Author Topic: Got my new Flex Magazine and 64.5% of it is ads!  (Read 3376 times)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Got my new Flex Magazine and 64.5% of it is ads!
« on: January 23, 2014, 04:43:05 PM »
I took the liberty of counting the number of ads before I decided to look through. It's the new one was Flex Lewis on the cover. I counted 156 pages ads and 102 non ad pages for a total of 258 pages. Putting 64.5% of the catalog "magazine" ads. Note, there were several pages that were half ads and article. I'm glad I got this for free. During the expo. Because I certainly remember why I stopped buying or subscribing. This certainly isn't normal in the magazine industry. Perhaps it is in the fitness magazine industry, I don't know I haven't looked at them since I recently received this subscription. I do know it's unacceptable. I do know that it wasn't always this way. I do know it's pathetic which is why I'm making this thread. Papa Joe Weider would not approve. This magazine is Garbage (which a captial "G".). By the way to took 16 pages of ads to get from the cover to the table of contents. lol  

They've gotten sneaky by putting an article about an athlete, interrupted with an ad of that same athlete only with his sponsor. They try to blend the article and the ads to force you to look as if its part of the article hoping you'll be dumb enough to pay attention and fall for whatever trick they're playing to get you to buy what equates to shit in most cases. What Flex Magazine is, is a supplement catalog with articles ghostwritten and lies told and the truth hidden for good reason. Bottom line is people in charge at Flex, the magazine needs a makeover and major changes because this business model is past its time. I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this.

P.S. There are good supplements

P.P.S Ron I've spoken nothing but the truth please leave this up.

P.P.S. Money's got to be made, but it can be done in a morally better manner. Because in the end, that's what this is all about. I'll bet someones pecker this thread doesn't last if it gets wild.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
Re: Got my new Flex Magazine and 64.5% of it is ads!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 04:46:38 PM »
This isn't groundbreaking news Wiggs.

It's been that way for a few years now.

The magazine industry is struggling due to the popularity of the internet. With fewer and fewer subscribers magazines have no choice but to get as many advertisers as possible.

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 04:46:54 PM »
Photoshop pics of peace to sell supplements

BodyMachine

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:46:58 PM »
You didn't realize it's horseshit prior to that? Look at the articles, "Gain an inch on your arms in 21 days." So grateful my membership expired and that I only paid $8 for 2yrs.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »
The last time I had a subscription was 16 years ago. If I'm at a bookstore and pass by one I'd occasionally flip through but this is my second month actually taking time to look through one since then. While the internet statement is true, that doesn't mean a new business model of the content of the magazine wouldn't work. In fact, that's exactly what it needs. I'm not saying to include gear but outright ignoring it is laughable. This isn't about gear though. This is about everything I said true in the original post. Perhaps people need a light under their asses to come up with something profitable. It can be done.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 05:40:29 PM »
MuscleMag used to be a great mag then they were all CellTech ads or "articles" that somehow turned into a CellTech ad.

I`ll never waste any money on any mags ever again....all BS.

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 05:42:27 PM »
Realness

Abacab

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 06:36:51 PM »
It's been that way for a few years now.

It's been that way for well over a decade now. And most of the training articles are older than that, just rehashed and reworded.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 07:35:44 PM »
wouldn't it be great if they really did develop breakthrough training methods each month?  Like, this month they discovered new ways to stimulate biceps growth that they didn't know in 2013?

AVBG

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 07:40:28 PM »
Brutal waste of time, don't you think Wiggs?  :D

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 08:31:21 PM »
I have magazines dating back to the 1940s. In the old days there were ads for protein, cheap equipment and maybe bodybuilding courses. No one made money from subscriptions so the ads were what kept them alive. Some of the supplement companies have become very rich and powerful and the magazines depend on these giants. It is the same old story. Dupe the young blokes out of their money for mostly unnecessary or even useless products. The pros usually sign any documents to support a product. This is almost as bad as gay4pay.

No matter how often I tell the flotsam they are wasting their money on supplements they don't listen. They believe they need them so buy them. They believe free weights is better so they clang away in dungeons and weight rooms. Ah, the hapless wannabes who get duped then have to resort to underground steroids hoping the drugs will give them what training and supplements failed to do.

Shawn Perine and others become editors of the muscle mags but even they can't change what is happening. So the bullshit continues and the magazines become mere vehicles for the supplements. It is, I am afraid, all a sham.

alabama ftw

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 11:55:17 PM »
Why does grown men buy magazines with naked men in it? Only one kind of "man" does that.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 12:15:06 AM »
I only follow Hawaii's 'ON FITNESS' & Frank Zane is contributor.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 01:20:13 AM »
Last time i looked at one was around 2009 having stopped buying them around 2001.
It was the biggest heap of shit ive ever read.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 03:45:18 AM »
If you HAVE to buy a bbing magazine go with MD.

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 04:28:14 AM »
Putting 64.5% of the catalog "magazine" ads.
Looks like math is not your strong point. Based on your numbers it's 60.4%, not 64.5%.

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 04:49:42 AM »
I took the liberty of counting the number of ads before I decided to look through. It's the new one was Flex Lewis on the cover. I counted 156 pages ads and 102 non ad pages for a total of 258 pages. Putting 64.5% of the catalog "magazine" ads. Note, there were several pages that were half ads and article. I'm glad I got this for free. During the expo. Because I certainly remember why I stopped buying or subscribing. This certainly isn't normal in the magazine industry. Perhaps it is in the fitness magazine industry, I don't know I haven't looked at them since I recently received this subscription. I do know it's unacceptable. I do know that it wasn't always this way. I do know it's pathetic which is why I'm making this thread. Papa Joe Weider would not approve. This magazine is Garbage (which a captial "G".). By the way to took 16 pages of ads to get from the cover to the table of contents. lol  

They've gotten sneaky by putting an article about an athlete, interrupted with an ad of that same athlete only with his sponsor. They try to blend the article and the ads to force you to look as if its part of the article hoping you'll be dumb enough to pay attention and fall for whatever trick they're playing to get you to buy what equates to shit in most cases. What Flex Magazine is, is a supplement catalog with articles ghostwritten and lies told and the truth hidden for good reason. Bottom line is people in charge at Flex, the magazine needs a makeover and major changes because this business model is past its time. I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this.

P.P.S. Money's got to be made, but it can be done in a morally better manner. Because in the end, that's what this is all about. I'll bet someones pecker this thread doesn't last if it gets wild.

156/258*100 = 60.4%

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 05:05:32 AM »
I have magazines dating back to the 1940s. In the old days there were ads for protein, cheap equipment and maybe bodybuilding courses. No one made money from subscriptions so the ads were what kept them alive. Some of the supplement companies have become very rich and powerful and the magazines depend on these giants. It is the same old story. Dupe the young blokes out of their money for mostly unnecessary or even useless products. The pros usually sign any documents to support a product. This is almost as bad as gay4pay.

No matter how often I tell the flotsam they are wasting their money on supplements they don't listen. They believe they need them so buy them. They believe free weights is better so they clang away in dungeons and weight rooms. Ah, the hapless wannabes who get duped then have to resort to underground steroids hoping the drugs will give them what training and supplements failed to do.

Shawn Perine and others become editors of the muscle mags but even they can't change what is happening. So the bullshit continues and the magazines become mere vehicles for the supplements. It is, I am afraid, all a sham.

I have seen some old Weider ones in 60's and 70's comics and he just says whatever he likes in them, it's so bullshit it's unreal. Like before and after pictures a year apart, he's saying they're 2 weeks. Could get away with anything in the old days.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 05:07:30 AM »
Realness

this is Epic....the first time I saw this pic on Flex magazine back in the days, all I could think was POWER

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 05:07:55 AM »
Muscular Development is pages and pages of ads too. I think you have to wade through about 25 pages until you get to the first article.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • bhank is coming….
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 05:26:59 AM »
64.5% supplement ads

24.5% recycled articles

8% male thong pageant pics

3% bikini sluts

---

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 05:28:55 AM »

Let us know if the percentage differs next month when you buy it again

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 05:32:41 AM »
the beef was the last one i used to buy regularly when i was still competitive minded,, had some good articles in now n then, from what i gather the beef isnt allowed to attend anymore ukfbb shows as only british flex are permitted to report from now on

---

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 05:37:57 AM »
the beef was the last one i used to buy regularly when i was still competitive minded,, had some good articles in now n then, from what i gather the beef isnt allowed to attend anymore ukfbb shows as only british flex are permitted to report from now on
Last beef magazine I saw had merged with Total Fitness magazine, they see the future.
http://alexmac.biz/

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 07:45:48 AM »
Muscular Development is pages and pages of ads too. I think you have to wade through about 25 pages until you get to the first article.

And the articles are the same, month after month, year after year....including fake photography (spraying builders to make it look like they're sweating etc, photoshopping skin problems caused by ped use, etc etc)

Wouldn't want such a mag even if they were handing them out for free.