Author Topic: Bench "equipment" adds 300 to your bench?  (Read 3176 times)

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
Re: Bench "equipment" adds 300 to your bench?
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 08:55:38 AM »
What's drives me absolutely bat shit crazy is when someone claims a huge shirted bench but don't let folks know it's assisted! Drives me nuts!!!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 09:01:40 AM »
A guy I worked with who is a pudgy 170lbs claims a 405lbs bench. Watching a video of it showed what kind of nonsense his bench was. First he inverted his upper body into a reverse U. A really extreme bridge. He then takes a wide grip. He lowers he bar to highest part of his inverted U body. Using a bench shirt gear when the bar touches his lowerchest his arms are barely bent.  The range of motion looks like 8 inches. I'm about the same height and when I bench the ROM is 20" plus inches. He looks like he doesn't even lift but has all these crazy totals in power lifting with gear and lifting tricks to make the lift easier.

Powerlifting has  become a joke. I like Olympic lifting. It shows power unlike so called power lifting. It also shows strength and athleticism. Here's a bar on the floor. Lift it over head or you don't. No bull shit nonsense.

I have a piece of advice from an oldtimer. In bodybuilding you get better development by making the lift harder not easier. This is mainly done by the range of motion and form. Yes, deep squats are harder than delusional almost half squats. Full presses whether for delts or pecs are harder than half reps. If you feel the need to impress others in the gym grab the biggest dumbbells and short stroke everything so you can use them. Load the leg press with the back board upright so your knees hit when they are barely bent.   

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 09:08:36 AM »
They ruined a great sport with these suits and that stupid monolift,excessive arching,and spotters touching the bar during a "lift" and the lift still getting passed as being good.

When I competed,we used a fucking belt,wore a singlet,knee wraps,and chalk.

Back then as mentioned previously,Jim Williams unofficially benched 705,Don Rhinehoudt squatted over 900,and guys like Vince Anello pulled over 800 pounds.

Most of the above lifts,if broken today raw,are not much more than they were back then.

Throw those suits and shitty form into the mix and lifters are posting astronomical totals.

Are the lifters lifting the weight,or are the suits lifting the weight?

Judging by old raw records, and new raw stats,I`d attribute the huge weights used these days to the stupid suits.

No offense meant to guys who wear the suits,just seems stupid to me, and just my opinion.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 09:11:08 AM »
http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=202808&tid=

"550 RAW, 860 Equipped"

??? ??? ???
in the most extreme case known to man, maybe, hardly the norm though, 100lb is more likely the average and if you got used to it maybe more.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 09:18:37 AM »
http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=202808&tid=

"550 RAW, 860 Equipped"

??? ??? ???

average local powerlifter at my gym barely squat 400 raw and squat 600 at the contest, sometime they got trouble squatting deep enough because of the "equipment".
asstropin

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 09:21:27 AM »
Last Thursday I bench pressed 175 wearing a regular t-shirt. On Friday I put on a bench press shirt and doubled 675.
a

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
Last Thursday I bench pressed 175 wearing a regular t-shirt. On Friday I put on a bench press shirt and doubled 675.
Nice going T...........congrats!  :D

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 09:41:22 AM »
Nice going T...........congrats!  :D

Why thank you sir. It was nothing really. I could have tripled the 675 but that would have been rude.
a

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 10:12:36 AM »
;D