll released last month, 64% of Democrats and independents who lean Democratic nationwide said they would back Clinton for the Democratic nomination, while only 4 % said they would support O'Malley.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/04/14/2016-watch-omalley-heads-to-nevada/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Video || Epic Diss! Obama Won’t Endorse Biden as Biden Looks On
by KEITH KOFFLER on APRIL 17, 2014

This is absurd. The man says, right in front of Biden, that he can’t support him.

Take a look at this. It’s completely ungracious. Now, don’t get me wrong, the Joe Biden who sneered and laughed his way through his debate with Paul Ryan, who suggested Republicans are so racist they want to re-enslave African Americans, deserves nobody’s graciousness.

But from President Obama’s perspective, Vice President Biden is the man who has been with him every day, been in on almost every meeting and decision, and been loyal and docile toward him as a chocolate labrador. Sure, he makes mistakes, but that’s not his fault. He was born a nincompoop.

To actually say, with Biden standing there, that “we’ve got an extraordinary secretary of state” who might also run suggests previously unknown degrees of coldness of blood.

From an interview by CBS White House correspondent Major Garrett:

I’ve got somebody who I think will go down as one of the finest vice presidents in history, and he has been . . .  a great partner in everything that I do. I suspect that there may be other potential candidates for 2016 who have been great friends and allies. I know that we’ve got an extraordinary secretary of state who did great service for us and worked with me and Joe to help make the country safer.

Whoever the Democratic standard bearer is, is going to be continuing to focus on jobs, making sure that our kids are getting a great education, making sure that we’re rebuilding prosperity from the middle class out in this country – and I am very much interested in making sure that some of the stuff we’ve gotten started continues.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2014/04/17/video-ultimate-diss-obama-endorse-biden/

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Hillarious that neither that panel of lib 'political analysts' nor HILLARY HERSELF could even come up with any answers.

I mean that just speaks volumes, doesnt it?

Of course none of it even matters at all. Hillary could strangle a puppy to death on the white house lawn and the media would just admire how 'humane' she was at killing it..and her ratings and her fanbase would be unchanged.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Hillarious that neither that panel of lib 'political analysts' nor HILLARY HERSELF could even come up with any answers.

I mean that just speaks volumes, doesnt it?

Of course none of it even matters at all. Hillary could strangle a puppy to death on the white house lawn and the media would just admire how 'humane' she was at killing it..and her ratings and her fanbase would be unchanged.

lol.  True. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Why Elizabeth Warren should run for president
BY BYRON YORK | APRIL 24, 2014

Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren is starting a publicity tour for her new campaign-style book, A Fighting Chance. As she talks to the press, Warren is repeating previous statements that she will not run for president in 2016. But her denials aren't really denials, and her party's unique presidential circumstances give Warren plenty of room to run. Judging by what she has said publicly, there's no reason to rule out a Warren candidacy.

First, the non-denial denials. This week ABC's David Muir asked Warren, "Are you going to run for president?" Warren's response was, "I'm not running for president."

That's the oldest lawyerly evasion in the book. Warren, a former law professor, did not say, "I am not going to run for president." Instead, she said she is "not running," which could, in some sense, be true when she spoke the words but no longer true by, say, later this year.

Muir tried again: "There's nothing that could change your mind?"

"David, like I said, I'm not running for president."

Muir also asked Warren about the dominant frontrunner in the Democratic race. "Do you think Hillary Clinton would make a good president?"

"I think Hillary Clinton is terrific," Warren said, which is no way answered the question. Then Warren added, "We've got to stay focused on these issues right now," which sounded very much like something a candidate might say.

The bottom line is that Warren's statements are entirely consistent with someone who is planning to announce a presidential candidacy later this year. Maybe she will, maybe she won't. But she ruled nothing out.

And why shouldn't she run? With Clinton 50-plus points ahead of any other potential candidate, it's an understatement to say the Democratic Party has put all its presidential eggs in one basket. Unless it's an incumbent seeking re-election, that's never a good idea. So here are five reasons — there are probably more — why Warren should make a 2016 run for the White House.

1. Life is unpredictable. Clinton will be 69 years old on inauguration day 2017, nearly the oldest president ever. She has had a few health scares. By all accounts, she left her previous four-year stint in government service exhausted. She might not run, and the Democrat in second place in the polls, Vice President Joe Biden -- 74 on inauguration day -- is too old to be president. Beyond them, Democrats have nobody -- except Elizabeth Warren.

2. Parties need competition. The primary process isn't just to allow voters to pick a nominee. It's for the candidates to become better candidates. The rigors of campaigning, the day-to-day jostle with competitors and the stress of high-profile debates all make candidates better. Conversely, a cakewalk through the primaries could leave a nominee in poor fighting shape for a general election. Warren would make Clinton a better candidate, and vice-versa.

3. The Left wants a hero. Clinton has never really excited the most liberal wing of the Democratic Party. They see her as an overcautious centrist like her husband, and on top of that, many have never forgiven her for voting to authorize the war in Iraq. Warren, on the other hand, has thrilled the Left with her attacks on inequality, plutocrats and big financial institutions.

4. Hillary ran a dumb campaign in 2008 and might do so again. For a group of seasoned veterans, the 2008 Clinton campaign showed a stunning ignorance of how to win delegates in a Democratic contest. Rival Barack Obama exploited that weakness brilliantly. For example, Obama collected more net delegates by winning the Idaho caucuses, with 21,000 participants, than Clinton did by winning the New Jersey primary, with more than 1 million voters. Clinton just didn't pay attention to the smaller stuff, particularly the caucuses, and her cluelessness helped Obama win. It might help another rival in 2016.

5. One more time: Life is unpredictable. This is Warren's only chance to run. She will be 67 on Inauguration Day 2017. (Has any party ever fielded a group as old as Clinton, Biden and Warren?) A run in 2020 or later is out of the question. Hillary, now struggling to define her legacy as Secretary of State, is running on pure entitlement. The only thing about her candidacy that truly excites the Democratic base is that she would be the first woman president. Of course, that applies to Elizabeth Warren, too. And Warren would present a far fresher face to voters than Clinton, who has been in the national spotlight since 1992.

Yes, Warren is far back in the polls, but so was Obama in 2007. At some point, Democrats are going to realize the precariousness of their unthinking devotion to a single, flawed candidate. Elizabeth Warren could remind them there's someone else to vote for.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/why-elizabeth-warren-should-run-for-president/article/2547688

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
First on CNN: O'Malley to mingle with 2016 players at D.C. fundraiser
Posted by
CNN National Political Reporter Peter Hamby

Washington (CNN) - Martin O’Malley will mingle with a handful of early primary state power brokers next week at a closed-door Washington fundraiser for a top South Carolina Democrat.

The Maryland governor, who has been candid about his inclination to seek the Democratic presidential nomination in 2016, has signed on to co-host the May 14 Capitol Hill fundraiser for South Carolina lieutenant governor candidate Bakari Sellers, a Democratic source in the state told CNN.

Sellers, a 29-year-old African-American state legislator, is the son of a local civil rights legend and an up-and-comer in state Democratic politics. He also worked for Barack Obama’s victorious 2008 primary effort in South Carolina, one of the four leadoff presidential nominating states. In other words, he’s precisely the kind of person a potential candidate would like to have on his (or her) side in a primary campaign.

But O’Malley will also have the chance to connect with several other South Carolina Democratic notables on the host committee, including former Gov. Jim Hodges, state party chairman Jaime Harrison, former Obama administration official Anton Gunn and Yelberton Watkins, the chief of staff to Rep. James Clyburn.

Al From, the founder of the centrist Democratic Leadership Council and a longtime associate of former President Bill Clinton, is also slated to attend the cocktail fundraiser, which will be held at the Capitol Hill home of Democratic political strategist John Jameson.

O’Malley, who has maintained a busy travel schedule campaigning for Democratic gubernatorial candidates this election cycle, will be in South Carolina later this week, attending his daughter’s college graduation and holding a campaign event with Vincent Sheheen, the state’s Democratic nominee for governor.

Vice President Joe Biden will also visit South Carolina on Friday, delivering the University of South Carolina commencement speech and squeezing in a fundraiser for the state Democratic Party.

If O’Malley decides to seek the Democratic nomination in 2016 against former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, or Biden, he would enter the race as an underdog.

But at this stage of the so-called invisible primary, O’Malley has not been shy about introducing himself to early state power brokers. He’s been far more aggressive than Clinton in courting early primary state activists, officials and donors in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Nevada – and in states that have competitive gubernatorial races in 2014.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/05/07/first-on-cnn-omalley-to-mingle-with-2016-players-at-d-c-fundraiser/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I bet Hillary WON’T run: Former Clinton aide says Hillary's life is so good at present he thinks she won’t take a shot at the White House
Contrary to popular opinion, former White House press secretary to Bill Clinton Mike McCurry thinks Hillary Clinton 'might not run' for president in 2016
I'm probably the ...last person in Washington who'd be willing to take some bet that she might not run,' he said.
McCurry said Hillary could opt to continue her work at the Clinton Foundation rather than go through the hassle of pursuing higher office again
By FRANCESCA CHAMBERS
PUBLISHED: 09:31 EST, 14 May 2014 | UPDATED: 11:48 EST, 14 May 2014

Hillary 2016 is all but a done deal for nearly everyone who follows American politics.

But former White House press secretary to Bill Clinton Mike McCurry says he's not convinced there's going to to another Clinton in on the ballot.

In a segment on Real Clear Politics 'Changing Lanes series, where the news organization interviews influential figures while driving through the nation's Capitol, McCurry said Hillary may opt to continue the work she's doing with the Clinton Foundation instead of pursuing elected office again.

'I'd like to say I'm the only person left - I'm probably in this car the only last person in Washington who'd be willing to take some bet that she might not run,' McCurry told RCP co-founder Tom Bevan and Washington Bureau Chief Carl Cannon.

McCurry said he wasn't sure Hillary would want to go through the hassle of running again at this stage in her life, especially when 'she's doing terrific work' and 'finding other ways to make a contribution.'

'We all know what running for president is like,' McCurry said. 'It's kind of hanging around in Manchester, New Hampshire... at the local Denny's shaking hands with a lot of sometimes less-than-interesting local political people.'

'She's going to do that for the next two and a half years at age 65 when she could be doing all this great stuff on a global stage? I don't know. I think that's why she hasn't said, "I'm doing it." '

Bevan pointed out during the conversation that becoming a grandmother may factor into Hillary's decision, as well.

Hillary may not want to go through the hassle of running for president again at this stage in her life, former White House press secretary to Bill Clinton Mike McCurry says.

Hillary may not want to go through the hassle of running for president again at this stage in her life, former White House press secretary to Bill Clinton Mike McCurry says.

McCurry would not say Hillary would be 'unbeatable' if she did run but said she would be 'fomidable, because among other things, she would do the job very well.'

'I am confident when I say, "Hillary Clinton would be a good president" that she would be,' he said.

The ex-Clinton aide said her believed her qualifications for the job would help Americans get past other aspects of her background they may not appreciate - like her the fact that her husband already occupied the Oval Office and that he got caught occupying it with someone other than his wife.

'I think a real majority of Americans would see that [she would be a good president], even those who sometimes, you know, quarrel with the Clinton family image, or things like that,' he said.

McCurry said Hillary would not be hurt by her husband having already been president because many voters 'were too young' to remember Bill Clinton being president.'

He then admitted everyone in America has probably heard about Bill Clinton's affair with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky, who turned back up in the press this month with an article in Vanity Fair detailing her personal struggles since her affair with the president became public more than 15 years ago.
'Look, let's put it this way. You can't put oral sex and Oval Office in the same sentence without getting the attention of a young person,' McCurry said.
McCurry worked as Bill Clinton's press secretary throughout the time the president was having an affair with Lewinsky until August 4, 1998.

Less than two weeks later, Clinton admitted in a televised address to the nation that he 'did have a relationship with Ms. Lewinsky that was not appropriate.'
McCurry said he didn't think Americans would hold the scandal against Hillary, though.

What young people probably don't remember and ought to is Bill Clinton's accomplishments,' he clarified.

Another factor that could keep Hillary Clinton from running for president is her health, long time adviser to President George W. Bush Karl Rove said this week.
Clinton was hospitalized for several days in 2012 after suffering a blood clot.

'When you go through a health incident like this, any presidential candidate has to ask themselves, "Am I willing to do this for eight years of my life?" ' Rove told Fox News.

He pointed out that if she ran, her health would most definitely be a topic of discussion, as evidenced by the questions previous presidential candidates were asked by reporters.

'She would not be human if it didn't enter into her considerations,' he later told the Washington Post.

Rove told the Post that if Hillary did run, she would need to be more 'forthcoming' about what happened when she had the blood clot.
Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2628189/White-House-press-secretary-Bill-Clinton-not-convinced-theres-going-Hillary-2016-campaign.html#ixzz31i8LfnIW

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
not a bad article.

Hilary *could* just sit back and do nothing, then be selected veep, ten weeks out from the election.

she is worth $200 mil.  Why not sip daquiris and post on getbig all day?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
2016 poll: Clinton's lead shrinks in key state
Posted by
CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser

(CNN) - She's still ahead of the competition, but a new poll in an important presidential battleground state indicates that Hillary Clinton's numbers have slightly deteriorated over the past couple of months.

According to a Quinnipiac University survey of Ohio voters, Clinton remains in the lead over eight potential Republican opponents in hypothetical 2016 presidential election showdowns, but her margins have shrunk.

"Her lead over most of them has dropped considerably since Quinnipiac University surveyed Ohio voters in February," said Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll. "Still Ms. Clinton has the best favorability rating of the group."

The former secretary of state, senator from New York and first lady, has said she'll decide by the end of the year if she'll launch a second bid for the White House. And most of the potential GOP presidential candidates questioned in the survey have also indicated they'll make their decisions sometime after November's midterm elections.

The poll, released Thursday, indicates Clinton leading former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush 48%-39% among registered voters in Ohio. That's down from a 51%-36% lead in February. Clinton leads Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida 47%-40%, down from 50%-36% three months ago. And she tops Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky 49%-41%, down from 51%-38%.

According to the survey, Clinton's ahead of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie 46%-38%, down from 49%-36% in February. She's ahead of Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin 48%-41%. That's slightly down from her 49%-40% advantage over the 2012 GOP vice presidential nominee three months ago. And she tops Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas 51%-37%, down from 51%-34%.

And Clinton has a 47%-42% edge in Ohio over the state's governor, John Kasich, down from 51%-39% in February. She also has a 49%-41% lead over former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee. The 2008 Republican presidential candidate was not tested in Quinnipiac's February poll.

Ohio plays a crucial role in campaign politics. It's a must win battleground state in presidential elections and was the state that put George W. Bush over the top in his 2004 re-election. In modern times, no Republican has ever been elected to the White House without carrying the Buckeye State.

The slight deterioration of Clinton's lead in Ohio matchups is opposite of what Quinnipiac polling found in Florida, another crucial battleground state. A Quinnipiac poll conducted in the Sunshine State earlier this month indicated Clinton's leads over Bush, Rubio, Paul, Christie, Ryan and Cruz had slightly increased since the beginning of the year.

A national survey conducted earlier this month indicated that Clinton was overwhelming frontrunner in the race for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination, but that her support had slightly deteriorated since the beginning of the year.

According to the CNN/ORC International poll, 64% of Democrats and independents who lean towards the party said they most likely would support Clinton, down six percentage points from January, when seven in ten said they'd back Clinton. Nineteen percent said they are likely to support a Democratic presidential candidate who's more conservative than Clinton, up four points from January, with 13% saying they'd back a candidate more liberal than Clinton, up three points from the beginning of the year.

One caveat: With the start of the 2016 primary and caucus calendar still more than a year and a half away, polls at this early stage in a presidential cycle are often influenced by name recognition.

According to the Quinnipiac poll, Buckeye state voters have a 53%-43% favorable opinion of Clinton. Her numbers on this question are basically unchanged from last June. Favorite son Kasich stands at 47% favorable and 29% unfavorable. The ratings for the other possible 2016 Republican White House hopefuls are: Bush (32%-38%); Christie (36%-36%); Paul (38%-29%); Cruz (24%-26%); Huckabee (37%-31%); Ryan (39%-31%); and Rubio (31%-19%).

As for the current resident in the White House, 39% of Ohio voters say they approve of the job President Barack Obama's doing, with 58% saying they disapprove. The President stood at 40%-55% in February.

The Quinnipiac University poll was conducted May 7-12, with 1,174 registered voters in Ohio questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 2.9 percentage points.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/05/15/2016-poll-clintons-lead-shrinks-in-key-state/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Why Hillary's high numbers (even among Republicans!) won't last
By Howard Kurtz
Published May 19, 2014
FoxNews.com

Much of the media is clearly ready for a coronation, but is that related to reality?

Her latest numbers are impressive, but there are reasons to be skeptical.

In a new Reuters/Ipsos poll, “most Americans have a favorable view of former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and think she will win the 2016 presidential election.”

Some 57 percent of Americans “who were aware of Clinton” (isn’t that everyone?) have a favorable opinion, while 43 percent see her negatively. And “nearly one-quarter of Republicans said they had a favorable view of Clinton.” That’s pretty remarkable in a polarized electorate, suggesting a certain crossover appeal.

Clinton was most frequently described as “strong,” but “‘Benghazi’ was the term that stood out most when respondents who said they had an unfavorable view of Clinton were asked to explain this perspective.”

And therein lies the rub.

Hillary is not campaigning now (though she is, sort of) and is largely out of the line of fire (speculation about her health notwithstanding). The moment she gets in the race, she faces a relentless barrage and her numbers start to drop.

Right now, she can go on “The View” and wish Barbara Walters a warm farewell. As a candidate, she’d be asked about health care and Nigeria and Iran and what she accomplished at the State Department.

The fact that people expect her to win the presidency is noteworthy, although two years from now it also casts her, in an odd way, as the incumbent.

Fox’s Charles Krauthammer told Bill O’Reilly that “the Democrats grossly overestimate how popular Hillary is. She may be popular with some of them, she may be popular with a lot of them. But they assume it’s going to apply to the country. I think not.”

Referring to her description of her time at Foggy Bottom as a relay race, Krauthammer said the strongest thing she can say is “‘that I passed the baton.’ Now, I’ve never been to the Track and Field Hall of Fame, but I can assure you that there is not a single plaque that reads, ‘He passed the baton.’”

I suspect the former secretary will have more to say than that. But she’ll also face the difficulty of separating herself from the Obama administration without turning her back on the president who hired her.

So is there any way she’s not the Democratic nominee?

“The reality is that if nothing extraordinary happens, the only person who could keep Hillary Clinton from being the party's nominee would be Clinton herself,” says The Washington Post’s Chris Cillizza. “While we -- and virtually everyone else in the political world -- have begun to take her candidacy as a foregone conclusion, no one in her real inner circle is talking -- meaning that she almost certainly hasn't made the final go/no-go decision. So, what could keep her from running? 

“For all the sturm und drang caused by the insinuations made  by Karl Rove regarding Clinton's health scare in late 2012, a blood clot on the brain is a serious thing and even Clinton allies acknowledge it was not insignificant. Bill Clinton insisted this week that his wife is in "better shape" than he is and her aides say she has an absolutely clean bill of health. But Clinton would be 69 years old on election day 2016, and couple her age with that scare in late 2012 and it's hard to imagine Clinton not taking a full accounting of her health before officially deciding to run. Possible that such an accounting leads Clinton to take a pass? Yes. Likely? No.”

Put me down in the Extremely Unlikely camp. An awful lot of Hillary’s friends have come on board in the belief that she is the candidate-in-waiting.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/19/why-hillary-high-numbers-even-among-republicans-wont-last/?intcmp=latestnews

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Former Va. senator James Webb says he’s considering presidential bid
By Rosalind S. Helderman, Published: May 19, 2014

Former Virginia senator James Webb, a Democrat who was elected to the Senate in 2006 on the strength of his record as a combat veteran who opposed the Iraq War, said in a radio interview Monday that he is thinking about running for president.

Appearing on the “Diane Rehm Show” on WAMU to discuss a newly published memoir, Webb, a prolific author, Vietnam veteran and former secretary of the Navy, said he is concerned about the direction of U.S. foreign policy and is looking for a way to reengage in the national debate.

“My wife and I are just thinking about what to do next. I care a lot about where the country is, and we’ll be sorting that out,” he told guest host Susan Page when she asked whether he was considering a 2016 run.

Noting that he did not decide to challenge then-incumbent Republican Sen. George Allen (Va.) in 2006 until nine months before the November election, he added, “It takes me a while to decide things. I’m not going to say one way or the other.”

He said he was concerned that on foreign policy, the nation is now “bouncing from issue to issue without a clear articulation of what the national security interest of the United States actually is.” At the same time, he said, he is worried by the growing gap between the rich and poor, which he said could be addressed through better leadership in Washington.

Webb’s comments took the political establishment in Virginia and beyond by surprise.

Since declining to run for reelection to the Senate in 2012 after serving only a single term in office, Webb has largely disappeared from the political scene.

He spent little time in office or since leaving it nurturing the kind of political connections that would be needed to run for president, particularly to challenge the kind of fundraising and organizing juggernaut that would be available to former secretary of state Hillary Clinton.

And Webb never relished the superficiality of the campaign trail, which he might find even more pronounced at the presidential level than in the Senate.

Still, Webb, 68, is considered an especially independent-minded maverick.

He served in the administration of President Ronald Reagan before running for the Senate as a Democrat. A highly decorated former Marine, he exchanged sharp words about the Iraq War at the White House with President George W. Bush shortly after his election to the Senate.

People close to him said he would not have opened the door to a possible run if he were not thinking about it seriously.

“I don’t think Jim Webb says anything just to get attention. He’s not that kind of person,” said Jessica Vanden Berg, a former senior adviser to Webb who served as his campaign manager in 2006. “I think he is trying to figure out how to get his view points out.”

She said Webb could help focus the race on issues of economic populism and fairness, a frequent topic of his writings and speeches since before his election to the Senate. He has pushed Democrats to reconnect with white working class communities that have grown culturally suspicious of the party.

His latest book, “I Heard My Country Calling,” recounts his childhood, including his father’s roots in Appalachia and his mother’s background growing up in poverty in Arkansas.

“He can go to places like Kentucky, Arkansas, places where Democrats need help — he appeals to people there because of his background,” Vanden Berg said. “He’s a huge asset to the Democratic party.”

In the Senate, he focused on prison reform and strengthening U.S. ties with Asia. He championed an update to the G.I. Bill, to help veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan with educational benefits.

Steve Jarding, a political consultant who advised his 2006 effort, said Webb could make an intriguing alternative to Clinton.

“There’s a rather strong itch out there for someone who will tell it like it is, putting politics aside — almost detesting the politics,” he said. “Hillary Clinton is as qualified as anyone who’s run who is not an incumbent ... and yet, there will always be people looking for an alternative.”

Webb has spent less time preparing for a race than other Democrats who have acknowledged thinking about running, including Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley and former Montana governor Brian Schweitzer.

However, Webb appeared at a veterans gala in the key early primary state of New Hampshire on Saturday.

One Virginia Democrat said he finds it hard to believe that Webb has the stomach for a campaign.

“When I think about presidential politics and the complete pandering, debasing roadshow that’s required, I can make many of the issues Webb is interested in fit and work,” he said, but added: “I’m not sure I can make the personality fit.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/former-va-senator-james-webb-says-hes-considering-presidential-bid/2014/05/19/9f3db7b8-df7f-11e3-8dcc-d6b7fede081a_story.html?hpid=z4

240 is Back

• Getbig V
webb could probably be the best thign the dems have running.

the hatchet job that rove is pulling on hilary lol... she'll have to submit to a public CT scan before the fox pundits shut up lol.

so funny.... mccain was literally wearing huge head bandages to rallies and repubs never asked a thing lol.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
webb could probably be the best thign the dems have running.

the hatchet job that rove is pulling on hilary lol... she'll have to submit to a public CT scan before the fox pundits shut up lol.

so funny.... mccain was literally wearing huge head bandages to rallies and repubs never asked a thing lol.

;D

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Why Elizabeth Warren should run for president
BY BYRON YORK | APRIL 24, 2014

Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren is starting a publicity tour for her new campaign-style book, A Fighting Chance. As she talks to the press, Warren is repeating previous statements that she will not run for president in 2016. But her denials aren't really denials, and her party's unique presidential circumstances give Warren plenty of room to run. Judging by what she has said publicly, there's no reason to rule out a Warren candidacy.

First, the non-denial denials. This week ABC's David Muir asked Warren, "Are you going to run for president?" Warren's response was, "I'm not running for president."

That's the oldest lawyerly evasion in the book. Warren, a former law professor, did not say, "I am not going to run for president." Instead, she said she is "not running," which could, in some sense, be true when she spoke the words but no longer true by, say, later this year.

Muir tried again: "There's nothing that could change your mind?"

"David, like I said, I'm not running for president."

Muir also asked Warren about the dominant frontrunner in the Democratic race. "Do you think Hillary Clinton would make a good president?"

"I think Hillary Clinton is terrific," Warren said, which is no way answered the question. Then Warren added, "We've got to stay focused on these issues right now," which sounded very much like something a candidate might say.

The bottom line is that Warren's statements are entirely consistent with someone who is planning to announce a presidential candidacy later this year. Maybe she will, maybe she won't. But she ruled nothing out.

And why shouldn't she run? With Clinton 50-plus points ahead of any other potential candidate, it's an understatement to say the Democratic Party has put all its presidential eggs in one basket. Unless it's an incumbent seeking re-election, that's never a good idea. So here are five reasons — there are probably more — why Warren should make a 2016 run for the White House.

1. Life is unpredictable. Clinton will be 69 years old on inauguration day 2017, nearly the oldest president ever. She has had a few health scares. By all accounts, she left her previous four-year stint in government service exhausted. She might not run, and the Democrat in second place in the polls, Vice President Joe Biden -- 74 on inauguration day -- is too old to be president. Beyond them, Democrats have nobody -- except Elizabeth Warren.

2. Parties need competition. The primary process isn't just to allow voters to pick a nominee. It's for the candidates to become better candidates. The rigors of campaigning, the day-to-day jostle with competitors and the stress of high-profile debates all make candidates better. Conversely, a cakewalk through the primaries could leave a nominee in poor fighting shape for a general election. Warren would make Clinton a better candidate, and vice-versa.

3. The Left wants a hero. Clinton has never really excited the most liberal wing of the Democratic Party. They see her as an overcautious centrist like her husband, and on top of that, many have never forgiven her for voting to authorize the war in Iraq. Warren, on the other hand, has thrilled the Left with her attacks on inequality, plutocrats and big financial institutions.

4. Hillary ran a dumb campaign in 2008 and might do so again. For a group of seasoned veterans, the 2008 Clinton campaign showed a stunning ignorance of how to win delegates in a Democratic contest. Rival Barack Obama exploited that weakness brilliantly. For example, Obama collected more net delegates by winning the Idaho caucuses, with 21,000 participants, than Clinton did by winning the New Jersey primary, with more than 1 million voters. Clinton just didn't pay attention to the smaller stuff, particularly the caucuses, and her cluelessness helped Obama win. It might help another rival in 2016.

5. One more time: Life is unpredictable. This is Warren's only chance to run. She will be 67 on Inauguration Day 2017. (Has any party ever fielded a group as old as Clinton, Biden and Warren?) A run in 2020 or later is out of the question. Hillary, now struggling to define her legacy as Secretary of State, is running on pure entitlement. The only thing about her candidacy that truly excites the Democratic base is that she would be the first woman president. Of course, that applies to Elizabeth Warren, too. And Warren would present a far fresher face to voters than Clinton, who has been in the national spotlight since 1992.

Yes, Warren is far back in the polls, but so was Obama in 2007. At some point, Democrats are going to realize the precariousness of their unthinking devotion to a single, flawed candidate. Elizabeth Warren could remind them there's someone else to vote for.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/why-elizabeth-warren-should-run-for-president/article/2547688

Love hearing what Warren has to say.  Not sure about her views regarding most non-financial issues but I'd probably still vote for her over any other candidate that I'm aware of if the election were held now.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Love hearing what Warren has to say.  Not sure about her views regarding most non-financial issues but I'd probably still vote for her over any other candidate that I'm aware of if the election were held now.

I'd like to think she is unelectable, but after we put Obama in the White House twice, anything is possible. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
;D

its true.  remember "sen mccain just bumped his head getting into the limo today'' in the same spots on his head where he had skin cancer?   right after a doc appt?  the lie was so obvious. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Video || Epic Diss! Obama Won’t Endorse Biden as Biden Looks On
by KEITH KOFFLER on APRIL 17, 2014

This is absurd. The man says, right in front of Biden, that he can’t support him.

Take a look at this. It’s completely ungracious. Now, don’t get me wrong, the Joe Biden who sneered and laughed his way through his debate with Paul Ryan, who suggested Republicans are so racist they want to re-enslave African Americans, deserves nobody’s graciousness.

But from President Obama’s perspective, Vice President Biden is the man who has been with him every day, been in on almost every meeting and decision, and been loyal and docile toward him as a chocolate labrador. Sure, he makes mistakes, but that’s not his fault. He was born a nincompoop.

To actually say, with Biden standing there, that “we’ve got an extraordinary secretary of state” who might also run suggests previously unknown degrees of coldness of blood.

From an interview by CBS White House correspondent Major Garrett:

I’ve got somebody who I think will go down as one of the finest vice presidents in history, and he has been . . .  a great partner in everything that I do. I suspect that there may be other potential candidates for 2016 who have been great friends and allies. I know that we’ve got an extraordinary secretary of state who did great service for us and worked with me and Joe to help make the country safer.

Whoever the Democratic standard bearer is, is going to be continuing to focus on jobs, making sure that our kids are getting a great education, making sure that we’re rebuilding prosperity from the middle class out in this country – and I am very much interested in making sure that some of the stuff we’ve gotten started continues.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2014/04/17/video-ultimate-diss-obama-endorse-biden/

makes perfect sense

he's not going to throw out an off the cuff endorsement when no one has even said they are running

I suspect he won't "endorse" either one during the primaries (which I'm sure they will understand) and will eventually endorse the Democratic nominee

RRKore

• Getbig IV
I'd like to think she is unelectable, but after we put Obama in the White House twice, anything is possible. 

Really?  Why?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Really?  Why?

Because leftwing liberals do not make good presidents. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Because leftwing liberals do not make good presidents. 

yet they keep winning elections.  I think it's because 51% of the USA is now liberal, sadly.