Author Topic: milk thistle  (Read 2411 times)

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
milk thistle
« on: January 10, 2006, 01:05:14 PM »
Here is marble's original post on milk thistle.  Hope you find it interesting:

there's persistant bullshit circulating stating that silymarin is bad to take along with orals because it increases the rate at which the liver metabolises the drug.  this is false.  either no effect or the opposite has been found with both alcohol and aspirin:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3398694&dopt=Abstract

in vitro evidence suggests that silymarin actually inhibits drug metabolism, causing steroids to circulate in the body longer.  most steroid breakdown is done by the cyp3a4 enzyme, which is significantly(dose dependant, but at least a 65% slower rate) inhibited by silymarin:

http://dmd.aspetjournals.org/cgi/content/full/28/11/1270

so why have users reported decreased steroid effects when using silymarin when the opposite should be true?

i found this study which has fascinating consequences:

http://carcin.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/full/22/9/1399

a choice excerpt:

"SB decreased androgen-stimulated growth and prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels in LNCaP cells (6). In this study, we further evaluated the effects of SM and SB on androgen action. We found that SM and SB down-regulate several androgen-regulated genes, including PSA, human glandular kallikrein (hK2) and an immunophilin, FKBP51, mainly by inhibiting the transactivation activity of the AR. More interestingly, we show that SM and SB can inhibit nuclear localization of the AR. Thus this report provides a novel mechanism by which SM and SB inhibit function of the AR."

or, in plain(er) english, when an androgen comes to a cell it passes through the cell membrane and binds to an androgen receptor in the cytoplasm.  upon binding, the receptor/androgen bundle float to the nucleus to tell which tell the cell to alter its behaviour, i.e. in this case, "synthesize more protein and grow larger".  different androgens probably relay different messages, which is why particular stacks seem to be more effective than others, despite all binding to the same receptor.

silymarin inhibits this either by preventing androgen/receptor bundles from ever reaching the nucleus, or by allowing the bundle to drift out of the nucleus easily once there.

i.e. all androgens, oral or injectable, will not work nearly as well.  avoid silymarin, and please spread the word.  feel free to repost this anywhere with proper acknowledgements to both marble and getbig.

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
Re: milk thistle
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 01:07:19 PM »
freak your amazing man

we owe you . . .
1 life 1 liver

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 01:11:21 PM »
Here is marble's original post on milk thistle.  Hope you find it interesting:

Interesting.

So it inhibits metabolization of AAS.

Good job, Freaker.

Now.............roll the Marble back over here so he can help us. 

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

sportingsteroids

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 02:31:02 PM »
i read texts thay are really good
w

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 02:35:46 PM »
freak your amazing man

we owe you . . .
Agreed.

Good info to know.

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 03:45:26 PM »
marble did have some great posts here, miss his knowledge but there are plenty of bros that can fill his shoes, keep up the good work.

muscle
muscle

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 04:00:31 PM »
From what I understand NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine) will do a better job of raising glutathione levels than milk thistle.  As such, using NAC and even ALA for liver protection would be better choices.  Whether or not NAC or ALA affect drug metabolism in such a way as silymarin I'm not sure, as I haven't looked into it.

BIGMIKE

• Getbig III
  • PAIN IS JUST A FOUR LETTER WORD
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 06:29:41 PM »
From what I understand NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine) will do a better job of raising glutathione levels than milk thistle.  As such, using NAC and even ALA for liver protection would be better choices.  Whether or not NAC or ALA affect drug metabolism in such a way as silymarin I'm not sure, as I haven't looked into it.
I WAS TOLD THAT MILK THISTLE WOULD INHIBIT GAINS BUT NEVER KNEW WHY...IN ANY CASE,YOU GUYS SHOULD LOOK UP LIV52.  http://www.herbal-provider.com/liver-care-liv-52.html ALL THE INGREDIENTS ARE LISTED.I'M SURE YOU'LL FIND IT VERY USEFUL...

bravo

• Getbig II
  • Self Inflicted!!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 08:05:16 PM »
why not take tationil every 3 weeks as a standard precaution?  I have on my current and last cycle.  my post cycle LFT's were perfect.