Author Topic: Murican football vs Soccer  (Read 5460 times)

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
Re: Murican football vs Soccer
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2014, 05:54:32 PM »
there is at least 1 play every 45 seconds and each play is of consequence unlike soccer

don't know man, I might be used to rugby league and Aussie Rules which are both faster and more exciting than NFL.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2014, 06:57:35 PM »
Global sport & much,much smaller regional sport  ;D

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2014, 08:30:28 PM »
Global sport & much,much smaller regional sport  ;D

Regional world champions ;D

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2014, 08:43:38 PM »
10 reasons why football is better than soccer

10. Fewer dirty players
Soccer has a lot of dirty players. Guys who will hack from behind, spit on people, and stomp a guy who’s grounded. Marco Materazzi comes to mind, as does Craig Bellamy. While dirty play is penalized in soccer, it is also accepted, and teams will often try to sign players based on their poor reputation because they need a guy to fill the bruiser role. However, when a player in the NFL does something that is blatantly dirty, not only will he be penalized, but he is usually fined by the league as well as his team. If the play is extremely dirty and it’s caught on film, it may take weeks for that player to live down his actions. The guilty party will often be criticized harshly by the media and made to be a pariah in the court of public opinion. And unlike soccer, most football teams will not look to sign dirty players, even if they are talented.

9. NFL is the only league to follow
In Europe, there are several soccer leagues to follow. In fact, most of the larger countries each have their own leagues. But with the NFL, there is only one league to follow. Sure, there’s arena league football as well as the CFL. Heck, there’s even NFL Europe where backups can go and play in the off season. But no one pays attention to any of the leagues other than the NFL, because even when football is in its off season, there will still be news about teams. In fact, most news outlets don’t even cover those other football leagues. But for real proof, just ask yourself when the last time you went out and saw someone wearing a Sherdrick Bonner jersey.

8. Athletic players come in all shapes and sizes
In soccer, most guys have the same body type. It’s a thin but muscular build with the variety generally being differences of height. Sure, there are exceptions, like England’s Peter Crouch, who is built like a thin version of Yao Ming, or the pudgy (by soccer standards) Ronaldo of Brazil, but in general, most guys have similar builds. In football, guys can be thin and lean, but fast, like Randy Moss. They can be muscular but quick off the line, like Dwight Freeney. Or they can be huge, but agile, like Kelley Gregg. You don’t have to be the biggest guy at your position to make a difference either. Ray Lewis was drafted late in the first round by the Ravens because many teams considered him to be undersized. Maurice Jones-Drew is only 5’7”, but he laid out Shawn Merriman with a monstrous block. The fact of the matter is the NFL is a league where guys consistently play outside what is considered the limit for their body types.

7. Football games mean more
With only sixteen games in the schedule, every football game is important. Losing the first four games of the season would be disastrous for most NFL squads. However, that’s exactly what the D.C. United did in the MLS a few seasons back, yet they still managed to make the playoffs. Because there are more soccer games (generally around 30 games, give or take a few depending on the league) each game doesn’t hold as much weight. The drama of a football season can truly be exciting on a weekly basis because every game could decide if a team makes the playoffs. No lead ever feels safe until a team has numerically clenched a playoff berth.

6. The Nazis were afraid of football
Back when Nazi Germany was trying to topple the rest of Europe in World War II, the Nazis sent some operatives to the United States to learn about our culture. Apparently, the Germans decided to check out a football game so they ventured to Chicago and observed the Bears. Afterwards, they wrote back to their commanding officers that the United States was not a country to go to war with. It was said that the reason behind the hesitation was the football game, because if football is what we did for fun, they didn’t want to have to meet us on the battlefield.

5. Football is more strategic
People will look at football and immediately see the strategy. After all, plays are drawn up just to stop other plays or specific players. In fact, coaches are paid a lot of money just to outthink opponents. But the fact of the matter is that there is a lot more strategy involved than just calling the right plays. Football requires careful management of the clock, something that has won or lost games for teams. And there is also odd scoring system. Six points for a touchdown, but one point for an extra point, or two points if a team runs a successful play for the points after the score. Field goals are three points, and on the rare occasion, a safety adds two points to the scoreboard. Coaches much know when to go for points and when to play it safe. They have to measure their special teams versus the other team’s return guy. It all adds up to a game that has a lot more going on that most people realize, making it all the more impressive when teams win a lot of games in a row.

4. Commercials
Commercials that run during football have become a thing of legend. From some truly creative commercials that air during the Super Bowl, to the press conference commercials that come on today, the commercials shown during football games are sometimes better than the games themselves. After all, how many times have you heard someone say “I’m just watching the Super Bowl for the commercials?” From the incredible commercial that aired last year where Stephen Jackson was running the ball to the theme from Last of the Mohicans, to a funny, catchy commercial that sang “I love football on TV, shots of Geena Lee, hanging with me friends, and twins!” you just can’t go wrong. And while we’re on the subject of twins, football also has cheerleaders, who are great because they practice and perform meticulous routines that require a high degree of skill and concentration. And that’s the only reason guys like and appreciate cheerleaders. Honest.

3. Exciting hits are part of the game
There are hits in soccer, but generally speaking, hitting is not part of the game. Officials look for it and punish players who do it unless it is clear that the player was making a play on the ball. In football, hits come on nearly every play. And not just to the guy with the ball. Offensive linemen can pancake pass rushers, and defensive linemen are allowed to crush blockers. As long as the quarterback has possession of the ball, he is fair game, and there have been some vicious hits that are legal within the limits of the game made to players of that position. ESPN even has a segment entitled “Jacked Up” where they celebrate the week’s biggest and most brutal hits. While it’s never fun to see someone get injured, there is a primal thrill to watching a guy lay the wood to another guy in a good, solid hit. Conversely, when guys take hits in soccer, even soft ones, they cease to become soccer players, and begin the terrible drama of that could only be described as life-ending pain. And minutes later, they are sprinting up and down the field like high octane machines. Or, as Jon K. put it, “soccer players tend to take horrible dives and pretend to be hurt. That's probably my biggest gripe about soccer.”

2. Fans are safer
Soccer fans have been known to be so rowdy that they collapse the very stadium they are sitting in. And those are just the excited, regular fans. Soccer fanatics, known as hooligans, are often violent and dangerous. Just last year, two Brazilian fans brought a hand grenade to a soccer match, planning to toss it under a bus carrying fans from the other team. Thankfully they were caught with the explosive before their plan was allowed to unfold. Football fans are wild as well, but in a different way. They will dress up in their team colors, wear outlandish outfits, and often time bring signs or posters in support of their team. Fans of the NFL do have energy, but they release it in a different way than soccer fans. They use their energy to drink beer, eat hotdogs, and enjoy Sundays afternoons by tailgating.

1. Salary cap helps parity
Most leagues in soccer do not have a salary cap, similar to the MLB in the states. For every Red Sox and Yankees team in baseball, there is a Real Madrid and Manchester United in soccer – teams that can afford to buy the best talent available and have a team that is in contention every single season. However, in the NFL, teams have a salary cap. Generally speaking, most teams cannot hoard talent and it is difficult to keep lots of great players on the same team with contracts that expire and players who want more money. This has created an era where it is possible for most teams to contend, and it becomes difficult to pick the winner at the opening of each season. For fans of the game, it translates to the real possibility that their team is a contender every single year.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »
The Most Valuable NFL Teams

The National Football League continues to be the most lucrative sports league in the world.

The NFL’s 32 teams are worth, on average, $1.17 billion, 5% more than last year. The Cleveland Browns, a lousy team for years in a midsize market, sold for almost $1 billion last year.

In contrast, the world’s top 20 soccer teams have a mean value of $968 million.

Read more: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2013/08/14/the-most-valuable-nfl-teams/

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2014, 08:57:04 PM »
Nobody in soccer runs for 90 straight minutes.   ::)
the referee does :D

both those sports are gay, dozens of men showering together.

n

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2014, 08:58:33 PM »
both those sports are gay, dozens of men showering together.

galeniko nailed it^^^

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2014, 10:15:42 PM »
Regional world champions ;D

Like AFL's Grand Final  :)

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2014, 10:40:35 PM »
I would think football would be Getbig's favorite sport outside of BB. Until you have been around some pro ball players you don't know what truly big means.

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2014, 10:44:35 PM »
Soccer is better to play - but both are snoozefests to watch.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2014, 10:59:27 PM »
Soccer is better to play - but both are snoozefests to watch.

I'm going to have to disagree. They're both boring to watch, but football is much more fun to play. Throwing a football long is pretty enjoyable, and running your ass off so you don't get tackled is quite the rush.

38-26-40

• Getbig IV
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2014, 11:05:32 PM »
Not much talent?  Oh brother.   ::)

It takes great strategy and technique, however no "wow factor" of talent...imo! We're all entitled to our own, right?

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2014, 11:31:52 PM »
both are pretty boring spectator sports.  soccer is universal and it's hard to trash a game that every kid in the world plays (or has played.) just need a ball and shoes.  but i could never become a fan of professional soccer unless they really cracked down on the ridiculous sissy diving all over the place.  really makes the game a joke.
for a slow paced sport, i prefer baseball.  for a physical fast paced sport ... hockey.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2014, 12:53:42 AM »
Actually this ''sport" is far more enjoyable to watch than Gridiron or Football:

www.lfl.com.au    (like LFL U.S.)
www.lflaustralia.com.au

I suport NSW Surge  :-* :-* :-*

No other sport come close to this "sport"  ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2014, 05:10:07 AM »
It takes great strategy and technique, however no "wow factor" of talent...imo! We're all entitled to our own, right?

No.   You have obviously never played.  Its like saying the sun isnt hot and thinking your opinion is just as valid.

I could argue that kicking a ball takes no talent, but of course it does at the pro level. 

monstermunch

• Getbig IV
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2014, 05:48:18 AM »
Commercials being a top reason why 'American football' is better sums it up  ;D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »
LMFAO again spoken like a truly ignorant fucking moron

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2014, 06:26:21 PM »
The Most Valuable NFL Teams

The National Football League continues to be the most lucrative sports league in the world.

The NFL’s 32 teams are worth, on average, $1.17 billion, 5% more than last year. The Cleveland Browns, a lousy team for years in a midsize market, sold for almost $1 billion last year.

In contrast, the world’s top 20 soccer teams have a mean value of $968 million.

Read more: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2013/08/14/the-most-valuable-nfl-teams/

You ever listen to Stefan Molyneux, RPF?

Just by reading your posts I would say politically I align myself with your beliefs more than damn near everyone else on here and I think you would really like this guy.

Anyways, in this video he explains how the NFL is able to rake in so much cash. It's a good listen.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »
whats with the inferiority complex that soccer fans have with the NFL?

how many threads are started about soccer and how we think it is for gay 120lb twinks who couldnt make the swimming team? Very few....

On the other hand it seems like every other day some shit stain from some second rate nation starts a thread about how they think football sucks and how soccer is great...

I can remember back in high school if you opened every fifth locker or so you would find some twinkish sized soccer player stuffed in there by an alpha male football player who was just looking to pass a little time.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2014, 06:30:24 PM »
You ever listen to Stefan Molyneux, RPF?

Just by reading your posts I would say politically I align myself with your beliefs more so damn near everyone else on here and I think you would really like this guy.

Anyways, in this video he explains how the NFL is able to rake in so much cash. It's a good listen.

Thanks Poly, I'll check it out now!! I always think the exact same when I read your posts!! My dear slingblade friend!!  :D

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »
Thanks Poly, I'll check it out now!! I always think the exact same when I read your posts!! My dear slingblade friend!!  :D

As a homeowner in Arlington TX, residence also of Jerry World(Cowboys) it got me a little pissed after watching this video but maybe after an excellent double meat burger with French fries and mustard and a local Doyle Hargraves performance(or at least Dwight Yoakam) I can somehow "PLAY THROUGH IT!!!"

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2014, 07:10:48 PM »
Soccer is just a cardio fest.

No brain needed. Perfect for poor countries, no real money needed. Football is very expensive to play. Not sure why nice white euro countries never picked up on football. Obviously the third world countries (savage Africa, South America yes including brazil etc.) cant afford the cost of football for the standard high school, where football players begin to cultivate.

Not knocking soccer in the slightest really, athleticism totally needed to run for hours and hours and yet retaining the perfectly sculpted hair cut and clean cut boyish face the whole time, and also having the discipline to not be on facebook on the field while nothing else of real relevance is going on. It is boring to watch, constant "where is the fucking ball" "why is this twink holding his leg" "he got really close to scoring, that would of made it an exciting 1-1 match" etc.

So basically : football= intelligent first world game of precision and power, and soccer=third world savage mongrel country game of endurance and getting stabbed and stomped out if the wrong team wins.

hope this helps.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2014, 07:37:01 PM »
As a homeowner in Arlington TX, residence also of Jerry World(Cowboys) it got me a little pissed after watching this video but maybe after an excellent double meat burger with French fries and mustard and a local Doyle Hargraves performance(or at least Dwight Yoakam) I can somehow "PLAY THROUGH IT!!!"

Yes!!! haha

I reckon

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2014, 07:48:52 PM »
Soccer is just a cardio fest.

No brain needed. Perfect for poor countries, no real money needed. Football is very expensive to play. Not sure why nice white euro countries never picked up on football. Obviously the third world countries (savage Africa, South America yes including brazil etc.) cant afford the cost of football for the standard high school, where football players begin to cultivate.

Not knocking soccer in the slightest really, athleticism totally needed to run for hours and hours and yet retaining the perfectly sculpted hair cut and clean cut boyish face the whole time, and also having the discipline to not be on facebook on the field while nothing else of real relevance is going on. It is boring to watch, constant "where is the fucking ball" "why is this twink holding his leg" "he got really close to scoring, that would of made it an exciting 1-1 match" etc.

So basically : football= intelligent first world game of precision and power, and soccer=third world savage mongrel country game of endurance and getting stabbed and stomped out if the wrong team wins.

hope this helps.

The 3rd World ?, wow  ::).

Germany,UK,Denmark,Finland,Japan,Australia,etc,. don't play your game & regarding to you we a the 3rd World  ???

I am very happy that you live in so perfect & so intelligent 1st World country without any human misery & poverty .

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2014, 07:59:37 PM »
This guy could hold his own on the pitch...