Author Topic: Lone survivor- best war movie in a long time  (Read 1905 times)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Lone survivor- best war movie in a long time
« on: January 21, 2014, 08:14:07 AM »
If any getbiggers havent seen this yet I'd recommend it. Very solid movie, very brutal. Will make you feel like a total pussy.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: Lone survivor- best war movie in a long time
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 08:56:10 AM »
Definitely good. However, there was no way those guys would have survived all that tumbling over the side of the mountain. They were smacking hard against rocks and each guy took like 3-4 bullets a piece and surviving.

And 'fuck the rules of engagement'....those goat herders would've been toast. Why run the risk of giving away your position to the taliban? Sure, it's cold-blooded but that SEAL team was on a mission that should not have been deviated.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 09:10:37 AM »
i saw the trailer.  MOS is more realistic.  I will not watch. 

Automation

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 09:46:30 AM »
Definitely good. However, there was no way those guys would have survived all that tumbling over the side of the mountain. They were smacking hard against rocks and each guy took like 3-4 bullets a piece and surviving.

And 'fuck the rules of engagement'....those goat herders would've been toast. Why run the risk of giving away your position to the taliban? Sure, it's cold-blooded but that SEAL team was on a mission that should not have been deviated.

At the very least they should have tied them up to give themselves a head start. There is no way I would have let them go free. Not a bad movie though.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 09:47:13 AM »
At the very least they should have tied them up to give themselves a head start. There is no way I would have let them go free. Not a bad movie though.

meh.  More propaganda.  But it's entertainment right?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 10:03:02 AM »

you do realize this was a true story recanted by the survivor, right?  And you can survive a tumble down rocks like that. Especially when loaded with gear that can absorb impacts.

this movie isnt a work. I havent seen it, but ive read the book.... and if they followed the book then it all that shot DID happen. Youd be surprised what the human body can endure while pumped with adrenaline.

So anyway, in short, youre wrong on that stuff being fake.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 10:24:01 AM »
you do realize this was a true story recanted by the survivor, right?  And you can survive a tumble down rocks like that. Especially when loaded with gear that can absorb impacts.

this movie isnt a work. I havent seen it, but ive read the book.... and if they followed the book then it all that shot DID happen. Youd be surprised what the human body can endure while pumped with adrenaline.

The ending isn't the same as the book...that's where the big compromise was

Bench

Power

• Getbig III
  • Move along
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 10:29:27 AM »
you do realize this was a true story recanted by the survivor, right?  And you can survive a tumble down rocks like that. Especially when loaded with gear that can absorb impacts.

Shock, I don't think you mean "recanted". 

They did change a number of things vs. the official  story vs. the book.  But it is a good movie none the less.

Trapper_Slapper

• Getbig IV
  • Clean and Jerks pull the bitches!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 10:39:13 AM »

That kid was doing some insane parkour shit down the side of the mountain to snitch on the team. ;D

I haven't read the book Lone Survivor, but I did read another book from an Airforce Pararescueman's perspective. The story line of the movie captured many facts, but omitted a few key parts from the book I read.

jodsy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 10:40:08 AM »
unrealistic

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 10:48:57 AM »
19 guys died during that operation and some kid typing from a room in his mommies house is saying it's all bull shit and some are even saying they would have had better tactics. I guess I wouldn't expect anything more from guys who will never know anything in their life about Honor. Yes, all four of the  originally dropped Seals were shot. Three of them dead after them killing scores and some say up to a hundred Taliban. What you see is a movie to entertain people eating popcorn for profit. No it's not a film of the actual event. It does pay a good tribute to the fallen.

Read the book.

Trapper_Slapper

• Getbig IV
  • Clean and Jerks pull the bitches!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 10:57:51 AM »
19 guys died during that operation and some kid typing from a room in his mommies house is saying it's all bull shit and some are even saying they would have had better tactics. I guess I wouldn't expect anything more from guys who will never know anything in their life about Honor. Yes, all four of the  originally dropped Seals were shot. Three of them dead after them killing scores and some say up to a hundred Taliban. What you see is a movie to entertain people eating popcorn for profit. No it's not a film of the actual event. It does pay a good tribute to the fallen.

All truth right here. Unfortunately the US abides to the Law of Armed Conflict, and it places us in a major disadvantage. I've got friends who've had multiple run-ins with company commanders who wanted to COMPLETELY LEVEL villages with CAS after a few of his soldiers got hit with potshots from cowards hiding in homes with women & children...but the US is mandated to follow LOAC. No matter what the situation may be...

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 10:59:30 AM »
19 guys died during that operation and some kid typing from a room in his mommies house is saying it's all bull shit and some are even saying they would have had better tactics. I guess I wouldn't expect anything more from guys who will never know anything in their life about Honor. Yes, all four of the  originally dropped Seals were shot. Three of them dead after them killing scores and some say up to a hundred Taliban. What you see is a movie to entertain people eating popcorn for profit. No it's not a film of the actual event. It does pay a good tribute to the fallen.

Read the book.

If they weren't their giving the USA "freedom" then none would have died.  What a stupid fucking war.  Why is the USA in afgan? protecting the poppy fields so the pharmas can make more morphine, codeine, vicodin etc...

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 11:19:32 AM »
Don't buy Chunky Monkey Marky Mark as Luttrell at all, that's some horrible miscasting. In real life Luttrell is something like 6'4" and was built like a linebacker.

But still it's good to see something SEAL related that's closer to the truth than the bullshit Tom Hanks pro-bama retelling of the Maersk Alabama story.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 11:20:21 AM »
Don't buy Chunky Monkey Marky Mark as Luttrell at all, that's some horrible miscasting. In real life Luttrell is something like 6'4" and was built like a linebacker.

But still it's good to see something SEAL related that's closer to the truth than the bullshit Tom Hanks pro-bama retelling of the Maersk Alabama story.

its not miscasting since he produced the movie and put himself in the role

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 11:47:49 AM »
Saw it last night. It's a good movie. Women were crying throughout and everyone applauded at the end. I also read the book.

However, we will never know exactly what went down on the mountain. We do know that 4 men were inserted and only one lived to tell about it - Luttrell - who has now become a millionaire as a result of the book and movie. We also know that there have been numerous inconsistencies in the version that Luttrell has provided, mostly having to do with the size of the opposing force. Moreover, Luttrell's injuries were no where near life-threatening, as opposed to what is depicted in the movie. In fact, Luttrell's worst "injury" was a bacterial issue he picked up from drinking polluted water during the time he was out of contact with allied forces.

Perhaps Luttrell is telling the whole truth. On the other hand, he may have ran and hid, which explains his survival. Only he will ever know the truth.

exactly and in those situations even the truth he believes may be lies if he convinced himself otherwise

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 11:53:27 AM »
Saw it last night. It's a good movie. Women were crying throughout and everyone applauded at the end. I also read the book.

However, we will never know exactly what went down on the mountain. We do know that 4 men were inserted and only one lived to tell about it - Luttrell - who has now become a millionaire as a result of the book and movie. We also know that there have been numerous inconsistencies in the version that Luttrell has provided, mostly having to do with the size of the opposing force. Moreover, Luttrell's injuries were no where near life-threatening, as opposed to what is depicted in the movie. In fact, Luttrell's worst "injury" was a bacterial issue he picked up from drinking polluted water during the time he was out of contact with allied forces.

Perhaps Luttrell is telling the whole truth. On the other hand, he may have ran and hid, which explains his survival. Only he will ever know the truth.
doubtful that he turned tail and ran. 99.9999% of SOF guys arent like that. And if you ever paid attention, hes thought pretty highly of in his community

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 12:35:09 PM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I say use nukes not troops

military goons et way too into boring subject

I also happen to liek war movies showing usa or good guys etc winning big

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 12:55:16 PM »

Not only did they do that...the stunt guys pretty much did the same thing. My boss was an advisor on the film. The DOD spent 5 years helping them put that together.
L

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 01:11:19 PM »

You have to see the fall down the rocks it's WAY , WAY over the top! I said the same thing when they fell ' that fall would have killed them ' it's not just a tumble it's INSANE lol

The story is embellished a tad it's Hollywood but most of the story is fact. They fluffed up the number of Taliban. And the village in the movie was attacked when in reality it wasn't.

Someone compared this to Saving Private Ryan , after watching it I said how the fuck did they come to that conclusion. Good movie worth a watch , but not even close to Private Ryan or Black Hawk Down. 

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 01:16:47 PM »

Luttrell's injuries were no where near life-threatening, as opposed to what is depicted in the movie. In fact, Luttrell's worst "injury" was a bacterial issue he picked up from drinking polluted water during the time he was out of contact with allied forces.

Don't know where you got that from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Luttrell

Luttrell, being the only survivor, was left unconscious with a number of fractures, a broken back, numerous shrapnel wounds, and later a gunshot.

Dude couldn't walk and crawled for 7 miles.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »
Just got the movie emailed to me, gonna watch tonight.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 03:33:46 PM »
I'm waiting for stuntmovie to post here with a 20 page post of how he consulted for this movie and his long list of names he'll drop

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »
Just another Hollywood/government propaganda movie.

The real question is... why the fuck are we over there?  We should not be there.

Their programmed reality is not truth.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 03:39:14 PM »
You have to see the fall down the rocks it's WAY , WAY over the top! I said the same thing when they fell ' that fall would have killed them ' it's not just a tumble it's INSANE lol

The story is embellished a tad it's Hollywood but most of the story is fact. They fluffed up the number of Taliban. And the village in the movie was attacked when in reality it wasn't.

Someone compared this to Saving Private Ryan , after watching it I said how the fuck did they come to that conclusion. Good movie worth a watch , but not even close to Private Ryan or Black Hawk Down. 
I should have figured hollywood would go overboard..... still, what people think would kill  a man often doesnt in reality. ... there is all kinds of crazy shit that people love through... often reality is stranger than fiction.