Author Topic: Philip Seymour Hoffman just died  (Read 12049 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman just died
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2014, 05:34:06 PM »
apols tu holmes

it was a cheap gag

a mate of ours put his pic up on Facebook- i responded with 'wasn't he the bloke who did the noises on police academy'

they put a picture up

i posted 'thats him black fella

they responded with 'he's white'

I gave up out of despair

Ah. I get it. No harm. :)

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »
Yes it's so easy to be an actor. I could do it myself but all those millions don't interest me.  ::)

Don't be a jackass.

Yes, you could be an actor, but without heaps of luck and knowing the right people, you wouldn't get anywhere ... just like the tens of thousands who also are actors and haven't gotten anywhere.

Some 12-year-old kid who's never acted in his life gets cast opposite some Hollywood legend and holds his own just fine ... A rapper who has never so much as starred in a high school production gets a gig in a big blockbuster and performs every bit as well as the established thespians alongside him ...

There are better and worse actors, sure, but even the best actors aren't in possession of some ultra-rare talent.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2014, 06:21:47 PM »
I have a theory about this... There seems to be a common thread between such amazing talent and addiction.

I think the very thing that made him such an incredible talent, is also the same thing that caused him to dabble in the first place. He immersed himself into everything he did 1,000%. For Philip, there was no holding back. He threw himself into his work, and it is that same desire to experience other characters 1000% that can lead people to want to experience other things with the same gusto. Some things however shouldn't be experienced. Heroin is one deadly addiction. Such a tragic loss.

It makes me fearful for others in whom I see this personality trait. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was reported that certain others also have substance issues. My thoughts go out to his family. Such a tragic loss.  :'(

oh, brother     GetBig's resident "actress" has spoken  ::)

Every time on of these self-indulgent queers bites the dust from drugs, you drag yourself away from your cash for gold scheme to "defend" him or her...PSH...and PSH alone...is completely responsible for what he chose to do to himself

While one can certainly feel compassion for his family (at least for the kids anyway), you look like a complete jackass trying to describe his death as "tragic."

K

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »
Apparently another source saying he was found dead in his bathroom with a needle in his arm
when will the people learn to stay away from synthol
n

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2014, 06:41:50 PM »

The best movie ever made about music radio.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2014, 06:42:38 PM »

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2014, 10:10:09 PM »
was great in mi 3

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2014, 10:11:11 PM »
very sad.  he was a cool cool actor.  

This was a great movie.  Marissa Tomei was incredibly hot and whorish here.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2014, 10:17:50 PM »
Always thought he would have made a great Joker for Batman. 
A

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2014, 10:46:13 PM »
Tone it down, man. Guy was an ACTOR. Hardly requires an unusual amount of talent.

EVERYONE these days is an actor. And this fact has quashed the myth that the thespian art is something special.

It isn't.

Are you kidding me? Are you saying that to try to be argumentative, or do you really believe that?
Let me assure you, that is simply NOT the case. Anyone can be an actor, ...however, not everyone can be a true thespian. Philip Seymour Hoffman was a true thespian.

Oh, and the dude chose his path. And now he's dead.

I won't argue with this. He chose his own path, and yes, ...tragically he is now dead.

*waits for the endless bullshit about how talented and amazing an individual he was*  ::)

NO BS, he was incredibly talented, and an amazing actor. Perhaps you don't recognize this because you are not familiar with the craft or technique involved, coupled with the fact that he performed so seamlessly. The brilliance of an actor is NOT pretending to be someone else, it is to strip away every aspect & facet of YOUR personality, leaving behind ONLY those aspects of who you are, that will portray the character.

Some "actors" or "stars" are always the same. Regardless of the characters they portray, you will always see 'them' in their performance. For me Matthew McConaughey is one of those actors (sorry Matthew), but Philip Seymour Hoffman put nothing of himself on the screen. His commitment to his characters was total. He WAS his characters.
w

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2014, 10:49:03 PM »
Heroin addict of peace  ::)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2014, 10:50:49 PM »
oh, brother     GetBig's resident "actress" has spoken  ::)

Every time on of these self-indulgent queers bites the dust from drugs, you drag yourself away from your cash for gold scheme to "defend" him or her...PSH...and PSH alone...is completely responsible for what he chose to do to himself

While one can certainly feel compassion for his family (at least for the kids anyway), you look like a complete jackass trying to describe his death as "tragic."

Who is defending his heroin use? Making sense of something is not defending it.
The man was using heroin, overdosed and died... what's to defend about that?
The only thing I defend is his talent as an actor. He was truly one of the greats.
And yes, it is tragic, ...a tragic waste of talent & potential. A husband, lover, father, actor is dead...
...because of an addiction to heroin! That is a tragic loss to his family, his loved ones, and the artistic community.
w

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2014, 11:01:42 PM »
Are you kidding me? Are you saying that to try to be argumentative, or do you really believe that?
Let me assure you, that is simply NOT the case. Anyone can be an actor, ...however, not everyone can be a true thespian. Philip Seymour Hoffman was a true thespian. NO BS, he was incredibly talented, and an amazing actor. Perhaps you don't recognize this because you are not familiar with the craft or technique involved, coupled with the fact that he performed so seamlessly. The brilliance of an actor is NOT pretending to be someone else, it is to strip away every aspect & facet of YOUR personality, leaving behind ONLY those aspects of who you are, that will portray the character. Some "actors" or "stars" are always the same. Regardless of the characters they portray, you will always see 'them' in their performance. For me Matthew McConaughey is one of those actors (sorry Matthew), but Philip Seymour Hoffman put nothing of himself on the screen. His commitment to his characters was total. He WAS his characters.

No, I am not kidding. Acting isn't some big deal. The "craft", as you say (oh, brother), is one of the least impressive artistic talents; if not THE least impressive.

And as far as this Hoffman guy, well, I see him in every role he has ever done.

The big sham has been exposed, as I say. Acting is not much of a talent.

Put it this way. There are much more talented people walking the streets of any city on any given day, anywhere, than all these glorified "artists" known as actors.

What a racket it all is. Huge awards shows to "honour" a bunch of people who took the whole drama class schtick too far after high school. Believing in the whole "craft" nonsense.

I love movies. But the true talent is ALWAYS behind the camera, not in front of it.  

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2014, 11:12:49 PM »
He died for you bitches!!!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2014, 12:11:18 AM »
It's better to burn out then fade away

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2014, 12:51:06 AM »
eminent actor. RIP.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2014, 12:58:18 AM »
Love, Liza was a great one man show of his.  Haven't seen it mentioned.

Hiitsmichael

• Getbig II
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2014, 01:22:35 AM »
He was a good actor captivating presence on screen the kind of guy who demands attention without having to open his mouth. Sucked in hunger games, I do agree acting is a somewhat dumbed down art, the talent behind it is captivating the audience with your emotion which even though sounds easy is rarely ever done. If you want to see the difference in acting ability watch a b rate sci fi movie then go watch An a list actor. You can use the same argument about there being 100s of thousands of amateur actors who just don't have the connections but that arguement holds true to anything, sports for example.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2014, 01:40:33 AM »
No, I am not kidding. Acting isn't some big deal. The "craft", as you say (oh, brother), is one of the least impressive artistic talents; if not THE least impressive.

And as far as this Hoffman guy, well, I see him in every role he has ever done.

The big sham has been exposed, as I say. Acting is not much of a talent.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Put it this way. There are much more talented people walking the streets of any city on any given day, anywhere, than all these glorified "artists" known as actors.

I don't dispute there is a ton of undiscovered talent out there.
Understand, there's a huge difference between "stars" & "actors". Philip was in the latter category.

What a racket it all is. Huge awards shows to "honour" a bunch of people who took the whole drama class schtick too far after high school. Believing in the whole "craft" nonsense.

I never said there was any shortage of egos in the industry. lol
If you understood the craft, you'd know why so many celebrate people's accomplishments in the craft.

"Took the drama class schtick too far after high school?" ??? ...making $100,000K plus per yr in passive residual income from one bloody commercial, making upwards of hundreds of thousands per year in royalties for previous work, and if one excels to certain levels multiple millions of dollars per project?? vs. what? busting your hump labouring for peanuts, or stressed out in an office cubicle for peanuts? Ya right!  ::)

I love movies. But the true talent is ALWAYS behind the camera, not in front of it.  

There's no shortage of talent behind the camera either. Every day I went to work I was invariably blown away with the incredible talent I got to work with behind the scenes. Some of the most talented, creative, and innovative people work behind the scenes from set designers, costume designers, set decs. The movie going audience often doesn't appreciate what incredible innovative talent exists behind the scenes. Most everytime I walked onto a film set (especially in studio) I was always in awe of the exceptional creative talent that I got to witness first hand, creativity that's often seamlessly lost on the screen. Seeing set designers get into the mind of another, and creating some of the most lavish looking sets on the cheap always blew me away. One of my biggest Holy Cow moments was in viewing the one of the sets created on "The Raven". I couldn't believe what the set designer had pulled off, with the materials used. Seeing it up close, and knowing the actual materials used, ...then seeing the effect on camera was a total mindf**k! Just brilliance!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those people who think it's all highbrow thespian art. It's show business. There's alot of schlock that's simply banged out, paint by numbers, ...others big budget "blockbusters" geared more to the "business" and the "box office" or the "propaganda mill". However, every once in a while, the collaborative, creative process produces some absolute gems.
w

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2014, 01:52:13 AM »
sa news but he didn't respect his life. I'll never understand why people with so much money, no financial worries and set for life need to escape reality with the use of drugs  :-\

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2014, 01:53:20 AM »
He was a good actor captivating presence on screen the kind of guy who demands attention without having to open his mouth. Sucked in hunger games, I do agree acting is a somewhat dumbed down art, the talent behind it is captivating the audience with your emotion which even though sounds easy is rarely ever done. If you want to see the difference in acting ability watch a b rate sci fi movie then go watch An a list actor. You can use the same argument about there being 100s of thousands of amateur actors who just don't have the connections but that arguement holds true to anything, sports for example.

It isn't even about A list or B list actors. When you have a great director & great cinematographer, you can capture the talent that exists. It also helps if you're working with professionals which naturally ups your game. Some people won't take a project unless they like the directors work. Others don't care about the role, they just want the ability to work with a particular individual because they know that with them, magic will happen.

It's like a photo. A photographer can capture the moment in a way a bad photographer cannot.
Doesn't mean the moment (or in the case of actors; the sequence) isn't there, merely that it wasn't properly captured. I'm thinking of one particular MOW where the dailies made me want to cry. Thankfully, the studio fired the director, hired a different one, who brought in his own cinematographer and we re-shot the entire movie. Same actors, same performances, same script, same lines, ...a whole little outcome.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2014, 01:57:56 AM »
sa news but he didn't respect his life. I'll never understand why people with so much money, no financial worries and set for life need to escape reality with the use of drugs  :-\

I don't know if in Philip's case it was a desire to escape reality so much as it was a desire to experience everything to the max. A desire that took a hold of him. Who knows. He's battled depression for years. It's easier to be a drug addict when you're rich than if you're poor.

When you're poor, you realize pretty quickly that this expensive stuff has got to stop... you can't afford it.
I'm sure most quit before they reach the point of addiction simply because their finances don't allow it.
When you're rich, there is no such barrier. You grab hold of the bull, and end up with the horns. Addiction is a biyatch!
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2014, 02:01:20 AM »
sa news but he didn't respect his life. I'll never understand why people with so much money, no financial worries and set for life need to escape reality with the use of drugs  :-\

...as well, money doesn't solve all your problems, ...it simply amplifies the problems you already have.

Granted, ...it can allow you to work out whatever problems you have in style.  ;D  :P
w

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2014, 03:39:11 AM »
Don't be a jackass.

Yes, you could be an actor, but without heaps of luck and knowing the right people, you wouldn't get anywhere ... just like the tens of thousands who also are actors and haven't gotten anywhere.

Some 12-year-old kid who's never acted in his life gets cast opposite some Hollywood legend and holds his own just fine ... A rapper who has never so much as starred in a high school production gets a gig in a big blockbuster and performs every bit as well as the established thespians alongside him ...

There are better and worse actors, sure, but even the best actors aren't in possession of some ultra-rare talent.

I agree. There are also other factors that the public never realizes nor do the actors themselves.

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2014, 04:17:40 AM »
Red Dragon.