Author Topic: Is Bodybuilding dying?!  (Read 12454 times)

Europe

• Getbig IV
Is Bodybuilding dying?!
« on: January 18, 2014, 06:17:41 AM »
Hello, longtime lurker here! Always been a fan of a great physique, however these later years I find lots of pro-bodybuilders repulsive. Here in Scandinavia the interest for aesthetics(musclemania, Classic bodybuilding) is growing, slowly but surely.
Friends who used to be good followers of Mr.Olympia and Mr. Arnold Classic have totally gone either mma, thaibox or other sport.
My prognosis is that Pro-Bodybuilding will implode or simply disappear into a oblivion, considering that this is how it looks right now.

this
vs

vs

What will "IT" take in order to change bodybuilding in it's direction? Just let it die and wait for another reform or sport? Will it ever change? Solutions??
thanks have a good day getbiggers!!

Wez

• Getbig IV
Re: Is Bodybuilding dying?!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 06:27:06 AM »
Reminds me of that joke " bodybuilding isn't dead it just smells funny"

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 06:48:46 AM »
Was it ever alive? Bodybuilding is and always was a niche sport!

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 06:52:43 AM »
No worries Europe.   This world still has plenty of schmoes, hoes and pantied bros.

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 06:53:04 AM »
bodybuilding is not a sport,it's a fucken muscle male pageant,except that a bodybuilder doesn't have to answer questions when on stage
T

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 07:04:54 AM »
bodybuilding is not a sport,it's a fucken muscle male pageant,except that a bodybuilder doesn't have to answer questions when on stage

x2 the WBF days were at the height of said pageantry. WOWWWW! LOOK AT THAT! GARY STRYYYYDOM! TOP HOT AND CANE! TALK ABOUT STEPPING OUT FOR A NIGHT ON THE TOWN! Oh brother. Vince's schmoedom rivaled that of the Master Blaster himself.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 07:17:27 AM »
Bodybuilding has always been a subculture of a sport. All the magazines are dying out. The sport has always been magazine driven. Now Men's Health sells more than all of the bodybuilding magazines combined. One bodybuilding magazine owner duplicated the Men's Health magazine's look calling it Men's Fitness and it sells great just on confused buyers looking for Men's Health.  

Bodybuilding in the 60's, 70's and early 80's had guys with relatively small waists and many had dense looking muscle. The top pros of today their muscles have the strangest look. It looks like it's inflated with fluid instead of being muscle. Just balloon bag muscle look. No normal guy would want to look like that.

The sport attracts insecure men for the most part and now that segment is going into jui jitsu. Why look like you can kick ass when you actually can learn to do it for real?  MMA is the replacement sport for bodybuilding. Guys who are into jui jitsu, running, or any real sport realizes there is a difference between truly being an in shape athlete rather than having a cosmetic  drugged physique that is temporary until drug use is stopped.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 07:25:03 AM »
Is Bodybuilding dying?!

Europe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 07:31:33 AM »
Then why is it that Ronnie Coleman, Arnold, Samir, etc.. all of them call it a "Sport" ??

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 07:35:13 AM »
Brutal ad for same sex marriage...  :D

Europe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 07:40:33 AM »
Was it ever alive? Bodybuilding is and always was a niche sport!
Then why are you all here?? why care about Mr.Olympia at all? why create a bodybuilding forum and degrade it?
Reason is that I think Bodybuilding is still a young sport, it only needs a right direction, kinda like when UFC was dying then Dana White took it to the right direction.

I know steroids will be an issue and supplements company making some competitors the winner but if NO one says anything, Bodybuilding is phucking everybody's ass and people seem to like it!??

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 08:02:23 AM »
Then why are you all here?? why care about Mr.Olympia at all? why create a bodybuilding forum and degrade it?
Reason is that I think Bodybuilding is still a young sport, it only needs a right direction, kinda like when UFC was dying then Dana White took it to the right direction.

I know steroids will be an issue and supplements company making some competitors the winner but if NO one says anything, Bodybuilding is phucking everybody's ass and people seem to like it!??

Shut up.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 08:07:14 AM »

Europe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 08:17:45 AM »

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 08:25:05 AM »
Make me!!

Nolan... think about the children  :D

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 08:26:03 AM »
I remember a time when the big networks used to carry bodybuilding contests. Now you can't get any air time. No one is interested. Synthol, and insulin put the nails in the coffin. These guys walk on stage ripped with bloffy looking muscles, and a gut that resembles the third trimester of pregnancy. The women look like Another Frankenstein creation.

Uncle Junior

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 08:31:22 AM »
Bodybuilding really for many people is a deeply personal and spiritual journey which for many people does not need to gravitate to competing on stage.

So really the question you are asking "Is Bodybuilding dead" is kinda flawed because you are really looking at the highly competitive drug taking echelon of the sport/pageant show or whatever you want to call it and does not represent the ideals or aspirations of millions of bodybuilders/weight trainers/ gym rats across gym all over the world.

The reality is that "bodybuilding" has never been more popular. It's just the your definition of what bodybuilding is may be different to mine etc.

With the obesity epidemic conquering the Western/European/American lifestyle and putting increasing pressure on the healthcare system  it only stands to reason that gyms will invariably become more and more populated and one of the principal activities will always be and remain weight training.

Clearly fads will come and go but bodybuilding/weight training is always here to stay.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 08:33:20 AM »
It's dying in Canada and the US, but it seems to be gaining momentum in Europe and the rest of the world. For the most part.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

IT'S THE JUDGES FAULT.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 08:36:17 AM »
Bodybuilding really for many people is a deeply personal and spiritual journey

:)

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 08:42:54 AM »
Back in the 90s id see photos in the magazines of bodybuilers on beaches with hot women which made bodybuilding appealing.

These days people looking into bodybuilding see guys sucking dick under towels, g4p and grapefruit fucking ect ect and think to themselves fuck this homo shit ant take up other activities.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 08:44:42 AM »
Back in the 90s id see photos in the magazines of bodybuilers on beaches with hot women which made bodybuilding appealing.

These days people looking into bodybuilding see guys sucking dick under towels, g4p and grapefruit fucking ect ect and think to themselves fuck this homo shit ant take up other activities.

This.

MD and Flex always put the biggest grainiest guy on the cover of their mags. Who the hell does that appeal to? A very niche market.

Bodybuilding was better when the market wasn't so narrow and more people felt it was attainable. That's one of the reasons Mens Physique and Womens bikini are flourishing.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 09:16:21 AM »
This.

MD and Flex always put the biggest grainiest guy on the cover of their mags. Who the hell does that appeal to? A very niche market.

Bodybuilding was better when the market wasn't so narrow and more people felt it was attainable. That's one of the reasons Mens Physique and Womens bikini are flourishing.
ok, if you were really a woman, you'd have commented on that link...
Because, that is apparently the "look" that women go for (not too large, not too small).

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 09:17:33 AM »
ok, if you were really a woman, you'd have commented on that link...
Because, that is apparently the "look" that women go for (not too large, not too small).

What link?

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 09:21:27 AM »
it never lived, it was all back-room cult and illegal drugs

add to that protein powder

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World