Author Topic: Real gym rules of etiquette  (Read 5211 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Real gym rules of etiquette
« on: January 22, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »
Guys - one of my friends asked me to write down some real rules of gym etiquette for an article she is writing for some magazine or something. 

Told her the usual stuff just scratches the surface for real gym rules of etiquette and I told her its really no different than the laws of a prison yard - there is an order to things no written down that most people should observe - so where else could I come than the brain trust here. 

For example

1.  You want to do Leg Press but you see some huge guy doing serious sets - don't go ask the guy how many sets he has left unless you are bigger than him or know the guy.  Just go do other shit until he is done and then go back to it. 

2.  Don't scream and throw weights around unless you are in the top 5% of the real guys there and moving respectable weight.  Asking for mockery.   

3.  Give dudes their space.  You see a guy doing strict concentration curls at the dumbbell rack - don't jam next to him to grab a set of dumbbells - wait till his set it over then go grab the dumbbells. 

4.  Don't do curls in the squat rack unless you are doing at least 135 lbs barbell curls.

5.  If you are at the water fountain filling a water bottle and people behind you don't have a bottle to fill - step aside and let the other people grab a quick swig and then fill your bottle up. 

6.  Don't ask a guy for a spot on bench and make him do any upright row and then ask him if you had it.  That is pure bs. 

7.  If you are doing deadlifts  -  anything under 315lbs  -  don't let the weight drop and slam on the floor 

8.  You see a huge dude doing light weights - don't stare or question - guy didn't get big by going light. 

9.  Don't do 10 sets on the same station  -  if there are only a few stations in the gym - don't hog that shit.  Just rude. 

10.  Don't flex in the mirror if you got nothing to show.  If there are bigger guys in the gym who do shows, are serious lifters,  just don't do it. 

11.  Don't go up to big guy in the gym and say shit like - "5 years ago before my car wreck - I looked like you"

There are ton others - but some input helps .  Thanks guys.   

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: Real gym rules of etiquette
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 07:35:11 PM »
12. WEAR DEODORANT

13. Don't stare down all the lifters bigger/stronger than you in your hoodie while doing shadow boxing reps in the mirror when it's clear you have ZERO combat sport experience.

14. Don't grunt, groan, scream, and throw weights around and then stop and look around to see whos looking. Ever. No matter how big you are. Because you are a douche.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 07:38:15 PM »
12. WEAR DEODORANT

13. Don't stare down all the lifters bigger/stronger than you in your hoodie while doing shadow boxing reps in the mirror when it's clear you have ZERO combat sport experience.

14. Don't grunt, groan, scream, and throw weights around and then stop and look around to see whos looking. Ever. No matter how big you are. Because you are a douche.

;D

Or practice your tennis stroke or golf swing. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 07:45:03 PM »
Here is another one that kills me  -

Don't ask two guys to spot you on the bench unless its at least 365lbs and they don't have to touch the bar.   If you need two spotters - you can't do the FNG weight.  Don't let do dudes assist you and then bs yourself saying yeah bro I did 365. 

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 08:09:38 PM »
Guys - one of my friends asked me to write down some real rules of gym etiquette for an article she is writing for some magazine or something. 

Told her the usual stuff just scratches the surface for real gym rules of etiquette and I told her its really no different than the laws of a prison yard - there is an order to things no written down that most people should observe - so where else could I come than the brain trust here. 

For example

1.  You want to do Leg Press but you see some huge guy doing serious sets - don't go ask the guy how many sets he has left unless you are bigger than him or know the guy.  Just go do other shit until he is done and then go back to it. 

2.  Don't scream and throw weights around unless you are in the top 5% of the real guys there and moving respectable weight.  Asking for mockery.   

3.  Give dudes their space.  You see a guy doing strict concentration curls at the dumbbell rack - don't jam next to him to grab a set of dumbbells - wait till his set it over then go grab the dumbbells. 

4.  Don't do curls in the squat rack unless you are doing at least 135 lbs barbell curls.

5.  If you are at the water fountain filling a water bottle and people behind you don't have a bottle to fill - step aside and let the other people grab a quick swig and then fill your bottle up. 

6.  Don't ask a guy for a spot on bench and make him do any upright row and then ask him if you had it.  That is pure bs. 

7.  If you are doing deadlifts  -  anything under 315lbs  -  don't let the weight drop and slam on the floor 

8.  You see a huge dude doing light weights - don't stare or question - guy didn't get big by going light. 

9.  Don't do 10 sets on the same station  -  if there are only a few stations in the gym - don't hog that shit.  Just rude. 

10.  Don't flex in the mirror if you got nothing to show.  If there are bigger guys in the gym who do shows, are serious lifters,  just don't do it. 

11.  Don't go up to big guy in the gym and say shit like - "5 years ago before my car wreck - I looked like you"

There are ton others - but some input helps .  Thanks guys.   
ha,ill be a cnut here:

1: why not?has he a lease on the m,achine?is it his personal item?

2: see first amendment in usa constitution

3: look at him and make "pffft" arrogance sound and then pick some monster dumbeells

4: curls in squat rack ar retarded no matter how much weight

5 hell no, time is money

6 some say pure negatives training build epic strenght

7 i dont see the logic here, the more weight youre dropping to the floor,the more noise and damage will it do

8 best to yell "all drugs" for some controversy

9 agredd, better to do circuit workout and occupy 5machines at same time ;D

10 i always do this no care if theres bigger guys

11 haha ,this one is something wolfox the resident monngoild inbred would do
n

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:07:16 PM »
1 re-rack your motherfucking weights. your momma don't work at the fucking gym and the front desk isn't your goddamn maid. if you can pull the 150's off the rack to do 2" db presses, your bitch ass can put them away too

2 unload the fucking leg-press. see #1

3 if you drag shit from one end of the gym to another (i.e. kettlebells, medicine balls, foam-rollers, yoga mats, dumbbells ect...) again, see #1

4 don't scream at the top of your lungs during your set and then jump up and pace around like a pro-wrestler. I don't care if you're 250lbs and coked out of your mind, you're a fucking clown.

5 don't drop the fucking weights. you ain't Ronnie coleman, and this ain't metroflex. you pay $20 dollars a month and a years worth of your membership dues won't pay to replace or fix the dumbells you break and don't cry when we kick your ass out. you want your money back? sue us. see you in court. btw, we're calling other gyms to warm them of your tendency to break shit. professional courtesy.

6 don't moan on the fuckign treadmill

7 shower

8 trainers give advice in exchange for money. that's how they pay their bills. don't go up to them asking questions and expect detailed, in depth answers if you're not paying for it. for example, if you knew a doctor in the gym, would you constantly ask his medical advice/diagnosis?? no... it'd be fucking rude, and he'd tell you to 'go to the hospital'.... dont' get pissy and all offended/entitled when we dont' take an hour out of our booked up schedule to answer your nonsense questions you could've googled.

9 if you see a guy with headphones on, looking at the floor between sets, don't bother him for a fucking spot if you don't know him... especially if it's a 135 incline press.

10 don't bother a guy with headphones on PERIOD, if all you want to do is talk and bullshit and tell some cute little joke... we're doing a job, we're focused.. this isn't a high school lockerroom where were just bullshiting and puffing our chests up. and playing "mr. Me Too"

11 don't talk to a guy in the middle of a set... and don't act like a little bitch when we slam the weight down and say "what do you want?"

12 when gym staff is working out, don't bother them to look up something with your account or ring up a protein drink. don't get all pissy because you want to use the machine we're on because "they work in the gym and can use it anytime they want". we dont' get paid to workout, and we're not on the clock. you work at Burger King, you want me to knock on your door at home on your time off and ask you to make me some Onion Rings? no? then shut the fuck up.

13 pick up your fucking trash, especially in the restroom.

14 WASH YOUR FUCKING HANDS. I saw you come out of the stall after taking a shit and NOT wash your hands... fucking disgusting motherfuckers.... touching the weights with microscopic shit particles on your hands.

15 when taking a shit, do a COURTESY FLUSH as soon as that shit hits the water. I can't believe how many of you people think it's ok to sit there and envelope the entire restroom with the stench of your pile of shit.

Maddy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Watchdog
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
1 re-rack your motherfucking weights. your momma don't work at the fucking gym and the front desk isn't your goddamn maid. if you can pull the 150's off the rack to do 2" db presses, your bitch ass can put them away too

3 if you drag shit from one end of the gym to another (i.e. kettlebells, medicine balls, foam-rollers, yoga mats, dumbbells ect...) again, see #1

4 don't scream at the top of your lungs during your set and then jump up and pace around like a pro-wrestler. I don't care if you're 250lbs and coked out of your mind, you're a fucking clown.

5 don't drop the fucking weights. you ain't Ronnie coleman, and this ain't metroflex. you pay $20 dollars a month and a years worth of your membership dues won't pay to replace or fix the dumbells you break and don't cry when we kick your ass out. you want your money back? sue us. see you in court. btw, we're calling other gyms to warm them of your tendency to break shit. professional courtesy.

7 shower

8 trainers give advice in exchange for money. that's how they pay their bills. don't go up to them asking questions and expect detailed, in depth answers if you're not paying for it. for example, if you knew a doctor in the gym, would you constantly ask his medical advice/diagnosis?? no... it'd be fucking rude, and he'd tell you to 'go to the hospital'.... dont' get pissy and all offended/entitled when we dont' take an hour out of our booked up schedule to answer your nonsense questions you could've googled.

9 if you see a guy with headphones on, looking at the floor between sets, don't bother him for a fucking spot if you don't know him... especially if it's a 135 incline press.

10 don't bother a guy with headphones on PERIOD, if all you want to do is talk and bullshit and tell some cute little joke... we're doing a job, we're focused.. this isn't a high school lockerroom where were just bullshiting and puffing our chests up. and playing "mr. Me Too"

11 don't talk to a guy in the middle of a set... and don't act like a little bitch when we slam the weight down and say "what do you want?"

12 when gym staff is working out, don't bother them to look up something with your account or ring up a protein drink. don't get all pissy because you want to use the machine we're on because "they work in the gym and can use it anytime they want". we dont' get paid to workout, and we're not on the clock. you work at Burger King, you want me to knock on your door at home on your time off and ask you to make me some Onion Rings? no? then shut the fuck up.

14 WASH YOUR FUCKING HANDS. I saw you come out of the stall after taking a shit and NOT wash your hands... fucking disgusting motherfuckers.... touching the weights with microscopic shit particles on your hands.

15 when taking a shit, do a COURTESY FLUSH as soon as that shit hits the water. I can't believe how many of you people think it's ok to sit there and envelope the entire restroom with the stench of your pile of shit.

ESFitness
funny true
list

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 09:14:39 PM »
Once I was sitting on the end of a bench doing concentration curls and some guy came and sat on the other end.  :-\

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 09:23:46 PM »
oh...

and dont' complain to gym staff about another members "grunting/screaming" when he's training.. you don't like it? be a grown man, and go tell him yourself. pussy.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 09:26:12 PM »
Top-3 in my gym

1. Don't stand right in front of the DB rack, the rack isn't yours.
2. No phone calls, do them elsewhere.
3. Don't mess the place with plastic coffee cups, use a fucking shaker.

macos

• Getbig IV
  • Jamie Dimon get some $$ please.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 09:36:07 PM »
oh...

and dont' complain to gym staff about another members "grunting/screaming" when he's training.. you don't like it? be a grown man, and go tell him yourself. pussy.
this
$

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 09:41:03 PM »

These
A

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 09:57:35 PM »

7 shower

16 if your not taking a shit,get out of the stall. There are plenty other places in and out of the gym where you can play with your phone.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 10:50:44 PM »
I stick to one cardinal rule.

Train at 5am as all the dickheads and dumbasses are still in bed. Bar a few fit office bitches and gays on the treadmills, the gym is completely empty. It's heaven. Back home for 6am. Done my shit for the day.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 11:06:30 PM »
"7.  If you are doing deadlifts  -  anything under 315lbs  -  don't let the weight drop and slam on the floor. "

Incorrect. Don't drop/slam the weight ever.  Last Saturday 575 3 x 3.  Never slammed the bar a single rep.
a

38-26-40

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 11:14:03 PM »
These are all great...I wish I can post this list at work.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 11:37:31 PM »
Once I was sitting on the end of a bench doing concentration curls and some guy came and sat on the other end.  :-\

LMFAO.   Like, seriously, WTF can a man be thinking.   "Oh, he's not using that end, I'm gonna try that exercise too!"

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 11:57:05 PM »
there is a dude that trains at my gym at noon every day.  he stinks so bad, like onions and bodyodor (to me they smell the same) I can smell him for an hour after he leaves.   

5 times in twenty plus years I have had to talk to a member about BO, and it is always awkward.  this guy is gonna be the sixth.

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 12:54:17 AM »
DON'T SLAM WEIGHTS!

Uncle Junior

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 01:33:18 AM »
I can't remember exactly when this was, maybe like about 6 months ago......So  I am doing arms and I am supersetting  Triceps with Biceps, no rest style.

So I got the Ez Curl bar set up, I do 1 set, usual stuff 10-12 reps and after I finish I head over quickly to do Triceps Push-downs  cable machine and do a set there.

Now I come back to the Ez Bar and start my second set, now like on the 3rd or 4th rep suddenly a 20 kilo plate from my Ez bar goes flying across the room and nearly knocks some guys head off who was doing bench press.

I am like WTF and realize while I went over to do the Tricep Pushdowns some ASSHOLE had taken the clips off from my Ez bar.

Moral of the story: NEVER fuck with another mans clips.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 02:16:17 AM »
"7.  If you are doing deadlifts  -  anything under 315lbs  -  don't let the weight drop and slam on the floor. "

Incorrect. Don't drop/slam the weight ever.  Last Saturday 575 3 x 3.  Never slammed the bar a single rep.

same here. 500-something for 5 and 630 for 3 a few weeks ago and didn't make a sound... whereas some dumbass 10mins before was screaming and bouncing the bar off the floor with 365. lol

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 02:23:09 AM »
I always think unless you are Jay Cutlers size, you shouldn't be making grunting sounds in the gym or be throwing/dropping weights.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 02:31:06 AM »
I always think unless you are Jay Cutlers size, you shouldn't be making grunting sounds in the gym or be throwing/dropping weights.

Meh. I don't drop heavy dumbells and I'm not one of those dudes who grunts on every rep but I grunt when needs be. 
A

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 06:31:52 AM »
Pretty all inclusive lists so far. I just rejoined Golds after several years at Lifetime and I can't stand Golds. Always packed, people on their phones, machines and weights not available.. My pet peeve lately is the "How many sets you have left?" question.. I go to the gym to try and stay in shape and it is good stress relief. If you see I am using a machine, I promise you there are 10 other variations of the same excercise you can find if you can't wait 10 minutes till I am done. You hanging out staring while I do my sets isn't very relaxing for me.  And no, I don't want you to work in with me if it involves removing plates.     

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 06:34:27 AM »
DON'T SLAM WEIGHTS!

Please post the exact location of your gym :D