Author Topic: Presidential Candidates 2016: 10 Democrats Who Might Be the Next Nominee  (Read 111165 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Presidential Candidates 2016: 10 Democrats Who Might Be the Next Nominee
« Reply #900 on: April 20, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »
Speak on this. 

Clinton Poised to Clinch Democratic Nomination

Image: Clinton Poised to Clinch Democratic Nomination
Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016

Hillary Clinton can lose every remaining primary in the coming weeks and still clinch the nomination.

With Clinton's double-digit win in New York and more than two dozen new superdelegates joining her camp, rival Bernie Sanders now faces a far steeper path.

Before New York's contest, Sanders needed to win 68 percent of remaining delegates and uncommitted superdelegates to catch Clinton.

Now to capture the nomination, Sanders must win 73 percent. That means that Clinton can lose all remaining contests and still win.

If she does as well as expected in next week's primaries in the northeast, she's on track to clinch the nomination with help from superdelegates, the party insiders who can back either candidate, on June 7.

Based on primaries and caucuses alone, the latest AP delegate count, including New York, shows that Clinton leads by 1,428 to 1,151.

Including superdelegates, the race stands at 1,930 to 1,189, for Clinton. She needs just 27 percent of the remaining delegates and uncommitted superdelegates to reach the magic number, 2,383.

Clinton is moving quickly to cast herself as the all-but-certain nominee.

"The race for the Democratic nomination is in the home stretch, and victory is in sight," she told supporters at her victory party in Manhattan on Tuesday night.

Clinton added 33 new endorsements from superdelegates over the past month, according to a new Associated Press survey, expanding her already overwhelming support, despite Sanders' recent string of victories in Wisconsin and the West. Sanders picked up just seven such endorsements.

Democratic allies of the Clinton campaign say there are dozens more who back her. Some say privately that they don't want to make their support public because they fear aggressive online attacks from certain Sanders backers, who've harassed some superdelegates with threatening calls and emails.

The Sanders campaign contends that if he can close the gap with Clinton among delegates chosen in primaries and caucuses, the superdelegates will flock to his side to avoid overturning the will of the party's voters. While superdelegates are free to switch their vote, Sanders would need to flip dozens to catch up to her.

Looking at just superdelegates, Clinton has 502, while Sanders has 38.

So far, none has switched to Sanders and there's little indication many would defect.

"She's the person I think who can continue to lead this country in the right direction," said Democratic National Committee member Valarie McCall, of Cleveland, now for Clinton. "I don't know how much more qualified one can be."

Both campaigns had cast the New York primary as one that would either put Clinton on a clear path to the nomination or bolster Sanders after a string of primary wins.

Sanders aides are now saying they will re-examine the campaign's position in the race after delegate-rich primaries in five northeastern states Tuesday.

"Next week is a big week," said senior adviser Tad Devine. "We'll see how we do there and then we'll be able to sit back and assess where we are."

Still, few in the Democratic Party expect Sanders to exit the race formally before the final contests in June. He continues to attract tens of thousands to rallies - addressing more than 28,000 in Brooklyn two days before the primary. And he continues to raise millions of dollars, giving him fodder for a persistent fight.

In New York, Sanders spent $6.5 million on television ads compared with $4.2 million for Clinton according to CMAG's Kantar Media. The ad onslaught has come with a more negative tone going after her character - the issue Republicans want to put front and center in the fall election - and that has frustrated Clinton and her team.

The longer the race goes on, the more her negative ratings have risen. Fifty-six percent of people surveyed had a negative view of her, an all-time high, according to an NBC/Wall Street Journal poll earlier this week.

Robby Mook, Clinton's campaign manager, said Sanders must decide whether he wants to continue to "make casualties" of the likely nominee and the Democratic Party.

But the success of Sanders, a decades-long independent, also underscores her weaknesses with critical segments of the Democratic coalition. She's struggled with younger voters and liberal activists, whose enthusiasm will be necessary to fuel her general election bid.

While she stopped short of declaring victory on Tuesday night, Clinton has increasingly sprinkled her remarks with pleas for party unity.

"To all the people who supported Senator Sanders, I believe there is much more that unites us than divides us," she told the cheering crowd.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/US-DEM-2016-Clinton-Delegate-Dominance/2016/04/20/id/724952/#ixzz46OgQch96
That is counting superdelegates which are awarded at the convention.  Again, she CANNOT clinch it before the convention so thats where this is going. All the way to the convention, same as the GOP.  Reread your article.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #901 on: April 20, 2016, 12:43:54 PM »
That is counting superdelegates which are awarded at the convention.  Again, she CANNOT clinch it before the convention so thats where this is going. All the way to the convention, same as the GOP.  Reread your article.

You mean this part?

Including superdelegates, the race stands at 1,930 to 1,189, for Clinton. She needs just 27 percent of the remaining delegates and uncommitted superdelegates to reach the magic number, 2,383.

Clinton is moving quickly to cast herself as the all-but-certain nominee.

"The race for the Democratic nomination is in the home stretch, and victory is in sight," she told supporters at her victory party in Manhattan on Tuesday night.

Clinton added 33 new endorsements from superdelegates over the past month, according to a new Associated Press survey, expanding her already overwhelming support, despite Sanders' recent string of victories in Wisconsin and the West. Sanders picked up just seven such endorsements.

Democratic allies of the Clinton campaign say there are dozens more who back her. Some say privately that they don't want to make their support public because they fear aggressive online attacks from certain Sanders backers, who've harassed some superdelegates with threatening calls and emails.

The Sanders campaign contends that if he can close the gap with Clinton among delegates chosen in primaries and caucuses, the superdelegates will flock to his side to avoid overturning the will of the party's voters. While superdelegates are free to switch their vote, Sanders would need to flip dozens to catch up to her.

Looking at just superdelegates, Clinton has 502, while Sanders has 38.

So far, none has switched to Sanders and there's little indication many would defect.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #902 on: April 20, 2016, 12:44:26 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
This woman lacks integrity. 

Clinton confronted by laid-off coal worker at West Virginia campaign stop
Published May 03, 2016 
FoxNews.com   

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton was confronted Monday at a campaign stop in West Virginia by a laid-off coal worker over previous comments she made that “we’re going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business.”

Clinton was attending a panel discussion with residents and Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin in Williamson, W. Va. when she was asked a question by Bo Copley, who told her he was a laid off worker in the coal industry.

“I just want to know how you can say you’re going to put a lot of coal miners out of, out of jobs, and then come in here and tell us how you’re going to be our friend, because those people out there don’t see you as a friend,” Copley said, sometimes breaking into tears, as the chants of the protesters were heard outside.

Clinton however said her comments in March were a “misstatement,” and that she has been talking about helping out coal country “for a very long time.”

“What I was saying is that the way things are going now, we will continue to lose jobs,” Clinton said Monday. “That’s what I meant to say, and I think that that seems to be supported by the facts. I didn’t mean that we were going to do it, what I said was, that is going to happen unless we take action to try to and help and prevent it.”

Clinton released a $30 billion plan last fall aimed at aiding communities dependent on coal production and she's promised that her husband would focus on revitalizing the region.

Manchin came to Clinton’s defense on Monday.

“If I thought that was in her heart, if I thought she wanted to eliminate one job in West Virginia I wouldn’t be sitting here,” he said. “I think Hillary knows that. She wouldn’t be here if she felt that way. There is no way you could come into this type of a setting and the way that people are hurting so bad unless you want to help them.”

Copley however told Manchin he didn’t believe that his endorsement of Clinton was a good move.

“If I can be candid, I think still supporting her hurts you, it does, because it’s not a good outlook here,” he said.

"I can't take it back, and I certainly can't get people who, for political reasons or personal reasons, very painful reasons, are upset with me," Clinton said. "I want you to know I'm going to do whatever I can to help no matter what happens politically."

She added, "Whether or not West Virginia supports me, I'm going to support you."

Copley said he plans to vote in the Republican primary May 10.

The Republican National Committee responded Monday to the Clinton calling her earlier comments a “misstatement.”

“If Hillary Clinton really stood with coal country she’d be calling on the Obama EPA to stop taking a wrecking ball to their way of life. Given her steadfast support for Obama’s War on Coal, her promise to ‘put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business’ may have been one of the few honest moments she’s had this entire campaign,” said RNC spokesman Michael Short.

The Obama administration has been accused for years of pursuing policies harmful to the coal industry, including new regulations on power plants. As a presidential candidate in 2008, Barack Obama once said his goal is a cap-and-trade system that would make it so anybody wanting to build a coal plant would face costs so high it would “bankrupt” them.

Clinton is in the midst of a two-day campaign swing through Appalachia ahead of voting in that region later this month.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/05/03/clinton-confronted-by-laid-off-coal-worker-at-west-virginia-campaign-stop.html?intcmp=hpbt2

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Sanders upsets Clinton in Indiana
By Jonathan Swan
May 03, 2016

Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders is projected to win the Indiana primary in an upset over Hillary Clinton, who had led the Hoosier State in polling.

At about 10:30 p.m. EDT, Sanders led 53 percent to 47 percent, with 92 percent of precincts reporting, according to The Associated Press.

Sanders will win more of the state's 83 pledged delegates, helping him gain a little ground on Clinton as he tries to keep her from clinching the nomination. He thanked his supporters on Twitter.

Clinton led state polls by about 7 percentage points before the Tuesday primary. This is not the first time Sanders defied polling to pull off a stunning upset. In Michigan, he trailed by 21 points in polls before winning the state primary.

The surprise win gives Sanders and his supporters a much-needed boost at a time when hope seemed to be fading among even his most hardcore followers.

But despite the victory, Sanders has a lot of work to do to catch Clinton.

The former secretary of State entered the day with 1,645 pledged delegates, to 1,318 for Sanders. Factoring in superdelegates as well, her lead expanded to more than 800 total delegates, according to The Associated Press.

Clinton entered Indiana on a hot streak, having won five of the previous six contests to pad her lead.

Sanders now needs to convert his Indiana momentum into a string of victories through the June 7 California primary to have any hope of securing the Democratic nomination.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/dem-primaries/278530-sanders-upsets-clinton-in-indiana

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Delegate count after Indiana:

Hillary - 2202   
Sanders - 1400

2382 needed to win

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/democratic_delegate_count.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Buzz Grows Over Sen. Tim Kaine as Possible Clinton VP

Image: Buzz Grows Over Sen. Tim Kaine as Possible Clinton VP  Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia. (Getty Images)
By Joe Crowe   |   Wednesday, 04 May 2016

Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine appears to be leading the talk among Democrats about a running mate for presumptive presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

Kaine was the governor of Virginia and chaired the Democratic National Committee for two years. Supporters say he could balance the ticket because of his moderate positions and his experience as a governor would complement Clinton.

Kaine endorsed Clinton for president before she announced her 2016 run, according to The Washington Post. He worked at a mission in Honduras while he was in law school and speaks fluent Spanish, the Post said.

"I would be 100-percent enthusiastic about Tim Kaine being our vice presidential candidate," Clinton donor Peter Buttenweiser said, reports CNN.

Rep. Gerry Connolly said Kaine "provides a lot of talent to the ticket," and has the potential to be a good president. "He could certainly be an heir apparent."

Kaine has spoken out against Donald Trump, saying he insulted the American military by calling it a "disaster," according to ForeignPolicy.com.

Other possibilities would be more notable than Kaine, including Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, African-American Sen. Cory Booker, and Latino Labor Secretary Julian Castro, reports CNN.

The Virginia senator said he isn't looking for another job, saying he's "happy" as a senator and he doesn't know if he's even being considered for the position.

"I'm not on any list that I know of," he told CNN.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Tim-Kaine-Clinton-VP/2016/05/04/id/727191/#ixzz47iR6Elt3

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Bernie Sanders Wins West Virginia’s Democratic Primary
It’s a small victory for Bernie’s delegate count.
05/10/2016
Mollie Reilly
Deputy Politics Editor, The Huffington Post

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) won Tuesday’s Democratic presidential primary in West Virginia, edging out rival Hillary Clinton for a majority of the state’s 29 delegates.

It’s a minor win for Sanders: West Virginia awards delegates proportionately, and while votes are still being counted, he’s unlikely to win by enough percentage points to significantly dent Clinton’s lead in the delegate race.

Sanders was expected to do well in West Virginia, where voters are largely white and working class. He also likely benefited from the state’s primary system, which allows independent voters to vote in either the Democratic or Republican election. More than 250,000 West Virginia primary voters were unaffiliated, according to state data.

Ahead of Tuesday’s primary, Clinton led Sanders in the pledged delegate race by about 300 delegates. Counting unpledged delegates, also known as superdelegates, Clinton is ahead by more than 700. Sanders’ team has acknowledged the mathematical hurdles to overtaking Clinton in the pledged delegate race, and has instead shifted its strategy to challenging the former secretary of state at the convention.

“She will need superdelegates to take her over the top,” Sanders said last week of Clinton’s path to victory. “The convention will be a contested contest.”

Next Tuesday, Democratic voters head to the polls in Kentucky and Oregon. The rest of the Democratic primaries, including California’s and New Jersey’s, will take place in early June.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-west-virginia-primary_us_573282a7e4b096e9f09329da

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
I want him to stay in.

Fight Hillary to the end! If she gets the nomination, I want her to have had to work for it... I don't want her just getting it "handed" to her.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I want him to stay in.

Fight Hillary to the end! If she gets the nomination, I want her to have had to work for it... I don't want her just getting it "handed" to her.

Too late.  She was crowned as soon as she announced her candidacy.  Probably before she announced. 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
Too late.  She was crowned as soon as she announced her candidacy.  Probably before she announced. 

While I agree with you in general, I still want him to keep at it.

If he is doing what he believes to be the best for the American people, he won't just roll over and give it to her.

Side note, did you see Rubio endorse Trump  today?

WTF is that? Trump says so many terrible things about him and he just says, "Well, that's ok."

Do these people have no self respect anymore?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com

If he is doing what he believes to be the best for the American people, he won't just roll over and give it to her.

Side note, did you see Rubio endorse Trump  today?

WTF is that? Trump says so many terrible things about him and he just says, "Well, that's ok."

'

There's probably a 10% chance that, based upon his internal research, Trump sees Rubio helps him most in FL and with hispanics and with youte vote and with the dimple vote, whoever... and he picks Rubio as veep.   Visually, Rubio's NFL cheerleader wife + trump's model wife make for a great campaign poster.  If trump knows anything, it's how to make a good media appearance.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Side note, did you see Rubio endorse Trump  today?

Well Rubio pledged during a debate to support Trump if he was the nominee.  That was the time to take a stand.  All these people are selling their souls.  Props to the ones who have the conviction to oppose this man.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Delegate count after Indiana:

Hillary - 2202   
Sanders - 1400

2382 needed to win

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/democratic_delegate_count.html

Delegate count after Bernie's win in WV:

Hillary - 2240
Sanders - 1473

2,382 needed to win

The end is near.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Clinton edges Sanders in chaotic Nevada convention
By Eric Bradner, CNN
May 15, 2016

Washington (CNN)Hillary Clinton maintained her delegate advantage in Nevada as the state Democratic convention adjourned amid chaos Saturday night.

The reason things wrapped up quickly and unceremoniously: They were kicked out of the casino hosting the convention.

The Nevada State Democratic Party said Sunday that the Paris Las Vegas Hotel's security said it could no longer handle their event.

"At approximately 10:00 p.m. on Saturday night, the director of security for the Paris Las Vegas Hotel informed the state party and representatives from both presidential campaigns that the property could no longer provide the necessary security under conditions made unruly and unpredictable. Paris Las Vegas Hotel security requested a prompt conclusion to the event," the Nevada State Democratic Party said in a statement.

From there, the state chairwoman Roberta Lange accepted a motion to adopt the delegate slates submitted by the Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders campaigns, the state party said.

Sanders' supporters had hoped that winning county conventions would give them more delegates than Clinton -- and therefore would help the Vermont senator secure an advantage in Nevada, even though Clinton had won the state's Democratic caucuses in February.

But the state party's count gave Clinton a 33-delegate advantage out of the 3,400 who attended Saturday.

The results of the convention mean Nevada will send 20 pledged delegates to the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia for Clinton, plus 15 for Sanders. Another eight, many of whom have committed to backing Clinton, will go as super delegates.

Sanders' supporters booed and protested the count, according to local media reports. They'd also produced a "minority report" of 64 Sanders supporters who they said were wrongly denied delegate status -- which the state party explained by saying those individuals' records couldn't be located or they weren't registered as Democrats by the May 1 deadline.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/15/politics/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-nevada-convention/index.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Bernie Sanders Could Still Win the Democratic Nomination — No, Seriously
Seth Abramson
Attorney; Assistant Professor, UNH; Series Editor, Best American Experimental Writing
2016-05-11

Last night on CNN, while discussing Bernie Sanders’ landslide victory over Hillary Clinton in West Virginia — which followed a 5-point Sanders win in Indiana last week — Michael Smerconish said that “Democratic super-delegates might have to rethink” their support of Hillary Clinton given how dramatically better Sanders fares in head-to-head match-ups against Donald Trump.

After Clinton’s Indiana loss, John King had told CNN viewers that “if Sanders were to win nine out of ten of the remaining contests, there’s no doubt that some of the super-delegates would panic. There’s no doubt some of them would switch to Sanders. What he has to do is win the bulk of the remaining contests. Would that send jitters, if not panic, through the Democratic Party? Yes. Yes it would.”

So what gives? Isn’t this thing over?

Almost, but not quite.

What Smerconish (and Wolf Blitzer) were discussing last night, and John King was discussing last week, is a very simple theory — call it “run-the-table” — which is easy enough to understand if you simply know the history of Democratic super-delegates and what’s happened in the 2016 Democratic primary since Super Tuesday.

So here it is — both a brief history of the “super-delegate” and an explanation of the “run-the-table” scenario that increasingly is making it into the mainstream media.

In 1984, the Democratic Party created “super-delegates” — Party officials with a vote at the Democrats’ nominating convention. The hope was that super-delegates would rarely if ever be needed. There was reason to be hopeful on this score: first, because any Democratic nominee able to win even 59 percent of the “pledged” (primary and caucus) delegates would clinch the Democratic nomination before even a single super-delegate had voted; second, because even if a weak front-runner were unable to clinch the Democratic nomination without super-delegates, the candidate behind in the “pledged” delegate count would almost certainly concede before any super-delegates were forced to weigh in.

For 32 years, the Democrats’ decision to create super-delegates looked pretty smart. Other than the current primary season — a single-digit race (54 percent to 45 percent) that’s the second-closest Democratic primary of the last 32 years — only one of the Democrats’ primaries, the one in 2008, was ultimately close enough for super-delegates to matter. In that case the losing candidate, Hillary Clinton, decided to concede after the final votes were cast in June. Clinton’s concession made the super-delegate question a moot one.

Clinton conceded in 2008 for a number of reasons: her opponent, now-President Obama, agreed to retire her massive campaign debt; she believed (correctly) that Obama would name her either Vice President or Secretary of State, the latter the second-most powerful position in Washington; and finally and most importantly, Obama had kicked the hell out of her in the latter half of the election season, winning 16 of the final 25 states. In other words, there was no reasonable argument for Clinton to make to super-delegates that they should step in to change the primary result.

While Clinton permitted a roll call vote in Denver — with more than 1,000 convention delegates officially casting their first-ballot vote for her rather than then-Senator Obama — she thereafter called for Obama to become the nominee by acclamation. Having made a public statement regarding her own base of support within the Democratic Party — it’s highly unusual, indeed almost unheard of, for a roll call vote to occur when one of the two candidates has conceded — Clinton receded into the background. By which I mean that she became, within just a few months, arguably the second most-powerful person in America: the Secretary of State.

But Clinton had seriously considered staying in the race past June 7th of 2008. The reason she almost did — she was barely talked out of it by her aides — is the very reason Bernie Sanders could still win the Democratic nomination in 2016.

That reason?

Super-delegates exist for only one purpose: to overturn, if necessary, the popular-vote and delegate-count results.

Super-delegates would be meaningless if their only purpose were to validate the primary and caucus results, which is why that consideration had absolutely nothing to do with their creation. When super-delegates were created in 1984, it was in fact to avoid a repeat of what had almost happened in 1980: a candidate with no shot at winning the general election almost becoming the popular-vote and pledged-delegate winner. It may seem counter-intuitive to some now, but the Democratic Party in 1984 wanted a mechanism available to vote down the Party’s prospective nominee — the popular-vote and pledged-delegate winner — if that person couldn’t be elected in the November general election. So when Howard Dean, former presidential candidate and Democratic National Committee Chair, said several months ago that he would cast his super-delegate vote without regard for the popular vote or pledged-delegate race, he was only stating what has been true about super-delegates for 32 years now: their role in the process is only “activated” either (a) to validate a historically weak front-runner who isn’t able to clinch the nomination via pledged delegates alone (in which case the super-delegates are “active,” and yet things would be no different if they didn’t exist), or, more profoundly, (b) to preclude the nomination of someone who can’t win the general election.

Fast-forward to 2016.

John King of CNN, and others, have made crystal-clear the scenario under which Bernie Sanders could become the Democratic nominee for President: he runs the table on the remaining primaries and caucuses.

If Sanders runs the table in 2016, it will mean the following has (by June 7th) happened:

Sanders has won 19 of the final 25 state primaries and caucuses (not a typo);
Sanders is within a few hundred thousand votes of Clinton in the popular vote;
Sanders has won 54 percent of the pledged delegates since Super Tuesday; and
Sanders is in a dead heat with Clinton in national polling.
The above alone — while absolutely stunning; Sanders running significantly better than Obama for the entire second half of the primary season is a major eye-opener — wouldn’t be enough to trigger the second scenario in which super-delegates are suddenly meaningful (as noted above, a front-runner so weak he or she is unlikely to win the general election). What makes 2016 very different from 2008 is that the following items are presently true:

Sanders has dramatically higher favorable ratings than Clinton, despite months of attacks from his Democratic opponent and Trump and GOP super-PACs generally laying off both Sanders and Clinton;
Sanders beats Donald Trump nationally by much more than does Clinton (12 points, as opposed to 6 for Clinton, in an average of all national polls);
Sanders beats Donald Trump in every battleground state by more than does Clinton; and
Sanders beats Trump by 22 points among independents, while Clinton loses independents to Trump by 2 points.
As we sit here today, the Clinton-Trump match-up in the three biggest battleground states — Ohio, Florida, and Pennsylvania, the loss of all three of which would lose the Democrats the general election — is a dead heat.

This is one reason why so many Sanders supporters honestly and fervently believe a Hillary Clinton candidacy means a Donald Trump presidency.

The idea that Clinton is in a dead heat with Trump in the three most important battleground states at a time when Trump is the most unpopular major-party candidate in American history is horrifying to Democrats. How horrifying it is cannot be overstated; along with recent polling showing Clinton tied nationally with Trump, and the fact that Hillary’s unfavorables are already rising while Trump’s are already falling, and the fact that the Republican Party is uniting dramatically behind Trump precisely because Clinton looks to be the likely Democratic nominee, the fact that Hillary is already struggling in Ohio, Florida, and Pennsylvania against an absolute buffoon of an opponent is causing Democrats to worry that she actually can’t win.

And they may well be right.

Certainly, much of the available data says they are.

Now imagine that all of the above is true, and Hillary Clinton has just lost the State of California to Bernie Sanders.

In that scenario, Sanders and his supporters believe that the super-delegates — placed in a situation which, to be clear, they have never encountered before — would switch en masse to vote for Sanders in late July.

Anyone reading the above who thinks that eventuality is an impossibility has not done the simple thought experiment that John King’s reasoning requires.

So let’s do it now.

Imagine — I mean really imagine — that you’re watching CNN on June 7th and Hillary has just lost California, New Jersey, New Mexico, Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota. This comes on the heels of losses in Indiana, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Oregon. Clinton hasn’t won a state since April; she’s behind Donald Trump in national polling; she’s tied with or behind Donald Trump in all of the battleground states; she’s lost the pledged-delegate battle to Bernie Sanders 53 percent to 47 percent since March 1st; she’s lost 19 of the final 25 state primaries and caucuses; her unfavorables are the highest of any Democrat the Party has considered running since World War II; she’s losing independent voters to Donald Trump; she’s still under investigation by the FBI, and an international criminal is claiming (credibly) that he successfully hacked her basement server and stole classified and top-secret data; 40 percent of Sanders supporters are saying they won’t vote for her; and she’s come to look exactly like two other Democratic losers — unlikable policy wonks Al Gore and John Kerry — rather than the movement candidate Bernie Sanders is and Barack Obama was.

The Clinton camp is betting that Hillary loses zero super-delegates in this situation because — well, just because.

The Sanders camp is betting that the Democratic Party cares more about winning in November than gamely running a terrible dynasty candidate against a beatable Republican foe.

In the hypothetical John King has imagined, that bet doesn’t seem so unreasonable.

Every non-partisan in the national media who’s actually looked at the above scenario has concluded that super-delegates would switch to Sanders in the situation described here — the only question is how many. And if you’ve actually imagined the scenario described above — if you actually imagined the rank panic that would be running through the Democratic Party should Hillary lose the largest state in the country to Bernie Sanders at a time when all the hard-data and environmental indicators are suggesting she’s a possible loser in the fall — you’re thinking, as I am, that the answer to the question, “How many supers would jump ship in that scenario?” is the same answer I got from John King when I asked him this question directly after the Indiana primary: “Lots.”

To get to that point, Sanders has to win Indiana — which he’s already done. And he has to win West Virginia, which he now has. Now he’s looking ahead to Kentucky and Oregon next week, and Oregon looks like a safe win while Kentucky an eminently possible one. Should he sweep Clinton for the third Tuesday in a row, he’ll be looking forward to just one final test: June 7th. Sanders is a plausible winner on that date in California, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and New Mexico; his longest odds are in New Jersey, a state where he nevertheless polled within single digits of Clinton in the second-to-last poll taken in the state (the most recent poll is far less favorable, but also, given the political make-up of the state and the fact that Trump’s lack of competitors on the GOP side will drive up interest and turnout on the Democratic side, less plausible). More importantly, perhaps, King’s scenario doesn’t even require that Sanders win New Jersey — merely that he take nine of the final ten contests, and therefore a still-staggering 18 of the last 25. This isn’t just doable — it’s entirely possible, given the momentum, demographics, and polling in the upcoming states.

Still, no one knows what will happen next week — though the odds of Sanders continuing his current winning streak seem high. And if Sanders does win Kentucky and Oregon, John King’s “run-the-table” scenario will be just one day of voting from becoming a reality. It’s on those grounds that we can say — whatever we might hear from Clinton partisans — that the Democratic primary is, indeed, far from over.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/bernie-sanders-could-still-win-the-democratic-nomination----no-seriously_b_9898436.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Bernie Sanders Could Still Win the Democratic Nomination — No, Seriously

that should be the republicans' BIGGEST fear.

hilary is old.  she's shady.  she's a proven liar.  she's low energy and may have health issues.  even her supporters are semi-enthusiastic about her.  She's still losing states she should be winning.   She's beatable, even by a weak weak candidate.

Bernie?  A communist socialist turd, sure, BUT he's packing the house and the enthusiasm for him is strong.  He'd energize the base and win enough swing voters to probably out-perform hilary.  He's beating her in the match-up polls with repubs, right?

repubs better be careful what they wish for ;)  Running against bernie might not be easy.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Sanders And Clinton Enter The Home Stretch
The next contests will be held June 7, with the final contest in Washington D.C. on June 14.
 05/18/2016
Ginger Gibson and Emily Stephenson

JAVIER GALEANO / REUTERS

After splitting wins in contests on Tuesday, Democrats Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders head into the final stretch of a longer than expected and sometimes acrimonious battle to represent their party in November’s White House election.

Clinton narrowly edged out Sanders in Kentucky, a state where she had not been expected to win. Sanders won Oregon, a state that played to his strengths.

The protracted fight for the Democratic nomination has boiled over into strife in recent days, prompting party leaders to weigh in and urge unity.

The next contests will be held June 7, including in the delegate heavy states of California and New Jersey, with the final contest in Washington D.C. on June 14.

While Clinton is expected to win the party nomination, Tuesday’s divided outcome means she is still more than 100 delegates short of sealing the deal and so cannot yet turn her attention fully to the general election and taking on presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump.

In Kentucky, the two candidates will likely split the 55 delegates up for grabs. In Oregon, Sanders will take only a handful more of the 61 delegates that were awarded.

Trump, who locked up his party’s nomination after the rest of his rivals dropped out in early May, has begun to organize his campaign for the Nov. 8 election. On Tuesday, he signed a joint fundraising agreement with the Republican National Committee. The agreement allows him to raise $449,400 from a single donor by splitting the funds between his campaign, the RNC and state Republican parties.

Trump, a billionaire real estate developer, had so far insisted on mostly self-funding his campaign and the shift to a more traditional fundraising approach could anger some of his supporters.

In an interview on Fox News on Tuesday night, Trump said he some regrets about his actions during the Republican primary process in which he beat 16 rivals, showering insults on most of them along the way.

“I could have used different language in a couple of instances, but overall I’m happy with the outcome,” Trump said.

NEVADA STILL RANKLES

On the Democratic side, both candidates’ camps kept up a dispute on Tuesday after violent outbursts by Sanders supporters ended the Nevada Democratic convention over the weekend.

Sanders supporters were angered when Nevada state party officials chose to end their convention and block efforts to award the U.S. senator from Vermont more delegates than he initially won in the February caucus. Clinton won the caucus.

One Sanders supporter threw a chair. Others daubed chalk graffiti on a party building. Some circulated a picture of the state party chairwoman, Roberta Lange, online with her cellphone number and encouraged others to complain.

Lange said she and her family had received death threats, including a voicemail message saying “people like you should be hung in a public execution.”

On Wednesday, Democratic National Committee Debbie Wasserman Schultz slammed such actions and called for civility. “We have a process set up that is eminently fair,” she told CNN. “No one should be subjected to death threats.”

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid also said he has spoken to Sanders directly.

Sanders has said he condemns violence and harassment but leveled some of the same complaints his supporters did. He argued Lange did not allow a headcount on a disputed rules change and 64 delegates to Nevada’s convention were not given a hearing before being ruled ineligible.

The state party disputed the claim, saying some delegates did not show up at the convention and others were disqualified because they were not registered as Democrats in time.

Sanders, a self-described democratic socialist who is not a registered Democrat, used the incident to boost his call for the party to allow participation by non-party members in the primary process.

Clinton’s campaign continued to express confidence that she will be able to unify the party. Her campaign manager, Robby Mook, said Clinton was grateful for Nevadans who participated in the process but that no one should be intimidated, harassed or threatened.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sanders-and-clinton-enter-the-home-stretch_us_573c8897e4b0646cbeeba79a

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Field Poll: Dem Race Tightens in California

Image: Field Poll: Dem Race Tightens in California   (Getty Images)
By Jeffrey Rodack   |    Thursday, 02 Jun 2016

Hillary Clinton's once-commanding lead over Bernie Sanders has declined in California as the two Democrats are now running nearly neck-and-neck as the state's June 7 primary nears, according to a new Field poll released Thursday.

The poll shows:
•45 percent favored Clinton;
•43 percent for Sanders.

As recently as January, Clinton led Sanders 46 to 35 percent.

Presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump is gaining more acceptance by state Republicans, but still lags behind when pitted against either of the two Democrats.

"While it is a truism that turnout is a key factor in determining who will win any close election, it is especially true in this (Democratic) race," according to a statement by The Field poll.

"The widest differences are generational, with Sanders the overwhelming choice of voters under age 30 and Clinton preferred by a two-to-one margin among Democratic primary voters age 65 or older.

The poll finds significantly greater enthusiasm for Sanders than for Clinton among voters backing each candidate.

"Nearly two in three of those currently backing Sanders (65 percent) say they are enthusiastic in their support of his candidacy. By comparison, less than half (45 percent) of Clinton supporters say this."

The results mirror another poll, which found Clinton clinging to a similar slim margin over Sanders.

A NBC news/Wall Street Journal/Marist poll found Clinton gets support from 49 percent of likely Democratic primary voters in the state, while Sanders gets 47 percent,

Meanwhile The Field poll showed Trump gaining support among California Republicans.

"Trump appears to be winning over more of the state's Republican voters, he still has a long way to go to become competitive in November among the overall California electorate," the statement by The Field Poll said.

"When Trump is paired against Clinton or Sanders in general election trial heats, The Field poll finds both Democrats preferred by large margins, with Clinton besting Trump by 19 points and Sanders leading by 29 points."

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Field-Poll-Clinton-Sanders-California/2016/06/02/id/731935/#ixzz4AS7S3IEV

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Bernie Sanders Campaign Is Split Over Whether to Fight on Past Tuesday
The senator has vowed to press his case, but some urge him to unite behind Clinton
By Peter Nicholas
Updated June 5, 2016

A split is emerging inside the Bernie Sanders campaign over whether the senator should stand down after Tuesday’s election contests and unite behind Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, or take the fight all the way to the July party convention and try to pry the nomination from her.

One camp might be dubbed the Sandersistas, the loyalists who helped guide Mr. Sanders’s political ascent in Vermont and the U.S. Congress and are loath to give up a fight that has far surpassed expectations. Another has ties not only to Mr. Sanders but to the broader interests of a Democratic Party pining to beat back the challenge from Republican Donald Trump and make gains in congressional elections.

Mr. Sanders in recent weeks has made clear he aims to take his candidacy past the elections on Tuesday, when California, New Jersey and four other states vote. But the debate within the campaign indicates that Mr. Sanders’s next move isn’t settled.

For now, Democratic officials, fund-raisers and operatives are getting impatient, calling on Mr. Sanders to quit the race and begin the work of unifying the party for the showdown with the Republican presumptive nominee.

Orin Kramer, a New York hedge-fund manager who has raised campaign funds for both President Barack Obama and Mrs. Clinton, said with respect to Mr. Sanders’s future plans: “I would hope people would understand what a Trump presidency would mean and act accordingly—and ‘accordingly’ means quickly.”

A strong showing in New Jersey on Tuesday, before California results even come in, could help Mrs. Clinton reach the 2,383 delegates needed to clinch the nomination. Her total includes hundreds of superdelegates—party leaders and elected officials who can back either candidate. Mr. Sanders is hoping that defeating Mrs. Clinton in the most populous state later Tuesday might give superdelegates reason to
Even so, Mr. Sanders isn’t backing off. In an interview that aired Sunday on CNN, he stepped up an attack on Mrs. Clinton involving the Clinton Foundation. Echoing a critique made by Republicans, Mr. Sanders said he has “a problem” with the foundation accepting money from foreign sources during her service as secretary of state.

In a news conference Saturday in California, Mr. Sanders indicated he would battle for superdelegates all the way to the convention.

“The Democratic National Convention will be a contested convention,” he said.

Mrs. Clinton, who won Puerto Rico’s Democratic primary on Sunday, seems to be running out of patience with Mr. Sanders. Having shifted her focus to Mr. Trump, she told CNN that after Tuesday, “I’m going to do everything I can to reach out to try to unify the Democratic Party, and I expect Sen. Sanders to do the same.”

When she ran against Mr. Obama in 2008, Mrs. Clinton stayed in the race until the end. As late as the final week of voting, she was talking hopefully of wooing super-delegates and capturing the nomination. But on June 7 of that year—four days after the primary season ended—she gave a speech bowing out and immediately threw her support to Mr. Obama.

Later that month, the two chose the town of Unity, N.H., to make a high-profile joint appearance aimed at persuading Clinton voters to get behind Mr. Obama.

Mr. Sanders is at a similar crossroads. The final contest of the primary season is June 14, when Washington D.C. votes.

Tad Devine, a senior Sanders strategist who advised Democratic nominees Al Gore in 2000 and John Kerry in 2004, among others, suggested the “path forward” is uncertain, hinging on the outcome in California and other states that have yet to vote. He voiced a conciliatory note, describing how the two campaigns might set aside differences that have grown more pronounced in the heat of the year-long campaign.

“What will happen hopefully when the voting is done, our two campaigns will begin to talk once more to one another and figure out where the common ground is,” he said.

Campaign manager Jeff Weaver, who has worked in Mr. Sanders’s congressional offices and Vermont-based campaigns dating to the mid-1980s, takes a more aggressive approach.

Mr. Weaver has long been one of the more tenacious loyalists on Team Sanders, having sparred repeatedly with Democratic National Committee chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz over the party’s treatment of the Sanders campaign.
A victory in California and elsewhere on Tuesday would “strengthen” the argument for the nomination, Mr. Weaver said, but it isn’t necessary to keep the candidacy alive through the convention.

“The plan is as the senator has described it: to go forward after Tuesday and keep the campaign going to the convention and make the case to superdelegates that Sen. Sanders is the best chance that Democrats have to beat Trump,” Mr. Weaver said. “The trajectory is the same regardless of the outcome in California.”

That is what worries Democratic leaders. Pointing to polls indicating a tightening race in November, they say Mr. Sanders, if he is sincere about beating back Mr. Trump, must quickly join forces with the party front-runner.

“Democrats will need as much unity as early as we can get it as possible,” said Tom Daschle, a former senate Democratic leader. “It would be a huge mistake to underestimate [Mr. Trump]. We’ve done that the entire election season.”

Democratic Senate leader Harry Reid has concluded Mr. Sanders has no path to the nomination, an aide said, and that he should shift focus to helping Democrats pick up Senate seats. Doing so would help Mr. Sanders return to the chamber with more power than he wielded before the presidential race began a year ago, the aide said.

William Daley, who chaired Mr. Gore’s presidential campaign and served as a White House chief of staff for Mr. Obama, said in an interview the “damage” Mr. Sanders could do is “overwhelming if he doesn’t give [Mrs. Clinton] the breather she needs in the run-up to the convention to take on Trump.”

At a minimum, some of Mrs. Clinton’s supporters would like to see Mr. Sanders lay off the attacks. Alan Kessler, a longtime Democratic fundraiser, said Mr. Sanders’s tone is “a little disappointing.”

“There’s no reason why he shouldn’t fight for the things that he’s talking about, but there’s no need to continually make it personal,” he added.

http://www.wsj.com/article_email/bernie-sanders-campaign-is-split-over-whether-to-fight-on-past-tuesday-1465171997-lMyQjAxMTE2MzAwNjIwOTYyWj

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Dos Equis is a moron and its going to be hilarious when he has to eat his words.  He has been wrong the entire time thus far about Bernie.

I was dead wrong about Trump, but not about Hillary.

Hillary Clinton will win final Democratic primary in D.C., CNN projects
By Theodore Schleifer and Jeff Zeleny, CNN
Tue June 14, 2016

Washington (CNN) — Hillary Clinton will win the last contest of the Democratic primary season, according to a CNN projection, eclipsing Bernie Sanders in the little-noticed election in the District of Columbia.

The contest doesn't change the general election match-up. Clinton clinched her nomination last week, but Sanders declined to drop out and pledged to give every voter a chance to decide between the two candidates.

Though the primary was essentially over, Sanders held a single campaign event in Washington last Thursday, and he reminded voters here about his support for statehood for the nation's capital.

Twenty delegates were at stake in Tuesday's primary, which was open only to registered Democrats. Delegates are awarded proportionally at the statewide and district-level, with a 15% threshold required. Polls were open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.

The more meaningful Democratic activity in Washington on Tuesday will be the private meeting between Clinton and Sanders. The Vermont senator has begun signaling that his campaign is soon to close, but Sanders' aides say he is not expected to immediately endorse Clinton.

"It should be amicable and hopefully constructive," a person close to Sanders said of the meeting.

He is expected to renew his pledge to help defeat Donald Trump. But "he'll also put his cards on the table" and push for progressive policy positions in the fall campaign and in the party's platform. This is the way to keep his movement alive -- or an attempt to -- without instantly alienating his core supporters, Sanders aides say.

The few Republicans in the District of Columbia gave Marco Rubio one of his few wins when they voted in March.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/14/politics/district-of-columbia-primary-results/index.html