Author Topic: Australian Beach photos.  (Read 17839 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Australian Beach photos.
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2014, 08:18:05 PM »
I don't go out of my way to shoot birds. Luckily we have some pretty birds here. This is our Rainbow Lorikeet.
Took this one last week on Tamborine Mountain in Southern Queensland.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2014, 08:20:02 PM »

It is a great gift from mother nature, over 100 freshwater lakes and white sandy beaches. Heaven for photographers.

Yes, Fraser Island is on my list but after I photograph Uluru or Ayers Rock as it used to be called. Australia is a huge continent and it is filled with literally thousands of wonderful views to shoot.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2014, 09:17:21 PM »
Here is a beach north of Byron Bay in northern NSW. Not sure of the exact location but near Brunswick Head.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2014, 09:18:59 PM »
Beautiful.

Is it true what they say about the box jellies?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2014, 09:25:03 PM »
Maitland Bay Beach seldom has many people on it because it is a long walk down to get there. In the Bouddi National Park near Killcare on the NSW Central Coast about 1 1/2 hours north of Sydney.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2014, 09:40:49 PM »
Beautiful.

Is it true what they say about the box jellies?

Booty can probably tell you more about those nasty sea creatures. We have nasty Blue Bottle Jellyfish around Sydney. They appear usually when the water is warmer. They have long stingers that feel like bee stings. The lifeguards use vinegar to help relieve the pain. The box jellyfish are smaller but their sting is stronger and people up north in Australia simply avoid swimming in the ocean in most places.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2014, 10:17:04 PM »
Which two are Getbiggers?!

Seen at Broadbeach on Surfers Paradise.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2014, 10:20:37 PM »
Vince you are a beautiful person after all.

If you are being genuine then that is the nicest thing anyone has said about me on the internet!

Never thought I would read a comment like this on Getbig.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2014, 10:24:19 PM »
Booty can probably tell you more about those nasty sea creatures. We have nasty Blue Bottle Jellyfish around Sydney. They appear usually when the water is warmer. They have long stingers that feel like bee stings. The lifeguards use vinegar to help relieve the pain. The box jellyfish are smaller but their sting is stronger and people up north in Australia simply avoid swimming in the ocean in most places.
vinegar does not relieve the pain.... It actually makes it possible to remove the jelly fish from your body. That is why we locals carry vinegar in our cars during summer. A wetsuit will protect you.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2014, 10:31:59 PM »
Thanks for that Booty. I guess putting something on the sting sites makes us feel a bit better. Reminder to self to carry vinegar when I venture up north.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2014, 10:34:21 PM »
Burleigh Heads is a great place. When I was there just after sunrise there were lots of people around. Walking, running, doing exercise, etc. Here was a group from an exercise class.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2014, 10:45:31 PM »
Thanks for that Booty. I guess putting something on the sting sites makes us feel a bit better. Reminder to self to carry vinegar when I venture up north.
it does not ease the pain. The tentacles attach to your skin and the vinegar enables you to be able to pull the dam thing off you. That is the use for vinegar.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2014, 10:48:56 PM »
Just around the corner from Bondi Beach is Mackenzie Bay then Tamarama Beach and then Bronte Beach. Some mornings you get a huge surf coming in and what a sight it is. I am seldom there in the morning but they have a Sculpture by the Sea event every November so I make sure I go then.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2014, 10:57:05 PM »
it does not ease the pain. The tentacles attach to your skin and the vinegar enables you to be able to pull the dam thing off you. That is the use for vinegar.

I read what they have on Wiki re these nasty creatures. Interesting. Do they have nets in the ocean at Mackay? Otherwise where does one swim up there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_jellyfish

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2014, 11:41:17 PM »
Here is a beach that hardly anyone swims at. It is on the opposite side of Palm Beach in Sydney's north. The water here is called Pittwater and it is popular with sail boats. Some days you get lucky and have interesting cloud patterns. Here there was also low clouds for an amazing sky.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2014, 11:45:16 PM »
Sometimes you have to cheat and put things into a photo that weren't there. I like the sandstone formations and was shooting them when a fit guy ran past. I got a photo of him then placed him and his shadow in the photo of the Putty Beach sandstone. Putty Beach is an hour and a half north of Sydney. The cliffs here are lit by the sun only in the summer months early in the morning and late in the afternoon.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2014, 11:48:49 PM »
There are so many wonderful beaches near Sydney. Here is another one at Forster which is a few hours north of Sydney.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2014, 11:52:21 PM »
Most photographers love sunsets and I surely do. This one is special to me because my Mum died on the day I took this photo...Dec 5, 2012. She was almost 96.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2014, 12:03:10 AM »
The Pinnacles are in the far south of NSW near a town called Eden. Had a long, long walk to get there along a beach. What a beautiful formation. Love those rich colours. Lots of beautiful things to see in Australia.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2014, 12:07:02 AM »
Sometimes people do things and act as interesting subjects. This gal was doing Yoga exercises on a concrete roof next to the beach at Coogee. Coogee means 'bad smell' in the Aboriginee language. Wonder what stunk around there? After a downpour in the summer a storm water outlet releases all manner of debris and dog droppings out to sea. That sure stinks!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2014, 12:18:05 AM »
One of my projects is to capture the Surfers Paradise skyline in sharp detail. Not easy most of the year because it is too hot and atmospheric distortion spoils the photos. I have found a few good lookouts and have spotted an even better one that is closer but I will have to negotiate to get there. Ah, the things photographers will do to get that special shot.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2014, 12:22:54 AM »
If you are lucky you catch a storm heading your way. Look at the menacing clouds here. I was near my car and about to race ahead of the storm but it was faster than the traffic would allow.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2014, 12:30:16 AM »
People always are interesting. Here is a job most Getbiggers could do if they trained for it.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2014, 12:39:16 AM »
Newcastle is about 2 hours north of Sydney. Used to be a big industrial town. They have some lovely beaches there, too.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2014, 12:46:22 AM »
From my archives in 2004. Times have changed. Beautiful gals would go topless trying to look healthy and tanned. The overseas visitors didn't mind being topless. Naturally I recorded these scenes for history.