Author Topic: BS exaggerations on BBing boards.  (Read 6179 times)

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
BS exaggerations on BBing boards.
« on: January 10, 2006, 11:32:15 PM »
I know that exaggerations on the internet are as common as people that just work their arms in gyms.  However people really need to think about some of the things that they say before they say them.  Some of the exaggerations I hear all the time are so funny, I though I would list my top 4 favorites on BBing boards.

1.   Bullshit arm measurements:  Everyone seems to have 17”18” and even 19 and 20+” inch arms.  First off, not to mention any names, but the CORRECT AND ONLY way you are supposed to measure arms is UNFLEXED, cold “no pump” relaxed with your arm hanging at your side.  If you have a high % of bf, that doesn’t count either.  Lots of obese people have 20+inch arms.  A true 17” arm is large, a 19” is very large and anything over 20” while being fairly lean is insane.  It seems like everyone’s arms are at least 17” and usually “19-20.” 

2.   Bullshit BF%: This one is the 2nd most common thing I see.  I see tons of people claming to be like, for example 5’11” 270+lbs with below 10%bf.   First off, the pinch test unless if done by a true expert is usually too low.  “I saw some asswipe that was probably 12%+ get measured on MTV and it showed him at 6% with some girl measuring him.”  If you really are 5”11” at 10% bf weighing 270+ “assuming you are holding very little water” you could probably be a pro assuming your shape is OK and you can diet down to the 4-5% range for a contest.  That is a ton of muscle.  To give you and idea, a true 12% is lean, 10-8% is very lean 6-7% is insanely lean shredded.  And anything below that is in the “peeled” range.  This means you will feel like complete shit, with face drawn in, you will have veins showing everywhere, and will either be dying or a bb a day before the show.

3.   Bullshit Calorie intakes: I see all the time, people saying “I take in 5000-7000 calories a day when bulking”  That is a whole hell of a lot of calories if you truly measure it all out.  That amount calories for any extended period of time would make all but the most freakiest of metabolism’s and genetics “Dave Palumbo type metabolism” fatter than hell.  These ultra huge amount of calories is unnecessary for 99% of people to put on muscle mass.  You do need a lot, don’t get me wrong, but most ultra high calorie diets result in much more fat gain than they do muscle. 

4.   Not really an over exaggeration, but I though I would throw this in anyway.  The squat and deadlift Nazi’s.  The squat Nazi’s have been around forever.  The deadlift Nazi’s are newer.  They came out in real force after Ronnie Coleman’s unbelievable video.  These people are convinced that if you don’t do squats, you can’t possibly have any kind of leg development, and if you don’t deadlift, you can’t possibly get any kind of back development.  That is the exact same thing as saying if you don’t bench press, you’ll never get any kind of chest development.  These exercises are great for some people and “yes I do them both” but to say you HAVE to do them to have any kind of decent development in back or legs is ridiculous.  Notice the lack of “bench press Nazi’s?”  My theory on this is that many people have a very shitty bench press and say the bench is a worthless overrated exercise to compensate for their shitty bench.   Just because Ronnie does them, doesn’t mean shit.  Ronnie’s back would grow huge no matter what exercise he does.  Just because they work great for him doesn’t mean you will have the same results.  He is an absolute freak of nature. 

There are several more on the list, but those are my favorites.  I am sure other people can come up with more. 

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
Re: BS exaggerations on BBing boards.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 11:44:20 PM »
HAHA. How small can someone be if they feel inferior when they read about someone's MASSIVE 17 inch arm? HAHAHA. It's obvious this guy must have really shitty genetics - I mean he actually took the time to type all this crap out. hahahaah
"Shut the F up and train"

Beyond Genetics

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 04:02:39 AM »
Arm measurements by bodybuilders have always been taken cold and flexed.

Have you ever seen a BB mag where the guys measurement was taken relaxed with a straight arm?

(nothing)

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 04:15:27 AM »
arm measurements are done flexed and cold
imbelishing the truth is part of the internet, it is not just reserved to BB baords
some guys talking about higher calories may be streching it, may not be consistant, or maybe they are on gear. and as far as i know you need the extra calories while on the sauce.
look at all of the best legs in BB history, all of them did squats
the top 2 best backs in BB history both rely on deads. dexter jackson also credits deads as single exercise that has improve his back in the last 2 years.
barbell bench can go either way. most of the guys with great chest started with barbell or are continuing with barbell i.e. arnold, markus, and dennis james.

but this is an opinion board so speak on my friend, but don't go and calling people out because you came across like an ass.
fat till furthe

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 10:30:31 AM »
I think you could've cut to the chase on your post and just stated that less 5% of bb-board posters actually train regularly.

MOS

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 10:35:38 AM »
liquid_c seems to be a sensible person to me.Your biceps should be measured cold in the same way body weight should be taken in the morning after getting out of bed.After a day of eating if you take your bodyweight of course you'll be a few lbs bigger.Same thing as measuring your arms after an arm workout.Of course they'll be bigger but what person walks around all day w/pumped arms?
I also find it amazing how many ppl. on these boards claim to be 6' tall & over carrying 230+ lbs. of bodyweight.If that was the case there would probably be a lot more pros in the IFBB ranks that size yet how many pros are 6' tall or more?Very few.I myself am 6'2" tall & there is not too many ppl. in life that I have met that I have to look up to or see that walk around that I can talk to at eye level.BTW I believe I am under 200 lbs now but I don't own a bath room scale so it's an unknown but think I am in the 180-195 range.Quite a few kids play on these boards as Lee Priest says I think.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 11:40:57 AM »
When they say (and you know who you are), "I'm 110 percent natural!"

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 04:27:47 PM »
The proper way to measure the bicep is cold & with your forearm straight and not bent all the way to almost your delt , and bodybuilding is NOT about numbers , it matters not how big your bicep is , only on how it looks and like stated before a perfectly balance & proportioned 17" arm will look leaps & bounds better than a 20" arm with no detail and separtion , thats the problem with the sport today its turned into a numbers game , how much you weigh , how low the bodyfat , how big is your chest , how much do you bench , how much do you squat , etc , back then measurements were taken to gauge progress not as a status symbol .

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 04:38:41 PM »
The proper way to measure the bicep is cold & with your forearm straight and not bent all the way to almost your delt , and bodybuilding is NOT about numbers , it matters not how big your bicep is , only on how it looks and like stated before a perfectly balance & proportioned 17" arm will look leaps & bounds better than a 20" arm with no detail and separtion , thats the problem with the sport today its turned into a numbers game , how much you weigh , how low the bodyfat , how big is your chest , how much do you bench , how much do you squat , etc , back then measurements were taken to gauge progress not as a status symbol .

Proper according to what? I've been under the impression that a measured arm is done flexed,cold. Every time Iv'e ever seen someone tape their arm that's what they did. Maybe if you are buying a suit or something but that doesnt apply here.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 04:42:15 PM »
Proper according to what? I've been under the impression that a measured arm is done flexed,cold. Every time Iv'e ever seen someone tape their arm that's what they did. Maybe if you are buying a suit or something but that doesnt apply here.

No I don't mean a straight forearm , I meant at a 90 degree angle , like Casey Viator is doing in this pic.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 04:43:26 PM »
No I don't mean a straight forearm , I meant at a 90 degree angle , like Casey Viator is doing in this pic.

Gotcha.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »
i never realized Casey's legs were so small, freaky arms though.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 04:46:59 PM »
i never realized Casey's legs were so small, freaky arms though.

I don't think anything on Casey was small .

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 04:48:52 PM »
they don't really even look big in that shot, look at his right leg, look how skinny it is, anyone's legs are going to look bigger when they pull their foot up like that, oldest trick in the book.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 05:49:31 PM »
they don't really even look big in that shot, look at his right leg, look how skinny it is, anyone's legs are going to look bigger when they pull their foot up like that, oldest trick in the book.

Yeah, you're an authority on legs. Half of his right leg is behind the other you dumb ass.

Still waiting for your pic, gimp.

Beyond Genetics

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 06:21:06 PM »
Yeah, you're an authority on legs. Half of his right leg is behind the other you dumb ass.

Still waiting for your pic, gimp.

I.C.U. might be more fitting for that dead Cyclopse of yours...   just a thought...

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 06:23:05 PM »
I.C.U. might be more fitting for that dead Cyclopse of yours...   just a thought...

Brilliant!

But the cyclokitty is starting to weird me out. Time to change the pic.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 06:34:38 PM »
I know that exaggerations on the internet are as common as people that just work their arms in gyms.  However people really need to think about some of the things that they say before they say them.  Some of the exaggerations I hear all the time are so funny, I though I would list my top 4 favorites on BBing boards.

1.   Bullshit arm measurements:  Everyone seems to have 17”18” and even 19 and 20+” inch arms.  First off, not to mention any names, but the CORRECT AND ONLY way you are supposed to measure arms is UNFLEXED, cold “no pump” relaxed with your arm hanging at your side.  If you have a high % of bf, that doesn’t count either.  Lots of obese people have 20+inch arms.  A true 17” arm is large, a 19” is very large and anything over 20” while being fairly lean is insane.  It seems like everyone’s arms are at least 17” and usually “19-20.” 

2.   Bullshit BF%: This one is the 2nd most common thing I see.  I see tons of people claming to be like, for example 5’11” 270+lbs with below 10%bf.   First off, the pinch test unless if done by a true expert is usually too low.  “I saw some asswipe that was probably 12%+ get measured on MTV and it showed him at 6% with some girl measuring him.”  If you really are 5”11” at 10% bf weighing 270+ “assuming you are holding very little water” you could probably be a pro assuming your shape is OK and you can diet down to the 4-5% range for a contest.  That is a ton of muscle.  To give you and idea, a true 12% is lean, 10-8% is very lean 6-7% is insanely lean shredded.  And anything below that is in the “peeled” range.  This means you will feel like complete shit, with face drawn in, you will have veins showing everywhere, and will either be dying or a bb a day before the show.

3.   Bullshit Calorie intakes: I see all the time, people saying “I take in 5000-7000 calories a day when bulking”  That is a whole hell of a lot of calories if you truly measure it all out.  That amount calories for any extended period of time would make all but the most freakiest of metabolism’s and genetics “Dave Palumbo type metabolism” fatter than hell.  These ultra huge amount of calories is unnecessary for 99% of people to put on muscle mass.  You do need a lot, don’t get me wrong, but most ultra high calorie diets result in much more fat gain than they do muscle. 

4.   Not really an over exaggeration, but I though I would throw this in anyway.  The squat and deadlift Nazi’s.  The squat Nazi’s have been around forever.  The deadlift Nazi’s are newer.  They came out in real force after Ronnie Coleman’s unbelievable video.  These people are convinced that if you don’t do squats, you can’t possibly have any kind of leg development, and if you don’t deadlift, you can’t possibly get any kind of back development.  That is the exact same thing as saying if you don’t bench press, you’ll never get any kind of chest development.  These exercises are great for some people and “yes I do them both” but to say you HAVE to do them to have any kind of decent development in back or legs is ridiculous.  Notice the lack of “bench press Nazi’s?”  My theory on this is that many people have a very shitty bench press and say the bench is a worthless overrated exercise to compensate for their shitty bench.   Just because Ronnie does them, doesn’t mean shit.  Ronnie’s back would grow huge no matter what exercise he does.  Just because they work great for him doesn’t mean you will have the same results.  He is an absolute freak of nature. 

There are several more on the list, but those are my favorites.  I am sure other people can come up with more. 

Actually, cun t, I'm 6'5 and weight 260 lbs, at around 10% bodyfat. I have been as much as 315 lbs, at 6% in the past, when I was dipped to my eyebrows in sauce, taking over 2 000mg of T and trenbolone a week. I had arms measurement of 23' and could dead-lift seven plates a side, for a single. You may be a weakling piece of shit loser, but this doesen't mean that everyone else on this board is. >:(

SUCKMYMUSCLE

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 08:43:13 PM »
body weight should be taken in the morning after getting out of bed

before or after you piss???

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 06:49:38 AM »
  Actually, cun t, I'm 6'5 and weight 260 lbs, at around 10% bodyfat. I have been as much as 315 lbs, at 6% in the past, when I was dipped to my eyebrows in sauce, taking over 2 000mg of T and trenbolone a week. I had arms measurement of 23' and could dead-lift seven plates a side, for a single. You may be a weakling piece of shit loser, but this doesen't mean that everyone else on this board is. >:(

SUCKMYMUSCLE

AHHHHHHHHHH....

OWNED BABY!!!!

;D

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 07:47:44 AM »
Guess it would depend on how bad ya gotta go triple_pickle.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
awesome thread