Author Topic: Rare Nintendo game cartridge sells for 100k  (Read 4799 times)

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Rare Nintendo game cartridge sells for 100k
« on: January 27, 2014, 08:16:10 AM »
Well 80 bux short I think. I was watching this auction on eBay a couple days ago. Crazy shit.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/rare-nintendo-cartridge-fetches-99902-ebay/

Army of One

• Getbig V
Re: Rare Nintendo game cartridge sells for 100k
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:19:09 AM »
Well 80 bux short I think. I was watching this auction on eBay a couple days ago. Crazy shit.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/rare-nintendo-cartridge-fetches-99902-ebay/

He bidded 80 bucks less so he could buy that rare Nasser thong too

dustin

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:14:23 AM »
The dude should just buy some hookers, lose his virginity, then keep the rest of the money when he realizes how stupid he is.

I love classic games and everything, but there's a lot better shit you can buy with that kind of scratch!

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:26:32 AM »
The dude should just buy some hookers, lose his virginity, then keep the rest of the money when he realizes how stupid he is.

I love classic games and everything, but there's a lot better shit you can buy with that kind of scratch!

I would not call them stupid.  Vintage Computers and Software are becoming very good collectibles and people with disposable income will spend big bucks for and will increase in value...best of all the majority of people selling these items at yard sales and flea markets have no clue what they have and will sell it dirt cheap.  Its a quick way to make money on Ebay....you have to know what you're looking for.

A

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:31:47 AM »

I would not call them stupid.  Vintage Computers and Software are becoming very good collectibles and people with disposable income will spend big bucks for and will increase in value...best of all the majority of people selling these items at yard sales and flea markets have no clue what they have and will sell it dirt cheap.  Its a quick way to make money

nothing is the kiss of death on an investment quite like an endorsement from vince
T

dustin

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:35:27 AM »

I would not call them stupid.  Vintage Computers and Software are becoming very good collectibles and people with disposable income will spend big bucks for and will increase in value...best of all the majority of people selling these items at yard sales and flea markets have no clue what they have and will sell it dirt cheap.  Its a quick way to make money on Ebay....you have to know what you're looking for.

Nothing beats a good impulse purchase like hookers 'n blow.

You can't go wrong!*

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 09:43:06 AM »
nothing is the kiss of death on an investment quite like an endorsement from vince

Its not a matter of investment...its a great opportunity to cash in on something that few people even know about.  While people are searching for gold, silver, and antiques...you can go out and buy an Atari VCS (2600) for 5 bucks, clean off the dust and sell it for 80-150 dollars on Ebay depending on the condition...worth way more if its still got the packaging.  

One man's junk is sometimes another man's treasure.  Try it sometime...just go out to a yard sale or such and look around.  You never know what you might find.  

A

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:56 AM »
;D

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 09:48:48 AM »

I would not call them stupid.  Vintage Computers and Software are becoming very good collectibles and people with disposable income will spend big bucks for and will increase in value...best of all the majority of people selling these items at yard sales and flea markets have no clue what they have and will sell it dirt cheap.  Its a quick way to make money on Ebay....you have to know what you're looking for.

Collectables:

You should only buy collectables for your enjoyment of the object.  You should never expect to gain monetarily from your collection.  The markets for collectables can be quite mercurial.

Bonus question:  What is the difference between an antique and a collectable?

Answer: Antiques were made by hand by artisans, collectables were made in a factory.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 09:51:15 AM »
Nothing beats a good impulse purchase like hookers 'n blow.

You can't go wrong!*

Well....these types of buys are more or less "buying back their childhood".  People who are in their 50's grew up playing video games on an Atari VCS and now that they are older, they want to bring back those old memories or see their kids playing video games and want to show their children what they used to play on.  So spending 200 dollars for a piece of their childhood back is not as bad as it sounds.  
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 09:52:33 AM »
Collectables:

You should only buy collectables for your enjoyment of the object.  You should never expect to gain monetarily from your collection.  The markets for collectables can be quite mercurial.

Bonus question:  What is the difference between an antique and a collectable?

Answer: Antiques were made by hand by artisans, collectables were made in a factory.

Exactly...and that's the majority of people are doing when it comes to buying vintage computer games and software with the exception of this guy.  He obviously thinks that its going to be worth more in the future
A

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »
The "buyer" pulled out when asked to make the purchase and said it was a mistake. Obvious from the start the seller was having the piss taken out of him.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/rare-nintendo-world-championships-game-3067458#.UuaeTNJFBkg

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »

Its not a matter of investment...its a great opportunity to cash in on something that few people even know about.  While people are searching for gold, silver, and antiques...you can go out and buy an Atari VCS (2600) for 5 bucks, clean off the dust and sell it for 80-150 dollars on Ebay depending on the condition...worth way more if its still got the packaging.  

One man's junk is sometimes another man's treasure.  Try it sometime...just go out to a yard sale or such and look around.  You never know what you might find.  

Yes we should take financial advice from u

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
children these days...

they look at Pac-man or Asteroid or Space Invaders.... and they're bored beyond belief.

They have thousands of apps available on a tablet, a fraction of an inch... in full color, with more levels, internet connected to play with friends, and graphics in a whole 'nother dimension...

I cannot dream of what the video games & graphics & overall experience will be like in 25 years.  

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 10:24:22 AM »

Do you have a website set up for this? If not, 10 bucks says you'll have one tomorrow.

dustin

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 10:25:08 AM »

Well....these types of buys are more or less "buying back their childhood".  People who are in their 50's grew up playing video games on an Atari VCS and now that they are older, they want to bring back those old memories or see their kids playing video games and want to show their children what they used to play on.  So spending 200 dollars for a piece of their childhood back is not as bad as it sounds.  

Like I said, I'm a classic gaming fan. But a few dozen dollars and a hundred thousand dollars is a stark contrast.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 10:31:50 AM »
Like I said, I'm a classic gaming fan. But a few dozen dollars and a hundred thousand dollars is a stark contrast.

Yes, but one man's 100k is another man's pennies. If I had millions I'd buy myself a Steinway Grand Piano for around 50k even though I play keyboard rather terribly. It's just nice to have. Because I can have it. What else am I going to do with all that money?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 10:46:14 AM »
If I had that much money to burn I would be giving the bulk of it away.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 11:18:59 AM »
Exactly, Vince.

However, nostalgia has a propensity for exaggeration, confabulation, and paramnesia.

Vince, do you remember the time your little league coach was totally aghast when he walked unexpectedly (well, perhaps, just a little expectedly) into the groundskeeper’s room and saw the unholy threesome you made out of the teams' only southpaw’s first-basemen's mitt and brand spankin’ new 28" scarlet/black Mizuno? Were you really growling, "more fingers, Rollie!" and "atta-boy Pete LaCock!" behind the bags of field chalk and sand?

Do you remember any of this?

MAYBE he was watching pete lacocks father peter marshall making a buffoon of himself trying to trick paul lynde into thinking he was into women..

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 02:03:23 PM »
I would have bought a GTR and downloaded the SNES ROM.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
This is the nintendo game in question, although unlikely to be the exact cartridge (or perhaps, it is?)

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 04:00:40 PM »
Reason it's worth so much

It represents the Dat Dere

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 04:06:21 PM »
This is the nintendo game in question, although unlikely to be the exact cartridge (or perhaps, it is?)

Mockup

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 04:25:09 PM »
If I had that much money to burn I would be giving the bulk of it away.

That's why you don't have money