Author Topic: WM 1 Main Event to be inducted into HOF  (Read 2436 times)

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
WM 1 Main Event to be inducted into HOF
« on: January 14, 2014, 03:27:42 PM »
I would LOVE to see Mr T at the ceremony!!!! courtesy of LOP:

We noted before that WWE recently resolved their issues with Roddy Piper because they want him to be a part of WrestleMania XXX weekend. WWE wants Piper and other WrestleMania I stars, mainly the main event participants, to headline the Hall of Fame ceremony that weekend.

The idea being pitched within WWE would see Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Mr. T and Paul Orndorff to be inducted, making it the first time ever that a match itself is inducted into the Hall of Fame. It's possible that Jimmy Snuka and Bob Orton, who also participated in the WrestleMania I main event, could be inducted as well. Inducting a match into the Hall of Fame opens the door for similar inductions in the future.

Mr. T has reportedly turned down WWE in the past but word now is that officials recently reached out to him and are negotiating. If this plan goes through, obviously it would make Hogan, Piper, Orndorff, Orton and Snuka two-time Hall of Famers like Ric Flair

Read more at http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/WWE_Planning_to_Induct_the_WrestleMania_I_Main_Event_Into_the_Hall_of_Fame_This_Year.html#YfHiOjbPIRK84Pj6.99

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: WM 1 Main Event to be inducted into HOF
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 04:06:46 PM »
What were the issues with Hot Rod?

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »
He wouldnt sign off on a contract of exclusivity linked to the Legends House reality show. Been going on for over a year.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »
He wouldnt sign off on a contract of exclusivity linked to the Legends House reality show. Been going on for over a year.

What's that? Something in production, or is it in the planning stages?

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »
Was done and dusted a year ago, its a reality TV show for the network. Think Big Brother but featuring Mean Gene, The Fink, Hillbilly Jim, Hacksaw etc  ;D

Has serious potential!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 04:25:07 PM »
I can't imagine what the exclusivity clause was for. I don't see anyone else trying to start such a show.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 05:00:30 PM »
i think it was based on the wrestlers being exclusive property of WWE, as in they werent allowed to wrestle or appear for other companies.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 06:42:12 PM »
i think it was based on the wrestlers being exclusive property of WWE, as in they werent allowed to wrestle or appear for other companies.

Piper's been a tough contract negotiator for the last 30+ years...at least with Vince.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 08:06:23 AM »
We noted yesterday that WWE is planning on inducting the WrestleMania I main event itself into the Hall of Fame this year, with participants Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Mr. T, Paul Orndorff and others likely being inducted as well.

While that is the idea being pitched for Piper and Hogan during WrestleMania XXX weekend, it's still possible they will have some kind of match role on the pay-per-view itself.

We noted before that Piper pitched the idea of doing he and a top heel vs. Hogan and John Cena. At one point Piper wanted that heel to be CM Punk but WWE likely won't be turning Punk again this soon.

Read more at http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/More_on_Roddy_Piper_and_Hulk_Hogan_at_WrestleMania_XXX_Who_Piper_Wanted_WWE_to_Turn_Heel.html#leqQA3BmgUZhOP0j.99

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »
I hate seeing Piper enter the ring with that gut. I'm still haunted by the memory of one of his returns in which he was fat, pasty white, and wore black ring gear. He looked like Shamu!

At least in that legends match against Jericho he left his shirt on.

But, he is so far from ring shape, I don't even know that a tag match would cover it. Same for Hogan. I just hate for those two to go out and embarrass/tarnish themselves and the event.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 05:02:25 PM »
IMO Mania no longer holds any prestige. The straps are worthless, the product is garbage and the PPV schedule is saturated.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 05:52:52 PM »
IMO Mania no longer holds any prestige. The straps are worthless, the product is garbage and the PPV schedule is saturated.

Agree.

Almost nothing has any kind of meaning anymore. The product has almost "out-evolved" itself.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 12:53:02 AM »
I remember having only Rumble, Mania, Summerslam then SS in the calendar year and the excitement each generated. Months of build up and dozens of squash matches to build rivalries, now everyone is paying through the nose to watch glorified episodes of Raw / Smackdown (which are awful).

WWE's business model is horrible, theres a reason they went from 20,000 seater arenas to 2,000 and their share price dropped from $20 to $7. Its recovered dramatically but it is highly overvalued just now, and will crash quick and hard very soon.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 04:20:50 PM »
All the great matches in WM history...and THIS "match" is HOF????   

ffs, that is weak

~

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 04:25:21 PM »
I hate seeing Piper enter the ring with that gut. I'm still haunted by the memory of one of his returns in which he was fat, pasty white, and wore black ring gear. He looked like Shamu!

At least in that legends match against Jericho he left his shirt on.

But, he is so far from ring shape, I don't even know that a tag match would cover it. Same for Hogan. I just hate for those two to go out and embarrass/tarnish themselves and the event.
ya its painful watching piper now. That gut is atrocious.  Some guys just dont know when to hang it up.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 04:42:45 PM »
ya its painful watching piper now. That gut is atrocious.  Some guys just dont know when to hang it up.

If he still wants to go out and play, fine...but, at least do the performance and role some justice.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »

If he still wants to go out and play, fine...but, at least do the performance and role some justice.
He needs to stay retired. Im getting sick of these yesteryear wrestlers that have the al bundy 4 touchdowns in one game attitude.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 05:22:26 PM »
even by 1985 standards that match totally sucked

it would have been better to induct the Hogan/Warrior match in the hall of fame since Warrior is being inducted anyway..
Flower Boy Ran Away

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 05:35:13 PM »
Inducting a match is stupid. Thats like inducting a football game int the football HOF instead of a star player.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »
He needs to stay retired. Im getting sick of these yesteryear wrestlers that have the al bundy 4 touchdowns in one game attitude.

That is a great analogy.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 06:13:12 PM »

That is a great analogy.
Its no wonder the new guys young guys breaking out cant get anywhere.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 07:35:09 PM »
i dont think some of you are getting the point, its has nothing to do with the quality of that match. Its solely down to the fact that it was the main event when it all began, its about honouring the 30 year legacy thereafter. BTW if i had to induct a match based solely on its quality, its Savage vs Steamboat. Faultless execution, nothing in this generation can match that.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 06:22:50 AM »
Its ridiculous. U Don induct a match. Thats like inducting a whole Packers/Jets game in the Football HOF instead of the deserving athlete who preservered in the game.