Author Topic: Player in NJ bridge scandal will talk for immunity  (Read 2654 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Player in NJ bridge scandal will talk for immunity
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »
http://news.msn.com/us/player-in-nj-bridge-scandal-will-talk-for-immunity

Player in NJ bridge scandal will talk for immunity

David Wildstein has already supplied a legislative committee with the most damning documents in the case so far.

TRENTON, N.J. — The former appointee of Gov. Chris Christie who directed lane closures that backed up traffic for hours in one New Jersey town is reiterating that he is ready to share more information if he can be granted immunity from prosecution.

Meanwhile, 17 other people and three organizations are being issued subpoenas as lawmakers try to learn exactly how the September lane closures on an approach to the George Washington Bridge from the community of Fort Lee happened and why.

David Wildstein, whom Christie appointed to a position in the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, has already supplied a legislative committee with the most damning documents in the case so far, including an email from a Christie aide saying it was "time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee," a sign that the lane-closing plot was hatched by Christie's aides as a political vendetta.

Wildstein's lawyer Alan Zegas told The Associated Press on Friday that there has not been any offer of immunity from the U.S. Attorney's Office, which is reviewing the matter. "If he has immunity from the relevant entities, he'll talk," Zegas said.

Related: Experts see possible charges in NJ bridge scandal

Wildstein, who resigned in December, appeared last week before a legislative committee investigating the closures but refused to answer any questions. He cited his right not to incriminate himself. The committee found him to be in contempt and referred the case to a prosecutor.

On Thursday, both chambers of the Legislature passed resolutions authorizing special investigative committees to continue the probes.

John Wisniewski, chairman of the Assembly's committee, announced that 20 subpoenas were being issued seeking documents related to the bridge closure.

He previously indicated that two former Christie aides who have been fired would be among them. But he said he would not release the full list until the subpoenas are served.

Matt Mowers, Christie's former regional political director for his re-election campaign, was among those subpoenaed.

The New Hampshire GOP, where Mowers recently started work as executive director, released a statement saying Mowers had been subpoenaed and offering support for him.

Christie has apologized but denied any knowledge of the plot.

On Thursday, his administration announced it had hired a legal team to deal with investigations by state lawmakers, a U.S. senator and federal prosecutors.

Christie himself, meanwhile, gave a speech at an event outside those at the State House for the first time in more than a week, telling people in a community devastated by Superstorm Sandy in 2012 that storm recovery remains his top priority.

"I am focused as completely this morning as I was when I woke up on the morning of Oct. 30, 2012, and nothing will distract me from getting the job done," he said. "Nothing."

On Friday, he's scheduled to administer a ceremonial swearing-in for a new justice on the state Supreme Court and then head to Florida for multiple political fundraisers.

___

Porter reported from Newark. Associated Press writers Geoff Mulvihill in Manahawkin and Holly Ramer in Concord, N.H., also contributed to this story.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Player in NJ bridge scandal will talk for immunity
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »
This will only get interesting if they can somehow rope Christie into this. Otherwise, he will just blame his underlings and no one will care what becomes of them.

Imagine how pissed you might be if you did this under the order or the Governors office only to have them throw you under the bus, talk about how you were the "bad apple", etc..

I can imagine there would be some bad blood

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 03:04:51 PM »
This will only get interesting if they can somehow rope Christie into this. Otherwise, he will just blame his underlings and no one will care what becomes of them.

If there were laws broken, then you can bet this guy will face very tough prosecution.  

There was a whole lot of info redacted from those emails.  Plenty of lawsuits looking at this guy too, I'd bet.  

I know boehnner says it's time to move on from this, but seems like it's going to be months.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 03:36:55 PM »
That's exactly what occurred. Happens everyday in the corporate and political world. However, Christie was savy enough to become the top guy so it's likely (although not certain) that he was smart enough to insulate himself.

True.  Plausible deniability isn't just a movie line. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 03:40:54 PM »
True.  Plausible deniability isn't just a movie line. 

it might keep Christie out of jail, but as far as Presidential politics, it might be enough to sink his 2016 hopes.

If it's true, it means the dude was completely out of the loop before it happened, while it happened, and made 2 definitive statements about it without investigating it himself.  Just taking the word of underlings like a fool.  Voters don't want a prez that is so easily duped.  I mean, if a couple of local goofballs can fool him so easily, imagine when he's up against powerful nations.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »
If Christi was not involved it will not prevent him from being elected president.  If this broke much closer to election day, then it would have an impact.  But two years is an eternity in politics.  If he is exonerated this will be nothing more than a footnote, with losers like Lawrence O'Donnell being primarily the ones talking about it. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 04:19:09 PM »
If Christi was not involved it will not prevent him from being elected president.  If this broke much closer to election day, then it would have an impact.  But two years is an eternity in politics.  If he is exonerated this will be nothing more than a footnote, with losers like Lawrence O'Donnell being primarily the ones talking about it. 

I think just the accusations of he's being involved - if they arrive - will be enough to sink him.

Sure, there will always be loyalists to him saying "but but but you can't PROVE it..."

If ONE person on his team says at ANY point, he knew about it or endorsed it, it's over for 2016 prez hopes.  Even RUSH has pointed out the slip-ups in Christie's retelling of what he knew and when.  Christie "accidentally" changed what day he learned of it on... Rush caught him in that one, and actually pointed it out.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 07:09:46 PM »
I think just the accusations of he's being involved - if they arrive - will be enough to sink him.

Sure, there will always be loyalists to him saying "but but but you can't PROVE it..."

If ONE person on his team says at ANY point, he knew about it or endorsed it, it's over for 2016 prez hopes.  Even RUSH has pointed out the slip-ups in Christie's retelling of what he knew and when.  Christie "accidentally" changed what day he learned of it on... Rush caught him in that one, and actually pointed it out.

Yet you'll likely argue that Benghazi won't sink Hillary. Get the fuck out of here.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 07:21:07 PM »
Yet you'll likely argue that Benghazi won't sink Hillary. Get the fuck out of here.

yeah because Benghazi is just like the bridge closure scandal

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 07:21:51 PM »
A rare rational discussion on GB. I'm impressed.

yep, did you notice the missing people who usually ruin threads hadn't yet posted

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 07:48:55 PM »
yeah because Benghazi is just like the bridge closure scandal

Hey you pos - 4 died in bnghazi remember?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 07:59:18 PM »
Hey you pos - 4 died in bnghazi remember?

thread officially ruined

go back and look at the Hilary clip that I posted and stay off this thread unless you want to discuss the topic at hand

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 08:01:47 PM »
thread officially ruined

go back and look at the Hilary clip that I posted and stay off this thread unless you want to discuss the topic at hand

Hillary should trip and fall into a tank of sharks for her role in Benghazi   - F her that nasty commie worthless hag

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 08:03:11 PM »
Hillary should trip and fall into a tank of sharks for her role in Benghazi   - F her that nasty commie worthless hag

get off the thread

if you want to talk about Hilary or Benghazi go start a thread or bump an old one

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:11:38 PM »
get off the thread

if you want to talk about Hilary or Benghazi go start a thread or bump an old one

STFU twinkness.   Christie is a clown and petty politician - but spare me the outrage.   If you are upset over this andnot Benghazi or the other Obama scandals  - you are just a typical leftists hack

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »
STFU twinkness.   Christie is a clown and petty politician - but spare me the outrage.   If you are upset over this andnot Benghazi or the other Obama scandals  - you are just a typical leftists hack

there are an abundance of threads on this board where you can work through the symptoms of your mental health issues

go find one

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 08:36:04 PM »
Gov. Chris Christie's office ordered to surrender text messages and phone records to state panel investigating George Washington Bridge lane closing scandal

Gov. Chris Christie’s office was ordered to surrender everything from text messages to telephone records to a state committee investigating the “Bridgegate” scandal.
The Republican governor’s office was served with a detailed 12-page subpoena — one of 20 delivered in a blitz of Christie’s aides, appointees and inner circle, officials confirmed Friday.
The eight subpoenaed Christie staffers were all served at the governor’s office in Trenton.
The subpoena for Christie’s office, sent to the “Custodian of Records” in Trenton, demanded information involving the Port Authority on the Sept. 9-12 lane closings at the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee, N.J.
It also requested communications on “any other matter raising concerns about abuse of government power or an attempt to conceal an abuse of government power.”

The governor’s office, like the others served, was ordered to turn over all the relevant information by Feb. 3. The governor’s reelection campaign, Chris Christie For Governor Inc., was also subpoenaed.
Among those targeted were Christie’s top three choices at the Port Authority: Chairman David Samson, ex-Deputy Executive Director Bill Baroni and executive David Wildstein.

Christie’s closest advisers, from his press secretary Michael Drewniak to his chief counsel Charlie McKenna, were also served. The governor was not personally given a subpoena.

Others publicly identified Friday were Christie’s incoming chief of staff Regina Egea, reelection campaign manager Bill
Stepien, former campaign aide Matt Mowers, Evan Ridley, deputy chief of communications Maria Comella and current chief of staff Kevin O’Dowd.

Drewniak’s wife, GOP fund-raiser Nicole Davidman Drewniak, was also subpoenaed.
A pair of PA executives along with PA Police Benevolent Association head Paul Nunziato were also subpoenaed.

The most obvious name on the list was former Christie deputy chief of staff Bridget Anne Kelly, fired last week as the scandal mushroomed.
Kelly has yet to speak publicly about the mess that she ordered up in an email to Wildstein, whose lawyer said his client is willing to testify about “Bridgegate” — if granted immunity.
Wildstein, forced to resign his $150,000-a-year position by the scandal, took the Fifth Amendment repeatedly when called by a state Assembly panel earlier this month.
His attorney, Alan Zegas, said Friday that the Jersey Republican would gladly answer questions under the right circumstances.
“If he has immunity from the relevant entities, he’ll talk,” Zegas told The Associated Press.
The lawyer specifically said there was no offer of immunity from the U.S. Attorney in Newark — one of several entities investigating the flap that threatened Christie’s 2016 White House hopes.
At the Jan. 9 hearing where Wildstein refused to answer questions, Zegas had suggested his client’s lips could be loosened by offers of immunity from federal prosecutors and the attorneys general of New York and New Jersey.
An earlier subpoena for documents led to Wildstein’s surrender of the damning emails that exposed the bogus “traffic study” as political payback.
Lanes at the George Washington Bridge were shut down, causing four-hour traffic jams, in a slap at the mayor of Fort Lee, N.J., for his refusal to endorse Christie’s runaway reelection campaign.
The assembly panel sent out 20 subpoenas on Thursday, targeting 17 people and three agencies.

The initial paperwork only requested emails and documents, rather than testimony, from its targets.
Wildstein, a high school classmate of Christie, resigned in December along with Baroni.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/gov-chris-christie-office-served-subpoena-bridgegate-probe-article-1.1583256

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 10:14:05 PM »

I agree here.  I think he could recover from this.  (But I from CA so that bridge shit doesn't mean jack to me like it might to folks that have to deal with it.)

The real danger for him, I think, is that it's probably not an isolated incident and if somebody really starts talking, there could be lots of more juicy stories to sink his presidential hopes.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 10:59:46 PM »

Because Hilary can pass that shit right up the ladder to Obama.  During Benghazi, Obama was the man picking out a tie to go suck up to Jay-Z.  His orders would have superceded Hilary's that night.  He was watching that shit live on TV, giving the stand-down order.  Hilary was an underling.  So while she's a bag of shit that doesn't deserve office for many many reasons, I don't see this as something that could sink her. 

In the Christie case, I think it'll be the cover-up that is way worse than the actual closing.  Although a woman died stuck in traffic created for political reason because her amberlamps was stuck, that doesn't help things. 

and RRKore is correct, it could open up floodgates of people trading in the dirt they have on Christie or each other, in order to get a sweetheart deal. 

The Q here... Does anyone know... the texts they are supoenaing... "Gov. Chris Christie's office ordered to surrender text messages and phone records to state panel" - - - DO they only focus on things directly related, OR do they find other damning things and look at those too?   Are these texts all public record, if the phones are paid for by the state of NJ? 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 07:16:02 AM »
Because Hilary can pass that shit right up the ladder to Obama.  During Benghazi, Obama was the man picking out a tie to go suck up to Jay-Z.  His orders would have superceded Hilary's that night.  He was watching that shit live on TV, giving the stand-down order.  Hilary was an underling.  So while she's a bag of shit that doesn't deserve office for many many reasons, I don't see this as something that could sink her. 

In the Christie case, I think it'll be the cover-up that is way worse than the actual closing.  Although a woman died stuck in traffic created for political reason because her amberlamps was stuck, that doesn't help things. 

and RRKore is correct, it could open up floodgates of people trading in the dirt they have on Christie or each other, in order to get a sweetheart deal. 

The Q here... Does anyone know... the texts they are supoenaing... "Gov. Chris Christie's office ordered to surrender text messages and phone records to state panel" - - - DO they only focus on things directly related, OR do they find other damning things and look at those too?   Are these texts all public record, if the phones are paid for by the state of NJ? 

I think more telling will be if he tries to hide behind Executive Privilege much like Obama.

BTW...Benghazi is way worse and they've already insulated Obama so she can't push it up anywhere.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 08:30:54 AM »

I think more telling will be if he tries to hide behind Executive Privilege much like Obama.

BTW...Benghazi is way worse and they've already insulated Obama so she can't push it up anywhere.

Insulated obama?  Huh?  Every repub on fox news is screaming about obama's responsibility here, it's all over the getbig newsfeed. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 08:33:11 AM »
Insulated obama?  Huh?  Every repub on fox news is screaming about obama's responsibility here, it's all over the getbig newsfeed. 

I find it hard to believe that during those 4 days Christie was never told about this or told something so ludicrous and believed it.   I can see him screaming for answers and people are like "traffic study" and he just buys it at face value. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 09:02:49 AM »
Someone on this board should start a thread about Bengazi
Even better, Congress should have hearings so we can get to the bottom of it and maybe Hilary can even testify.
If this Bengazi story get's out then Obama's chances for re-election are over and Hilary approval rating is sunk
Maybe if we just say the word Bengazi enough times that we can actually manufacture a scandal where none exists
Shit, what if Republicans in the House cut funding for embassy security. 

Man, this is so much like the bridge scandal in New Jersey.  The parallels are just unbelievable

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 09:06:52 AM »
 :D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 09:10:25 AM »
Here's the guy the Christie claims to barely know ..... and who he threw under the bus.

Port Authority job created for Christie ally, source says

Give him a position at the top of the agency; he's a good friend of the governor.
That's how David Wildstein was introduced to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in 2010,
according to a former employee with extensive knowledge of the agency's hiring practices.   Soon after, Wildstein was named the director of Interstate Capital Projects, a title that previously had not existed at the bi-state agency, setting in motion a career that would eventually place the former political blogger at the center of the lane closures controversy at the George Washington Bridge. Wildstein catapulted into the national spotlight with his response to the infamous e-mail from New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's aide: "Time for some traffic problems in Ft. Lee," Bridget Kelly wrote. Wildstein responded, "Got it."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/16/politics/christie-wildstein-port-authority/

This guy seems ready to spill his guts as soon as he gets immunity