Author Topic: Getbigger at Surfers Paradise.  (Read 6563 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Getbigger at Surfers Paradise.
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2014, 10:39:17 PM »
Do you ask permission before shooting pictures of strangers?

Unless you are selling your images, you do not legally need anyone’s explicit permission to take a picture in a public space, I personally think it is somewhat ethically dubious to share photos of people you do not know without asking.

Some photographers figure that as long as they make a concerted effort to contact the people I photograph out in public, they are absolved from ethical dubiety. That’s not true and there are some clearly defined legal boundaries.

Claims that people are owed compensation for published likenesses of themselves or their property are becoming more common, even though many are meritless. I advise on whether prospective uses are likely to violate an individual’s rights and represent parties involved in disputed claims.

Harassment of photographers has greatly increased in light of heightened concerns about security.

Sometimes I ask permission to take photos but usually I just shoot away in documentary style.

While we are usually free to take photos it is another thing displaying them. I haven't sold any photos nor used any for advertising. I certainly don't post photos to embarrass anyone.

If people are in tourist areas they will be in photos. Ditto for sporting events. Photographers have to use good judgement re showing their photos.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2014, 10:43:39 PM »
One of what I consider my best photos was taken during a pro surfing contest at Coolangatta a couple of years ago. When I posted it on Flickr someone took exception to it and asked if I had permission. I didn't know who she was and I didn't see her face. She was walking towards the surf and perhaps a 1000 people saw her. Maybe 200 people had cameras there, maybe more! When I posted the photo on dpreview some complained at first but eventually the consensus was that it was okay to shoot such photos and the gal looked great.

Here is that photo. Took a lot to edit out some unwanted distractions...some ugly rocks. One of the best figures I have seen at a beach.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2014, 10:59:45 PM »
This just stunning Vince, dream come true.

I have been meaning a move away from London now for the longest time, I simply can't stand the weather and snotty nature of people here anymore.

I had looked at Sydney as a possible location to move to.

If it wasn't for my business being based here I would have made a move a long time ago.

Inspirational stuff keep it coming.

Regards

London boy for 14 years and I moved away last Tuesday back to my parents' house in Banbury , ready for my move to NZ in just over three weeks  8)

Fuck that place man. Fuck it!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2014, 11:22:01 PM »
I emigrated to Australia in Jan 1971. No regrets except it is a long way home and expensive to travel. I don't miss the winters one bit...never want to see snow again except in photos and on TV.

Here is a scene just after sunrise at Burleigh Heads. There are a lot of early risers doing things at and along the beaches up in Queensland. A great place to live for sure.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2014, 11:25:32 PM »
A photography mate of mine took this photo. At Putty Beach on the NSW Central Coast about 1 1/2 hours north of Sydney. I often carry several cameras when out on a photo trip. The harness allows me to carry 3 DSLR and I have two other cameras in my waist bag.

That way I don't have to change lenses. Sometimes I carry a full backpack with all the kit plus a 500mm Canon lens....and a big tripod. Great exercise and it keeps my calves over 17 1/2 inches.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2014, 12:24:17 AM »
Sometimes I ask permission to take photos but usually I just shoot away in documentary style.

While we are usually free to take photos it is another thing displaying them. I haven't sold any photos nor used any for advertising. I certainly don't post photos to embarrass anyone.

If people are in tourist areas they will be in photos. Ditto for sporting events. Photographers have to use good judgement re showing their photos.

Your photography skills are very good, btw.

I suspect I am somewhat more sensitive to the issue of seeking permission prior to photographing folks because I worked in primary education and the district I worked for had very clear rules disallowing photographing students without express permission from their parents.
You might be surprised to know that many parents even disallowed their kids be photographed for the class pictures taken on picture day. Almost all parents consented to individual photos because these are exclusive to them.

When I designed and built our schools webpage, which included photos of occupied classrooms, playground and other public areas, I had to get permission from the school district superintendent. This was quite a few years ago when people were less paranoid then they are these days.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2014, 12:42:46 AM »
Thanks for the compliment.

I used to teach high school so am aware of some of the rules and restrictions. Today, primary teachers can't put a bandaid on a pupil, nor can they give them a hug.

It is quite bizarre that some parents won't allow their children to be in class photos. That surely is going too far.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 01:25:32 AM »
Do you ask permission before shooting pictures of strangers?

Here is a group of girls at Coogee Beach. I talked to them and asked about all the colours on them. They explained they were in a fun run to raise money for some charity. So I asked them to pose for me and gave them a link to my photos.

No worries here.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 01:45:12 AM »
Not only are there great views and beaches but they have some fantastic trees in Australia. I found this giant tree on Mount Tamborine, which is about 25 km from Surfers. I had a tiny Gorilla tripod so secured it around the huge root and then set a 10 second delay and rushed to get into position and remain still for a time exposure of a few seconds. Not easy to do so I needed several goes to get it right. I used an 8-15 Canon fisheye lens which distorts the Picabeen Palm trees there. What a place those Rain Forests are.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 02:49:24 AM »
Vince great pix. Hey a question for you. A while back some of the beach was eroded due to storms. Have they all been restored to normal now? Also has the light rail along the boulevard now started?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 03:04:07 AM »
I didn't see much sand erosion on the Gold Coast a few weeks ago.

The light rail is operating at Southport but not at Surfers.

travisma

• Getbig II
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2014, 03:31:20 AM »
Hahahahaha….. That right? All gone are they? If you really think that then you really are not familiar with what is going on.

Go have a look at how many chapters there are still in QLD. Sure the Police are cracking down but they did the same in South Australia and still I have many friends riding around with no issues. Same in QLD. Don't believe everything you read on the paper or see on television.

big time, they do not exist here anymore. All clubhouses closed, not allowed to be in a group or wear clothes with club symbols. They have been prosecuted harsher than Jews in Nazi Germany.
Gone.

travisma

• Getbig II
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2014, 03:36:28 AM »
Well sorry you are out of touch with what is going on. Fortunately for myself whom works within the Hotel Industry the growth areas are still Perth, NSW & closely followed by Victoria.

The current climate for adding room accommodation within Queensland is at its lowest for almost ten years. No major redevelopment of Hotels and brands other than the Four Points which is in Brisbane not the Gold Coast. The Marriott just had a face change but no real money spent as the hotel is in financial strain.

Melbourne is adding over 2000 rooms in accommodation this year alone. Same as Sydney and huge developments there as well….

So the Gold Coast is pretty much crap

Quickerblade and trav you guys are out of touch.

Yes prices boomed and then fell. If you bought at the peak you are a fool. Now is the time to be buying as prices have come down are poised to boom due to immigration (both within oz and from overseas) and due to low interest rates.

As for empty shops, yes that was because there was a huge rail infrastructure project going on. It's nearly compete and surfers paradise will again soon thrive. My favorite places are actually mermaid beach and burleigh which I think will double in property values next 5 years

travisma

• Getbig II
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2014, 03:42:36 AM »

Hey Vince. I have a friend whom is quite a famous photographer. Joshua Holko. He is the first and only MOAB master in Australia…. Have a look at his website.

http://www.jholko.com

Funny… He gave up selling Home Automation products to become one of the best photographers in the world.

Not only are there great views and beaches but they have some fantastic trees in Australia. I found this giant tree on Mount Tamborine, which is about 25 km from Surfers. I had a tiny Gorilla tripod so secured it around the huge root and then set a 10 second delay and rushed to get into position and remain still for a time exposure of a few seconds. Not easy to do so I needed several goes to get it right. I used an 8-15 Canon fisheye lens which distorts the Picabeen Palm trees there. What a place those Rain Forests are.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2014, 03:45:12 AM »
I didn't see any high rises under construction on the Gold Coast. The last tall building was the Soul building which was completed a couple of years ago or so.

I really don't care for 'progress' and development. The area is fine just the way it is. The only thing about the Gold Coast is it is spread out so you definitely need a car to get around.

Sorry about the quality of some photos but keeping panoramas below 500Kb isn't easy. Lots of detail is missing at this size.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2014, 04:13:51 AM »
Hey Vince. I have a friend whom is quite a famous photographer. Joshua Holko. He is the first and only MOAB master in Australia…. Have a look at his website.

http://www.jholko.com

Funny… He gave up selling Home Automation products to become one of the best photographers in the world.

I had to look up MOAB masters and found that they use Moab fine art printing paper. So I doubt it is a special award. I had a look at some of his photos as well.

Australia has two masters of photography. Peter Eastway and David Oliver. I have heard them speak at our camera club. To get that title you have to submit portfolios

over a long period and be accepted by a judging panel. I don't pay much attention to photography awards but always enjoy looking at new ideas and portfolios.

Not many make a living out of photography except for those who do weddings and maybe a few sports and commercial photographers.

http://moabpaper.com/moab-masters/

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2014, 04:21:24 AM »
When you are a frequent visitor you get to know some favourite places to take photos. One is by the Nerang River. If there is no wind and no watercraft you can get some nice night photos.

Sophus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »
I have the strange feeling that Vince is talking/answering to himself during this whole thread

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2014, 11:21:17 AM »
Thanks for the compliment.

I used to teach high school so am aware of some of the rules and restrictions. Today, primary teachers can't put a bandaid on a pupil, nor can they give them a hug.

It is quite bizarre that some parents won't allow their children to be in class photos. That surely is going too far.

Yup, no hugs for kiddos. What was weird is some kids were so starved for affection they'd come up and hug the staff if they liked them and kids liked me, probably because although I am a old grandpa, I act like a kid sometimes and I treat kids with the same respect I treat most adults (except a few who post on getbig). LOL.

In some cases there are custodial issues which come into play. We had instances where non-custodial parents would show up and try to take their kids. This could be one reason why some parents didn't want their kids photos publically displayed.

On the other hand, some youngsters start sending their own photos via their smart phones to others and often post them on social media websites. My youngest granddaughter posted a photo of herself on Facebook that although she wasn't exposed in anyway, she looked incredibly sexy for her age. I think she was only 14 at the time. She's 16 now and her current photo isn't so misleading. Perhaps my son or daughter-in-law had a discussion with her. Makes me happy that my kids are adults now.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2014, 12:00:12 PM »
Hahahahaha….. That right? All gone are they? If you really think that then you really are not familiar with what is going on.

Go have a look at how many chapters there are still in QLD. Sure the Police are cracking down but they did the same in South Australia and still I have many friends riding around with no issues. Same in QLD. Don't believe everything you read on the paper or see on television.

Agree 1000%, Bikers & Palmer should unite against Queensland government .
It is hilarious how MC Finks outsmart politicians with name change, o man  ;D
"Association law"  ::) ::) ::)
Official cops numbers, bikers crime in Queensland is 0.98%  ;D

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2014, 12:02:26 PM »
I have the strange feeling that Vince is talking/answering to himself during this whole thread

;D :D

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2014, 12:21:19 PM »
OZ is one of the few places in the world I'm considering retiring to when the time comes.  I'm kind of torn between there and Thailand just because Thailand is cheap as shit and I own a lot of land there.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »
OZ is one of the few places in the world I'm considering retiring to when the time comes.  I'm kind of torn between there and Thailand just because Thailand is cheap as shit and I own a lot of land there.

I was inform that foreigners can own only 49% of any business (or property) in Thailand ??.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2014, 05:29:06 PM »
Vince - those are excellent photos - keep em coming! I can't wait to get back the Coast.

Teutonic - its easy to buy land in Thailand as a foreigner if you know how.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »
Teutonic - the bikers in Australia are by and large criminal scum. The Government is doing the right thing kicking them out.

As for changing names, get this - my friend from the coast said there was one guy who joined/started a new gang - the name "The Mongols". Hillarious thing was the guy then tattoted the name MONGOLS right on his forehead (not realizing that a mongol is a word used to describe people with a mental/genetic disorder called Downs Syndrome). Anyhow he became a laughing stock for a while and pics of this guy "trying to look tough" were circulated around. I'll see if I can find a pic and post it up.

Trasvimna - no probs with friends riding around on bikes. Its the criminal, bullying gang scum that is the problem (and I hope you don't have any of them as "friends"). Also, regarding your comments about the hotel industry, when you want to be investing is exactly at the time of least demand - the bottom of a cycle before a big pickup. The only way for the Coast is up right now, with foreign investment, Commonwealth Games, migration to Queensland, flowon effect from Syd and Melbourne property prices. I've been a very successful investor by always following a very obvious and basic principle - buy low and sell high. And now is definitely the time to buy. The Gold Coast is the most volatile property market in Australia, which is great for people who can get their timing right, but bad for suckers who buy in during a peak. I'm predicting prices to more than double over the next 5 years on the Gold Coast, so anyone wanting to move there should seriously buy now before they get priced out by rich Asians and interstate investors.